Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Jethro_Grey

Project Valor - save the old gurl

24 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[CAIN]
Players
2,732 posts
10,858 battles

Hi WG, in light of the recent announcement that servers will get somewhat (really? you left a backdoor open???) unified - which is great-ish - i have to wonder why you didn't take the chance to start right now with this:

 

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/dont-mess-with-uss/

 

I've heard rumors that there are people who like ships, WWI and WWII history nerds and wallet warriors who'd gladly jump in and support this endeavor in exchange for a pixel camo and flag. 

I'd certainly be more willing to spend 40 bucks on a ship i already have for a camo and a flag that i don't have than 35€ (!!! really?!?) on a camo pack with sci-fi camos.

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CAIN]
Players
2,732 posts
10,858 battles
20 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

 

8 minutes ago, SeeteufeI said:

Well... it's in "Game Guides" of course. :Smile_sceptic:

 

How couldn't you find that one, @Jethro_Grey:Smile-_tongue:

 

Seems to be the right place... :Smile-_tongue:

 

Even if i had known, i'd still had posted here, as it gets more exposure. 

 

Now, let's wait for @MrConway, @Sub_Octavian, and see what/if we get an reply.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,363 posts
5,845 battles
8 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

Even if i had known, i'd still had posted here, as it gets more exposure. 

 

I wouldnt have seen the other thread, f.e.

 

Gotta say one thing in general: its amazing how bad the americans take care of their living history. Ships are a very good example. Like the "Peking", which came back to Germany from New York this year, is a perfect example. Or the SS United States.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,348 posts
14,977 battles

Would be happy to as well (Though saving a EU ship would be better for me)  But god that camo is UGLY... But 100% goes to project    Well played  Wargaming NA.

 

@MrConway @Sub_Octavian

 

I would second this though Douse no harm to let us EU Bods support project within the game as well

 

On 11/3/2017 at 2:48 PM, ForlornSailor said:

 

I wouldnt have seen the other thread, f.e.

 

Gotta say one thing in general: its amazing how bad the americans take care of their living history. Ships are a very good example. Like the "Peking", which came back to Germany from New York this year, is a perfect example. Or the SS United States.

apposed to EU that do almost nothing in comparison...... take a look at how many Museum ships there are in USA and compare it to EU..

https://www.hazegray.org/navhist/preserve.htm

3 Aircraft carriers

7 battleships

3 Cruisers

11 DD and DD escorts

To name just larger Warships

 

Preserving ships is Hugely expensive more so if they are kept in the water like USS Texas

 

 

 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PMI]
Players
2,406 posts
5,626 battles
1 minute ago, T0byJug said:

apposed to EU that do almost nothing in comparison...... take a look at how many Museum ships there are in USA and compare it to EU..

https://www.hazegray.org/navhist/preserve.htm

3 Aircraft carriers

7 battleships

3 Cruisers

11 DD and DD escorts

To name just larger Warships

 

Preserving ships is Hugely expensive more so if they are kept in the water like USS Texas

 

Considering we dont live in a war society like the US does, kinda makes sense...

 

And why would WG let us get this? Its an US thing and if 100% goes to the ship, they get nothing. They want to keep face in US, but for us? Who is going to pay the translation to the other 75 languages?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,363 posts
5,845 battles

Many of those ships are in utterly bad condition, cuz they dont spend a dime on maintenance. Thus why we have this very thread, isnt it?

And btw - we have loads of stuff like this in Europa. Do you know how many sailingships build in 191x - 192x are still in active duty? "kept in the water" - the ships in the US can hardly move within the harbour without falling appart - read up on Peking.

There is plenty of warships in Europe aswell, floating and in better condition. The german Wiki has a nicer overview. Youll get the picture. https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_von_Museumsschiffen

 

16 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

take a look at how many Museum ships there are in USA and compare it to EU

 

Done. EU wins.

 

13 minutes ago, Juanx said:

Considering we dont live in a war society like the US does, kinda makes sense...

 

This also. Id rather visit different kind of shiptyps then the 5th CV or six Fletcher-Class-DDs. Although totaly my personal view - a sailing ship is much more beautiful then any warship from the 20ths century.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[WG-EU]
WG Staff
2,157 posts
2,248 battles
50 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

 

 

Seems to be the right place... :Smile-_tongue:

 

Even if i had known, i'd still had posted here, as it gets more exposure. 

 

Now, let's wait for @MrConway, @Sub_Octavian, and see what/if we get an reply.

 

Due to the large amount of feedback and interest we have already received on this matter from both you guys here and the Reddit community, we are currently looking into options to make this available to you too. :Smile_medal:

 

I cannot promise anything yet, but I'll let you know!

 

 

  • Cool 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-RT-]
Players
299 posts
18,896 battles

I will buy the Texas. Bring it on :)

 

Include some DMG controll modules and Premium DMG controll consumable to stop the flooding :).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,348 posts
14,977 battles
55 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

Many of those ships are in utterly bad condition, cuz they dont spend a dime on maintenance. Thus why we have this very thread, isnt it?

And btw - we have loads of stuff like this in Europa. Do you know how many sailingships build in 191x - 192x are still in active duty? "kept in the water" - the ships in the US can hardly move within the harbour without falling appart - read up on Peking.

There is plenty of warships in Europe aswell, floating and in better condition. The german Wiki has a nicer overview. Youll get the picture. https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_von_Museumsschiffen

 

 

Done. EU wins.

 

 

This also. Id rather visit different kind of shiptyps then the 5th CV or six Fletcher-Class-DDs. Although totaly my personal view - a sailing ship is much more beautiful then any warship from the 20ths century.

Small problem with your link... For just about all countries apart from USA it list museum ships including things like tugs and Light ships and Patrol boats .  For USA it only lists larger ships. It lists about 50 Museums in USA. Look at my link  USA has more than 140  museum vessels of war alone. God knows how many would be listed if we added Tugs and light ships and the like

 

UK is not complete as well. It douse not list HMS Caroline in Belfast it also missed HMS Cavalier.Hms Gannet and HMS Ocelot at Chatham  

EU has 2 Cruisers(HMS Belfast and  Georgios Averoff) and a number of DD and smaller Ship.  USA has as i stated 13 warships of Cruiser or larger the cost of maintaining these larger Vessels is just astronomical. This is the reason UK did not preserve HMS Warspite 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[WG-EU]
WG Staff
2,157 posts
2,248 battles

I am pleased to inform you that due to popular demand from both our Reddit and forum communities, we will be expanding the USS Texas offers, camouflage and flag for Project Valor to the EU server. The offers will be available from November 9th until December 1st, with 100% of the proceeds going directly to the preservation of the USS Texas.

 

Special shoutout to Lordofdroid for making this happen in such a short time!

  • Cool 18

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CAIN]
Players
2,732 posts
10,858 battles
Just now, MrConway said:

I am pleased to inform you that due to popular demand from both our Reddit and forum communities, we will be expanding the USS Texas offers, camouflage and flag for Project Valor to the EU server. The offers will be available from November 9th until December 1st, with 100% of the proceeds going directly to the preservation of the USS Texas.

 

Special shoutout to Lordofdroid for making this happen in such a short time!

 

YAY! Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,363 posts
5,845 battles
31 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

For just about all countries apart from USA it list museum ships including things like tugs and Light ships and Patrol boats . 

 

32 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

UK is not complete as well

 

It only lists german small ships since its... german wiki. You said it yourself, UK ships are missing aswell. The comparision stands.

 

32 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

EU has 2 Cruisers

 

Europe has more cruisers as museumships. There is Aurora, there is Kutuzov.

 

Also, I say it again: Dont forget about the active ships. I see them as much more important then some old rusty thing, that cant move. Concider visiting the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tall_Ships'_Races next year. They stop in many contries again, Denmark, Norway, UK, Netherlands & France. This is living maritim history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
545 posts
4,184 battles

And now let's do the same with solo flag's offering on US and all other region ( papa-papa, zulu hotel and zulu ) ..

 

thx WG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,348 posts
14,977 battles
1 hour ago, ForlornSailor said:

 

 

It only lists german small ships since its... german wiki. You said it yourself, UK ships are missing aswell. The comparision stands.

The ships i Listed are Submarines Destroyers and Cruisers not small ships and the comparison douse not stand EU douse not have 24 museum ships DD or Larger USA douse even if you include the 2 Russian ships you mentian

Europe has more cruisers as museumships. There is Aurora, there is Kutuzov.

Last time i checked Russia was not part of the EU  and i said EU, I was wrong though  HMS Carolina is a Cruiser so its 3 (silly mistake on my part)

Also, I say it again: Dont forget about the active ships. I see them as much more important then some old rusty thing, that cant move. Concider visiting the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tall_Ships'_Races next year. They stop in many contries again, Denmark, Norway, UK, Netherlands & France. This is living maritim history. Have been there. seen them in Gdynia Poland See bellow USA also has a large number Living History of tall ships

I was Responding to a comment that USA douse not look after its museum ships My comment was responding pointing out that per capita of population USA has many more Museums ships to mentain and they are larger  than those in the  EU. Its not easy.

 

I agree with what you are saying about Sail ships and Training Sail ships. All i am saying is it was wrong what the poster was saying.. USA douse a pretty good job at maintaining its Naval Heritage.

Also USA has many tall ships as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USCGC_Eagle_(WIX-327)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elissa_(ship)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falls_of_Clyde_(ship)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irving_Johnson_(ship)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Conrad_(ship)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Niagara_(1813)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_W._Morgan_(ship)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_C._Seamans_(ship)

And that is just after a short look..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
990 posts
3,372 battles
2 hours ago, Juanx said:

And why would WG let us get this? Its an US thing and if 100% goes to the ship, they get nothing.

 

Good PR is usually worth more than net income. It's an investment in the long run. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,363 posts
5,845 battles

@T0byJug well and I said Europe. Last time I checked, Russia is part of Europe. And you can not deny that fact, that many museumships in the US are in bad shape - else, explain this thread? Sure, some are in good condition also. But the public interested in Europe is much bigger then in the US, from what I can see. Germans f.e. are crazy about naval history, they donate a lot of money to keep them going. Often even to foreign ships. Russia keeps some nearly 100 year old sailships going - all I said, those are imho even more worth to keep alive. And there is simply no question, that ships like Kruzenshtern, Sedov or Statsraad Lehmkuhl are in better shape then the Texas or the Peking. Ill put a pic of Peking, just to show you her shape when she left New York - until the last day, she was a museumship. Now, you can take a look how other nations took care of her sisterships. That would be the Pommern in Finland, the Passat in Germany or the Kruzenshtern in Russia - which is still active. All im saying is - the americans could do better if they´d care. Nothing more, nothing less.

peking.jpg

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Players
1,990 posts
1 hour ago, ForlornSailor said:

@T0byJug well and I said Europe. Last time I checked, Russia is part of Europe. And you can not deny that fact, that many museumships in the US are in bad shape - else, explain this thread? Sure, some are in good condition also. But the public interested in Europe is much bigger then in the US, from what I can see. Germans f.e. are crazy about naval history, they donate a lot of money to keep them going. Often even to foreign ships. Russia keeps some nearly 100 year old sailships going - all I said, those are imho even more worth to keep alive. And there is simply no question, that ships like Kruzenshtern, Sedov or Statsraad Lehmkuhl are in better shape then the Texas or the Peking. Ill put a pic of Peking, just to show you her shape when she left New York - until the last day, she was a museumship. Now, you can take a look how other nations took care of her sisterships. That would be the Pommern in Finland, the Passat in Germany or the Kruzenshtern in Russia - which is still active. All im saying is - the americans could do better if they´d care. Nothing more, nothing less.

 

Well, to be honest, you said first 'Europe' and then 'EU', so he was referring to EU. He is also right, saying maintenance costs of museum ships US vs EU is not comparable... For starters they have 8 battleships and 5 aircraft carriers... (not sure why T0byJug mentioned 7 and 3) And no. And according to this list (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_museum_ships) there are more museum ships in US then in EU+RU combined.

 

As far as if US could do better? Well... If you compare GDPs of countries responsible for maintenance of those museum ships, you will see US also comes out... poorer. Oh and Americans do care. It is the reason why they have so many museum ships.

 

Just my 2 eurocents... :Smile_Default:

 

 

 

4 hours ago, T0byJug said:

EU has 2 Cruisers(HMS Belfast and  Georgios Averoff) (...)

 

What about Caroline?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,363 posts
5,845 battles

If u wanna nitpick, @Skyllon, then do it atleast properly. I didnt say EU first, he did. I said Europe. And by that logic we could also leave some states from the US out. Also, he tried to tell me, over he we do nothing for marine history, but let me quote:

 

5 hours ago, T0byJug said:

apposed to EU that do almost nothing in comparison

 

which is simple and plain totaly wrong. Aint my fault he didnt knew better.

 

2nd: Now you use an english wikipedia link. Which lists the tiniest boats in the US, some of them dont even exist anymore, but are still in the list...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
171 posts
2,613 battles

Glad to hear that we're going to be able to help a historic ship of world importance - the only WW1 dreadnought left. A pity the rest of the thread has descended into the usual trans-Atlantic [edited] measuring contest.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
601 posts

I think that this is Wargaming at its' best. Using sales of a premium ship to help pay for the preservation of the real life version of the ship.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×