Certios

Tanky crusier with good AA

52 comments in this topic

Players
66 posts
890 battles

hello all.

Iam looking for a tanky crusier that can take lots of dmg and have good AA. Speed and torps are okey but not what iam looking for tho but dont mind if its good also.

I stopped play cruiser mainly becasue of the fragile armor. so any advice on ships? 

Beta Tester
716 posts
10,654 battles

Cleveland comes to mind, but it will soon be a tier 8, so wonder how she will be around tier 10. In general cruisers arent all that tanky depending on the situation and RNG.

Players
2,339 posts
6,663 battles

If you want a tanky slow ship without torps and good AA, why not go for a battleship?

58 minutes ago, Azalgor said:

Cleveland comes to mind, but it will soon be a tier 8, so wonder how she will be around tier 10. In general cruisers arent all that tanky depending on the situation and RNG.

I had the same thought.

Players
66 posts
890 battles

I do play the BB classes, i left CC for BB mainly cuz it was more tanky to go BB but i would like to find a CC that acts more like a BB. So if there is a CC that has the similar armor as a BB that can take some dmg Before going into flames and dies :P I use the Tirpitz and thats pretty nice, has good speed and can go Close range and shoot torps and has good armor. 

And iam looking in the higher tiers, like from 5 and up. Thx for the fast replys guys

[B0TS]
Players
122 posts
12,097 battles

Cruisers are not like BB's otherwise they would be BB's.

The Moskva is the closest a Cruiser gets to a BB but that is T10........ you need to practise more I reckon.

Players
66 posts
890 battles
3 minutes ago, Captain_Breeze said:

Cruisers are not like BB's otherwise they would be BB's.

The Moskva is the closest a Cruiser gets to a BB but that is T10........ you need to practise more I reckon.

Thx for Tip.

And yes ofc i need to practise more, i just started to play a week ago, reason i ask for help is becasue iam a noob lol and dont know the ship iam looking for so i turn to the ones played longer and discribe the type of ship iam looking for and maybe someone could point out where to spend XP on matching the ship iam looking for;P But if i have a ship goal i can start farm for it, so if its a T10 ship i get some more experience while i farm for it :)

[B0TS]
Players
122 posts
12,097 battles
1 minute ago, Certios said:

Thx for Tip.

And yes ofc i need to practise more, i just started to play a week ago, reason i ask for help is becasue iam a noob lol and dont know the ship iam looking for so i turn to the ones played longer and discribe the type of ship iam looking for and maybe someone could point out where to spend XP on matching the ship iam looking for;P But if i have a ship goal i can start farm for it, so if its a T10 ship i get some more experience while i farm for it :)

That's ok man....we have all been there.....I would look at some clips on YouTube...Flamu does a few good ones. That will give you a better understanding mate :Smile_smile:

Players
66 posts
890 battles

i done some research and most of the topics i found on google its from 2015/2016 and iam guessing they change ships around since then so tried the forum to get some updated info. Gonna look Flamu up, thx for the tip

[B0TS]
Players
122 posts
12,097 battles

@Certios

I went up the Russian line as I wanted the Moskva......but all the lines have a certain appeal.....All Tiers seem to have some dubious ships you have to grind through too, but we all do it.:Smile_honoring:

Check this link out to decide which T10 ship you want then grind that line.

[TF57]
[TF57]
Beta Tester
150 posts
3,780 battles

Could always buy the Graf Spee, high hit points for a cruiser with heal and decent ranged torps, similar guns to Scharnhorst, with AA module and captain skills the AA isn't too bad, so long as you don't reveal your broadside it can take and give out quite a bit of punishment

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
Players
305 posts
10,677 battles

Hindenburg/moskva comes to mind.

Also scharnhorst as a cruiser/BB hybrid

Players
66 posts
890 battles
4 minutes ago, Kryostorm said:

Could always buy the Graf Spee, high hit points for a cruiser with heal and decent ranged torps, similar guns to Scharnhorst, with AA module and captain skills the AA isn't too bad, so long as you don't reveal your broadside it can take and give out quite a bit of punishment

I looked into graf spee but i read that its not very noob friendly, its a hard ship to play so i skipped that one

[ONIX]
Players
1,086 posts
9,027 battles

Hipper/Prinz Eugen at tier VIII are tanky-ish. Of course so are Roon and Hindenburg at tiers IX and X.

US cruisers are ok-ish.

Other than Moskva, russian cruisers are a sucesion of paper-thin armoured ships, so a big no no.

UK cruisers are even squishier (although they have the smoke for some relatively safe shooting)

French cruisers are delicate as f*ck.

IJN cruisers are a mix but definately not tanky.

Bottom line is, tanky and cruiser does not often come together in a BB heavy meta.

Players
66 posts
890 battles

Well iam guessing the German line is the way for me both BB and CC from what i read and research. They seams to have the requirement iam looking for, not all of them but the most of them

[B0TS]
Players
122 posts
12,097 battles

It takes a long time to be good though @Certios, so you need patience. Taking your time to grind is all part of the learning. Enjoy mate :Smile_izmena:

Players
66 posts
890 battles

Yea well iam not guy that has the patience lol :P

Need to work on that also haha

Big thanks to everyone that replied in the thread and took the time to answer my question!

Have a Lovely day and happy hunting :)

• Cool 2

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,070 posts
6,708 battles

Hindenburgh is the answer honestly. A bit on the slow side but very tanky (underwater citadel, high HP and 27mm bow), impressive gun punch, very decent AA. 

DM can be tanky too.

Moskva is less tanky than most player think.

At lower tier there are Hipper and Cleveland.

• Cool 1

[HOME]
Beta Tester
1,816 posts
6,842 battles

The short answer to "tanky cruiser with good AA" is German Cruisers. The second you get to tier 8+ youll find some of the tankiest cruisers with good all round performance with arguably second best AA after USN cruisers.

The other choice is Moskva if you can play it right, but the problem is that the rest of the Russian cruiser line is really squish and not really anything you can actively tank in.

Players
3,571 posts
7,333 battles

Closest to "tanky cruiser" would be Germans, particularly Hipper due excessive numbers of Bismarck/Tirpitz, which can't overmatch her. She ticks "good AA" as well when built for it, but otherwise I'd focus on long range spammers simply to have time for WSAD hax when engaging battleboats.

Still, rule of the thumb for cruisers is simply not being shot at, and that usually involves smoke or island cover if you can't keep finger off the trigger.

[BGNAV]
Players
131 posts
5,284 battles
On 11/7/2017 at 4:56 PM, ShinGetsu said:

Hindenburgh is the answer honestly. A bit on the slow side but very tanky (underwater citadel, high HP and 27mm bow), impressive gun punch, very decent AA. 

DM can be tanky too.

Moskva is less tanky than most player think.

At lower tier there are Hipper and Cleveland.

DM can be tanky when bow on to a CA/CL/DD. This however is valid for most cruisers. If a BB shoots your bow, you will likely take a citadel hit or at least lose a huge chunk of HP. This is valid for other cruisers as well. DM is in fact the second most fragile cruiser at the moment, but it has far too dangerous guns and DPM, so people avoid picking close fights with it. If a BB comes around an island to kill you and finds you bow-on, it will either kill you in one salvo, or do a huge hit on you and then melt away due to your ridiculous AP.

Also it has quite low effective range - shooting at a fast target at anything over 12-13km is a challenge due to the really floaty arcs of the DM. It is great for shooting over cover and scaring away or killing enemy DDs that go near the caps. It is a very strong CA, but does not really fit the OP's requirements.

Otherwise I completely agree that the Hindenburg is the tankiest cruiser overall. Semi-turtleback armor scheme protects well vs other cruisers and okay-ish vs BB shells. It can spam HE at range or utilize its very deadly AP and loads of torps up close. If a Hinden decides to suicide rush a BB, it will manage to kill the BB first in 90% of the cases. I don't have a Hinden but have fought them in almost every T10 game and can confirm that I feel threatened by them in whatever I play.

As for the Moskva - it does have a reputation for being tanky, but it is really sluggish and takes far too many hits. It is only good at long ranges and a skilled player will not really have issues with dealing with a Moskva when in a cruiser or BB.

Finally, I would like to say - if OP wants to play a tanky ship, they should not go for a cruser at the first place. Maybe something like a Scharnhorst would be better - it is fast, reasonably agile, has torps, has fast firing guns and great turret rotation AND has ridiculously thick belt armor + turtleback scheme.