Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
AkosJaccik

The Modelers' Workshop

11 comments in this topic

Players
894 posts
11,126 battles

Welcome!

Posting my simple Roma model in another topic gave me the idea that there are probably a few of us around who made, or even currently working on ship models. While I did not search for a similar topic, I am certain that it exists, but I'd rather not have my head cut off for necroing.

...so! If you have any ship models you made, feel free to post it, but any tips, tricks, questions or "just" general posts are welcome! I really don't feel like inventing, especially enforcing any rules, but here are my recommendations to keep the topic easy to follow: let's put one ship into one post, in case of wip feel free to regularly edit your post (at the top you might make a note of the latest date of editing). Besides the name of the vessel, also tell us the scale, and feel free to talk about anything you feel like, like the improvements you made, ideas you had or difficulties you encountered.

• Cool 1

Players
894 posts
11,126 battles

ROMA

Regia Marina, 1:1200

Finished / Work in progress (last edited: ----)

Kit: Revell Roma 1/1200, no other upgrades used

One weekend I was rather bored of my own face, so I decided to get myself a simple, cheap and quick model. Back at home I have a good enough selection of modeling tools, but at the city where I study and where I therefore rent an apartment I had to start basically from scratch. Not that I wanted to dump a metric ton of money into the idea, so I went to the shop and looked for 1:1200 models. My choices were the KGV, the Scharnhorst and the Roma, and I choose the latter. As for tools all I had was some Revell enamel paints, a small amount of thinner, two brushes in sizes of 0 and 6 (completely useless, so I shamelessly "modified" it with scissors) and... that's about it, really.

r1.thumb.jpg.5b86eec73654729190a4b76d82865c70.jpg

The one thing I probably should have bought regardless are some masking tapes, as that would have improved her looks by one magnitude instead of the freehand brush strokes, but oh well, overall I am statisfied with the result. You might notice that the paint scheme isn't necessarily looking as it should look, but I mainly just went with the kit's attached paint scheme proposal.

Some "work in progress"-pictures: (taken with my phone unfortunately)

Spoiler

r2.thumb.jpg.45d9502513af94b370a16d38170b6f12.jpg

Decks are more or less painted, and the turrets also got their base colors. The assembly instruction only put a single airplane onto the ship (shown on the catapult), and let the aft with two holes on it. I could have covered it up somehow (of course, I did not have putty either, but anything could have worked), but I took the liberty and used the two plane carriages and the second plane in the kit and put them on the model. The instruction marked these as "not needed". Welp.

r3.thumb.jpg.5cbdf80841c9f7b9ce67c2d689e86f71.jpg

I had problems with joining the hull and the deck plate which I did not solve sufficiently, although after the painting, the gaps are not that visible. On a later model (I bought the Scharnhorst too) therefore I gave more attention to it from the get-go, and managed to solve the problem simply by removing two of the four pins responsible for orienting the deck plate, completely removing the warping effect.

The anchor chains got a coat of simple graphite thanks to a mechanical pencil. Very simple solution, but it looks very convincing in such a small scale, giving the chain the necessary detail and metallic feeling.

And the end result.

Spoiler

r4.thumb.jpg.099107e23a0f797c7a6ce934c6a20254.jpg

I successfully managed to break the crane. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Job well done I guess. Anyway, while the instructions said nothing about it, I tried to give at least a bit of life to the aircrafts as well. I was thinking about showing the platform on which the catapult traverses as well, but I rather did not risk it.

r5.thumb.jpg.9e68d31d02ea868cd1ac365d342bff2e.jpg

I was also thinking about adding some riggings, but I ditched the idea for two reasons. One, the rigging would be very concentrated between the two masts, and I am unsure how it would eventually look like. Secondly and mainly, I generally use fishing line for cables on my models, which I had none in my apartment. In fact, I wouldn't make a problem out of using my own hair either, but neither had I any superglue, as classic model glue would not work in those cases (plus I bought some rather thin model glue, suddenly I'm not sure about the manufacturer). So I guess she stays as she is now.

r6.thumb.jpg.19dc4ac8059f82d2e03a9347ed26397f.jpg

Top-down view.

r7.thumb.jpg.f6cc7b3c5d309c3cd52c7ee27a2c5d1d.jpg

A rather spectacular screw-up was that I did not gave attention to remove the burr lines (I can only hope that this is the proper english term) on the turrets at all. While I did not have any file or sandpaper, I did have a scalpel so I had the means to work on it to some degree.

• Cool 1

Players
894 posts
11,126 battles

YAMATO

Nippon Kaigun, 1:350

Finished / Work in progress (last edited: 2017.11.04)

Kit: Tamiya     (old tooling), photo etching: Eduard

For a long time in my young(...er!) years, I loved to make model tanks and airplanes. I never was good at it, mind you, but I liked tinkering with them regardless. Wows gave me the idea to return to this hobby, this time with something... bigger.

y1.thumb.jpg.30a28bade4b7dec280c0e4021c840807.jpg

While I sunk a far amount of time into this girl, I still have a long way to go. My biggest fear is the wooden deck, but for now, I'll focus on one problem at once. This kit is giving me a fair amount of challange apart from that too, this is my first time working with photo etchings as well as paint sprays. Currently, I gave the first coat of red paint to the hull - my plan is to mask the bottom part of it later and spray the grey color over it; hopefully it won't bite me in the *ss.

Some WIP pictures.

Spoiler

y3.thumb.jpg.379aba6cbbc4ee1df5f1b45d8fc25464.jpg

I am usually using PE-parts for the covers on most surfaces, including the triple 20mm turrets. It's extremely tedious. My soul is twisted forever because of them - and I didn't even add railings for them!

y4.thumb.jpg.2563360d7be5ada8bdea002583beab9e.jpg

Dual-purpose guns for all your not-hitting-american-airplanes needs.

y5.thumb.jpg.a7cb39b000fb5d65247b1ac2cf58ce23.jpg

Did I screw up the railing on the turret? Isurediiiiid...! As for the airplanes, I have not yet decided how I'll use them on the model.

y6.thumb.jpg.b530900c9a3f106381ae04e624d1e6d2.jpg

Mogami sends her regards. Maybe I could have replaced the barrels with steel barrels, but come on. I can barely handle the model as it is now.

y7.thumb.jpg.bf6ac61bdf8605bba61ab78fc176120d.jpg

The original plastic part, it's replacement, and the replacement parts.

y8.thumb.jpg.f72f1aeaca980ad0bad0c7e62859b07a.jpg

Work in progress air group. Well, half of it.

y2.thumb.JPG.c63f1baa6527b655108e743d8c74fb58.JPG

A newer picture. None of the AA guns are glued into place as of now - it's just a dry testing (this is why for example the rearmost DP turret is so tilted). I am rather pleased with the mast, but some of the railings will require repairing.

• Cool 4

[HAERT]
Beta Tester
672 posts
4,807 battles

Very nice to see. Thanks for sharing.

However, I recently went to Japan and visited the museums at Kure. Do you think you're up to this??? (and yes, those are real people in the background!)

IMG_2605.JPG

• Cool 2

Beta Tester, Players
470 posts
4,911 battles

do warhammer models count?

Im quite proud of this one i just recently did.

20171105_002613.jpg

20171105_002621.jpg

Edited by Captain_Placeholder
Screw it, ima post one anyway
  • Cool 1

Players
404 posts
3,247 battles
19 hours ago, AkosJaccik said:

YAMATO

Nippon Kaigun, 1:350

Finished / Work in progress (last edited: 2017.11.04)

Kit: Tamiya     (old tooling), photo etching: Eduard

For a long time in my young(...er!) years, I loved to make model tanks and airplanes. I never was good at it, mind you, but I liked tinkering with them regardless. Wows gave me the idea to return to this hobby, this time with something... bigger.

y1.thumb.jpg.30a28bade4b7dec280c0e4021c840807.jpg

While I sunk a far amount of time into this girl, I still have a long way to go. My biggest fear is the wooden deck, but for now, I'll focus on one problem at once. This kit is giving me a fair amount of challange apart from that too, this is my first time working with photo etchings as well as paint sprays. Currently, I gave the first coat of red paint to the hull - my plan is to mask the bottom part of it later and spray the grey color over it; hopefully it won't bite me in the *ss.

Some WIP pictures.

Hide contents

y3.thumb.jpg.379aba6cbbc4ee1df5f1b45d8fc25464.jpg

I am usually using PE-parts for the covers on most surfaces, including the triple 20mm turrets. It's extremely tedious. My soul is twisted forever because of them - and I didn't even add railings for them!

y4.thumb.jpg.2563360d7be5ada8bdea002583beab9e.jpg

Dual-purpose guns for all your not-hitting-american-airplanes needs.

y5.thumb.jpg.a7cb39b000fb5d65247b1ac2cf58ce23.jpg

Did I screw up the railing on the turret? Isurediiiiid...! As for the airplanes, I have not yet decided how I'll use them on the model.

y6.thumb.jpg.b530900c9a3f106381ae04e624d1e6d2.jpg

Mogami sends her regards. Maybe I could have replaced the barrels with steel barrels, but come on. I can barely handle the model as it is now.

y7.thumb.jpg.bf6ac61bdf8605bba61ab78fc176120d.jpg

The original plastic part, it's replacement, and the replacement parts.

y8.thumb.jpg.f72f1aeaca980ad0bad0c7e62859b07a.jpg

Work in progress air group. Well, half of it.

y2.thumb.JPG.c63f1baa6527b655108e743d8c74fb58.JPG

A newer picture. None of the AA guns are glued into place as of now - it's just a dry testing (this is why for example the rearmost DP turret is so tilted). I am rather pleased with the mast, but some of the railings will require repairing.

I love that Yamato model, the detail is truly amazing. I feel your pain over the photo-etched parts: I'm currently building a Tamiya Sherman VC Firefly, and the guards over the optics were all photo-etched. I feel I did okay with them, but they could have been neater. Perhaps I'll get me a ship model at some point. I have an airbrush, so hopefully I can do the model justice with the paint finish. Any recommendations on good kits?

[BTS]
Players
1,064 posts
4,867 battles

MAS 527

Regia Marina, 1:20

Finished

Scratchbuild (wood, GRP, styrene, brass)

This one was meant to be RC but finally I kept it static. I didn't feel like losing it on the river.

mas_5210.jpg

mas_5213.jpg

mas_5211.jpg

mas_5210.jpg

mas_5212.jpg

mas_5212.jpg

• Cool 6

[BTS]
Players
1,064 posts
4,867 battles

Leone Pancaldo

Regia Marina, 1/200

Finished

Dom Bumagi paper model with GPM photoetched details and gun barrels

Crew figures: civilian Preiser figures enlisted in the Regia Marina

pancal10.jpg

pancal11.jpg

dscf3810.jpg

pancal12.jpg

pancal13.jpg

dscf3811.jpg

dscf3812.jpg

dscf3814.jpg

• Cool 4

[BTS]
Players
1,064 posts
4,867 battles

SSK 518 Nazario Sauro

Marina Militare, 1/50

Finished

Scratchbuilt (wood, plastic, custom-made resin and photoetched accessories)

This is not my best result so far, but surely the model which gave me the biggest satisfaction. That's because it was a shared project intended for a naval museum. Two fellow modelers built the periscopes and the pressure hull, the owner of LSM Models copied the propeller blades in resin then draw the photoetched parts and had them produced; Lifecolor provided us the peculiar blue paint used by Italian SSKs. An architect joining the project draw the decals. I received the parts, built everything else (deck, keel, sail, rudders, the torpedo on its loading tray, etc...), then assembled and painted everything.

dscf4112.jpg

The Whitehead A 184 torpedo on the loading tray

dscf4115.jpg

dscf4116.jpg

dscf4122.jpg

dscf4124.jpg

dscf4129.jpg

The strange appendage on the stern with the S-shaped duct is the towed sonar support brace and wire duct. The sonar itself is still a military secret and we couldn't reproduce it :Smile_hiding:

The shape of the propeller's blades has been somewhat altered too for the same concerns.

Disclaimer: I don't own the plans of the sonar or the propeller, KGB needn't to search my house.

dscf4130.jpg

dscf4131.jpg

dscf4133.jpg

dscf4135.jpg

Built in friendship and cooperation by members of the Betasom cultural association to be donated to the Galata Museo del Mare, Genoa :Smile_Default:

• Cool 3

Players
894 posts
11,126 battles

Fantastic and inspiring work, @Cosseria! :Smile_great: I especially like for some reason your MAS model - I only have a limited knowledge about the Regia Marina, but as far as I know, the MAS boats were exceedingly successful. I also really dig the rigging on Leone Pancaldo plus the very neat camo scheme! It's interesting to look at your water surface too; I just recently bought some commercially available "Water effects" product, just to experiment and go wild with all kinds of techniques with a similar diorama (albeit with one that will most likely stand on a much lower quality).

• Cool 1

[BTS]
Players
1,064 posts
4,867 battles

Thanks mate, glad you find this inspiring - that's what I share my works for.

A little historical note: aside from the older crafts, RM actually had two classes of MAS boats in service in WW II, the 500, the proper MAS, and the MS, standing for MotoSilurante.

The MAS 500 was a prewar project for a light MTB meant to reach very high speeds at the expense of armament and seaworthiness. As soon as war experience showed that this made for poor operational records (the boats were fast and nimble but unable to reach top speeds in anything but calm seas), the CRDA shipyards copied the German-built Yugoslav E-Boats. Thus the MS, slower but able to operate in any sea state and better armed, was put into production. The Italian Schnellboot was powered by 3 Isotta Fraschini petrol engines, the same of the MAS boats (the Germans wouldn't share neither the hull plans, nor the diesel engines), and used 20 mm Breda guns.

1284582857.JPG

This class was overall more appreciated than the MAS; MS 16 and 22 crippled HMS Manchester during Operation Pedestal, keeping the record for the biggest warship sunk during the conflict for the RM. In contrast, the biggest success of the MAS boats was munching away the aft section of Soviet cruiser Molotov in the Black Sea, by MAS 568.

Back to our models:

the rigging is nothing too difficult to achieve, as the scale is quite big; I used fishing lines of different diameters (0.20 and 0.10 mm) glued with CA. With hindsight, I'd better have used elastic fishing line to make sure everything keeps taut. I advise you to get this kind of line as it's much easier to use.

I can get no credit for the camo as this was neatly printed on the paper parts :fish_cute_2:

The water surfaces are quite trivial too. On a base which has been rendered impervious to moisture, draw the outline of the ship hull then apply a thin coat of wall finish plaster all around and sculpt the waves with a wet scalpel. It is important to keep an aerial photo of the ship (or a ship with a similar hull) at hand in order to properly shape the hull waves.

Once dry, you may have to fill some cracks on the plaster or to add some more for the biggest waves.

Painting is both fun and forgiving as you just have to put a base coat of medium shade, then once dry a thinned uniform coat of a darker shade and finally a soft drybrushing with the lighter color on the wave crests. You screw up? No problem, just try another combination of shades/paints or methods.

Glue the ship in place with some vinyl glue (it helps blending the hull with the base) and add the spray with cotton and white paint.

Water effects products are totally fine but in such big scales they lack the texture to form conspicuous waves; I may try them to add a different finish to the surface though.

Stormy seas may be reproduced sculpting polystyrene sheets to get the wave volumes on which the usual plaster is then applied. This is a repaint of the 1/400 JSC paper model of ORP Burza which I altered (with MS Paint :cap_cool:) in order to reproduce the French Bourrasque. I then "sank" it into the stormy sea base made with a piece of scrap polystyrene.

dscf3910.jpg

dscf3911.jpg

I hope you'll believe me if I say that there's really nothing out of reach for the common bob in everything that I've built. If you think that it takes a Buddist monk's patience and a surgeon's hand, I'm quite impatient and ham-fisted myself. The big scale models like the MAS or the SSK need indeed a bit of working space and tooling to be built, but those plastic and paper models only take the corner of a table and minimal tools. I'm confident this will encourage some of you to try this fantastic hobby.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this