You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Armorin

How large is a defensive AA bubble

20 comments in this topic

[BLAST]
[BLAST]
Players
570 posts
9,484 battles

I wondered how large a defensive AA bubble is, since I've got my first ship which can install it. Is it equal to max AA gun range, or even larger? Reason I ask, is because in a CV game a long time ago, our CV's fighter squadrons got wrecked by one of their fighter squadrons, whilst not being under direct AA fire. Either that guy had gone berserk on the RNG sacrifices, or perhaps it was inside a defensive AA bubble?

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,613 posts
5,167 battles

^defensive fire only increased the effectiveness of the AA already in place, it doesn't add range etc.

Your scenario - it might have been stock v's fully specced squadrons, to add insult to injury, if the stock squadron was an IJN 4 planes, then that would get absolutely murdered by a 6 strength USN squadron. The CV captain skills also have a huge impact on air to air combat.

[BLAST]
[BLAST]
Players
570 posts
9,484 battles
1 minute ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

Defensive AA has the same range as normal AA.

Maybe there was a ship with stealth AA in range of your fighters.

Thanks for answer. The game in question I think was a double t5 CV game with no strafing and clevelands about if I remember correctly. Didn't notice any incoming fire, but the enemy didn't lose a single plane against two squadrons that attacked it (not simultaneously unfortunately). I could see the Cleveland, or at least knew it was close by. Can any ship stealth fire at that level?

I think it is probably a good idea that they are removing stealth AA fire.

[BLAST]
[BLAST]
Players
570 posts
9,484 battles
1 minute ago, philjd said:

^defensive fire only increased the effectiveness of the AA already in place, it doesn't add range etc.

Your scenario - it might have been stock v's fully specced squadrons, to add insult to injury, if the stock squadron was an IJN 4 planes, then that would get absolutely murdered by a 6 strength USN squadron. The CV captain skills also have a huge impact on air to air combat.

And it also puts the enemy squadrons into panic mode?

Don't know about the other CV, but my fighter squads and ship was upgraded. It possibly was JP vs US, but they didn't last long enough for the follow up allied attack iirc.

[OM]
Beta Tester, WoWs Wiki Team
3,440 posts
11,437 battles
4 minutes ago, Armorin said:

Thanks for answer. The game in question I think was a double t5 CV game with no strafing and clevelands about if I remember correctly. Didn't notice any incoming fire, but the enemy didn't lose a single plane against two squadrons that attacked it (not simultaneously unfortunately). I could see the Cleveland, or at least knew it was close by. Can any ship stealth fire at that level?

I think it is probably a good idea that they are removing stealth AA fire.

Don't know the exact value, but Farragut for example can have up to 7.2km AA range and shouldn't be visible that far. It can use Def-AA as well. And there is the possibility of a ship sitting in a smoke screen close to the fighters.

• Cool 1

[PUPSI]
Players
6,249 posts
38 minutes ago, Armorin said:

The game in question I think was a double t5 CV game with no strafing

but in the start post you mentioned a game "a long time ago". And "a long time ago" strafing was possible on Tier 4 and Tier 5

[BLAST]
[BLAST]
Players
570 posts
9,484 battles
Just now, Klopirat said:

but in the start post you mentioned a game "a long time ago". And "a long time ago" strafing was possible on Tier 4 and Tier 5

Okay, it wasn't in a galaxy far far away.....

[AXIS]
Players
1,091 posts
2,419 battles

The defensive AA range is the same as the other range as the rest above me said.

Just remember that increases damage done. And usually it is the short range AA that does most of the DPS. But ALL ranged cause a 'panic' and spread the drops out.

• Cool 1

Players
748 posts
11,447 battles

IIRC the panic effect is the same as the max AA range except on Hood,because he has the best AA system ever invented so its like 2-3km range for panic, also crazy DPS.

• Cool 1

[OM]
Beta Tester, WoWs Wiki Team
3,440 posts
11,437 battles
1 hour ago, Armorin said:

So is AA fire from smoke not visible?

The ship firing is not visible, but you should be able to see the animation of its AA.

35 minutes ago, Migulaitor said:

IIRC the panic effect is the same as the max AA range except on Hood,because he has the best AA system ever invented so its like 2-3km range for panic, also crazy DPS.

Yes, Hood is an exception. Def-AA doesn't work on all AA-guns. But it doesn't change the range of the guns it works on. See http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Consumables#Defensive_AA_Fire (Effectiveness) for more details on this.

• Cool 1

Players
748 posts
11,447 battles

And CVs, the defensive AA only boosts the DPS on some of the guns. But I dont know if the "non-boosted" AA guns still panic planes, never thought about it.

• Cool 1

[PMI]
Players
2,405 posts
5,626 battles
2 hours ago, Armorin said:

I wondered how large a defensive AA bubble is

As pointed before, and since nowhere it states it would increase range, why would it be any different?

[BLAST]
[BLAST]
Players
570 posts
9,484 battles
33 minutes ago, Juanx said:

As pointed before, and since nowhere it states it would increase range, why would it be any different?

It was more the panic effect of the bubble I was thinking of, rather than thinking it would increase it's range. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,784 posts
10,685 battles
1 hour ago, Migulaitor said:

And CVs, the defensive AA only boosts the DPS on some of the guns. But I dont know if the "non-boosted" AA guns still panic planes, never thought about it.

They don't. Only fighters glued to a strike squad and consumable-boosted AA cause panic.

• Cool 1

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,613 posts
5,167 battles
On 11/8/2017 at 1:23 PM, eliastion said:

They don't. Only fighters glued to a strike squad and consumable-boosted AA cause panic.

Begs the question - if all the AA that is affected by Defensive fire are destroyed, does/should the Defensive AA consumable still work? Would be logical that it shouldn't, but chances are that it still works and panics attacking planes.

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,784 posts
10,685 battles
12 hours ago, philjd said:

Begs the question - if all the AA that is affected by Defensive fire are destroyed, does/should the Defensive AA consumable still work? Would be logical that it shouldn't, but chances are that it still works and panics attacking planes.

Hard to say if it's range-based or AA-based, but regardless of how it works, it's not of much importance seeing how unlikely it is to see all longest-range AA destroyed. They are usually the toughest and on AA DDs we're actually talking their main armament... I don't think any ship currently in game (and equipped with AA consumable) could survive through the amount of HE spam that could realistically be expected to take out all her top range AA. It might happen but it's probably orders of magnitude less likely than a detonation, making the question mostly academical.

Beta Tester, Players
628 posts
11,995 battles
On 8/11/2017 at 10:07 AM, Armorin said:

I wondered how large a defensive AA bubble is

It is maximum range of you AA, thats when you bubble starts 

Defensive AA consumable

Wont extende the range 

2 hours ago, eliastion said:

Hard to say if it's range-based or AA-based, but regardless of how it works, it's not of much importance seeing how unlikely it is to see all longest-range AA destroyed. They are usually the toughest and on AA DDs we're actually talking their main armament... I don't think any ship currently in game (and equipped with AA consumable) could survive through the amount of HE spam that could realistically be expected to take out all her top range AA. It might happen but it's probably orders of magnitude less likely than a detonation, making the question mostly academical.

the Wiki says that all AA able guns on a ship is effected by the Defensive AA consumable (unless it is a CV then it is only 40mm AA guns and shokakus 25mm)

mang

ps: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Consumables#Defensive_AA_Fire

• Cool 1

Players
206 posts
4,747 battles
17 hours ago, Mangrey said:

the Wiki says that all AA able guns on a ship is effected by the Defensive AA consumable (unless it is a CV then it is only 40mm AA guns and shokakus 25mm)

But it is not. Only 25mm+ (by pure coincidence the lowest caliber on high tier Russian cruisers) are affected.