Sign in to follow this  
Zogash85

Duke of York

25 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
516 posts
4,160 battles

So, as I'm sure many of you are aware, HMS Duke of York (17) is soon™ coming to the game as a Tier 7 premium BB.

(Images courtesy: The Daily Bounce)

Duke-of-York-5.thumb.png.d6728d4d6390eb26be09dc81a75c4d68.png

At first glance, she looks like a (rather uninspired) clone of the lead ship of her class, the King George V, and by and large, she is - with two major differences, both in the consumable department:

Spoiler

DoY.thumb.jpg.86d6ba35b3473b56041008f3fcc71e93.jpg

The first thing to catch the eye is that, like HMS Hood, she can equip the Defensive AA consumable, or unlike any other BBs except the Germans, Hydroacoustic Search. Splendid.

But then it hits you: there's no Slot 3. There's no Repair Party consumable. Whaaaaa...??? A BB, and neither a particularly well-armored nor an extraordinarly sneaky or noticably quick one at that, with an average HP pool for its tier - without the ability to heal?! That I'm curious on how they are planning to compensate for this glaring weakness is an understatement.

Thoughts? Ideas? Speculations? Discuss!

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,141 posts
5,915 battles

Pass

[SINT]
Players
292 posts
13,502 battles

I am close to aquire again 375K Free XP. Have both the Missouri and Nelson. I like the Nelson, less sucesfull with MO since i have problems adapting to high tier playstyle but atleast she makes me silver even in co-op...So never passed over any free ship (even guilty of buying some additioneel free xp for Mo)

So now the DoY...Sigh..really the gut feeling is like no...not interested..even when my 375 Free XP is actualy free, aquired by just playing.. I dont free xp modules anymore also because i reached the lines of silver ships that i want to reach. So the Free xp, its there but absolute no incentitive to waste free xp on a ship i wont like, a ship that feels wrong, a ship i dont even want in my harbor just for “have”.

The DoY just makes me sad..

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,132 posts
11,682 battles

It's meant to have a 30s burn instead of a 60s one.

Means with the right buffs it'll be really low...

I was interested until I saw the stats. Basically it's a KGV minus heal but with Hydro or AA plus a fireproof coating.

Why can't WG make a T8 one with more realistic armour and give it strong performing 14" AP? Could switch to HE vs stuff you can't pen but the AP should be accurate and hit hard enough that they're the encouraged shell of choice.

• Cool 3

[DREAD]
Players
358 posts

Doesn't she have a shitty DPM as well, having only a 30 second reload? I honestly don't get that ship. Looks like a BB, that really really really wants to be a cruiser... 30 seconds fire, if it is true sounds nice... but no repair is simply so odd.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,132 posts
11,682 battles
1 minute ago, josykay said:

Doesn't she have a shitty DPM as well, having only a 30 second reload? I honestly don't get that ship. Looks like a BB, that really really really wants to be a cruiser... 30 seconds fire, if it is true sounds nice... but no repair is simply so odd.

Historically the KGV class was 30s for reload roughly, WG artificially buffed it as they gutted the armour.

There's a lot that can be done with the soft stats, guess we'll have to wait and see.

[DREAD]
Players
358 posts
7 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

Historically the KGV class was 30s for reload roughly, WG artificially buffed it as they gutted the armour.

There's a lot that can be done with the soft stats, guess we'll have to wait and see.

Well, historical rates of fire are pretty much nonexistent, neither for BBs nor cruisers... So I  was suprised, why the sister ship gets such a terrible RoF.

Bayern for example had a reloadtime of 23 seconds... while the british 381 mm guns were at 36 seconds. However, ingame both are at 30 seconds.

And in this specific case, well they are sisters, they use the same guns. But well, Queen Elizabeth and Warspite use the same guns and shells but got different HE stats. Logic. :P

• Cool 2

Players
393 posts
17,086 battles
57 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

It's meant to have a 30s burn instead of a 60s one.

Means with the right buffs it'll be really low...

I was interested until I saw the stats. Basically it's a KGV minus heal but with Hydro or AA plus a fireproof coating.

Why can't WG make a T8 one with more realistic armour and give it strong performing 14" AP? Could switch to HE vs stuff you can't pen but the AP should be accurate and hit hard enough that they're the encouraged shell of choice.

Would like to see her at 8 with  heal,  KGV reload,  and thicker hull,  be an interesting  'bruiser'

[SSA]
Players
523 posts
16,281 battles
On 09/11/2017 at 11:06 PM, creamgravy said:

dAA will be handy agasint these... :cap_tea:

Q3hcnjl.jpg

Bb5fSmC.jpg

Since you're playing that operation on the Japanese side those will be allied among the planes you're supposed to protect.

Players
2,381 posts
15,503 battles
Just now, rnat said:

Since you're playing that operation on the Japanese side those will be allied planes.

Yep. I think DoY is a boss for the operation, maybe with Salem.

Beta Tester
1,929 posts
7,756 battles
On 9/11/2017 at 10:12 PM, josykay said:

Well, historical rates of fire are pretty much nonexistent, neither for BBs nor cruisers... So I  was suprised, why the sister ship gets such a terrible RoF.

Bayern for example had a reloadtime of 23 seconds... while the british 381 mm guns were at 36 seconds. However, ingame both are at 30 seconds.

And in this specific case, well they are sisters, they use the same guns. But well, Queen Elizabeth and Warspite use the same guns and shells but got different HE stats. Logic. :P

Only in this game do RoF matter, IRL the practical RoF for battleship calibre guns was about 1- 1.2 shots a minute due to shell travelling time to target and the time it took to adjust fire after observing the splashes.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,132 posts
11,682 battles
7 minutes ago, G01ngToxicCommand0 said:

Only in this game do RoF matter, IRL the practical RoF for battleship calibre guns was about 1- 1.2 shots a minute due to shell travelling time to target and the time it took to adjust fire after observing the splashes.

Don't mention that here... Some German BB fanboys will claim Tirpitz could fire 3 rounds a minute and it should reflect that in game :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1

[DREAD]
Players
358 posts
16 hours ago, G01ngToxicCommand0 said:

Yeah,  a "historic" naval battle game would look like this: You have around 1-2% chance to hit, engagements last for hours, and end, with most of your team steaming away.... If you find the enemy... And no islands everywhere. Ocean map only. :P

But my initial point was: We got two KGV ships. With the same guns. Why different rofs?

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,613 posts
5,167 battles
19 hours ago, G01ngToxicCommand0 said:

True enough, until you achieved a straddle then it was open season on rate of fire (unlike the RN BC's post Dogger through to Jutland where it was the other way around...).

During USS Idaho's 'fire to exhaustion exercise' each salvo averaged 1 min 24 seconds intervals. (In the exercise the ship continued firing salvo's as quick as it could until the magazine were exhausted - but given that the time taken to move shells from within the magazines to the hoists would get longer as the crew would have to actually shift the things further.. but it is still a long way from 2 shots per min).

But my initial point was: We got two KGV ships. With the same guns. Why different rofs?

WG - "reasons".... 

• Cool 1

[FOX]
Beta Tester
26 posts
2,969 battles

Looking at the pictures, it looks like her historical 1945 AA scheme has been gutted by WG since the first announcement picture. Her quad pom-poms have all been removed and there's now a very obvious unused space on the aft superstructure where the quad bofors should be. Yet it's not a post-war 'reduced manpower' config either as there are too many Oerlikons.

"We try to keep premiums are kept in historical configuration". Sure.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,132 posts
11,682 battles
11 hours ago, Grimsley said:

Looking at the pictures, it looks like her historical 1945 AA scheme has been gutted by WG since the first announcement picture. Her quad pom-poms have all been removed and there's now a very obvious unused space on the aft superstructure where the quad bofors should be. Yet it's not a post-war 'reduced manpower' config either as there are too many Oerlikons.

The key word is "try", how hard WG "tries"? Well we all know the answer to that :cap_old:

Way too much to ask for a solid T8 KGV with as much historical armour and armament as possible. Give her accurate 14"' AP with decent but not OP HE and I'm sure most of us could sort out the rest ourselves...

Players
723 posts
5,774 battles
On 11/17/2017 at 1:52 AM, Grimsley said:

See here (should be the last post on that page right now): https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/31444-some-interesting-info-around-the-world/?page=202 It mentions that "Rearranged and re-config.ed the AA guns on Duke of York." That means that the above picture is now out of date. Unless the text refers to the changes that resulted in the above pictured model.

[FOX]
Beta Tester
26 posts
2,969 battles
1 hour ago, SmartassNoob said:

See here (should be the last post on that page right now): https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/31444-some-interesting-info-around-the-world/?page=202 It mentions that "Rearranged and re-config.ed the AA guns on Duke of York." That means that the above picture is now out of date. Unless the text refers to the changes that resulted in the above pictured model.

Yeah saw that this morning - if the updated SEA group page AA tab is accurate thankfully it looks like they may have brought the historical AA back with the latest update.

Probably worth waiting for closer to release to see which one they opt for in the end. Needless to say I really hope that they keep the IRL configuration rather than spoil it as a lazy tradeoff to shoehorn the ship into a certain consumable/tier.

Players
2,381 posts
15,503 battles

Uh oh, looks like WG really have lost their minds and turned DoY into a cruiser.

It now costs 9800 doubloons and has a collector's Edition flag.

SXTjVvD.png 

To recap.

Cruiser fire duration (30s)

Cruiser consumables (Generic tier 7 Defensive AA or Hydroacoustic Search)

Cruiser repair party. (5s duration, 60s reload)

No heal.

AP with ricochet angle at 60°/67.5° (like Hood)

Guns have a 30s reload (guess they're correctly nerfing KGV to a 30s reload too, 25s a bit much for tier 7)

So, who wants to spend £30 on a useless a port decoration? (God knows why they don't turn it into normal tier 8 premium)

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,132 posts
11,682 battles
8 hours ago, creamgravy said:

Uh oh, looks like WG really have lost their minds and turned DoY into a cruiser.

It now costs 9800 doubloons and has a collector's Edition flag.

SXTjVvD.png 

To recap.

Cruiser fire duration (30s)

Cruiser consumables (Generic tier 7 Defensive AA or Hydroacoustic Search)

Cruiser repair party. (5s duration, 60s reload)

No heal.

AP with ricochet angle at 60°/67.5° (like Hood)

Guns have a 30s reload (guess they're correctly nerfing KGV to a 30s reload too, 25s a bit much for tier 7)

So, who wants to spend £30 on a useless a port decoration? (God knows why they don't turn it into normal tier 8 premium)

If that's true I'm actually interested now. 

All she would be missing is good accuracy so the sAP can be fully exploited. 

Players
2,381 posts
15,503 battles
On 22/11/2017 at 2:04 AM, Negativvv said:

If that's true I'm actually interested now. 

All she would be missing is good accuracy so the sAP can be fully exploited. 

DoY will need much better accuracy to be playable, with no heal it's probably one of the most fragile ships in the game.

Max HP.

Fiji = 52,000 (+ smoke, stealth)

DoY = 60,500

Scharnhorst = 100,000 (+ armoured hull)

KGV = 110,000

Nagato = 120,000

Hood = 125,000 (+ armoured hull)

Nelson = 170,000 (+ 32mm hull)

Defensive AA is worthless on a BB with rubbish DP guns.

Tier 7 hydro is slightly better but you'll never use it on a super large, fragile cruiser.

I hate the idea of turning a KGV into a cruiser, WG have truly lost the plot ...but if they must persist in this madness.

1. 32mm all over to protect from all those BB LOLpens and IFHE Atlanta/Flint/destroyers toying with you like a mouse.

2. Tier 8 equipment slot to reduce concealment to 10.9km

3. RN CL Smoke (you won't be able to fire from it but it'll help you run)

Edit:

They've added a 2.05 sigma, put dAA and hydro on different slots and reduced the reload to 25s. Still unplayable.

Sign in to follow this