That's all folks!

33 comments in this topic

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
2,682 posts
2,604 battles

Captains,

The deluge of new ship information finally stops here - with two more French battleships.

Bretagne

The Bretagne class super dreadnoughts were the last battleship class actually built in France before the Dunkerques. As the first super dreadnought class in the French Navy, Bretagne packed a potent armament of 10 x 340 mm guns, all on centerline.

3a463cdc-c0b2-11e7-84dc-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg

39325876-c0b2-11e7-9dc6-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg

Normandie

Planned as bigger and better Bretagne, Normandie class battleships were to carry a heavier armament of 12 x 340mm guns. Construction was however stopped due to World War 1 and only one hull of the class - Béarn - saw service after being rebuilt as an aircraft carrier.

3a7c21b2-c0b2-11e7-be75-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg

3990e292-c0b2-11e7-a4a2-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg

That's all, folks!

Action Stations!

• Cool 8

[SINT]
Players
343 posts
15,150 battles

The tier V only 20,6 knots..thats slower then US BB’s. Then the tier VI makes over 29 knots...??? With such a hull shape..Maybe a typo?

Players
2,214 posts
7,510 battles

That rear turret arc on the Normandie looks awful!  Think i will keep the Dunk with the forward turrets thanks, not a massive fan of getting Broadsided :Smile_great:

[T-N-T]
Players
2,587 posts
11,837 battles
1 hour ago, Jvd2000 said:

The tier V only 20,6 knots..thats slower then US BB’s. Then the tier VI makes over 29 knots...??? With such a hull shape..Maybe a typo?

Well, look at the horsepower. The T7 Lyon apparently also goes surprisingly fast given the look (27 knots iirc).

But here's the downer, I see no Strasbourg anywhere from T5-T8, and I was so looking forward to that one.

[SCRUB]
Players
8,338 posts
10,816 battles

The hull shape on the Normandie seems a bit more hydrodynamic compared to the Bretagne, but the real kicker is the engine output. On the infostats you see the Bretagne has 29.000 Hp, the Normandie more than three times that with 107.000 Hp.

Engine power increase of ~369% at only ~22% displacement increase and what looks like a sleeker hull shape. Without having an engineers degree or anything, but a ~43% higher topspeed sounds reasonable to me. Probably also accelerates a lot faster, unlike what I expect the Bretagne to behave if the US BBs are any indication (those only reach their topspeeds if you throw them off a waterfall, even the slightest deviation from a straight line and you instantly lose a third of your speed).

[SINT]
Players
343 posts
15,150 battles
14 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

The hull shape on the Normandie seems a bit more hydrodynamic compared to the Bretagne, but the real kicker is the engine output. On the infostats you see the Bretagne has 29.000 Hp, the Normandie more than three times that with 107.000 Hp.

Engine power increase of ~369% at only ~22% displacement increase and what looks like a sleeker hull shape. Without having an engineers degree or anything, but a ~43% higher topspeed sounds reasonable to me. Probably also accelerates a lot faster, unlike what I expect the Bretagne to behave if the US BBs are any indication (those only reach their topspeeds if you throw them off a waterfall, even the slightest deviation from a straight line and you instantly lose a third of your speed).

Yep, indeed a massive increase in HP and actualy the tier VII is also 27 knts. A slight lose due to the extra turret.

Players
2,458 posts
15,503 battles

Tier 5 is a real ship with real refit history, they can't magically give it 100,000hp or 26 knots like other paper (or real) ships that didn't have WW2 refits. Shouldn't they have 43,000hp and do 21 knots?

Normandie making 30 knots is hilarious though! :cap_haloween:

[SCRUB]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,212 posts
8,128 battles

With beam (27m) and draft (8,65m) from wiki, and lenght (189m) + displacement (32,000t) from WG's dataposter above, Springsharp estimates the top speed to be 27,5kn at 107,000hp.

If we change the displacement from 32kt to original 25kt, then the estimate changes into 29kn.

WG "glue puzzle pieces together" engineering at work again. And yes, one shouldn't read Springsharp like a bible, but it's still a nice little tool to estimate these things.

• Cool 1

[DREAD]
Players
7,108 posts
5,639 battles
2 hours ago, MrConway said:

Captains,

The deluge of new ship information finally stops here - with two more French battleships.

Bretagne

The Bretagne class super dreadnoughts were the last battleship class actually built in France before the Dunkerques. As the first super dreadnought class in the French Navy, Bretagne packed a potent armament of 10 x 340 mm guns, all on centerline.

3a463cdc-c0b2-11e7-84dc-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg

39325876-c0b2-11e7-9dc6-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg

Normandie

Planned as bigger and better Bretagne, Normandie class battleships were to carry a heavier armament of 12 x 340mm guns. Construction was however stopped due to World War 1 and only one hull of the class - Béarn - saw service after being rebuilt as an aircraft carrier.

3a7c21b2-c0b2-11e7-be75-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg

3990e292-c0b2-11e7-a4a2-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg

That's all, folks!

Action Stations!

Finally a "real" ship among all these cartoonish Mickey Mouse Disneyland vessels.

+1 for Bretagne and Richelieu 

Big big minus for the rest - sorry but all these are #FakeShips. Is it me or is it getting worse with the amount of fantasy ...?

[SINT]
Players
343 posts
15,150 battles

Waiting for Lorraine (sistership of Bretagne with centre turret removed and plane added) as premium:Smile_sceptic:

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,488 posts
6,713 battles
53 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

Finally a "real" ship among all these cartoonish Mickey Mouse Disneyland vessels.

Big big minus for the rest - sorry but all these are #FakeShips. Is it me or is it getting worse with the amount of fantasy ...?

"Because ships that never existed impare the gameplay experience in some way", right? Who cares about that. The more ships the better. The czechoslovak river fleet looked promising... I bet it would be fun if half of the tiers were missing

[DREAD]
Players
7,108 posts
5,639 battles
28 minutes ago, domen3 said:

"Because ships that never existed impare the gameplay experience in some way", right? Who cares about that. The more ships the better. The czechoslovak river fleet looked promising... I bet it would be fun if half of the tiers were missing

For me it does - it's breaking  immersion. Not if there are one or two never completed or paper  ships but the sheer amount of fantasy boaties bothers me. WG should ask the question if something is wrong with their power progression / tiering system if 6 out of 8 ships need to be artificially refit/altered. And it's not like s specific problem of the French tree - it's the same with the German and British Branch.

• Cool 1

[JUNK]
[JUNK]
Beta Tester
1,927 posts
7,915 battles
1 hour ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

I agree. Normandie and Lyons utterly stupid top speeds and other design decisions really grinds my gears. 

Why WG went this "make this line with difficult dreadnoughts" route is beyond me. 

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,488 posts
6,713 battles
10 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

For me it does - it's breaking  immersion. Not if there are one or two never completed or paper  ships but the sheer amount of fantasy boaties bothers me. WG should ask the question if something is wrong with their power progression / tiering system if 6 out of 8 ships need to be artificially refit/altered. And it's not like s specific problem of the French tree - it's the same with the German and British Branch.

For me it's the opposite. The alternative history of "what if" they were ever built

• Cool 1

Modder
1,676 posts
3,655 battles

30 knots normandie...ok. i'm done

thats just unbelievable power creep. old, fat dreadnought, with 12x340mm and 30cm belt is going 30 knots? that ship would do perfectly fine with 24 knots. what will you give to battlecruisers like renown if their speed wont matter? some insane consumable? or will they go 40 knots? 

and tell me how you fit 107 000 horse power into that thing anyway? italians were able to squeeze into cavours, which have exact same dimensions, only 75 000 and they rebuilt them from top to bottom

this is completelly insane...your out of your mind wg

• Cool 2

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
2,682 posts
2,604 battles
5 hours ago, Jvd2000 said:

Please bear in mind that these are historical stats, the final in game stats may be adjusted to make sure she is balanced correctly.

4 hours ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

I don't know where all this hate for "fake ships" comes from. We almost always base our ships on actual plans or blueprints when they were not actually built, which means that we have the chance to bring these projects that didn't make it due to political or economic reasons to life in game.

If a ship was built and fits in the game from a time period and gameplay perspective, there is a very good chance we will eventually introduce it anyway, so we're not going to leave out ships that were actually built due to these project ships.

• Cool 7

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,617 posts
8,112 battles
2 hours ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

.....and (several) Yamatos fighting (also) Bismarcks and Tirpitzes is totally fine and immersive right? :Smile_trollface:

I pretty much see it like domen3. What if these ships were to be build and meet each other? As long as the gameplay doesn't suffer over it (Flashbacks of WT auf E100 back in my WoT days) I am fine with any Ship that only existed on paper....

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,575 posts
3,520 battles

@MrConway To be fair, a lot of us have no problem with ships that actually existed, even if it was only as blueprints.

Now when they are created out of thin air however..

• Cool 1

[K-W-O]
Beta Tester
25 posts
3,020 battles
19 minutes ago, MrConway said:

Please bear in mind that these are historical stats, the final in game stats may be adjusted to make sure she is balanced correctly.

I don't know where all this hate for "fake ships" comes from. We almost always base our ships on actual plans or blueprints when they were not actually built, which means that we have the chance to bring these projects that didn't make it due to political or economic reasons to life in game.

If a ship was built and fits in the game from a time period and gameplay perspective, there is a very good chance we will eventually introduce it anyway, so we're not going to leave out ships that were actually built due to these project ships.

Wot / Wowp / And Wows are all historical and blueprints and ships that really exist. 

Wargaming they spend a lot of time there for everyone to make it right like the historical stats 

they deserve a compliment once 

• Cool 1

[CR-S]
Players
474 posts
20,767 battles
6 hours ago, Verdius said:

No Strassbourg? :Smile_sad:

6 hours ago, Toivia said:

I see no Strasbourg anywhere

It was actually built and saw some service, so expect it to come as a premium. And since there is a real flood of battleships atm, it would be wise of WG to bring it out in a year or even later.

BTW the Bretagne looks great!

Players
416 posts
8,872 battles
2 hours ago, MrConway said:

The abomination known as the Monarch comes to mind as a last minute mash up of several different ships...

• Cool 1

[HOO]
Beta Tester
680 posts
5,577 battles
5 hours ago, MrConway said:

So, does that mean that we might actually see the eponymous 'Dreadnought'? I mean, she did completely revolutionise the battleship genre across the whole globe after all.

Pretty please!!  :Smile_great: