Sign in to follow this  
Nostrake

Why the complaining about carriers?

13 comments in this topic

Question

Players
2 posts
119 battles

I see on alot of diffrent information sources that carriers are in a ‘bad spot’ and need a rework etc. I’ve played a few games with langley (almost enoigg xp for next tier) and I don’t really get what all the bitching is about... maybe I haven’t played enough or maybe you only notice it at higher tiers, what all the bitching is about?

12 answers to this question

Players
749 posts
9,066 battles

in brief ..

the ui is horribly laggy (as you get faster micromanaging your planes this gets horrible), they are also some show stopper bugs they have never fixed

the economy is pretty dependent on the damage we do (kinda minimizing the contribution to scouting and air superiority) BUT cvs nuking BBs causes complaint from the BB fraternity - especially the poor ones

US CVs at middle/higher tiers are crippled by poor load outs, IJN are so much better served by their setups

the recent mess of the graf zep premium shows that the devs are struggling to understand how the cv should play,

where one cv player is much better that the other it makes the game one sided - ie good v poor, poor v bad, superunicum v everyone

they fiddled with the UI a while back and made it worse

power creep of AA. used to be USN ships that had the great AA - now its everyone.

they removed ALT drops/straffes at T4/5 so removing the training ground for new captains and leaving them hideously unprepared for T6 and the ALT attacks. also made langley/bogue a misery for IJN at T4/5

the devs seem unwilling to take advice from the top cv players like farazelleth of omni and insist in fiddling around with flavours while cvs get fewer and fewer in game because the game experience is getting worse/more unpleasant. cvs were removed from clan wars because wg basically think they are so broken as to skew the game.

• Cool 1

Players
33 posts
On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 7:47 PM, ShuggieHamster said:

in brief ..

the ui is horribly laggy (as you get faster micromanaging your planes this gets horrible), they are also some show stopper bugs they have never fixed

the economy is pretty dependent on the damage we do (kinda minimizing the contribution to scouting and air superiority) BUT cvs nuking BBs causes complaint from the BB fraternity - especially the poor ones

US CVs at middle/higher tiers are crippled by poor load outs, IJN are so much better served by their setups

the recent mess of the graf zep premium shows that the devs are struggling to understand how the cv should play,

where one cv player is much better that the other it makes the game one sided - ie good v poor, poor v bad, superunicum v everyone

they fiddled with the UI a while back and made it worse

power creep of AA. used to be USN ships that had the great AA - now its everyone.

they removed ALT drops/straffes at T4/5 so removing the training ground for new captains and leaving them hideously unprepared for T6 and the ALT attacks. also made langley/bogue a misery for IJN at T4/5

the devs seem unwilling to take advice from the top cv players like farazelleth of omni and insist in fiddling around with flavours while cvs get fewer and fewer in game because the game experience is getting worse/more unpleasant. cvs were removed from clan wars because wg basically think they are so broken as to skew the game.

^^^^^ THIS

Beta Tester
835 posts
13,213 battles

You will notice everything once you get to higher tier where you will be forced to use manual controls, to see all the pleasent bugs and perfect plane controls, add a mixture of immense AA while your planes makes a nice loop just because you wanted to change the angle of attack on a maneuvering target, loose all your planes in the process. Tho, since you picked US, your planes are the most resiliant of them all and loosing planes will be less drastic than if youd pick paper IJN.

Players
1,288 posts
7,508 battles

Most of the complains comes from seals which were clubbed by a somewhat decent carrier captain.

Altought yeah... There are several bugs which haven't been fixed since 7 to 10 versions ago.
For instance, one with the automatic drops, the torpedo planes wouldn't drop the torpedoes on the angle one gives them to do it. Today I got this bug. I have recorded it 6 months ago but it have been happening since more than one year. I have reported it several times but nobody does a -shut- to fix ti.

[HEROZ]
Players
764 posts
6,759 battles

Problem is that CVs are hard to master but rewarding to do so.

Look at stats (warships.today) for best players. Top players are usually carrier heavy. Best one on EU has 90% win rate. 90%. Can You imagine that? K/D about 19... It would be easier to just get back to port when You see him on enemy team. Carriers can have massive impact on game when played correctly. Thats why they have been banned from CW. They are extremely unbalanced, situational, and unlike other classes, you use your keyboard like those korean guys on starcraft tournaments, what makes them not for everyone.

Players
749 posts
9,066 battles
On 11/3/2017 at 5:43 PM, Nostrake said:

Well,

thank you for enlightning me... dunno if I should be enthousiast or not...

honestly ... cv play is very different to normal boats but a worth while ojne I feel.

I played it originally because I wanted to understand the strengths and weaknesses of the buggers who were sinking me all the time when I was investigating BBs (which I took up to understand cause they were sinking my CLs)

Its a change of pace, a different way of looking at the game. Manual drops/Strafes, the micromanagement of your planes, map awareness are all important and not easy to bring together ... but I like the challenge.

BBs are easy mode - big guns/strong armour, DDs fast and furious, CLs stressfull but CVs takes commitment and a lot of practice (in coop til you get the hang of things)

worth at least dipping your toe in for a while - you might end up liking it. I did.

I'd say try working through the langley at T4 ... its probably the easiest introduction. IJN Hosho is a little harder (and currently the IJN have the better ships/setups at higher levels)

also watch some cv game play on twitch/youtube - farazelleth of omni (Fara) is really good and goes into huge detail

• Cool 1

[AKI]
Players
80 posts
16,626 battles

Also, if you get your first tier 6 cv, be prepaired to be put in a full tier 8 match (keep some free exp to unlock better planes) :)

Players
749 posts
9,066 battles
2 minutes ago, keya_kin said:

Also, if you get your first tier 6 cv, be prepaired to be put in a full tier 8 match (keep some free exp to unlock better planes) :)

god. I remember my first uptier at T6 to T8. I got a good luck from several T8 ships on both sides ... a 3/4 dead Bismarck mowed my planes out the air and the other t6 Cv (on the red team) was swearing at the MM!

still .... blew an Alabama out the water on the next game when I knew better.

Players
1,288 posts
7,508 battles

Tier 6 carriers can still be efective on tier 8 battles.

shot-17_04.09_20_39.09-0284.thumb.jpg.c95707e1f02c360310657753e1f19b96.jpg

Btw, we lost this battle. And only because that Atlanta went after me and I couldn't stop him (and nobody of my team helped me). Despite being on the loser side I got more xp than the first one on the winning side.

• Cool 1

Players
749 posts
9,066 battles

you did well so many :cap_cool:but the atlanta got few plane kills and the red cv sucked. cant always rely on the red team being of the Solanaceae family especially at T7/8.

[HEROZ]
Players
764 posts
6,759 battles
On 6.11.2017 at 7:55 PM, Sargento_YO said:

Tier 6 carriers can still be efective on tier 8 battles.

shot-17_04.09_20_39.09-0284.thumb.jpg.c95707e1f02c360310657753e1f19b96.jpg

Btw, we lost this battle. And only because that Atlanta went after me and I couldn't stop him (and nobody of my team helped me). Despite being on the loser side I got more xp than the first one on the winning side.

Cute. Although seeing as You probably got most of XP by killing other guys planes, makes me think that other guy had an anchor for a brain. Thats one in 100 game. Other 99 are just suffering.

Sign in to follow this