You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
RivvenDarke

Anyone still using AP?

61 comments in this topic

[KNODT]
Players
11 posts

Seriously, it seems since the introduction of Brit BBs anyone is spamming HE only. I play all kinda ships but i can really understand the BBs when they camp at 25km range. If you get closer you will immidiatly burn to death. Even with maxed out skills / equipment, every salvo means a fire.

Seen so many games where ´even T9 BBs spam salvo after salvo of HE in T7 cruisers at close range.

I read quite some books about naval battles and could not find much evidence of using HE ammo there. At least not to the effect that these ships light up from bow to stern - this isnt age of sail. What burns there anyway? Do they keep fuel tanks stategically posotioned all over the ship? Are the made of wood and only painted in highly inflammable steel color? 

I know this isnt meant to be highly realistic but I really hope the Devs will have a look into this and maybe correct the fire mechanics as they did with smoke (maybe max 2 fires per ship, 1 with the skill)

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
4,528 posts
9,851 battles

First of all. AP is still the largest and most consistent damage source in game.

And ships did, and does burn. A warship isn't a tub of steel. It's a tub of steel filled with fuel, ammo and all sorts of fittings made of volatile and/or combustible materials. And it would be amazingly easy to fill this thread with examples of ships that sank partly or completely due to fires.

Players
640 posts

uss_arizona_burning_sinking.jpg

RivvenDarke, what do you think was burning on the USS Arizona as it sank at Pearl Harbour?

The most unrealistic aspect of the fire mechanics of this game is that AP ammo (and torps) NEVER causes fires.

• Cool 1

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
11,597 posts
16,720 battles

Yes, WG should make fire more realistic. By making it a lot more lethal than it is now.

And while we're on the topic of realism, torps should also be able to start fires and fires near magazines should lead to detonations if untended for too long.

Now that we can trash realism, here's the deal:

The damage fire deals is fine. Heck, against BBs it's perhaps even a bit too weak.

BBs camping 25km in the back is not understandable.

If you burn to death immediately you have severely misplayed.

T9 BBs targeting T7 cruisers at close range with HE is idiotic.

Warships in WWII burned when hit.

And if you still think fires are too powerful, l2p.

• Cool 3

Players
1,189 posts
9,590 battles

Anyone still using AP?

Actually i use it approx 50% of the time and i play cruisers and dd only. On german dds it's perhaps 75% ap and 25% he, on all other dds and cruisers it's 50/50 depending on the situation. Well, an exception are french cruiser, they are good at long range he spamming, so …

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
835 posts
13,225 battles
2 hours ago, Lin3 said:

uss_arizona_burning_sinking.jpg

RivvenDarke, what do you think was burning on the USS Arizona as it sank at Pearl Harbour?

The most unrealistic aspect of the fire mechanics of this game is that AP ammo (and torps) NEVER causes fires.

Her ammunition? And the flooding caused by the bomb exploding it sank her...

IF AP in this game would have caused floodings and fires as they did in real life, then this game would only use AP.

Players
915 posts
11,130 battles

AP? Are you kidding? I saw people using even speed boost on RN battleships! :Smile_trollface:

Spoiler

amikorjovokvazegakkorIGENJOVOKVAZEG.thumb.png.f014d4ffb9e1f19f41ae46da3ab84cd2.png

• Cool 1

Players
763 posts
4,147 battles
5 minutes ago, AkosJaccik said:

AP? Are you kidding? I saw people using even speed boost on RN battleships! :Smile_trollface:

Reveal hidden contents

amikorjovokvazegakkorIGENJOVOKVAZEG.thumb.png.f014d4ffb9e1f19f41ae46da3ab84cd2.png

British Engineering good chap! :P

• Cool 1

Players
680 posts
5,059 battles

He I use when dd or cruiser Mahan or Atago on ships like Misoury Bism FdG I always use AP unless adversary is angling and hard to hit wasn't that the deal? Since the free respec and advisory of other forumers I changed capt. skills for endurance on Bis and FdG on Miss I already had don't brawl at cap but also not snipe in the back, seems to work although there will always be a fire there will be less and it will be put out sooner  

Alpha Tester
5,609 posts
5,568 battles

If you read only whining on forum, no, no one is using AP (except when they shoot destroyers).

In game though, it's very much same as always.

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,364 posts
8,635 battles

I use AP unless the ship is angled then I use HE.

I have had enemy BBs fire HE at me even when I'm not correctly angled (multiple targets in different direction so it's sometimes hard to angle).

[HOO]
Beta Tester
680 posts
5,757 battles
55 minutes ago, AkosJaccik said:

49 minutes ago, aidenthedestroyer said:

British Engineering good chap! :P

Thats not speed boost, that's the bonus effect of a good wet of strong tea and the promise of 'Splice the Mainbrace' at the end. :cap_fainting:

Alpha Tester
658 posts

i only AP use at my BB and cruisers,the target angle is not matter the supertructer is always weak spot for every ship and that spot you can always hit and make damage.

other i tested gaijin naval part (only for DDs ,pts dont care me) and there the fire is not OP then WoWs and the HE shells has little fire chance like in real.the fire start when only hit the funnels or very close to engines,and yes when a bomb hit the funnels on my Z-20 they cause fire and flodding but can repair and deal with very short time so its not OP,but the torp not cause fire when hit the aft( start to sink barely can handle that flodding).

so the gaijin naval part is better not OP troll HE spam and 200% fire chance shells,well the planes very deadly when drop the torp in your face(second part of hate in WoWs and not this the only reason not play mostly this game and very wait for gaijin naval part(some rumor say they want to test bigger ships then DDs so maybe cruisers the next)

Players
2,433 posts
11,419 battles

I even grinded the british BB line with traditional AP play. I simply didnt know about the strong HE on these ships. Since i started to spam HE with Conqueror, i refuse to play this ship anymore.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
10 minutes ago, Terendir said:

I even grinded the british BB line with traditional AP play. I simply didnt know about the strong HE on these ships. Since i started to spam HE with Conqueror, i refuse to play this ship anymore.

You don't enjoy consistent 150k+ HE only damage games? :cap_rambo:

Yeah actually it's a bit obscene, after 10 games my average damage is 167k in her which is a whopping 60k more than any other T10 BB that I play. I do dislike T10 BBs however.

WG are stuck now as how do they go about balancing this? Maybe massively nerf fire change and just leave the super IFHE element in? But even then 12 barrels of strong HE beats any AP hands down as it's far more consistent. If you're at 20km exchanging rounds with a Yam, maybe 1 salvo in 10 they might get a super AP citadel strike but if you're both angled then chances are the AP will be blocked or overpen some non vital part.

The best part of RN BB HE however are the potatoes in other nation's BBs who fire HE back at you. I laugh at the Bismarck and Tirpitz Div a few days ago that tried exchange HE with me at 20km in a Lion :Smile_Default:

[BLITZ]
Players
2,779 posts
10,269 battles
3 hours ago, Vanhal said:

If you read only whining on forum, no, no one is using AP (except when they shoot destroyers).

I can't remember taking a >12k HE hit in a DD so....

Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles
1 hour ago, Negativvv said:

You don't enjoy consistent 150k+ HE only damage games? :cap_rambo:

Yeah actually it's a bit obscene, after 10 games my average damage is 167k in her which is a whopping 60k more than any other T10 BB that I play. I do dislike T10 BBs however.

WG are stuck now as how do they go about balancing this? Maybe massively nerf fire change and just leave the super IFHE element in? But even then 12 barrels of strong HE beats any AP hands down as it's far more consistent. If you're at 20km exchanging rounds with a Yam, maybe 1 salvo in 10 they might get a super AP citadel strike but if you're both angled then chances are the AP will be blocked or overpen some non vital part.

Feels like WG made RN BB HE this way:

http://foldoc.org/SNAFU+principle

To balance game mechanics between AP and HE the later used to have lot lower damage than AP, plus problems in penning any thicker armor.

That balance simply broke down in RN BB HE.

• Cool 2

[S_C]
Players
151 posts
9,751 battles
4 hours ago, AkosJaccik said:

Hide contents

looks like WG have introduced Habakkuk to the game:cap_wander:

• Cool 2

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,870 posts
10,127 battles
10 hours ago, RivvenDarke said:

I read quite some books about naval battles and could not find much evidence of using HE ammo there.

I seriously feel like I have to post this quote every month...

Both German ships concentrated their fire on Hood. About a minute after opening fire, Prinz Eugen scored a hit with a high-explosive 20.3 cm (8.0 in) shell, detonating Unrotated Projectile ammunition and starting a large fire on Hood, which was quickly extinguished.[30] Holland then ordered a second 20° turn to port, to bring his ships on a parallel course with Bismarck and Prinz Eugen. By this time, Bismarck had found the range to Hood, so Lütjens ordered Prinz Eugen to shift fire and target Prince of Wales to keep both of his opponents under fire. Within a few minutes, Prinz Eugen scored a pair of hits on the battleship and reported that a small fire had been started.

Additionally, most "armor piercing" shells on low caliber guns, like the widespread US 127mm/38 were just sAP shells, aka an HE shell with a hardened nose and a less sensitive fuze.

• Cool 1

Players
763 posts
4,147 battles
3 hours ago, Terendir said:

Aw now dont feal bad. Think shes a Zao who ate much more and went to Britian..... (Im so lucky I dont have a tier 10 yet)

MEANWHILE IN RUSSIA

Stalin hears of British HE.....

"Komrades, It is time!"

Unleashes Gangut

Beta Tester
2,440 posts
6,679 battles

I constantly switch AP/HE depending on the situation, it may sound odd but i kina like the HE BB meta if im in a BB myself (get caught in a bad position, just to get a HE hello, and return AP airmail to sender:Smile_trollface:, heh the song return to sender comes to mind. XD), in CA/DD's is another matter though, in CA's i usually loose engines witch is a bit anoying. :Smile_Default:

Players
16 posts
1,074 battles

Mostly I fire rubber safety ammo that bounces off and the enemy firing HE or AP or throwing rocks do massive damage and start fires with every shell, 

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,593 posts
14,041 battles

Just keep in mind that HE gets significantly stronger by as much as your fires started manage to overpower the enemies repair party, as you will have noticed if you ever teamed up with a friendly RN CA in comparison to a friendly IJN CA.

The more people use HE and start fires the more potent and dangerous it gets!

So I too use HE often, especially if accompanied by a friendly fire-starter (Kutusov, Belfast, Mogami etc), even if in a BB for as long as the enemy does not offer better pot shots.