Turion1979

US Cruiser Line announced to split up "soon tm"

120 comments in this topic

[GUNUP]
Weekend Tester
568 posts
30,788 battles

There we go,since this Idea was already announced in the Closed Beta Testing or even more further, now it comes up with splitting up the US Cruiser Lines into CL "Cruiser Light" and CA "Cruiser Armoured"

well played... guess we find more Information soon about it.

image.jpg

• Cool 3

[UNICS]
Players
1,276 posts
17,481 battles

nice but we need alaska class with awesome reallife camo

• Cool 1

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,491 posts
6,795 battles

Sweet....I always knew Cleveland was Tier 8 material and I've missed seeing the buffalo in the game once again. What's with seattle though? Is it an imaginary ship? I can't find any info on it

[OLDG]
Players
309 posts
6,587 battles

I'll be shameless enough to repost my own reddit comment here too. =)

So the current proposed tree is as follows:

Unified line

Heavy line

Light line

• Tier VI - Dallas class (possibly an upgraded Omaha design - not built)
  • Tier VII - St. Louis class (renamed after USS Helena to avoid confusion with Tier III)
  • Tier VIII - Cleveland class
  • Tier IX - Seattle class (probably a preliminary Worcester design - not built)
  • Tier X - Worcester class

At four paper designs out of a total of 15 ships, I'd say it's not too bad.

There are also some notable issues that WG have had to deal with:

• Armament/caliber consistency

If I remember correctly Wargaming have earlier indicated that they'd like to avoid jumping back and forth between calibers. That's the whole point of the split - making the progression more consistent gun performance-wise. That means all the various 5-inch AA cruiser designs are reserved for premiums and/or a separate line. In other words, the Atlanta, Oakland and Juneau classes are all out.

• Design gaps

There is an obvious gap in the timeline of USN shipbuilding caused by WWI which needs to be dealt with. At the outbreak of war, the most modern cruisers in the USN were the Chesters and the St. Louises - both classes built early in the century. During the war, new construction focused almost exclusively on destroyers (of which a huge number were built), thus leaving it until well into the inter-war era before Omahas were completed. Nerfed Omaha's could possibly be made to work at tier IV (although they are already pretty good for tier V), but that would just be moving the problem along by one step. That means there is a twentyish year gap in design philosophy and capability to fill, thus the addition of a preliminary design at tier IV.

Likewise the decision to split the US line into heavy and light parts means that is an even longer gap between the early 1920s 6-inch Omaha and the late 30s 6-inch Brooklyn/Helena (and a massivejump in capability to boot, going from an 8 gun to a 15 gun broadside). Given that the Omaha already sits very nicely at tier V, and the Helena is already looks very strong at tier VII, there is a need to come up with a new 6-inch gun design at tier VI.

• Minor upgrades

A number of designs being built during or shortly after WWII were really only relatively minor upgrades to existing designs. This was a compromise solution borne out by the need to adapt to lessons learnt (chiefly the need for more/better AA) while also economising on shipbuilding facilities. Designing, testing and adapting to the construction of a completely new hull/layout would inevitably lead to delays. Thus the best solution often appeared to be to make small changes to ship classes that were already in production. Thus many ships were very similar to each other, although ostensibly of different classes. This means that Wargaming would have to be fairly creative in terms of artificial buffs/nerfs in order to put ships of the Baltimore/Oregon City, Cleveland/Fargo and Brooklyn/St. Louis (Helena) in the same lines. It could be done, but it might be just as fun to use an unbuilt design to produce something truly different instead.

Likewise there isn't really too much difference between the four new heavy cruiser classes built between 1929 and 1933. Given the desire to move the Pensacola down one notch, Wargaming would have to be a bit creative to make the Northampton or Portland stand out between the Pensa and the New Orleans below and above. Thus keeping the Pensa and New Orleans together, while dropping the Balti down to make room for a new tier IX does not feel very out of place.

• Cool 7

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,870 posts
10,125 battles

Pensacola with its very heavy 8" broadside at tier 6 is one of the most incomprehensible moves WG has done in a while.

It's counterbalanced by the fact that the Cleveland is finally going to its rightful tier, but damn, 10 USN 8" guns at tier6...

Players
763 posts
4,130 battles
53 minutes ago, Constantijn2 said:

love it. finally clevland gets what it deserves

too bad the commander (me) sucks with her.....

I have another tier 8 huh..... well Shiet.

Players
2,552 posts
15,503 battles
18 minutes ago, Exocet6951 said:

Pensacola with its very heavy 8" broadside at tier 6 is one of the most incomprehensible moves WG has done in a while.

Pepsi broadside weight = 1,180 kg (4,720 kg per min)

Graf Spee broadside weight = 1,800 kg (5,400 kg per min)

It'll be great having another powerful CA that doesn't rely on a crazy reload buff :cap_like:

• Cool 3

[JUNK]
[JUNK]
Beta Tester
1,929 posts
7,969 battles
6 minutes ago, creamgravy said:

It'll be great having another powerful CA that doesn't rely on a crazy reload buff :cap_like:

Yeah they will most likely revert the concealment buff and give it higher citadel as afaik right now the citadel is lower than it used to. I think itll be balanced at tier 6 with small touches on soft stats

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,870 posts
10,125 battles
54 minutes ago, creamgravy said:

GS is a very specific case though. It has poor accuracy, poor reload and doesn't have that USN ricochet angles, all while having 10 guns available at a very favorable angle.

There is literally nothing that can be gain from having it being tier6.
It'll still be fragile against higher tier BBs and CAs, it'll still be fragile against 5" and 6" guns on lower tiers, and it'll still be facing the same opponents, minus the occasional tier9s (a problem common to all tier7 CAs)

Either they'll axe nerf it in order to prevent it from crushing everything with its guns, or it'll overperform while still being glassy, therefore complained about by people who don't understand how to play it.
Lose lose scenario.

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
11,549 posts
16,699 battles

Pensa at T6.

If T6 MM were decent she'd be a monster.

I mean it was bound to happen since they've already done so in WoWs Blitz, but still.

Helena at T7 is probably going to be a source of BB tears if they haven't restricted her range too heavily. :Smile_trollface:

Also wondering if they've made any changes to the Buffalo. Preliminary stats (which are very old) can still be found here:

http://shipcomrade.com/ships/buffalo

[JUNK]
[JUNK]
Beta Tester
1,929 posts
7,969 battles
4 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Pensa at T6.

If T6 MM were decent she'd be a monster.

I mean it was bound to happen since they've already done so in WoWs Blitz, but still.

Helena at T7 is probably going to be a source of BB tears if they haven't restricted her range too heavily. :Smile_trollface:

Also wondering if they've made any changes to the Buffalo. Preliminary stats (which are very old) can still be found here:

http://shipcomrade.com/ships/buffalo

The only thing I expect to be different is that they buff the reload to 12 seconds instead of 15 seconds. That puts the total output a little higher than the current Baltimore, but in a worse turret layout. I really find the rest of the ship to be exactly how it should be to fit tier 9.

The torps might change though... Although idk how risky WG will be with them considering they prolly want to keep them short ranged. Maybe the 4.5 km torps we can find on Sims/Atlanta

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
11,549 posts
16,699 battles
7 minutes ago, Affeks said:

I really find the rest of the ship to be exactly how it should be to fit tier 9.

Except, you know, the friggin' hangar capacity of 3+62 planes.

CAV confirmed. :Smile_trollface:

(Just noticed lol. Yeah, I know, it's probably an error made by whoever put in those values.)

[JUNK]
[JUNK]
Beta Tester
1,929 posts
7,969 battles
2 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Except, you know, the friggin' hangar capacity of 3+62 planes.

CAV confirmed. :Smile_trollface:

(Just noticed lol. Yeah, I know, it's probably an error made by whoever put in those values.)

I think its an error since Buffalo was converted to a CV? So thats maybe the hangar if it would be a CV.. idk

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,744 posts
7,207 battles
1 hour ago, Saranpaa said:

When is the Split happening?

Well, Pan-Asia DD are coming very soon, then next are French Battleship around the end of the year or January, so the USN cruiser split should come around February I guess.

After that... French DD or maybe first italian tech tree I guess.

• Cool 1

[JUNK]
[JUNK]
Beta Tester
1,929 posts
7,969 battles
4 minutes ago, ShinGetsu said:

Well, Pan-Asia DD are coming very soon, then next are French Battleship around the end of the year or January, so the USN cruiser split should come around February I guess.

After that... French DD or maybe first italian tech tree I guess.

I think Cruiser split happens before french BBs maybe. BBs usually takes long to make and most of these cruisers are already in game, at least half way. Afaik Worcester was ingame during Alpha as well.

• Cool 1

[HAIFU]
Players
512 posts
4,739 battles
2 hours ago, creamgravy said:

With the accuracy t has at the moment, any DD that gets too close will be wrecked, any cruiser showing broadside will get about 75% of the health removed in one salvo and even BB'swould retreat if they saw two platooned Pepsicolas. Perhaps the raised citadel, an AA nerf, and some concealment changes will be enough. Interesting to see how this develops... :Smile_popcorn:

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
11,549 posts
16,699 battles
1 hour ago, Centurion_1711 said:

an AA nerf

I highly doubt an AA nerf is even necessary. Her AA is awful.

I don't think anything was ever done to Pensa in regards to her citadel? I think her armor was buffed very slightly once to reflect historical accuracy but that's it.

[WGP2W]
Players
748 posts
15,000 battles

This is great news!

I do share the concern of some others here though: Pensacola's guns are fearsome even on T7, they will be extremely strong on T6.

Worchester will be an Atlanta on stereoids... that AA will be absolutely monstrous!! :cap_rambo::cap_rambo::cap_rambo::cap_tea::cap_haloween::cap_rambo::cap_rambo::cap_rambo:

Players
577 posts
9,861 battles
1 hour ago, Centurion_1711 said:

With the accuracy t has at the moment, any DD that gets too close will be wrecked, any cruiser showing broadside will get about 75% of the health removed in one salvo and even BB'swould retreat if they saw two platooned Pepsicolas. Perhaps the raised citadel, an AA nerf, and some concealment changes will be enough. Interesting to see how this develops... :Smile_popcorn:

It is possible to 1 shot cruisers in the Pensacola, you can easily delete T5 cruisers in 1 salvo with it (Note: I played it before the buffs). So they will have to nerf something about the guns.