Certios

BB close range play ship pick or the long range

23 comments in this topic

Players
66 posts
890 battles

Hey all!

Started to play a few Days ago, truly love the game, i started with a cruiser and loved it, fast reload and mid range action, but they are for me to fragile to play with so i Went over to BB´s.

The BB i really enjoyed, pretty tanky and just crushing with AP. 

bought a few prems ship, loved the Alabama, really nice ship. But i wanted something more cruiser like but not very fragile so i bought the Tirpitz, that ship is like soooo sweet.

I love Everything About it, good tanky and lots of fire Power can play Close up and just gunz blazeing and fire everywhere. Is there more ships that is like the Tirpitz?

I do want pretty tanky ship, good 2nds and playstyle that is more Close up then sitting in the back snipeing. But then sometimes i want to just chill back and snipe, what bb would be good for long range AP shooting, i dont wanna use the HE, i want the penetration from a long distance, prefer tanky and good AA if its a long range ship. excuse my Spellings, my English is kinda bad lol

Have a good day Capains 

[AAO]
Players
400 posts
7,137 battles

German BB line is pretty much tirpitz playstyle, early tiers are tanky and have quite wild dispersion, but almost immune to citadels, t7 gneisenau is kinda mixed bag becouse of 6 barrels vs 8 previous or its successor. T8 bismarck is same as tirpitz apart from torpedoes and it gets sonar instead, t9 is bigger bismarck but has worse dispersion. T10 is massive floating fortress with 12 guns and great 2ndaries, but t10 meta is so static that you rarely get to use them.

Players
66 posts
890 battles

Thanks for a fast reply!

I got the kaiser and Nassau bb´s from that line, and well iam not so impressed by them, i actully stoped farming the german bb line cuz of them.

But i did some research on google, most was a year old threads but the tirp was the one that i thougt would fit me best. So then i can go on with the german tree and it will be better later tiers?

Any tip on a sniper ship with good aim?

[ONIX]
Players
1,086 posts
9,030 battles

Good aim, US BB's, guns are amazing, but playing them at long range is making their superb concealment superfluous.

IJN BB's have worse accuracy and so-so armour (for the most part) 

Generally speaking, sniping is not something you should be doing with any BB's.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,124 posts
11,662 battles
10 minutes ago, Certios said:

None...

But seriously better to learn early that sniping is bad. By all means shoot stuff at long range at the start but you should be closing with your team. The HP you have should be working for the team's benefit. 

I'm not saying suicide rush but all BBs get a lot more accurate within 15km and maybe even 12km or less.

If you farm a lot of Dreadnaught achievements then you know you're doing your job.

• Cool 1

[NFS]
Players
339 posts
12,381 battles
13 minutes ago, Certios said:

I got the Missouri for this. Still getting used to the ballistics and not doing really well, yet. You can call that a sniper, I guess. But do not expect to hang in back and land precise volleys from 20kms and above. That will not work out with satisfaction. Do that from 13kms to 15kms and reign with terror over inferior cruisers.

Sincerely

Karl

Players
66 posts
890 battles

So best for my type if gameplay would be german line i guess...

I do love the Tirpitz, i prefer to play mid combat but sometimes it Went from mid combat to suicide run lol when i noticed iam all alone with 3-4 enemies fireing at me :P 

So german line with 2nd range boost and keep my enimes at 10km range i guess?

[ONIX]
Players
1,086 posts
9,030 battles
1 hour ago, Certios said:

So best for my type if gameplay would be german line i guess...

I do love the Tirpitz, i prefer to play mid combat but sometimes it Went from mid combat to suicide run lol when i noticed iam all alone with 3-4 enemies fireing at me :P 

So german line with 2nd range boost and keep my enimes at 10km range i guess?

Yup. But don't rush the line, learn when to engage, when to keep the distance and how to position yourself and angle against other BBs.

[ADRIA]
Players
307 posts
10,690 battles

German BBs for close range brawling

USN BBs for mid range

IJN for long range sniping

RN BBs for maximum BBQ! 

Also, playing high tier matches with premiums without basic knowledge of game mechanic and only playing so few games is a big no no in my book. You are being a burden for your team. 

Players
66 posts
890 battles
6 minutes ago, quickr said:

German BBs for close range brawling

USN BBs for mid range

IJN for long range sniping

RN BBs for maximum BBQ! 

Also, playing high tier matches with premiums without basic knowledge of game mechanic and only playing so few games is a big no no in my book. You are being a burden for your team. 

Play mostly pve, dont like pvp in any game :)

[DUSD]
Players
368 posts
6,085 battles

I am pretty no(o)b with this game as well but one thing I've noticed is that different shiplines are very different. Points for WG for that. And because of this I think people should at least try out different ship types from different nations. 

For example IJN torp boat DDs compared to Russian gun boats. Very very different to play. Same with BBs. I personally first started out with Germans only because of stuff I'd seen in videos and read from internet. But it seems they dont suit my playstyle as well as some other ships. 

Players
66 posts
890 battles
7 minutes ago, Taliesn said:

Yup. But don't rush the line, learn when to engage, when to keep the distance and how to position yourself and angle against other BBs.

Yes most of the time i take it slow but it happends i see a lonely ship and goes after and think iam gonna win and around the corner his friends are lurking around and then iam toasted lol

[ONIX]
Players
1,086 posts
9,030 battles
Just now, Certios said:

Yes most of the time i take it slow but it happends i see a lonely ship and goes after and think iam gonna win and around the corner his friends are lurking around and then iam toasted lol

It's happened to all of us and this is not a game you learn or master in a few days or weeks. Even super unicum players do make mistakes.

Buying a lot of tier VIII premiums might not be the best way to learn though when you are still grinding through tier V silver ships. But each to their own. Your money, your time, and your fun.

Players
66 posts
890 battles
2 minutes ago, LongJohn_ said:

I am pretty no(o)b with this game as well but one thing I've noticed is that different shiplines are very different. Points for WG for that. And because of this I think people should at least try out different ship types from different nations. 

For example IJN torp boat DDs compared to Russian gun boats. Very very different to play. Same with BBs. I personally first started out with Germans only because of stuff I'd seen in videos and read from internet. But it seems they dont suit my playstyle as well as some other ships. 

Yes its very fun and nice that they have this diffrent playstyle, been trying out a few lines, but takes time to farm the XP so iam looking for a finger point in right direction so i can find a playstyle i like :)

Players
66 posts
890 battles
2 minutes ago, Taliesn said:

It's happened to all of us and this is not a game you learn or master in a few days or weeks. Even super unicum players do make mistakes.

Buying a lot of tier VIII premiums might not be the best way to learn though when you are still grinding through tier V silver ships. But each to their own. Your money, your time, and your fun.

Well i do know that isnt the best way to go with buying prem ship, but when i do that i get a hint of how the line will be and guessing that would help me decide what line to farm first. Alabama and Arizona i bought first and did like them both so i was farming up to new york. Then i got the tirpitz and loved the closer combat type i could do with it but the aiming is abit harder further away with the Tirpitz. I only played for almost a week and i still have alot to learn iam aware of that, by asking in this forum and in this thread i already learned more

then i knew about the game a hour ago :)

[DUSD]
Players
368 posts
6,085 battles
12 minutes ago, Certios said:

Yes its very fun and nice that they have this diffrent playstyle, been trying out a few lines, but takes time to farm the XP so iam looking for a finger point in right direction so i can find a playstyle i like :)

Yep and you have to proceed up to certain levels on each tree to see what line has to offer. For example T3 cruisers are pretty much the same, same with bottom tier BBs. I guess for example german bb line you start to see the lines benefits and drawbacks somewhere around T7-8. 

Players
66 posts
890 battles
1 minute ago, LongJohn_ said:

Yep and you have to proceed up to certain levels on each tree to see what line has to offer. For example T3 cruisers are pretty much the same, same with bottom tier BBs. I guess for example german bb line you start to see the lines benefits and drawbacks somewhere around T7-8. 

Yes i Think iam gonna go with the germans, if i wanna go CC they have the CC´s that iam looking for here also, more tankier so gonna go for germans and see what they offer me :P

Big thanks to all of you that took the time and answerd my question! Have a Lovely day and happy hunting

• Cool 1

[BONI]
Players
1,064 posts
9,330 battles

Saw some datamined info that IJN BBs maintain more accuracy at range while being less accurate at short ranges. That's your sniper line if you want to do that, but it's not usually a good tactic because you're still letting your cruisers down by hanging back instead of taking hits for them. Not to mention, you're doing less damage and are less able to contest objectives than if you fight medium-range. So if you play IJN, don't make it your dogma to snipe. It's nice to have good long-range accuracy, but most of the time you shouldn't go out of your way to use it.

... but if you want a ship that's basically forced to snipe when there are BBs around, get Nelson. Great guns, pretty accurate and strong, but the entire ship is designed so you never have to show much side to enemy ships, and to punish you if you do. It's also risky when bowtanking at close range because the front armor sucks pretty bad too. Definitely a ship where you hang back until enemy BBs are under control because you just can't afford to get flanked by one. Dunkerque is similar, I believe.

Beta Tester
652 posts
4,359 battles

Right soooo....

NO SNIPING IN BBs! Your #1 objective is to use your HP as a shield for your team, your #2 is dealing damage.

The different trees support different aspects of this:

• IJN: Focus on firepower and speedy FBBs or Tanky-er BBs, in short play the FBBs 2nd line support BB, not 4km behind your fleet, just among them, not upfront (though if needed do make the push)
  • USN: Focus on utility, good guns, accurate late tier, heavy AP shells, less raw destructive power compared to IJN, more survivability and best in class AA
  • KM: Focus on survivability and brawling potential, monstrous secondaries, usable AA, good turret rotation and torpedoes on the tier VIIs, weaker guns though
  • RN: Least well known with these; Tanky but not due to armour so much as HP and heal, think of them as big chunks of meat that need to get a good chewing to go down. Strong HE, short fuse AP for non-overpenetrations, strong AA

That is ofcourse a very very short summary, look up guides for individual ships is my reccomendation.

Owh, and please PLEASE don't play at a tier using premiums if you do not own a ship of that tier (or atleast 1 tier lower)... There is so much that you need to learn before you jump into the higher tiers.

• Cool 1

Players
66 posts
890 battles
2 hours ago, gekkehenkie50 said:

Right soooo....

NO SNIPING IN BBs! Your #1 objective is to use your HP as a shield for your team, your #2 is dealing damage.

The different trees support different aspects of this:

• IJN: Focus on firepower and speedy FBBs or Tanky-er BBs, in short play the FBBs 2nd line support BB, not 4km behind your fleet, just among them, not upfront (though if needed do make the push)
  • USN: Focus on utility, good guns, accurate late tier, heavy AP shells, less raw destructive power compared to IJN, more survivability and best in class AA
  • KM: Focus on survivability and brawling potential, monstrous secondaries, usable AA, good turret rotation and torpedoes on the tier VIIs, weaker guns though
  • RN: Least well known with these; Tanky but not due to armour so much as HP and heal, think of them as big chunks of meat that need to get a good chewing to go down. Strong HE, short fuse AP for non-overpenetrations, strong AA

That is ofcourse a very very short summary, look up guides for individual ships is my reccomendation.

Owh, and please PLEASE don't play at a tier using premiums if you do not own a ship of that tier (or atleast 1 tier lower)... There is so much that you need to learn before you jump into the higher tiers.

Good explaination here, Thanks for takeing your time to write this down. Its very helpful to me to understand more the game classes, i have done some research but this was short and easy written. About the prem ship, i have bought 3 of them and do not use them in pvp 90% of the time is in pve just to get a feel for the higher tiers BB and usally Always win the game so dont worrie, i do not pvp just becasue i know i would suck at it. I use the us new yorker atm when i pvp but i rarely pvp, just with my clan menbers when we div up.

• Cool 1

[BABBY]
Players
272 posts
6,406 battles
18 hours ago, Certios said:

Play mostly pve, dont like pvp in any game :)

If you play PvE then sniper BBs are useless for that because bots charge in so fast you will get 1-2 long range salvos at most. And like others said sniping in any BB is bad play even if the range on some of them is tempting (like Kongo/Fuso). That doesn't mean you should charge in to suicide range either. Best ships for Co-op are torpedo ships, you won't get anything better in this department than Tirpitz/Scharnhorst. For PvE operations (which should resume after Halloween event is over) torpedoes aren't that important, CV's and fast-firing cruisers with good AA are best choice for those so far.

[BGNAV]
Players
131 posts
5,284 battles
On 11/7/2017 at 7:38 PM, gekkehenkie50 said:

Right soooo....

I almost completely agree and support your statement.

The only thing I would say differently is that the heal on RN BBs is questionable. If you get HE spammed, you will be next to immortal for the enemy team. If enemy BBs poke you with AP or if you take torp hits, the heal will not help you much. Being damaged by large caliber AP shells (and most BBs will do sizable chunks of damage on RN BBs) will make your heal similar to the normal one as far as the total heal-able amount is concerned. You will however get less charges and longer cool-down. And the torp damage... it will almost always count as citadel damage and you will not heal much of it. If you can't avoid a torp, take the hit on the bow/stern instead of the sides - you will take more damage, but you will be able to heal a lot more then.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
652 posts
4,359 battles
1 hour ago, almitov said:

I almost completely agree and support your statement.

The only thing I would say differently is that the heal on RN BBs is questionable. If you get HE spammed, you will be next to immortal for the enemy team. If enemy BBs poke you with AP or if you take torp hits, the heal will not help you much. Being damaged by large caliber AP shells (and most BBs will do sizeable chinks of damage on RN BBs) will make your heal similar to the normal one as far as the total heal-able amount is concerned. You will however get less charges and longer cooldown. And the torp damage... it will almost always count as citadel damage and you will not heal much of it. If you can't avoid a torp, take the hit on the bow/stern instead of the sides - you will take more damage, but you will be able to heal a lot more then.

Good points, I have yet to pass tier V so I had to do this off my head (was typed from my phone at the time, couldnt resist when I saw "Snipe with this and that" in a BB post :etc_red_button:). I also forgot that they have VERY good stealth, allowing them to disengage if needed to heal back up.