You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
__Themistocles__

How do I get my standalone launcher back?

37 comments in this topic

Players
89 posts
10,330 battles

I made a grave mistake of trying out World of Warplanes (game is ok, just not my cup of tea). Why you say "grave"?. Because now I can't play WoWs without Wargaming center.

Upon trying to reinstall the game, I have to install the Center.

Is there any way to get the standalone launcher back? 

• Cool 1

Players
89 posts
10,330 battles
Just now, robihr said:

cant you just link wows launcher directly?

I dont know what you mean. I tried launching the launcher, it says that it needs Wargaming center now to launch (which kinda defeats the launcher). It seems it created some dependency which cannot be undone (I've searched the net and people said that it's pretty much irreversible). 

Alternative was to launch the game directly which worked, but then I'd have to launch the launcher for every patch.

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
11,797 battles

I have opened a ticket with support for the regular internet installer executable, but so far there has been no reply.

I'd advise to open a ticket about that aswell. A bit of pressure might be just what WG needs to keep distributing the non-Game Center launcher at least until the Game Center is working satisfyingly.

Players
89 posts
10,330 battles
Just now, Aotearas said:

I have opened a ticket with support for the regular internet installer executable, but so far there has been no reply.

I'd advise to open a ticket about that aswell. A bit of pressure might be just what WG needs to keep distributing the non-Game Center launcher at least until the Game Center is working satisfyingly.

Done that, hopefully I can get the launcher back. 

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
11,797 battles
4 minutes ago, Nechrom said:

Just curious. What's so horrible about the Game Center?

It isn't working properly a good chunk of the time.

For example a clanmate of mine (@Lanfear1981) tried to install WoWs on his laptop today, but the Game Center kept telling him that he had no internet connection ...which is false as said clanmate of mine was talking to me over TeamSpeak to see if we can perhaps troubleshoot for potential user error and writing tickets to WG support from the same laptop.

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
2,863 posts
10,667 battles
9 minutes ago, Nechrom said:

Remember that it is from WG and then calculate the possibility of that crap working without major issues from there ......:Smile_trollface:

• Cool 4

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,790 posts
8,979 battles
3 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

For example a clanmate of mine (@Lanfear1981) tried to install WoWs on his laptop today, but the Game Center kept telling him that he had no internet connection ...which is false as said clanmate of mine was talking to me over TeamSpeak to see if we can perhaps troubleshoot for potential user error and writing tickets to WG support from the same laptop.

Just now, havaduck said:

Remember that it is from WG and then calculate the possibility of that crap working without major issues from there ......:Smile_trollface:

I've been using it for a short while since WoWp 2.0 and I have to say that it has been working much better than some more high-profile launchers like the Battle.Net launcher for example (that's some absolute trash).

But I feel like they shouldn't be forcing the Game Center on people while it's still in beta.

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
6,009 battles
18 minutes ago, havaduck said:

Must be said, after 3-4 months with it, not a single issue.

They still cant code a proper chat window for port, but the launcher so far has 100% acc.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,529 posts
11,480 battles
58 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

For me GC works well... only sometimes it works well when I don't f*cking want it to - despite any "auto-update" things being turned off, this sh*t sometimes tries to download some update, especially if left working in the background OR after getting out of a game OR after being left open with computer sent to sleep - on wakeup it sometimes decides that it's the best moment to resume paused download or start a new one I ignored so far...

Still, I'll probably stick to it since the standalone launcher sometimes caused blue screen while downloading big updates while GC so far didn't cause such problems. And I prefer to wrestle with unwanted downloads from time to time than to suffer bluescreens...

Players
1,678 posts

Is installing WoWP the mistake that triggers the GC? Because that's something I haven't done and I still have the standalone launchers for WoT and WoWS.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,529 posts
11,480 battles
1 hour ago, Browarszky said:

Is installing WoWP the mistake that triggers the GC? Because that's something I haven't done and I still have the standalone launchers for WoT and WoWS.

There are some games that work only with GC. WoWp is one of them, TW:A is another. WoWs still works with its own loader so you don't need GC and WG doesn't force you to switch if you don't want to.

• Cool 1

Players
1,678 posts
9 minutes ago, eliastion said:

There are some games that work only with GC. WoWp is one of them, TW:A is another. WoWs still works with its own loader so you don't need GC and WG doesn't force you to switch if you don't want to.

Ok, good to know, cheers!

Weekend Tester
1,244 posts
2 hours ago, Nechrom said:

It's not specific to the WGGC, it's just that I suddenly have more "game center" programs than I have actual games. The point of having a "game center" app is to gather all your games in one place but now every single publisher is making their own one that they shove down your throat.

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,790 posts
8,979 battles
3 hours ago, xCaptainObviousx said:

It's not specific to the WGGC, it's just that I suddenly have more "game center" programs than I have actual games. The point of having a "game center" app is to gather all your games in one place but now every single publisher is making their own one that they shove down your throat.

But it replaces the game-specific launcher.

At worst you just get a replacement for the old launcher, but if you play any of their other games you're getting rid of 1-2 launchers.

I get why publishers don't want to just surrender to Steam. It's a massive advantage to have control over how your launcher works. Showing news articles, offers, information etc and allowing for advanced features like SD and HD content, partial download playability etc.

It might be more awkward for the consumer, but I also don't think it's healthy for the market to hand over all that power to a single company, especially with how Steam is managed. I think it's worth having to fiddle with different distribution platforms as long as they all work okay.

Players
1,189 posts
9,579 battles
10 hours ago, Nechrom said:

As others said, it is buggy. Other than that a game center only makes sense if you play multiple games from one publisher. If you only play WoWs, why use a application managing tool just to launch your one game? It's just unnecessary overkill that is on top of it buggy too and causes trouble for quite a few people if you monitor the forums from different regions and sites like reddit.

And it get even more retarded now, since WoWs comes over Steam as well, another game center software, not compatible with the WoWs game center and comes with a hole bunch of Steam-typical restrictions - yet we all play the same game and in most cases this is only WoWs and not the whole bunch of games WG offers.

Players
493 posts
3,667 battles
12 hours ago, havaduck said:

Its like a handicap really.

[BBMM]
Players
938 posts
4,391 battles
21 minutes ago, Technocrat_Prime said:

Battle.net, UPlay, Origin, Steam, Wargaming, Paradox and that is just me. Why does every game company think itself so important to have its own launcher? 

Remember when every company wanted you to use their 'portal' as a sort of front page to access the internet? Yahoo news, MSNBC, all that nonsense? Yeah, because that.

The only issues I have with the GC is that I haven't found a way to rearrange the tabs and when you close it, it minimises to the system tray instead of closing the bloody thing. Steam plays the same trick, it's annoying but hardly the end of the world.

Players
89 posts
10,330 battles
Just now, Strappster said:

Remember when every company wanted you to use their 'portal' as a sort of front page to access the internet? Yahoo news, MSNBC, all that nonsense? Yeah, because that.

The only issues I have with the GC is that I haven't found a way to rearrange the tabs and when you close it, it minimises to the system tray instead of closing the bloody thing. Steam plays the same trick, it's annoying but hardly the end of the world.

Steam having monopoly is bad. But somewhere around 2010 or so, we stopped owning games and started "renting" them, despite paying more and more for a game.

[BBMM]
Players
938 posts
4,391 battles
1 minute ago, __Themistocles__ said:

Steam having monopoly is bad. But somewhere around 2010 or so, we stopped owning games and started "renting" them, despite paying more and more for a game.

Not sure what that has to do with the game centre but as far as I'm aware you've never owned a game, you've only ever purchased a licence for the software, which used to be delivered on physical media and is now downloaded, reducing costs for the publisher and preventing resale on the secondhand market (that the publisher gets no cut from).

Players
3,288 posts
15,196 battles

Wargaming continues to push users towards its "Game Center" toy. (Latest Patch Notes for Public Test 0.6.14 are urging users to do this)
That is overkill for me, Considering that I only play ONE online game.  (Which would be ZERO if I could break the addiction)

If Wargaming want to "unify" their games such as "World of Tank", "World of Warships", "World of War Planes" etc, let's see them unify gold & credits across those games first before messing about with poncy launchers. :Smile_smile:

• Cool 2

Weekend Tester
670 posts
7,021 battles

The old version of the game centre (was it "alpha" or "beta"?) was very buggy. In particular it could not recognise multiple clients - e.g. if you had WoWS_EU, WoWS_NA, WoWS_RU - and often could not install patches and updates correctly. The only way to get rid of the launcher back then was to uninstall all of the clients and re-install them.

The current game centre seems ok so far. I have two PCs, each with twelve WG clients (4x WoT, 3x WoWS, 1xSandbox, 1xPTS, MoO, 2xWoWP). On one PC I have the GC installed, on the other just the separate clients (except WoWP, which now cannot be installed stand-alone). The game centre install has recognised all of the clients, and seems to be managing them just fine.

Game centre is now worth having because it gives access to WoWP (!). WoWP is worth having because that game sometimes gets exceptional offers and promotions with gold and premium that can be used in WoT, or premium in WoWS....

• Cool 1