Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
urr027

Wallace Monument

24 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[TU]
Players
168 posts
4,859 battles

Don't know if anyone has spotted this, I noticed the Wallace Monument, a well known Scottish landmark on Twin Brothers. Only noticed it because someone in our team was shooting at it :cap_rambo:

vuAlIH0.jpg

  • Cool 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Players
888 posts
8,166 battles

Wow, pretty impressive.

Never noticed that before, nice.

Maybe the guy that shot at it was "Longshanks" 's great great great great great grand son.

:fish_glass:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,344 posts
5,355 battles

This is the annoying thing with WG, there's dozens of really important projects which need developers, modellers and skin creators working full time yet they've somehow got spare time to add a huge amount of inconsequential stuff like this (and towns with buses etc) to the maps which 99.9% of people will neither see nor care about.

 

So while I'm sure this little easter egg has given someone a chuckle, I wonder what "real" work has been delayed, missed or got wrong (like in this thread) because someone was creating items like this instead, but I'm just a grumpy git who wants to play a game without bugs, balance issues & design problems so what do I matter!

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TU]
Players
168 posts
4,859 battles

I don’t mind. Sometimes you have to let developers do what they like to keep them more motivated in their job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BFS]
Beta Tester
877 posts
5,131 battles
1 hour ago, IanH755 said:

This is the annoying thing with WG, there's dozens of really important projects which need developers, modellers and skin creators working full time yet they've somehow got spare time to add a huge amount of inconsequential stuff like this (and towns with buses etc) to the maps which 99.9% of people will neither see nor care about.

 

So while I'm sure this little easter egg has given someone a chuckle, I wonder what "real" work has been delayed, missed or got wrong (like in this thread) because someone was creating items like this instead, but I'm just a grumpy git who wants to play a game without bugs, balance issues & design problems so what do I matter!

 

You'll, probably, find that the people who work on game mechanics are not the same ones that work on the 'eye candy'.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
889 posts
7,325 battles

Might well be something a modeller worked on during his/her lunch breaks. And even if not, that's kind of cute. Little homages to the players' home countries.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
626 posts
2,055 battles

Carbon dating suggests the Wallace sword dates from the late 16th C but hey ho the Yank tourists flock to it in droves :cap_money:needless to say every time some yank mentions Braveheart I cringe and smile politely :Smile_amazed: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ADRIA]
Players
4,269 posts
6,795 battles

To be fair, if you ever take time to explore the islands with free cam... you can spend hours upon hours in just one map, maybe even days. There are so many interesting things all over them, and every now and then they change.

 

Buildings hidden in forests, forest roads and tracks, jeeps and trucks driving around, planes on or nearby airfields and so much more.

 

If you ever find yourself dead waiting for a division mate - go exploring, you probably won't be disappointed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Modder
1,601 posts
3,455 battles

plain stupid. cheesiness intensifies. placing completelly inappropriate objects on random locations. wg is sometimes like completelly out of mind and common sense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
40 posts
8,627 battles

Could be one of the designers is Scottish and just wanted to leave their mark. Sometimes designers do this type of thing in their own time when playing around with software.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BYOB]
Players
3,081 posts
11,109 battles

There's also Chateau Frontenac on Warrior's Path on the southernmost of the islands at middle left. I noticed it today while playing my Shchors.

There are probably a dozen building easter eggs hidden on the maps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,608 posts
7,323 battles
13 hours ago, MacFergus said:

Carbon dating suggests the Wallace sword dates from the late 16th C but hey ho the Yank tourists flock to it in droves :cap_money:needless to say every time some yank mentions Braveheart I cringe and smile politely :Smile_amazed: 

 

I'm pretty sure you can't carbon date steel, it's a technique that only works on organic material.

 

The big problem with the "Wallace sword" is stylistic, it's features are more typical of 16th century swords.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[C1DFL]
Beta Tester
1,905 posts
8,872 battles

iChase did some videos about the eastereggs a while ago.

 

I started a similiar project myself in the german and english forum sections back in the summer 2016 but somehow lost track of the many changes they did to most of the maps and thus didn´t continue.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Modder
1,601 posts
3,455 battles

what about eiffel tower? liberty statue? giza pyramids? i want them on some map too...preferably all next to each other

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TU]
Players
168 posts
4,859 battles
11 hours ago, puxflacet said:

what about eiffel tower? liberty statue? giza pyramids? i want them on some map too...preferably all next to each other

That would be too corny, as everyone recognizes these. Wallace Monument as in this example would not be recognized by most people, you would probably know about it only if you had visited it as a tourist or if you were Scottish or at least from UK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ONE2]
Players
2,413 posts
14,381 battles
On 11/4/2017 at 9:37 PM, urr027 said:

...Only noticed it because someone in our team was shooting at it :cap_rambo:

Obviously an Englishman... But nope, haff not noticed that one. Must remember to commit a quick suicide run in my next game and check it out.:cap_like:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TU]
Players
168 posts
4,859 battles
19 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

Obviously an Englishman... But nope, haff not noticed that one. Must remember to commit a quick suicide run in my next game and check it out.:cap_like:

No need to suicide, it should not be too hard to see if you spawn on the South side of the map :cap_look:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ONE2]
Players
2,413 posts
14,381 battles

Aaah, so there is an easier way then...:cap_hmm:

BUT Naah!

The most honorable Imperial Japanese Navy traditionally always suicide first before engage in pleasure.:cap_win:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Modder
1,601 posts
3,455 battles
16 hours ago, urr027 said:

That would be too corny, as everyone recognizes these. Wallace Monument as in this example would not be recognized by most people, you would probably know about it only if you had visited it as a tourist or if you were Scottish or at least from UK.

 

corny enough. those who dont recognize it must be thinking that it is something like this

Orthanc_Isengard_1.jpg

 

and speaking about being corny, you are ok with this thing being on a map?

le-mont-saint-michel-1-.jpg

9c97U27.jpg

...not corny at all...

Spoiler

0.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[B_S_C]
[B_S_C]
Beta Tester
26 posts
9,213 battles

Yup, went into a replay file and they've modelled it pretty well.

 

I see the phallus wallacesus out of my window since I live in Stirling.

WallaceMonumentWoWs.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×