You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
darkstar73

New US Cruiser line :)

322 comments in this topic

[LEGIO]
Players
604 posts
8,634 battles
[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,491 posts
6,795 battles
Just now, darkstar73 said:

Am sooo sorry for the double post

np, it happens

[EXNOM]
Players
557 posts
4,992 battles

Tier 6 is maybe a Brooklyn Class https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooklyn-class_cruiser

Tier 7 is maybe a St Louis class https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Louis-class_cruiser_(1938)

Tier 8 is the already known Cleveland but probably buffed to fit in tier 8

Tier 9 is maybe the Fargo class https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fargo-class_cruiser

Tier 10 appears to be a Worcester class https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worcester-class_cruiser

[OLDG]
Players
309 posts
6,587 battles

I'll be shameless enough to repost my own reddit comment here too. =)

So the current proposed tree is as follows:

Unified line

Heavy line

Light line

• Tier VI - Dallas class (possibly an upgraded Omaha design - not built)
  • Tier VII - St. Louis class (renamed after USS Helena to avoid confusion with Tier III)
  • Tier VIII - Cleveland class
  • Tier IX - Seattle class (probably a preliminary Worcester design - not built)
  • Tier X - Worcester class

At four paper designs out of a total of 15 ships, I'd say it's not too bad.

There are also some notable issues that WG have had to deal with:

• Armament/caliber consistency

If I remember correctly Wargaming have earlier indicated that they'd like to avoid jumping back and forth between calibers. That's the whole point of the split - making the progression more consistent gun performance-wise. That means all the various 5-inch AA cruiser designs are reserved for premiums and/or a separate line. In other words, the Atlanta, Oakland and Juneau classes are all out.

• Design gaps

There is an obvious gap in the timeline of USN shipbuilding caused by WWI which needs to be dealt with. At the outbreak of war, the most modern cruisers in the USN were the Chesters and the St. Louises - both classes built early in the century. During the war, new construction focused almost exclusively on destroyers (of which a huge number were built), thus leaving it until well into the inter-war era before Omahas were completed. Nerfed Omaha's could possibly be made to work at tier IV (although they are already pretty good for tier V), but that would just be moving the problem along by one step. That means there is a twentyish year gap in design philosophy and capability to fill, thus the addition of a preliminary design at tier IV.

Likewise the decision to split the US line into heavy and light parts means that is an even longer gap between the early 1920s 6-inch Omaha and the late 30s 6-inch Brooklyn/Helena (and a massivejump in capability to boot, going from an 8 gun to a 15 gun broadside). Given that the Omaha already sits very nicely at tier V, and the Helena is already looks very strong at tier VII, there is a need to come up with a new 6-inch gun design at tier VI.

• Minor upgrades

A number of designs being built during or shortly after WWII were really only relatively minor upgrades to existing designs. This was a compromise solution borne out by the need to adapt to lessons learnt (chiefly the need for more/better AA) while also economising on shipbuilding facilities. Designing, testing and adapting to the construction of a completely new hull/layout would inevitably lead to delays. Thus the best solution often appeared to be to make small changes to ship classes that were already in production. Thus many ships were very similar to each other, although ostensibly of different classes. This means that Wargaming would have to be fairly creative in terms of artificial buffs/nerfs in order to put ships of the Baltimore/Oregon City, Cleveland/Fargo and Brooklyn/St. Louis (Helena) in the same lines. It could be done, but it might be just as fun to use an unbuilt design to produce something truly different instead.

Likewise there isn't really too much difference between the four new heavy cruiser classes built between 1929 and 1933. Given the desire to move the Pensacola down one notch, Wargaming would have to be a bit creative to make the Northampton or Portland stand out between the Pensa and the New Orleans below and above. Thus keeping the Pensa and New Orleans together, while dropping the Balti down to make room for a new tier IX does not feel very out of place.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

Buffalo finally being added and Cleveland taking her rightful place...

Shame I'm still at Pepsi but if I start grinding now I might get a load of freebies like when the RU DD line split!

If there's a tree proposal like that then they're possibly after Pan Asian DDs.

[GOON]
Alpha Tester
349 posts
6,468 battles

Finally the St. Louis class, this is the class that I was always looking forward to when thinking about US cruisers. The St. Louis class is an improved Brooklyn class and packs the same 5x3 gun layout. 

[EXNOM]
Players
557 posts
4,992 battles
1 minute ago, Panzerblitz said:

Finally the St. Louis class, this is the class that I was always looking forward to when thinking about US cruisers. The St. Louis class is an improved Brooklyn class and packs the same 5x3 gun layout. 

If both the tier 6 and 7 get 15x 6" guns in 5 triple turrets expect their RoF to be slow. Otherwise they will be very very nasty.

[BLITZ]
Players
2,779 posts
10,269 battles
8 minutes ago, Spuggy said:

Tier 8 is the already known Cleveland but probably buffed unnerfed to fit in tier 8

:cap_rambo:

• Cool 8

[SCRUB]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
3,327 posts
3,693 battles
1 minute ago, SeeteufeI said:

I was actually about to write the same.

• Cool 1

[EXNOM]
Players
557 posts
4,992 battles
Just now, SeeteufeI said:

Yeah, better put shipmate.

Just reading the wiki on the Brooklyn class which might slot into the tier 6 spot.

The Brooklyn Class was equipped with 15 6"/47 Mark 16 naval guns developed from the 6"/53 Mark 8 used on the Omaha Class cruiser. The decision was reached as the gun could achieve up to ten rounds per minute rate of fire. This gave the class the ability to send up to one hundred and fifty rounds a minute at its intended target. This allowed the cruiser to smother an enemy ship with fire.

Terrifying! Maybe it will have hideous accuracy instead of low RoF.

• Cool 1

[GOON]
Alpha Tester
349 posts
6,468 battles

I wonder if the ballistics of the 6"/47 guns will be changed to give them a better edge in high tier gameplay.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

Interestingly this will make Indianapolis a unique ship at T7 and might make her a consideration now since Pepsi slips into a different tier...

[OLDG]
Players
309 posts
6,587 battles
13 minutes ago, Spuggy said:

Just reading the wiki on the Brooklyn class which might slot into the tier 6 spot.

[...]
Terrifying! Maybe it will have hideous accuracy instead of low RoF.

I'd be *very* surprised if the tier VI Dallas turns out to be a Brooklyn class ship.
Firstly, why not call it "Brooklyn" then? And secondly, as I wrote above it makes much more sense for them to go with some kind of upgraded Omaha/mid interwar paper design.

[N0RSE]
Players
1,735 posts
4 minutes ago, SHDRKN4792 said:

I hope Cleveland gets better shell arcs.

I don't. That is one of the biggest strenghts of the Cleveland. Daka daka from behind islands. You just have to gitgud with the shell arcs and have fun :)

• Cool 2

Players
2,552 posts
15,503 battles

Yep, Cleveland has perfect arcs for island camping and the AP actually overtakes Minotaur/Neptune shells past 10km. Awesome guns. They can literally put Cleveland at tier 8 without any buffs and it would still be a high pick for ranked. A 6s reload would be... fun.

Helena, Cleveland, Seattle and Worcester all have the same arcs.

KM, French and Russian lines are balanced as snipe at max range cruisers.

• Cool 1

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
1,911 posts
21,060 battles
25 minutes ago, Spuggy said:

If both the tier 6 and 7 get 15x 6" guns in 5 triple turrets expect their RoF to be slow. Otherwise they will be very very nasty.

They are not. T6 Dallas is not a Brooklyn class cruiser. It's probably variation of Omaha with 4x2 152mm setup.

[EXNOM]
Players
557 posts
4,992 battles
11 minutes ago, Verence196 said:

I'd be *very* surprised if the tier VI Dallas turns out to be a Brooklyn class ship.
Firstly, why not call it "Brooklyn" then? And secondly, as I wrote above it makes much more sense for them to go with some kind of upgraded Omaha/mid interwar paper design.

You're probably right.

From the Omaha class wiki page:

Omaha alternatives

The U.S. Navy was not entirely pleased with the Omaha class, so a new design was drawn up that was derived from it.[citation needed] This new class replaced the 6-inch guns with four turrets (2 forward, 2 aft) each with two 6-inch guns.

[JUNK]
[JUNK]
Beta Tester
1,929 posts
7,969 battles
Just now, Tyrendian89 said:

hello Leander... anyone wanna bet whether this new CL line might get smoke too? :cap_fainting:

I really hope they dont, I really want a light cruiser line that is normal... at this point RN CLs are nothing like other light cruisers in the game. Having a CL line that is in line with other CLs will be nice for once.