You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
domen3

Nelson or Missouri?

8 comments in this topic

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,304 posts
6,195 battles

Howdy,

I have just a question that I need some help with: I'm nearing the 375K free XP mark to get the nelson. I've been watching some videos about it and I think I'm going to like it, + it's a unique ship, but I can't decide if I should save my free xp till I gather enough for a missouri. I know that missouri is a better ship, especially with the moneymaking potential but I already have the iowa which is the same class so it's not really unique.

Do you think missouri is still a better choice despite not being all that different from the iowa and being twice as expensive as the nelson? Or should I just get the nelson for its uniqueness?

[T-N-T]
Players
1,953 posts
9,426 battles

I was facing the same dilemma when the Nelson was released. I even had over 450k FreeXP at that point I believe. But I eventually settled on the Missouri.

While I don't intend to grind the US BB line (contrary to the British - where the premium Nelson would thus be very welcome for training captains), putting to use the special signals I got during the second anniversary ("Ouroboros" mainly) gave me quite a boost on my way to Missouri. So the double price is becoming a much smaller problem.

Also, presumably, Missouri is unrivalled in its credit making potential - and I always starve for credits. I have a hard time imagining the Nelson as such a moneymaker, after all it's only a tier higher than some premium ships I have and those haven't blown me away with the credits they make.

And lastly I believe the Missouri to suit my playstyle much better with its high speed and clear distinction of being reasonably tanky when angled and not tanky at all when broadside. The Nelson is far from a fast modern battleship and while it has many advantages, it suffers from overmatchable bow at Tier 7 and extremely vulnerable sides. I've seen many people not liking it at all, actually. And I wouldn't want to take that risk and sink that many FreeXP into a ship I may struggle to use, particularly now that I need credits.

So yeah, obviously my choice may turn up to be very unfortunate if somehow I won't gel with Missouri (never played Iowa or even North Carolina to make any reasonable closer comparisons), but I find the chance of not liking the Nelson far higher at this point (one of only two similar ships to it in the game, the Izumo, I hated).

See what you expect from your purchase and which ship is more likely to give it to you, assuming you can actually grind the steeper price for Missouri in a reasonable time frame (if not, obviously go for what you can afford).

Supertester, Players
144 posts
10,276 battles

Nelson is a good ship, but it's a bit confusing. It wants to be "Dunquirked" (nose in tanking), but there is 1 big problem with this - it has 25mm bow armour. That means you will get overmatched by every ship with calibre more than 358mm. Also, it's not that fun when you get focused by cv. Missouri is a better all-around: good vs CVs, can hunt DDs and when you see some cruiser :Smile_izmena:... yeah, prepare to get reported after the battle. T9 is a more passive in current meta and not fun as T7 but I'd still go with Missouri if I had to choose between them. 

I hope it helps :Smile_Default:

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,131 posts
11,675 battles

If you can only afford one get Missouri but read the below first!

She's arguably one of the best BBs in the game BUT as others have said the top tier meta is a bit "slow". Don't get her until you're experienced at higher tier USN BBs, NC and above. 

Missouri is fast, well armoured when angled, has punch guns, good concealment and RADAR which is a very powerful tool if you know when to use it.

Nelson is easier to play however both due to the tier and her general handling characteristics. 

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,304 posts
6,195 battles

Thank you all for the answers....

8 hours ago, Negativvv said:

If you can only afford one get Missouri but read the below first!

She's arguably one of the best BBs in the game BUT as others have said the top tier meta is a bit "slow". Don't get her until you're experienced at higher tier USN BBs, NC and above. 

Missouri is fast, well armoured when angled, has punch guns, good concealment and RADAR which is a very powerful tool if you know when to use it.

Yes, like I said I've already gotten up to the montana so I know that I like Iowa (and should like missouri aswell)....I just wondered if Missouri was worth grinding to twice the price.

Guess I'm going for the missouri then

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,131 posts
11,675 battles
4 minutes ago, domen3 said:

Thank you all for the answers....

Yes, like I said I've already gotten up to the montana so I know that I like Iowa (and should like missouri aswell)....I just wondered if Missouri was worth grinding to twice the price.

Guess I'm going for the missouri then

Missouri is literally p2w, I don't believe any aspect of her performance is worse than the Iowa. Unless you count having no float plane. Also I think the AA is configured differently but still just as strong. Has marginally stronger front armour I think but nothing that will make any difference.

[BYOB]
Players
3,081 posts
11,094 battles

While I bought the Nelson with fXP, the Missouri is worth getting just for the Steven Seagal easter egg.