Sign in to follow this  
Brandometer

Roon Trouble

14 comments in this topic

[TAW]
Players
21 posts
2,543 battles

So I've recently unlocked the Roon. Basically I'm looking for advice on how to maximise its' potential. To get into a decent firing position where I can use those mean quick guns, I tend to find myself getting broadsided by something big and nasty. 

I have looked into videos on you tube (Flamu particularly) but I found generally that people were trying to convince the masses that it's a good ship, and not really going into detail about its' positives/negatives etc.

I'm usually a US BB player, and whilst I generally know the differences between that and Cruiser gameplay, any tips on how to play it compared with a BB would be welcomed (as well as how to not play it compared with a BB!!) 

Thank you in advance

[CATS]
Players
14,730 posts
10,882 battles

Never turn your side to the enemy when the enemy can see you.

Turn when undetected. When close to enemy, use an island to turn behind cover.

• Cool 1

[TAW]
Players
21 posts
2,543 battles
12 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Never turn your side to the enemy when the enemy can see you.

Turn when undetected. When close to enemy, use an island to turn behind cover.

TY for the advice. Regarding the turning, I find the thing so clumsy compared with the hipper! Probably just need to get used to when to turn like you say. 

[ADRIA]
Players
307 posts
10,693 battles

Stock roon is somewhat a painful grind until you get it upgraded. You wanna stay at max range of your guns, always keep moving  and spam HE. Basic cruiser tactics. But if you find yourself up close and facing broadside enemy that's when things get interesting as you can usually devastate them in one or two AP salvos plus you got solid torpedoes and very good secondaries. 

Any cruiser than can brawl as much as snipe is a good cruiser in my book :Smile_medal:

• Cool 1

Players
92 posts
3,793 battles

Always use AP on broadsides and focus on shooting enemy cruisers. In general, AP should be your default ammo, apart from the very start where you might be engaging DD’s. For a cruiser, you are somewhat tanky, but save that for mid to end game. The positioning of the turrets also means you are excellent when the enemy chases you, so embrace those situations and try to create them. 

You have 27 mm of bow armour, so if facing Bismarck/Tirpitz or other 380 mm BB’s, you can push them aggresively since they cant overmatch your bow.

• Cool 1

[ONIX]
Players
1,087 posts
9,032 battles

Also, use the spotter plane. Not many CVs around for the fighter to be of much use and the spotter will help you shooting HE to those big BBs from insane range right into their precious deck. You'll get 3k damage + fires more often than not. Your AP is excellent at close-mid range.

You can basically do everything with the Roon to a very high standard, from long range HE spam-a-lot'ing to close quarters stuff thanks to your armour + torps. The hydro is very good too.

• Cool 1

[TAW]
Players
21 posts
2,543 battles

Thank you for all the advice. Looking through your comments, I think I have been focusing too much on getting close, using that awesome hydro and trying to use that devastating close range AP. 

Particularly will use the advice about using HE a bit more often and try to bait people into pushing to use the gun positioning a bit more. 

Thanks again! 

[ADRIA]
Players
307 posts
10,693 battles

Yeah, the thing is. Even if your cruiser is somewhat of a brawler you don't try to force those kind of situations. You want to stay at range to maximize your survivability but if you do find yourself in CQC situation you have awesome tools at your disposal: hydro, secondaries, good ROF and devastating AP 

Although I have to disagree with my clan mate @Quallo_Musto there :Smile-_tongue: Your default ammo should not be AP. Instead you should be actively switching between AP and HE, more than in other cruisers. 

Players
92 posts
3,793 battles
9 hours ago, Brandometer said:

trying to use that devastating close range AP

Try it at long range too. You can citadel all cruisers at any range if they give you some side. BB’s who do the same will eat regular 5-10k volleys with AP, just gotta aim top of belt and superstructure, not waterline. The HE is great at angled targets, but other cruisers do the HE thing much better, KM from tier 8 and up is all about AP. Also keep in mind, that the HE damage and following fires are much more healable than AP. 

I ran almost purely AP, looking for broadsides to hammer, and I averaged 110k with the Roon, having a big impact on the total relative damage done in the teams I had. My final suggestion is, if your aim is good, focus on AP, if not, focus more on HE :cap_like:

[SCRUB]
Players
7,303 posts
9,548 battles

Roon can be tough to play if you're too used to BB gameplay (or aggressive cruiser gameplay).

Think of it like Königsberg/Nürnberg 2.0 ... in fact playing either of those ships for a couple matches is probably the best way to get the right thinking back. Play conservatively in the Roon. Even if you wanted, the ship isn't good at pushing against adversity since it has two thirds of its firepower in the back. Instead play it like a flanker.

In the earlier stages of a match you stay to the outskirts of the battle and pepper targets from range with your great ballistics until the enemy ranks are thin enough that you can get closer without having to watch out for multiple attack angles.

Once the enemy cohesion is breaking up, you can push along the flanks and punish broadsides with your AP as ships are forced to watch their angles against other players on your team rather than the other way around.

If your flank is the one losing, just keep on kiting.

The Roon is incredibly tanky against cruisers (more so kiting than pushing thanks to the rearward facing firepower) and up close even trollish to BBs (though I don't recommend charging any BBs, Hindenburg can do it since it has 2x4 torps per side, but Roon only has one quadruple set, not enough to alphastrike any somewhat healthy BB).

It's a bit clumsy at manouvering though (and it won't get any better with the Hindenburg), so evasion tanking is best done at sufficient range (15km+).

Beta Tester
1,342 posts
5,212 battles

Most have been said but I will add this: the spotter planer is very useful. No it gives you no bonuses for the guns, but the sheer duration alone is well worth it providing you with plenty of spotting.

And The Roon shines in close ish fights with enemy ships. The Nice DPM with the reload mod and turtleback means it will often come out ahead of most enemy vessels and thus it can easily secure caps and gain map control.

[TAW]
Players
21 posts
2,543 battles

guys all your advice has been fantastic. Just a heads up: played 2 games just now, one was 127k damage 4 kills other was no kills but still 80k damage, and I survived them both. Not the most impressive numbers in the world, but by my standards i'm very happy with that! 

Mostly down to your advice, so once again thank you! 

• Cool 1

[AAO]
Players
400 posts
7,137 battles

Try out AP even long range broafsides, Hipper can dish out 10k+ salvoes vs BB even 13km+. Experiment with ammo and dont be afraid to swich it.

Sign in to follow this