You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Ronnielox

HMS Hood crap

115 comments in this topic

[RED1]
Alpha Tester
26 posts
1,929 battles

I played the Hood for many games on a row now, and the biggest problem are the guns. I just had a game where I was broadside to a Budyonny, and I gave it 2 salvo's and the highest damage I did was 4800.. With AP. 

Why can i never hit the citadel, or even hit a ship with the Hood? The shells just dissapear and do no damage. I am so sick of this crap, if I do 40k damage in a game, it's much!

• Bad 1

Players
4,527 posts
8,218 battles

Taking into account, nearly all of your BB avg dmg is below server-avarage and that you damage with the T3 Nassau is nearly the same as T9 Missouri (concidered by many as OP) - the problems seems to be with you.

• Cool 16

Players
68 posts
3,631 battles

No, just no, the Hood is a fine ship and great at hunting cruisers. I'll agree that her guns can at times be a bit fickle and troll you but on the whole she's a beast and one of my favourite ships to play at tier 7, I would suggest playing co-op and getting used to her and her optimal range which I've found to be about 12-14km.

I would add she is fully capable of hitting ships at max range and indeed landing citadels on unsuspecting seals, this isn't always consistent but is do-able. I wouldn't give up on her yet just keep plugging away and you'll discover the majesty that is the Hood.

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
6,009 battles

As pointed out, you have 5k more avg dmg on NC, why are you not complainig about that one?

Its apparently a L2P issue, go watch some vids.

• Cool 1

[H_FAN]
Players
2,250 posts
31,293 battles

Citadels is RNG a lot even if you aim for the waterline, but try to get good salvos with lots of hits at mid range, do not overextend, Hood is very fast which is both good and bad.

Be aware of your surrondings so you fire at the best targets, You are not new but at least in the beginning of your career, so do not despair. 

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

84k average damage after 23 games with a 60% WR...

Hood is excellent but may need games in the Warspite to get you used to the guns. 

Use AP only, cruise at angles at medium range. Tank, flank and outlast the enemy. The guns might be slightly weak but they're consistent like the ship's armour.

The speed is very useful in chasing, running and changing flanks. It offers you flexibility when combined with the armour.

User error possibly.

• Cool 4

[MIMI]
Beta Tester
1,333 posts
1 hour ago, Ronnielox said:

I played the Hood for many games on a row now, and the biggest problem are the guns. I just had a game where I was broadside to a Budyonny, and I gave it 2 salvo's and the highest damage I did was 4800.. With AP. 

Why can i never hit the citadel, or even hit a ship with the Hood? The shells just dissapear and do no damage. I am so sick of this crap, if I do 40k damage in a game, it's much!

Ehh.. and you have been an Alpha Tester? Dude!

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,402 battles

It's because you have no clue how to play BBs.

Stop playing everything premium and then FreeXP-ing your way to tier 8.

The only "legit" t8 BB you have is NC. Total games on US BBs that come before her - 2. 1x Colorado and 1x NewMex.

*Edited

Edited by Nohe21
*This post has been edited by the moderation team due to disrespectful comments.
  • Cool 9

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,789 posts
6,428 battles
43 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

...[snip].....

No beating round the bush here at all ;)

• Cool 1

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

@wilkatis_LV

Maybe a little harsh as WG wants folk like OP to throw money at their games even if they fail. Besides if OP either doesn't want to or can't learn then they'll be farmed by those who know what they're doing. 

• Cool 3

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,790 posts
8,979 battles

Disregarding the fact that the OP *Edited

The guns on the Hood are pretty damn awful.

Edited by Nohe21
*This post has been edited by the moderation team due to non-constructive content.
  • Cool 1

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
On 11/3/2017 at 6:50 PM, Nechrom said:

Disregarding the fact that the OP *Edited

The guns on the Hood are pretty damn awful.

They're not awful, I'd class them as sub bar as they're low calibre for T7 and have penetration issues.

But Hood is meant to be a Cruiser hunter and the guns work wonders vs them, they're also pretty accurate only just worse than a Warspite's guns. Both behave very similar in my eyes other than Warspite's superior penetration. Their shell velocity and aiming lead are similar if not identical.

Hood's speed and armour are offset by weaker penetration and +1 to tier compared to Warspite. 

I do better in Hood than Warspite but that's partly due to buying her with well over a year's extra experience. 

Players
197 posts

The guns may be a bit troll sometimes, but I quite like the Hood. I find the Nelson a lot harder to play, especially when I try to change various speeds. The inertia just keeps the ship going in same direction, it takes ages to slow do and move in the opposite direction.

At least with the Hood you can cut around a bit more

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,790 posts
8,979 battles
1 hour ago, Negativvv said:

They're not awful, I'd class them as sub bar as they're low calibre for T7 and have penetration issues.

But Hood is meant to be a Cruiser hunter and the guns work wonders vs them, they're also pretty accurate only just worse than a Warspite's guns. Both behave very similar in my eyes other than Warspite's superior penetration. Their shell velocity and aiming lead are similar if not identical.

Hood's speed and armour are offset by weaker penetration and +1 to tier compared to Warspite. 

I do better in Hood than Warspite but that's partly due to buying her with well over a year's extra experience.

It's the combination of using the same guns that are barely okay for tier 6 and then them also having worse accuracy at one tier higher.

The other aspects of the Hood (speed and to a lesser extent armor) isn't good enough to compensate for having so bad guns.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
3 minutes ago, Nechrom said:

It's the combination of using the same guns that are barely okay for tier 6 and then them also having worse accuracy at one tier higher.

The other aspects of the Hood (speed and to a lesser extent armor) isn't good enough to compensate for having so bad guns.

Well Hood's weaker guns mean you can't always force the issue in terms of pure damage dealt to the other team, you have to outlast the enemy and be where the action is for as long as possible. Eventually the damage you do "should" catch up. 

Thing is Hood at T6 would be completely OP as almost nothing in the MM unless its T8 could do very much damage to her when played properly. 

I'm just a massive fan of fast BBs and their tactical flexibility. Kongo, Guilio Ceasar, Hood, Missouri are all awesome...

• Cool 2

[WCWVE]
Players
908 posts
14,692 battles

You have to remember tht HMS Hood is a battlecruiser and is supposed to rely mostly upon her speed for protection (according to Lord Fisher)

[SM0KE]
Players
3,412 posts
8,828 battles
On 11/3/2017 at 9:43 PM, pzkpfwv1d said:

You have to remember tht HMS Hood is a battlecruiser and is supposed to rely mostly upon her speed for protection (according to Lord Fisher)

Aye, that went well...!?

I'm still slightly surprised that Hood got built at all, considering what happened to Invincible et al (etc?) at Jutland...

That reminds me: apart from Hood, I haven't seen any British battlecruisers in the game - do we know if WG plans to introduce them at any point, or were there too few classes of them to make a tree branch?

Edit: a quick Google suggests there were enough classes, if WG were feeling frisky...

Beta Tester
449 posts
3,082 battles

Hood is crap.... lol

dont make me laugh. It’s not likely that the ships the problem here is it. 

Shes fast, actually fairly well armoured, has a high hit point pool, plane deleting rockets and 15 guns that most of the time are fairly accurate. 

U just have to watch out for dds as she’s not got many secs and is as long as a medium sized country 

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,790 posts
8,979 battles
5 hours ago, Negativvv said:

Well Hood's weaker guns mean you can't always force the issue in terms of pure damage dealt to the other team, you have to outlast the enemy and be where the action is for as long as possible. Eventually the damage you do "should" catch up. 

Thing is Hood at T6 would be completely OP as almost nothing in the MM unless its T8 could do very much damage to her when played properly. 

I'm just a massive fan of fast BBs and their tactical flexibility. Kongo, Guilio Ceasar, Hood, Missouri are all awesome...

I also love the fast battleships.

And I would be fine with the Hood's weaker guns if they just retained the sigma of Warspite/QE. They need something redeeming.

Weak guns are fine on the Scharnhorst because they are pretty accurate and has a high rate of fire.

Inaccurate guns are fine on the Dunkerque because of their great velocity, awesome penetration and front placement.

Players
306 posts
5,559 battles
4 hours ago, Verblonde said:

or were there too few classes of them to make a tree branch?

When has that stopped them in the past? :Smile-_tongue:

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
43 minutes ago, Nechrom said:

I also love the fast battleships.

And I would be fine with the Hood's weaker guns if they just retained the sigma of Warspite/QE. They need something redeeming.

Weak guns are fine on the Scharnhorst because they are pretty accurate and has a high rate of fire.

Inaccurate guns are fine on the Dunkerque because of their great velocity, awesome penetration and front placement.

I just don't find that about the Hood. I used to use Gneisi as a fast mid range BB but I found the Hood was far more effective as the guns were reliable, at least for me.

They really don't feel too far off the accuracy of Warspite's although the penetration is quite different. I just like how the ship is balanced for some reason, most CC reviews don't seem to like the Hood but it's one of my favourite Prem BBs. 

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
11,577 posts
16,702 battles
44 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

They really don't feel too far off the accuracy of Warspite's

Don't they have the same dispersion? If only the sigma value differs you'll probably never notice too much of a difference considering sigma is basically just how much your ship's pastor/chaplain/whatever prayed to RNGesus.

For reference:

Spoiler

Dispersion1.gif

Source: LWM's Hood review

http://shipcomrade.com/news/305/admiral-class-battlecruiser-.html

Players
214 posts
11,014 battles

Hood isn't crap. You're shooting a Budyonny; they're infamously thin-skinned at close range meaning overpens can and do happen. 

shot-17_10.28_22_00.26-0551.thumb.jpg.bf46218e59f7a442317e4c7a71b2b693.jpg

If I can turn out a result like this then there's definitely nothing wrong with Hood. Hood is one my favourite premium BBs now, I don't even regret buying her with the full Admiral package when she was first released. 

• Cool 3

Players
493 posts
3,667 battles
7 hours ago, shockinhockin said:

Hood is crap.... lol

dont make me laugh. It’s not likely that the ships the problem here is it. 

Shes fast, actually fairly well armoured, has a high hit point pool, plane deleting rockets and 15 guns that most of the time are fairly accurate. 

U just have to watch out for dds as she’s not got many secs and is as long as a medium sized country 

This. You can sometimes suprise a DD with an AP salvo because of the fuse time but ye she doesn't turn on a dime. Fantastic speed for putting fear into Cruisers though and just watch as they bounce shells why you do max damage or the odd citadel in her. Hell I've had some good fights kiting Tier 9 BBs and still doing some punishable damage. Use that speed, long and thin hull to dodge shells. Torps? Just don't go near small ships and you'll be fine.

• Cool 1