Sign in to follow this  
Zhukov011

Minelayer/ cruiser Should we have mines in WoW?

21 comments in this topic

Players
16 posts
1,008 battles

Ola folks!

Below you see a Picture of a 1/96 scale model i have in my collection of HMS Welshman M-84.

She was a Abdiel class Minelayer and one of the fastest ships of world war 2. She could get up to 40 kts on a good day.

Apart for beeing used as a minelayer she also did express deliveries and supplies btw Gibraltar and Malta.

She could do that stretch overnight.

I would like to see minelaying  and sweeping in WoW.

I think it deserves  it's place and it will spice up the game for sure.

Both layers and sweepers are vunerable  so team work is essential

But i think it can add loads of fun and ad a fear factor in the game.

Regards

A .J

Untitled.jpg

• Cool 3

Players
921 posts
7,192 battles

Minelayers would be preferable to CVs at lower tiers, I think (and more realistic). Quite problematic, though - easily abused by anyone wanting to grief their team, strong possibility of team killing....

Players
16 posts
1,008 battles

I know it will have some challenges to implement. Maybe Friendly layed mines should be visible clearly to the team who lays them.  And for the enemy team Mine spotters could become a module that you can add to your ship to increase visib range.  Ports should also play a part in WoW. As these ships were also used as couriers maybe you can do delivery runs under time and add bonus points to your team. Imagine you have drop of supplies in a harbour within a certain time limit. It could introduce a whole new game within the game.Almost like a race game within  the multipayer enviroment and all taking place under enemy fire. Sounds like fun to me

Players
440 posts
5,824 battles

No (although I find the idea interesting) simply because tomatoes will die even faster.........tomatoes already have enough problem to make their ship go forward so we really don't need to add more complexity to this game.

Players
16 posts
1,008 battles

The problem realy is that the maps are too small to implement it all.

I think the game could unlock soo much more potential if they make the maps bigger.

You could really get much more out of it.

Even sailing cargo vessels for instance, deliver your load on time adds bonus to your team.

I am just dreaming about bigger maps

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
5,054 posts
2,939 battles
On 10/11/2017 at 3:07 AM, Zhukov011 said:

She was a Abdiel class Minelayer and one of the fastest ships of world war 2. She could get up to 40 kts on a good day.

Which means that dozens of classes from about every navy (excepted maybe America which maybe doesn't have a full dozen) could go faster than her.

Fastest British doesn't mean fastest of WWII and being amongst the "100 fastest" classes doesn't make you amongst "the fastest".

Appart from that, mines, yes, why not. A couple of countries have high-speed mine-layers or converted ships that could form a mine layer group, or had mines on regular vessels. Of course, it'll never get implemented cause tomatoes will die on mines then rage hard and WG will either nerf them to death or remove them. But it'd be awesome to have this strategical possibility.

Players
16 posts
1,008 battles
2 hours ago, LastButterfly said:

Which means that dozens of classes from about every navy (excepted maybe America which maybe doesn't have a full dozen) could go faster than her.

Fastest British doesn't mean fastest of WWII and being amongst the "100 fastest" classes doesn't make you amongst "the fastest".

Appart from that, mines, yes, why not. A couple of countries have high-speed mine-layers or converted ships that could form a mine layer group, or had mines on regular vessels. Of course, it'll never get implemented cause tomatoes will die on mines then rage hard and WG will either nerf them to death or remove them. But it'd be awesome to have this strategical possibility.

One of the fastest....  ONE OF THE..... Not THE fastest ...but ONE OF THE fastest...lol

And offcourse Speed is relative to weight , waves height etc etc .

For her size (beeing a cruiser) she was ONE of the fastest.

Fast minelaying cruiser to be exact

Players
440 posts
5,824 battles

Even bigger maps???

No no and no, tomatoes are already camping on the map's borders -> make the maps bigger -> tomatoes will be even further from the action -> then I am pretty sure at least me and several friends will leave this game and I would be plenty of other decent players too.

Players
921 posts
7,192 battles

The problem with larger maps is that slower ships are massively disadvantaged from the outset. If you play American BBs - which even at Tier VII are still trundling around at below 25kt - then you'll know the problem. Spawn location is key, and if the action happens on the other side of the map then you'll never get involved. 

Super-light cruisers like Abdiel are something I'd like to see in the game, though: Atlanta works well, so why not Dido and Abdiel? Mines would be a decent addition (overall probably less irritating than premium CVs with their gimmicks...)

[SM0KE]
Players
2,070 posts
5,839 battles

I'm only speaking from a lower tier perspective, but mines might work, although you'd have to be very careful with the implementation.

I suspect a lot of realism would have to be sacrificed to make them playable though. Perhaps a mechanic where they are essentially stationary torps, that ships can spot when they get to a certain distance away (how far?)? I'd suggest that once one ship spots a mine, they stay spotted for everyone. I would also suggest a minimum arming time, so you couldn't just drop them in front of friendlies (if you're being a Richard), or use them for brawling.

Essentially, they'd end up as area-denial weapons, and big stuff (BBs) could just barge straight through at least one (I'm thinking typical torpedo damage, and flooding etc).

Like a torp, once a mine detonated, that's it i.e. you wouldn't place a minefield; you would place individual mines. If you're feeling keen, you could perhaps toggle deep/shallow placement (the former would miss DDs, like the upcoming torps)?

It could work, but I can't imagine it'll get implemented though, because there are plenty of better things to do first...

[SM0KE]
Players
2,070 posts
5,839 battles
20 minutes ago, GhostRider_24 said:

can we have an instant detonation should we hit a minelayer with a shell :Smile_trollface:

Now, that would be a good excuse for some pretty graphics...!

Players
2,380 posts
15,503 battles

Love me some go fast boats.

Ariadne has a monstrous AA suite in 1946 (136 DPS from 3.5km) although I'd take an end of war Manxman with three RP51 mounts (firing normal shells) Tax free of course...

[ASEET]
Beta Tester
118 posts
4,043 battles

But we alread have mines. See Sims and Black :cap_book:

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,296 posts
7,550 battles
2 hours ago, Skiie said:

But we alread have mines. See Sims and Black :cap_book:

^^ this (damn i came to late that was the first i thought when i saw that topic just now)

on Topic: No.

It opens to many doors for griefers. Even if you do a minimum arming time and clear warnings, nothing stops them from intentionally blocking important access points for example to caps (on YOUR side) or creep up on a friendly cv that is stationary for most of the first quarter of the battle and surround him with a minefield while they are busy with their Bombers and not watching, then watch him go boom when he repositions.... (or traped unable to run from the aproaching enemys)

Edit: Oh also inb4 Lenin/Khaba doing those deliveryruns even faster than you while still shooting the aproaching enemy.....

• Cool 1

Players
2,380 posts
15,503 battles
3 hours ago, Miessa3 said:

Edit: Oh also inb4 Lenin/Khaba doing those deliveryruns even faster than you while still shooting the aproaching enemy.....

Does Lenin even have a cargo hold? :cap_haloween:

Stock Abdiel has 36% higher DPM and sets 43% more fires than Lenin. Who needs torpedoes or mines... :Smile_honoring:

[RONIN]
Players
38 posts

Maybe we would need Minesweeper ships to complete the game's renewal. There are those who lay the mines and who takes them off. The game would take hours! :Smile_teethhappy:

Sign in to follow this