You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Altharius

Explain this to me...

41 comments in this topic

[YARRR]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
59 posts
2,021 battles

In what historical world war 1 or 2 naval battle did combat ships stop dead or reverse under fire? 

i can't remember a lot of those, even though I consider myself quite knowledgeable in the subject. Please enlighten me.

Because watching most of an anemy tier8-10 fleet parked or just back off most of the game seems quite counter-intuïtive to the nature of naval warfare. And the general state of the game 1 year ago.

• Cool 1

[BLITZ]
Players
2,053 posts
9,060 battles

There's the reality card again.

This is an Arcade game.

• Cool 3

[HEROI]
Beta Tester
49 posts
598 battles

The sad truth is that WG transformed WoWs and naval battles into a WoT clone over the sea.

Have you noticed that almost all maps have dozens of islands/mountains? They are like the buildings and rocks people use to hide in WoT.

No real world naval force would ever navigate or seek battle within such restricted waters. Also, in WW1 and WW2 naval warfare, ships dead in water or not maneuvering vigorously would be sitting ducks but in WoWs is one of the most used tactics.

Unfortunately, WG made with WoWs the same mistake they did with WoWp but with better graphics and physics...

• Cool 6

[YARRR]
59 posts
2,021 battles
18 hours ago, SeeteufeI said:

There's the reality card again.

This is an Arcade game.

It used to be a lot less acrade though. There should be a punishment mechanic for parked ships. 

Like 25% increased chance of critical hits. Or a speed vs accuracy mechanic that when ships are parked your groups get a couple of 100% tighter. As it is an arcade game, that should solve the issue of people playing Worold of Camps in world of warships.

18 hours ago, R3dBaron said:

The sad truth is that WG transformed WoWs and naval battles into a WoT clone over the sea.

Have you noticed that almost all maps have dozens of islands/mountains? They are like the buildings and rocks people use to hide in WoT.

No real world naval force would ever navigate or seek battle within such restricted waters. Also, in WW1 and WW2 naval warfare, ships dead in water or not maneuvering vigorously would be sitting ducks but in WoWs is one of the most used tactics.

Unfortunately, WG made with WoWs the same mistake they did with WoWp but with better graphics and physics...

This is exactly my issue with the current state of the game. Less clutter, more speed use. less smoke, more gunfire. Less camping, more pounding!

• Cool 2

[BLITZ]
Players
2,053 posts
9,060 battles

Holding a good position isn't that bad.

I guess every ship will be punished if it's stationary.

Except battleships of course.

Players
757 posts
3,227 battles
Just now, SeeteufeI said:

Except battleships of course.

Say that to me punishing a Broadsiding Nelson with my 41cm Guns :cap_haloween: Thats was when the line was about to arrive. He was pretty salty about it

[BLITZ]
Players
2,053 posts
9,060 battles
18 hours ago, aidenthedestroyer said:

Say that to me punishing a Broadsiding Nelson with my 41cm Guns :cap_haloween: Thats was when the line was about to arrive. He was pretty salty about it

Come on, it was a Nelson, it doesn't make that big a difference if he's moving or not. :P

18 hours ago, R3dBaron said:

So you'd say people tend to camp less on Ocean? :Smile_sceptic:

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
14,610 posts
10,857 battles
28 minutes ago, Altharius said:

In what historical world war 1 or 2 naval battle did combat ships stop dead or reverse under fire? 

i can't remember a lot of those, even though I consider myself quite knowledgeable in the subject. Please enlighten me.

Because watching most of an anemy tier8-10 fleet parked or just back off most of the game seems quite counter-intuïtive to the nature of naval warfare. And the general state of the game 1 year ago.

One year ago?

You have no clue.

[YARRR]
59 posts
2,021 battles
11 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

One year ago?

You have no clue.

I took a break when everybody and their dog played DD and torps were everywhere.

Now most of the rooms are filled with cruisers running around with flamethrowers and BB hiding at max range not to be burned to death. 

The other extreme so to say. 

I'm sure it will be fixed, as DD have been balanced as well. But when and how? That is the question.

[CATS]
Players
14,610 posts
10,857 battles

You think DD are balanced and you wonder about the playstyle?

Ever wonder why WG plans to introduce DDs that are deadlier to BB?

You still think DD are balanced?

Players
1,408 posts
12,952 battles
18 hours ago, Altharius said:

I took a break when everybody and their dog played DD and torps were everywhere.

Now most of the rooms are filled with cruisers running around with flamethrowers and BB hiding at max range not to be burned to death. 

The other extreme so to say. 

I'm sure it will be fixed, as DD have been balanced as well. But when and how? That is the question.

Haha. Filled with 4 cruisers each game. Cruiser overpopulation confirmed. 

*Edited

Edited by Nohe21
*This post has been edited by the moderation team due to inappropriate remarks and non constructive comments.
  • Cool 4

Players
1,648 posts
12,084 battles
3 minutes ago, MortenTardo said:

Haha. Filled with 4 cruiser each game. Cruiser overpopulation confirmed. 

Stop pulling facts out of ur a$$ please. 

Clan Battles :P

• Cool 2

Players
3,308 posts
5,737 battles
8 minutes ago, MortenTardo said:

Haha. Filled with 4 cruiser each game. Cruiser overpopulation confirmed. 

I nearly spilled my coffee when I read..

17 minutes ago, Altharius said:

Now most of the rooms are filled with cruisers

But ok, trying to take a serious look at what OP says (even it sounds a whee bit like a whine). Then what do you suggest? Removing the capability to change speed? We get dropped into the game doing fullspeed? Remove all Islands or better make Ocean the one and only map? Remove HE on Cruisers and Torps on DDs? Do you have enough imagination to find out... how stupid and boring a game like this would actually be? And it has nothing to do anymore with the current game...

• Cool 1

Players
961 posts
4,863 battles

Well, I think the idea of tighter dispersion on parked targets is neat. That won't magically remove cover, but really make people think about their decision to slow down a bit more. Missing half a salvo on a stationary target is just frustrating. 

Edit: on second thought this could be rather bad, since simple acceleration would enable players to dodge full salvos and it could thus be abused at longer ranges. 

• Cool 1

[HEROI]
Beta Tester
49 posts
598 battles

Actually, the salvos dispersion values should be affected by the target speed, less dispersion against slower targets as a rule.

With this, WG would improve DD's and Cruisers survivability against BB's.

• Cool 3

[HEROI]
Beta Tester
49 posts
598 battles
11 minutes ago, Drake847 said:

Baron good idea. And now pleas tell the WG staff how to "code" it.  

Easy.

Use the current dispersion values of all guns and introduce a % buff for dispersion against surface targets at 0, 10, 20, 30, 40 and 40> kts.

Example: 0 kts = 20% better dispersion, 10 kts = 15% better dispersion, 20 kts = 10% better dispersion, 30 kts = 5% better dispersion, 40 kts = 0% better dispersion and above 40 kts = 5% worst dispersion (DD´s and fast cruisers slight survivability buff).

• Cool 1

[LOOM]
[LOOM]
Players
417 posts
18,895 battles

Mate dont tell me. Tell them how to code it in code . Oh and Show them the code aswell so they dont put bugs in it like double pens from ap Shells ect.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,102 posts
11,613 battles

There is an epidemic of bad players who park broadside to the enemy and slowly reverse. I see this every game and even in Clan Battles.

It's with all ships including DDs and Cruisers so they're not even bow tanking. 

People's tactical awareness is so low that they can't even consider more than one group of enemies...

• Cool 1

[YARRR]
59 posts
2,021 battles
1 hour ago, ForlornSailor said:

But ok, trying to take a serious look at what OP says (even it sounds a whee bit like a whine). Then what do you suggest? Removing the capability to change speed? We get dropped into the game doing fullspeed? Remove all Islands or better make Ocean the one and only map? Remove HE on Cruisers and Torps on DDs? Do you have enough imagination to find out... how stupid and boring a game like this would actually be? And it has nothing to do anymore with the current game...

I'm seeing more games in tier 5-6 with more cruisers than BB+DD combined. Wait for it to filter through to high tiers. And I am man enough to say it's a bit of a whine subject, but the current park and hide meta just goes against all of my judgement and feel when it comes to warships.

58 minutes ago, R3dBaron said:

Actually, the salvos dispersion values should be affected by the target speed, less dispersion against slower targets as a rule.

With this, WG would improve DD's and Cruisers survivability against BB's.

40 minutes ago, R3dBaron said:

Easy.

Use the current dispersion values of all guns and introduce a % buff for dispersion against surface targets at 0, 10, 20, 30, 40 and 40> kts.

Example: 0 kts = 20% better dispersion, 10 kts = 15% better dispersion, 20 kts = 10% better dispersion, 30 kts = 5% better dispersion, 40 kts = 0% better dispersion and above 40 kts = 5% worst dispersion (DD´s and fast cruisers slight survivability buff).

This is EXACTLY what I mean. It makes camping less beneficial, hiding a trade off between cover and, should you be found, being an easy target. And it would work in favor of DD/CA survivability as well. 

If only they would reduce the damage per tick of fire damage, it would be a better game again.

Beta Tester
320 posts
6,296 battles

Even if it is arcade, naval battles were fought in open waters, not hiding behind islands. The whole arcade premise is irrelevant because what players want IS immersion.

Unrealistic aspects of naval battle destroy immersion from the get go and have indeed turned wows into a wot clone of corner and back line camping.

• Cool 1

[B0TS]
Players
121 posts
12,027 battles

Some cruisers are paper thin and need the islands for protection, and they can lob their shells over at you.....it's up to you to counter this. But to be fair both teams should be even enough so what is happening to you should be happening to your opposite in the enemy team.

Beta Tester
621 posts
10,872 battles
1 minute ago, Altharius said:

I'm seeing more games in tier 5-6 with more cruisers than BB+DD combined. Wait for it to filter through to high tiers.

I mainly play T6-7 games and this is not the experience I have. Its normally 48-49 BB's per side over 10 games, I'm also seeing more CV's recently, which is meaning that over those 10 games Cruisers and DD's are each usually numbering in the 30's. The MM queue at times shows over 100 BB's queueing with the other classes rarely getting to double figures.