Verblonde

Deep Water Torps - what's the state of play?

8 comments in this topic

Question

[SM0KE]
Players
2,069 posts
5,839 battles

I've seen reference to deep water torps being tested on Pan Asian destroyers; is this the case?

If so, can you elect not to use them (a toggle, maybe)?

If not, how do they work? Am I correct in thinking they just run deeper than standard torps and, as such, you can't hit destroyers with them, but everything else can be hit?

Basically, do I need to play my Anshan differently, if it can't hit DDs with torps (or can it still)?

7 answers to this question

[OM]
Beta Tester, WoWs Wiki Team
3,436 posts
11,419 battles

Anshan as a premium ship won't change, the deep water torps are (currently) for the regular Pan-Asian ships only.

And yes, it's basically:

• you can't hit DDs
  • lower visibility (sonar still spots them normally though)
  • you might not be able to hit cruisers (as that is what they are currently testing with Graf Zeppelin torps)

The new DDs can't choose between Deep and Non-Deep torpedos (yet).

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,296 posts
7,550 battles
2 minutes ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

Anshan as a premium ship won't change, the deep water torps are (currently) for the regular Pan-Asian ships only.

And yes, it's basically:

• you can't hit DDs
  • you might not be able to hit cruisers (as that is what they are currently testing with Graf Zeppelin torps)

What happened to the part where they supposed to do more damage on BBs because the bypass the torpedobelt (by going deep)?

Beta Tester
716 posts
10,654 battles
1 minute ago, Miessa3 said:

What happened to the part where they supposed to do more damage on BBs because the bypass the torpedobelt (by going deep)?

So far on GZ there is no difference, id say they even cause less floodings by doing same damage as average CV torpedoes, the only difference is that like mentioned - DD are not your targets. But knowing WG, they will go full tard for the upcoming line to generate interest in it, and will probably do some unimaaginable things to this gimmik, as they did with the recently added RN BB.

[OM]
Beta Tester, WoWs Wiki Team
3,436 posts
11,419 battles
1 minute ago, Miessa3 said:

Well, I can't remember ever reading about this from official sources, I just saw some players talking about it.

And it wouldn't make sense as the torpedo belt on nearly all ships goes down to the bottom of the ship.

b27e752a3a.png

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,296 posts
7,550 battles
10 minutes ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

Well, I can't remember ever reading about this from official sources, I just saw some players talking about it.

And it wouldn't make sense as the torpedo belt on nearly all ships goes down to the bottom of the ship.

b27e752a3a.png

Oh ok then it must be me renembering it wrong. :cap_haloween:

But... then these Torpedos are very pointless on carriers aren't they? (unless they want to do it for all carriers to stop them from cross torping DDs)

Oh and it removes everything that remotly reminded of a nerf to BBs from those Torps......

[SM0KE]
Players
2,069 posts
5,839 battles
1 hour ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

And yes, it's basically:

• you can't hit DDs

Thank you (and to everyone else, as well)!

So, for the new DDs, you'll be more likely to hit fatties (as they won't see your torps until closer to impact, sonar excepted), but at the cost of not being able to even ding enemy DDs?

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,108 posts
11,650 battles
3 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

Thank you (and to everyone else, as well)!

So, for the new DDs, you'll be more likely to hit fatties (as they won't see your torps until closer to impact, sonar excepted), but at the cost of not being able to even ding enemy DDs?

Pretty much, the random DD hits are one of the best things about torpedoes if you ask me... That surprise kill you get when a DD was trying to screen their friendly BB is awesome.

WG does not want that clearly :Smile_sceptic:

• Cool 1