Sergeant_Antaro_Chronus

Battle ship question

9 comments in this topic

Question

Beta Tester
1 post
305 battles

Hi there,

I'm playing after a very long time the game again. This time though I have a serious question on how to aim the battleship's main guns.

Okay, so I'm grinding the American Wyoming. First shot is the ranging one, to see if I've guessed the range. If both shells or one lands on the enemy ship then I can fire all guns because more or less they will hit the target, right? What bugs me is that the second volley whether I fire all guns at the same time or one at time the shots scatter around the enemy ship...I've tried to fire when doing 1/2 or 1/4 and when in max range, mid or point blank and always took into account the movement of the enemy and the captain has 4 skills. If the ranging shot lands then every other shot will miss...Is there a trick to fire the main guns

8 answers to this question

Beta Tester
656 posts
4,502 battles
9 minutes ago, Sergeant_Antaro_Chronus said:

Hi there,

I'm playing after a very long time the game again. This time though I have a serious question on how to aim the battleship's main guns.

Okay, so I'm grinding the American Wyoming. First shot is the ranging one, to see if I've guessed the range. If both shells or one lands on the enemy ship then I can fire all guns because more or less they will hit the target, right? What bugs me is that the second volley whether I fire all guns at the same time or one at time the shots scatter around the enemy ship...I've tried to fire when doing 1/2 or 1/4 and when in max range, mid or point blank and always took into account the movement of the enemy and the captain has 4 skills. If the ranging shot lands then every other shot will miss...Is there a trick to fire the main guns

Welcome back!

So, the 'ranging shots' that you are using atm. are not really needed. Atleast, not for the range: In WoWS (unlike for example naval action), you aim at a certain point, and the guns will elevate themselves to hit said point automatically. The real trick is leading your target. This can either be done by using the ranging lines on your scope, or by simply adjusting your aim until it becomes second nature. This video explains how to use the rangefinder (or should I say lead finder)

Now, once user-error is out of the equation, we come to RNG mechanics. The good old 'luck factor'. Simplified, any time you fire your guns, there is a formula serverside that calculates a chance for the shell to hit a certain point within your maximum dispersion value.

So, say your battleship guns have a dispersion value of 100m at 10km: Your shells could all land 100m away from the target, or they could all hit the exact point where you were aiming, depending on your luck. :Smile_coin:

Now, this is also WGs way of balancing. You might have noted that BBs have this quircky tendency to delete broadside cruisers? Well, if that was consistent, everyone would only play BBs ofcourse. So WG used this dispersion mechanic to make BBs balanc- (owh wait, sorry, to be quite frank with you, BBs have been overperforming for quite some time now, but, that's offtopic in this case :Smile_hiding:)

To sum it up:

• Make sure you are leading your shots, do not worry about range, as the shells will take the range you are firing at
  • Pray to RNGesus that Serb smiled upon your soul and your shells will all fly into some poor CLs citadel
  • Focus on targets that are sailing broadside on as they are easy shots for your BB
  • Play a different class besides the least accurate one in the game (or so they say)
  • Cool 2

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,426 battles

As gekke said, shells scatter around because of your ships accuracy. That will happen. Usually at least a few shells do hit tho, and as you get closer you get more accurate (but still every now and then there will be the moment when RNG hates you and you will miss every singe shell at 5km)

As for aiming: Make sure your "alternative interface" is active in options, or you will have to hold "alt". Next to your crosshair you'll see numbers popping up -> as an example lets say it says 7.33s - that's the shell flight time to a target. And feel free to more or less ignore those numbers behind coma, at least the last one - I'd take 7 as anything between 6.7 and 7.6

Spoiler

WoWS-Alt.jpg

Next point is to know what kind of crosshair are you using? There are 2 main types - Static and Dynamic (you can choose between them in the options).

• Static is set for 20kts at full zoom, and has multiple variations of how it looks for you to choose from (for example with extra lines and stuff like that)
  • Dynamic is set for 30kts at any zoom, but has just that 1 look

Static is default, if you haven't changed anything that's what you have.

Note the difference of "max zoom" and "any zoom" - not really a problem as you use max zoom all the time anyway, and at close enough range to zoom out more it doesn't matter anymore.

Those seconds I mentioned before - that's your lead to the ship you're aiming at. Your aim point is the ships bow, usually (but not always) at waterline.

Each second is 1 step on your crosshairs ruler at the fitting speed.

The base speed you can assume for ships is as follows: 20kts for battleship, 30kts for cruiser, 40kts for destroyer. More precise knowledge ship-to-ship will come with experience - as you play the game you'll just develop a "feel" for it.

Now, remember those 7 seconds I said? Let's work out what lead ships would need:

Static (20kts)

• BB -> 20kts assumed speed -> 20/20 = 1 -> that same 7 is your lead
  • CL/CA -> 30kts assumed speed -> 30/20 = 1.5 -> 7*1.5 = 12 is your lead
  • DD -> 40kts assumed speed -> 40/20= 2 -> 7*2 = 14 is your lead (altho with DDs that sometimes is not enough and you would have to lead a bit more than that, up to 3x the time)

Dynamic (30kts)

• BB -> 20kts assumed speed -> 20/30 = 0.67 -> 7*0.7 = 5 is your lead
  • CL/CA -> 30kts assumed speed -> 30/30 = 1 -> that same 7 is your lead
  • DD -> 40kts assumed speed -> 40/30 = 1.33 -> 7*1.3 = 9 is your lead (altho I'd guess same is true on this crosshair that you would often need more lead)

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions - just ask. And the accuracy will come with time, but initially just knowing this eliminates the need for a raging shot :cap_like:

Oh, almost forgot - these are for a broadside target, someone ore or less flat to you. If the ship is angled the point where you need to aim comes with practice, that one I doubt anyone can explain

Players
1,474 posts
10,124 battles

Isn't there also the factor of the enemy ships Camouflage? +4% to dispersion of enemy shells means they spread out further

Players
100 posts
12,868 battles

Also note that the enemy is not potato.. Not only there is a skill called priority target that lets them know exactly when and how many they aim at them, after u shoot. "Testing the leading" means u are giving away the ambush damage. If they have brain they will angle away the moment they see shells coming their way (even if you aim "correctly" its the reason of most misses).. On most ships its better to fire full salvos. And some require to fire front while angled then tilt slightly to fire the rear (remaining most of the time angled). US line till NC is quite slow though for that tactic to work and you give a lot of broadside to fire rear guns.

As for the ship speeds you need to "feel it" from the smokestacks and learn what ships are fast/slow etc. And if you got torps swap to them between shots, to see from that white-line indicator how fast they travel at any given time.

Practice with different ship classes. Only with number of battles and will, you will learn to aim

Weekend Tester
79 posts
3,367 battles

Dispersion is the issue here as above comments describe, guns do become more accurate as you move up the tiers as a rule.

I'm happy with the dispersion mechanics in the game, there are equipment modules and camo that can be equipped to improve the accuracy of the artillery both primary and secondaries, the reality is that large calibre artillery cannons fired from a warship did suffer from dispersion and very few shells fired hit their targets, in reality I'd suggest your hit chase is greatly exaggerated in this game for gameplay sake.

The low tier USA BB's have particularly bad dispersion and sigma values with the exception of the Arizona which must be laser guided.

Quality Poster
1,688 posts
9,170 battles

Dispersion and RNG is actually often in your favour.

Remember, the enemy ship is moving too, and if the player is smart, in a somewhat random fashion.

If your shells always landed true, you would miss even more often.

But the bigger the spread, the more chance of a miss if you aimed EXACTLY where the enemy ship is at the time the shells land, but the more chance of a hit when they've adjusted course and speed in the mean time.

TBH, I find it to be much more important when to shoot and what target to shoot at.

Shoot an enemy when he is perpendicular to you, showing his broadside, switch targets to the most vulnerable one, instead of hammering that Yama at max range that keeps bouncing your shells.

[ARYA]
Players
515 posts
12,697 battles

There is another question close to yours . That is actually where to aim !

I use this methode abd i am not getting good results : for more than 12 km aim the line paralel to deck and lower distances aim for water line . Correct me please 

[ATOM]
Players
48 posts
6,178 battles

To improve you aim,you can also use your binocular wiew(SHIFT).You see in binocular wiew these numbers mean seconds to target,and if you press left alt,you see how many seconds will took your shells to hit.Then you just have find match with number in binoculars(SHIFT) wiew and (Left ALT),set the lead and fire.You should see and imrpovement,also there are here diferent types of crosheir(in settings),that can help you too.