You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Rosletyne

What am I doing wrong?

38 comments in this topic

[-CC-]
Players
198 posts
12,264 battles

Some time ago I unlocked my tier 9 destroyers and cruisers, and since then my karma has taken a sharp dive. It does not seem to matter whether I live or die, either way someone gets mad at me, usually on my own team.

Here is one replay of a game I had today, which earned me two reports. One of them was from a Friedrich der Grosse who decided to push into a superior enemy force and show his broadside, and who had a meltdown and blamed his team for lack of support when he predictably died. The other was from a Conqueror, whose division including a Des Moines and Midway failed to score a single kill between them, and who got killed by the enemy carrier despite his friend using the air superiority loadout. Needless to say, I outscored the lot of them.

What I'd like to know is what should I have done? This is the second time I've been reported for being a full HP noob, despite doing what I believe a cruiser should - avoiding getting hit and dealing damage where I can. Yeah, there was that moment about halfway where I made a strange turn and got myself beached, which enabled the enemy Alabama to escape. That was admittedly a mistake, and I can't remember why I did it. I may have been distracted by the flames in chat.

20171108_161556_PASC017-Baltimore-1944_37_Ridge.wowsreplay

Players
1,459 posts
15,148 battles

I haven't watched the replay.

Advice #1: Do not care about your karma. It will rise and drop and it doesn't have to do much with your actions. (Though it's much easier to make it go down than up.) If the enemy reports you it's actually a compliment. ;)

Advice #2: If people annoy you in chat, mute them. Hold 'Tab', right-click on the player, select the mute option. You can Blacklist him here as well if you wish to.

It's advisable to grow a thick skin if you want to have fun playing multiplayer online games. Reason: people.

• Cool 5

[NWP]
Players
3,995 posts
6,038 battles

Watched the Replay, im just writing things which come to my mind in no specific order, but first most important thing:

U cant take Karma too seriously. It doesnt matter if u play good or bad or insult someone, u WILL get reported. If someones pissed because u killed him, he might report u... but back to the game:

- Right at the beginning u showed too much broadside (when the Shimakaze spots u), lucky u didnt die or get severely punished from it.

- When u kite away and spam the BBs with HE, u can slow down that u wont extend over your shooting range, when u shot the Monarch in A u were showing lots of broadside again to the other ships which were at the islands. Once again u were lucky they didnt shoot u, but if u would have turned your turrets u would have showed less broadside to the other ships.

- The BBs were pretty bad themselves, Moskva was tanking at the beginning and they were hiding behind him. When the enemy team rushed the Cap with 4 BBs and the HIndenburg, kiting away would have been the better option for all of u, but staying within shooting range :) Also Tirpitz rushing in blindly... :Smile_facepalm:

- The Alabama was a MUST kill when he was fleeing, no matter what, u should have gone for him.

- Attacking a Cruiser for being full HP :Smile_facepalm:[edited]it, total BBabies, i wouldnt give a crap about them.

- Technically your Team failed at B/C too, your team had 2 caps i believe, but some ppl just keep pushing too far.

- But going behind the islands down at A/B line wasnt too good either, maybe u should get more in positions where u can use your radar (just in general, alltho the map isnt that good for it, atleast i dislike it)

- The division on your team was bad id say. I didnt pay attention to them, but since u lost on both flanks others are to blame aswell.

Is your captain still retraining? because only 2 consumables. Also id use Premium Consumables.

Players
3,846 posts
6,015 battles
34 minutes ago, Rosletyne said:

and since then my karma has taken a sharp dive

Ive lost around 80% of my Karma since I started playing RN Cruisers. Then I played Orion and lost most of the remaining Karma. Now im almost back to 0, a few weeks Fiji should do the trick. Just f*c* Karma, first of all.

Now after /rant over. Ive watched the replay. Sure you could have done things different, I would have at a few points. But before getting into details, Id say this: Would it made any difference in the result? Nope, with the BBs playing like this, the round was lost, im pretty sure. The Moskva in the start positions himself pretty good imo, but he doesnt get any backup from the BBs - the armada you are cruising through while going back. Thats why that side totaly collapses. The Alabama even missplays, cuz he pushes past the cap into you guys - If i were you I would have made sure, he dies. He wasnt shooting at you either. But it wouldnt have turned the matchresults so its not worth to talk about anymore.

• Cool 1

[-TXG-]
Players
2,406 posts
4 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

Ive lost around 80% of my Karma since I started playing RN Cruisers.

I've lost all of mine since buying the Belfast :Smile_Default:   I take it as a compliment.

Players
3,655 posts
7,328 battles

What am I doing wrong?

Not a great deal to be honest, you'd have probably been better off moving to the East side of the map to try and push onto the B cap and then maybe get flanking shots into the enemy on A, moving straight north up towards line B is what got you reported although it wasn't terrible play given the position of the enemy ships.

Unfortunately the way it works is that players tend to spot players "out of position" but don't understand why you ended up in that position and then start throwing accusations around because you're the one who's obviously at fault. 

I think I got reported in the ARP Kongo on Shards yesterday for ending up on line one (north spawn, I was supporting A cap), what they didn't see was me taking away 95% of a Fiji's HP in 2 salvos then angling to keep distance from an Ernst Gaede (at about 7km) whilst trying to keep my guns to bear on him, all they saw when both ships were sunk was me on line one, so "go play tetris noob".  I've also had it when I was brawling with both a Hood and a Bismarck, sank them both then get called out for being "out of postion".

Ignore the FdG, he's played 65 games in cruisers and is nothing special in a BB, the Conq (I think) is a good player but he'd have been better off directing his anger at the players who sank quickly.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,869 posts
14,215 battles

QWIBWAg.png

Don't believe all these filthy scrubs. Karma is the most important statistic in the game and a superb indicator of your personal skill and mannerisms as well as your success in real life. :Smile_trollface:

On a more serious note, afaik karma currently only influences how many reports you need to get chat-banned. RU is the only server that hands out small rewards for having high karma. You can completely disregard it as a value.

As for my personal score, I tend to play ships that make others cry and use very... "colorful language" in chat targeting my teammates whenever I see them doing something stupid. For whatever reason my karma seems to be growing every month. No idea how I'm achieving that.

• Cool 3

[SNUBS]
Players
1,287 posts
6,828 battles
4 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Don't believe all these filthy scrubs. Karma is the most important statistic in the game and a superb indicator of your personal skill and mannerisms as well as your success in real life. 

you clearly need to division up with me :Smile_playing:

il *help* u get rid of that karma :Smile_hiding::cap_haloween:

• Cool 2

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
4,155 posts
10,966 battles
1 hour ago, El2aZeR said:

QWIBWAg.png

Don't believe all these filthy scrubs. Karma is the most important statistic in the game and a superb indicator of your personal skill and mannerisms as well as your success in real life. :Smile_trollface:

On a more serious note, afaik karma currently only influences how many reports you need to get chat-banned. RU is the only server that hands out small rewards for having high karma. You can completely disregard it as a value.

As for my personal score, I tend to play ships that make others cry and use very... "colorful language" in chat targeting my teammates whenever I see them doing something stupid. For whatever reason my karma seems to be growing every month. No idea how I'm achieving that.

Karma influences so much more. It determines the most important commodity in this game: THE NUMBER OF REPORTS YOU CAN GIVE PER DAY. Although I think it's maxed out well before reaching a hundred :Smile-_tongue:

[WGB]
Players
2,062 posts
26,025 battles

Don't beat yourself up about it, It was a team [edited]-up, your DD's played there part and defended caps as long as possible, but nobody was defending them.

Fork Karma, I don't ever look at mine, why would I? I don't need a glory halo to tell me i'm playing good or shite, i just need to smile after each game.

[-CC-]
Players
198 posts
12,264 battles
1 hour ago, DFens_666 said:

Is your captain still retraining? Because only 2 consumables.

It was. I finished retraining in the next match. This was why I had no Priority Target in that match, and I'm missing the hull and gun upgrades too. I have full mods, though I'm considering replacing the fire rate module with range. 15.8km really is not much in something that fragile.

I know I was lucky not to get shot at - although is it luck if you get reported for it? I often count on being undetected before anyone can turn their turrets at me, or my target being occupied with something else.

[ST-EU]
Supertest Coordinator, Alpha Tester
393 posts
8,118 battles

@OP: don't mind the reports that are based mostly on hate. My karma seems to fluctuate regardless of in-game performance. In fact it seems to go down whenever I'm driving something and I'm doing too good in it.

For now, the karma number is a rather meaningless number, since there isn't really anything tied to it - meaning rewards or penalties.

Players
3,655 posts
7,328 battles
11 minutes ago, Rosletyne said:

It was. I finished retraining in the next match. This was why I had no Priority Target in that match, and I'm missing the hull and gun upgrades too. I have full mods, though I'm considering replacing the fire rate module with range. 15.8km really is not much in something that fragile.

Retraining your captain in random is not something you should be doing at higher tiers, likewise you shouldn't be grinding major upgrades in random either, playing a ship without a trained captain and lacking major upgrades just isn't being fair on the rest of your team.

16 minutes ago, Rosletyne said:

I know I was lucky not to get shot at - although is it luck if you get reported for it?

Playing a stock hull at T9 might get you reported, it's something that can be seen by all and isn't good play for the reasons mentioned above.

Players
1,091 posts
7,357 battles
6 minutes ago, Capra76 said:

Playing a stock hull at T9 might get you reported, it's something that can be seen by all and isn't good play for the reasons mentioned above

Really? That does sound a bit precious, but I guess that's how it gets with the Elite Tiers. :)

[NWP]
Players
3,995 posts
6,038 battles
36 minutes ago, Rosletyne said:

I know I was lucky not to get shot at - although is it luck if you get reported for it?

I definetely get reported less for raging in chat, because if i see some potatoes doing stupid stuff i tend to tell them that. But winning a match, being on the top of the scoreboard and getting reported? Can only happen because of salty enemies...

18 minutes ago, Capra76 said:

Retraining your captain in random is not something you should be doing at higher tiers, likewise you shouldn't be grinding major upgrades in random either, playing a ship without a trained captain and lacking major upgrades just isn't being fair on the rest of your team.

Playing a stock hull at T9 might get you reported, it's something that can be seen by all and isn't good play for the reasons mentioned above.

Well i mean playing coop for dozens of matches is not fun either? Cant really blame anyone for not using Freexp when WG is throwing things like Missouri or Nelson at u, for which u need Freexp.

From a business point of view i certainly get it, so that u use money if u want something. But cant expect all ppl to do that.

Playing hightiers and having no clue of the game is not fair either, yet everyone can do it..

[BLITZ]
Players
2,126 posts
9,258 battles
15 hours ago, Ze_Reckless said:

Do not care about your karma. It will rise and drop and it doesn't have to do much with your actions.

I have to disagree. Without any flaming and trying to be constructive in chat my karma is pretty good. :cap_win:

[-TXG-]
Players
2,406 posts
14 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

For whatever reason my karma seems to be growing every month. No idea how I'm achieving that.

Easy one, clan count downs and voting for your clan mates. :Smile_hiding:

[PGTIP]
Players
129 posts
1,675 battles

Dudes how in God's name can you get high karma? it is a complete mistery to me, no matter what i do or how helpfull i am i always hover around 4-5 karma points.. that is not fair nerf kar..i mena buf..

AAAA

Players
350 posts
3,426 battles

I think my max Karma has been like around 15 or something.

Then i started playing JPN CV and being salty when i see clueless people in tier 8-10 bracket and my karma dipped to current 5.

The thing i have noticed is that i have no notification of reports or compliments anymore in port after battle, don't know if it's a bug or something else

Players
555 posts
6,577 battles

In every single game I play I finish it in the top 3 for the most part. My karma hardly ever rises. I could not give a fig and never look at it. I know myself if I was lame or not and do not need others compliments.

Players
3,655 posts
7,328 battles
13 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

Really? That does sound a bit precious, but I guess that's how it gets with the Elite Tiers. :)

I guess it depends on the ship, something like Neptune/Ibuki can probably do okay as stock, but the upgraded Balti gets 5,300 HP and +50% firepower so I can see how someone might get annoyed at you playing the stock ship.

I mean, if someone managed to fail division a Pensacola with a T9 you'd be a little bit annoyed wouldn't you?  (I know this isn't possible any more but.....)

13 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

Well i mean playing coop for dozens of matches is not fun either? Cant really blame anyone for not using Freexp when WG is throwing things like Missouri or Nelson at u, for which u need Freexp.

.......But cant expect all ppl to do that.

If you've got Missouri/Nelson in port but are using stock ships in random, then the price you paid for that ship is being paid by everyone else on your team.

Will people still do it?  Of course, but then that might be why others start going off in chat and threads like this one get created.

[NWP]
Players
3,995 posts
6,038 battles
2 minutes ago, Capra76 said:

If you've got Missouri/Nelson in port but are using stock ships in random, then the price you paid for that ship is being paid by everyone else on your team.

Will people still do it?  Of course, but then that might be why others start going off in chat and threads like this one get created.

Ye ofc when u have both its another story, i meant if u dont have them, and try to get enough Freexp to buy them.

And he got attacked for being full HP in a Cruiser which is just :Smile_facepalm: Not for being stock.

Players
3,655 posts
7,328 battles
36 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

And he got attacked for being full HP in a Cruiser which is just :Smile_facepalm: Not for being stock.

I don't know, I didn't watch it until the end so I don't know who said what.

The FdG was just a random BB who probably thought the OP should've been acting as a meat shield in front of him, the Conq on the other hand is a pretty decent cruiser player who might've been triggered by the stock ship.

[NWP]
Players
3,995 posts
6,038 battles
3 minutes ago, Capra76 said:

I don't know, I didn't watch it until the end so I don't know who said what.

The FdG was just a random BB who probably thought the OP should've been acting as a meat shield in front of him, the Conq on the other hand is a pretty decent cruiser player who might've been triggered by the stock ship.

Yep, FDG said that. I didnt check the stats from the other players (forgot names/Clantag), but imo a 3-man division needs to get something done. No kills and being on the bottom EXP wise (if i can trust the OP) than they will just make the team lose. Divisions can be OP or theyll make u lose. 1 Bad player can be compensated for by the team, 3 idiots doing nothing... well good luck.