You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
_Xaero_

Magazine Detonation and the Khabarovsk

29 comments in this topic

Players
137 posts
6,579 battles

I get that getting detonated in a DD is much higher compared to all of the other ship types, but sweet jesus the amount of times I get detonated in the Khabarovsk :P

Compared to other DD lines the RNG chance feels so high. Without using flags that increase the detonation, for example, first match I go in, magazine goes, the next match after I use up the 10 flags you get to prevent it, my magazine goes again. Wondering if i'm just having really bad RNG luck, or dose the Russian DD line have a higher chance than others for detonation?

• Cool 1

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

Dunno maybe a bit tin foil hat but RU stuff seems to detonate more yes.

I remember one game where my Gremy blew up so I hopped straight into a Nikolai battle and she detonated too?! :Smile_amazed:

[B0TS]
Players
228 posts
15,344 battles

I always sail with the detonation (Juliet Charlie) flag on all my DD's. Got fed up getting destroyed, and when I complained, folk would scoff and say you need to use the flag........oh thanks mate :Smile_amazed:

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
2 minutes ago, Captain_Breeze said:

I always sail with the detonation (Juliet Charlie) flag on all my DD's. Got fed up getting destroyed, and when I complained, folk would scoff and say you need to use the flag........oh thanks mate :Smile_amazed:

The 70% Magazine reduction in DDs is enough for me, I almost never detonate these days. I tend to save my flags for competitive stuff as I'm swimming in credits so can take a lul detonation now and again. 

Cruisers and BBs still blow up occasionally however...

• Cool 1

[B0TS]
Players
228 posts
15,344 battles
1 minute ago, Negativvv said:

The 70% Magazine reduction in DDs is enough for me, I almost never detonate these days. I tend to save my flags for competitive stuff as I'm swimming in credits so can take a lul detonation now and again. 

Cruisers and BBs still blow up occasionally however...

Good to know, thanking you kindleeeee  :Smile_honoring:

Players
137 posts
6,579 battles

Normally use Main Arm Mod in the first slot, maybe I should put the magazine detonation chance on it instead for my DD P:

[BLITZ]
Players
2,779 posts
10,269 battles
21 minutes ago, _Xaero_ said:

using flags that increase the detonation

Maybe that's the problem. :Smile_hiding:

Spoiler

:Smile-_tongue:

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
11,818 battles
58 minutes ago, MortenTardo said:

Khaba detonates alot for me aswell. @Aotearas What about you? :Smile_teethhappy:

I hath been summone-

Explosion_of_WWII_mine_in_the_Baltic_Sea

• Cool 5

[TTT]
[TTT]
1,248 posts
12,662 battles
1 hour ago, _Xaero_ said:

I get that getting detonated in a DD is much higher compared to all of the other ship types, [...]

I always wondered why that's seen as fair. Like again, why is something that affects DDs more than other ships acceptable?

• Cool 2

[POP]
Players
448 posts
9,640 battles

It's a detonation fest in the Leningrad too. And the only guy I saw detonated today was in an Udaloi.

I see a pattern or a confirmation bias in here!

Players
137 posts
6,579 battles
1 hour ago, SeeteufeI said:

Maybe that's the problem. :Smile_hiding:

Reveal hidden contents

:Smile-_tongue:

Made the mistake of doing this before I realised how often the Khab gets detonated without them, never again :P

Players
137 posts
6,579 battles
15 minutes ago, Teob_VG said:

I always wondered why that's seen as fair. Like again, why is something that affects DDs more than other ships acceptable?

I think the whole detonation thing should be dropped altogether imo, serves no purpose at all other than to be annoying :L

Players
137 posts
6,579 battles
8 minutes ago, Altsak said:

It's a detonation fest in the Leningrad too. And the only guy I saw detonated today was in an Udaloi.

I see a pattern or a confirmation bias in here!

I've been detonated a few times in my Shim, but this over a long time span and their never close together. Russian DDs on the other hand P:

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
11,818 battles

Weeeeee

Just had a game in my Khaba and I DIDN'T detonate ... not having to save my Juliet Charlies for CW certainly helps. It's refreshing to have a game and not detonate from the first salvo that hits.

I ain't even mad that the enemy Iowa BB AP chunked me good a couple times and ultimately sunk me. At least I didn't detonate ... and annoyed that Iowa plenty so it's fair game really. :Smile_trollface:  

[HOO]
Players
2,190 posts
28 minutes ago, Teob_VG said:

I too detonate a lot if I forget to use flags, this is the lot of the DD driver.

I am of the opinion that DD's detonate more as they have all their vital bits in a small area so a shell hit (or nearby splash damage) gets a chance roll per system where as on a BB those systems are spread out more.

That or DD's plain have a higher detonation chance in the first place by deliberate or accidental coding.

I agree detonations are just tedious and I usually apologise to someone if my hit detonates them.

[N0RSE]
Players
1,745 posts
1 hour ago, Teob_VG said:

Beacause its realistic. Did you not hear? Every time its a poll or something like that, players argue its realistic so keep it in. :Smile_facepalm:

TBH i think its BS. Especially in CW or Ranked. No place for even more RNG.

Players
1,064 posts
4,886 battles
3 hours ago, Negativvv said:

Dunno maybe a bit tin foil hat but RU stuff seems to detonate more yes.

I remember one game where my Gremy blew up so I hopped straight into a Nikolai battle and she detonated too?! :Smile_amazed:

That was RNGesus' way of telling you "You can run, but you can't hide".

Players
4,006 posts
7,573 battles
48 minutes ago, MortenTardo said:

Beacause its realistic. Did you not hear? Every time its a poll or something like that, players argue its realistic so keep it in.

Is it realistic?

A lot of battleships were destroyed by magazine explosions, but destroyers, I'm not aware of any.  The closest I can find is USS Shaw which suffered such an event at Pearl Harbour, but that was repaired and back in service within about 6 months so not quite of the same magnitude as when the BB went bang.

Was there something in the nature of DD that made them almost immune to detonations?  Maybe something as simple as the quantity of powder carried.

[N0RSE]
Players
1,745 posts
1 hour ago, Capra76 said:

Is it realistic?

A lot of battleships were destroyed by magazine explosions, but destroyers, I'm not aware of any.  The closest I can find is USS Shaw which suffered such an event at Pearl Harbour, but that was repaired and back in service within about 6 months so not quite of the same magnitude as when the BB went bang.

Was there something in the nature of DD that made them almost immune to detonations?  Maybe something as simple as the quantity of powder carried.

That is what they say. 

"Leave it cuz its realistic". I hate it tho. (Detonated just now in the Budyonny) It just screws over your team aswel. Its pretty much WG saying: here you go, match is rigged against you cuz RNG. 

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
2,866 posts
10,705 battles
6 hours ago, Capra76 said:

..... but destroyers, I'm not aware of any.

IJN DD Yudachi from what I know got magazined: After being crippled already, the also heavily damaged Portland (torp hit to the stern caused damage and put the rudder out of order) sunk her by the rising light of the upcoming day. This was a aftermath battle between ships unable to leave to scene after the Drunken Bar Brawl-Night Battle at Guadalcanal.

Thats no objection to what you said, just wanted to provide some info for a fellow player who is interested. :Smile_honoring:

6 hours ago, Capra76 said:

almost immune to detonations? 

The fragility sure helped a lot in a sense that if a steel behemoth vanishes in a mushroom cloud, everyone is surprise and looks. On the other hand when an US DD gets hit by 2 long lance torps and quickly "disassembles" and similarly quickly goes under, it doesnt really matter if in the midst of all that carnage the (relativly small)  quantity of explosives went of aswell.

€: It happened to armed merchant vessels too. IE Torpedo hits on the stern would tear the aft section "rather" apart when the ammo for said guns would go boom, but in a sense of still highly localized damage because the ships werent simply carrying tons and tons of explosives.

• Cool 1

Players
349 posts
15,839 battles

Your observations are correct indeed, VMF vessels do tend to detonate much more often than others. My theory is that it is due to improper storage of the Stalinium shells, probably due to the poor training of the crews.

[ONE2]
Players
2,934 posts
17,547 battles
16 hours ago, _Xaero_ said:

I get that getting detonated in a DD is much higher compared to all of the other ship types, but sweet jesus the amount of times I get detonated in the Khabarovsk :P

Compared to other DD lines the RNG chance feels so high. Without using flags that increase the detonation, for example, first match I go in, magazine goes, the next match after I use up the 10 flags you get to prevent it, my magazine goes again. Wondering if i'm just having really bad RNG luck, or dose the Russian DD line have a higher chance than others for detonation?

Pffth! That's nothiing dude! I got detonated 4 times in 4 consecutive battles last weekend in my Yugumo... :fish_boom:

It was then I suddenly remembered that I actually happen to have 258 of those rather nifty Juliet Charlie flags stocked up and neatly folded somewhere on the top shelf of my signals cabinet...:Smile_smile: Problem solved!

Of course I also changed the ship to Kagerou just for good measure, forgot to mount the effing signals again and, rather unsurprisingly, got detonated the fifth time... :etc_swear:

Of course, since Khaba is a gunboat and so you tend to use them more... Therefore, while firing it does not enjoy concealment much and also gets shot at a lot more than some other DD's (I should perhaps remember that Yugumo is not necessarily supposed to be a gunboat more often myself but I do enjoy my Pewpew so), resulting in more ample opportunities to get detonated in the process.:Smile_medal:

Players
7 posts
9,960 battles

And i thought german dd are the most prone to detonations. I could swear every time i played my z-23 without flags, I detonated. Maybe i should buy her back to get more flags cause I have only 9 left.

[ONE2]
Players
2,934 posts
17,547 battles

Weel, you know... Gunboat again. Hazards of the trade methinks. It could always be possible that someone shoots back and when they do....:fish_boom: Unless, of course you are playing against some of the teams I've had lately. Then it would be quite safe, since no-one bothers to shoot at a DD - Ever... :fish_sleep:

I even had the dubious honor of witnessing a New Mexico in our team, NOT trying to shoot at a Kamikaze, which was clearly visible about 5km right in front of his main guns (they were loaded) and choosing instead to shoot right over the Kami at an enemy BB some 15 km away... Somehow, he seemed surprised and rather upset, when seconds later some 6 torpedoes landed on his side and insta-killed him.:Smile_amazed:

Well, since I was nearby a few km away in my Furutaka trying to shoot at the Kami (I did get him eventually, but the bugger was crafty and Furutaka not ideal for DD hunting anyways) it turned out it was apparently all my fault and he reported me for not killing the Kami on time.:Smile_sad:

Sad but true, I am overwhelmed with shame and dishonor.:Smile_hiding:

But not to be too harsh though, he WAS in a BB so self-defense is apparently not mandatory and our team did also have 6 other Cruisers besides me, sadly it seemed that I was the only one deluded enough to try and shoot at puny DD's for much less HP damage (yes, I did ask them why in the team chat - This was the explanation I got, along with remarks that i was obviously stupid for not realizing it - So feeling rather dejected and ashamed of my persistent ignorance I refrained from team chatting for the rest of the game).:etc_hide_turtle:

For some reason, we did not win... I don't know why. :Smile_sceptic: