Server Maintenance - January 18, 6:00 CET (5:00 UTC) Read more... ×
Louis2brosGummer

New Orleans how to be usefull.

20 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
84 posts
4,027 battles

Well, The title says it all.

I really like the Pensacola because of it's nimble playstyle. Of course MM is currently in it's favor, but even before that it was good (for me at least).

Now the next in line.... I got a nice cammo for it from an event, so I thought lets give it a try. I have played the ship in Beta and found it pretty good back then.

However, I just played 8 games in it because I don't dare to take it out anymore. Because of the low game count the WR is now 63% thanks to being lucky to get some decent teams. My contribution to victory has been zero.

avg damage 26k Hooray. only managed to survive one of those 8 games, barely alive. destruction ratio 0,29.

It's not that I don't have experience in cruisers, I play them a lot and even manage to make ships work that other people cannot get along with. like Yorck, Pensacola, Hipper, Furutaka etc.

In Tier 10 this ship is just god awfull. at tier 8 its ok, but I rather play the Pensacola  in tier 8 because it just eats less shells and citadels. every t8+ BB gets a citadel on the new Orleans as soon as the ship smells a BB shell half it's HP is gone.

Been killed in one salvo two times already.:cap_fainting:

Radar sounds fun but is pretty useless overall, to situational. You have to get close and being close means death incoming. Only once in these 8 games radar was useful for a bit and then I died soon after. It can only work when behind an island and nobody can touch you, but you won't be touching anything either behind an island. I want to do damage, not cower behind cover. I think I will park this ship in drydock until they do something about it. now it's just a useless addition to the team and that slot can be better filled with a different ship from my collection.

If you got any tips, please share them.

See you in battle.

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
529 posts

Well, I hardly got anything but high tiers in that ship.

I ended up playing her as pure support. Made sure other ships was focused before I opened up.

AP is as u already know, good.

I would have been more aggressive if I`d got better tier MM. But try......not to get pooped at. Lol

Beta Tester
84 posts
4,027 battles

Yes, I have maximum rudder mods to use the WSAD hacks, but the rng makes sure I get hit anyway :).

I guess I must resist being usefull form the start, I am used to making dd's life miserable but I must resist I guess.

[SSA]
Players
510 posts
16,216 battles

If you haven't seen them already i highly recommend Flamus commentaries

(1 and 2 are top tier matches, 3 is specifically about dealing with t10s)

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

(Assuming you have CE) Imo it's alright to take an agressive initial position as long as there's no bb pushing into you and most importantly you always know (more than 90% sure) you can disengage (ideally into cover) as soon as the firing debuff ends or earlier. Try to find cover you can lob shells over, (more important on the Balti and Des Moines later, but a good habit) with the US-arcs and be a nuisance without giving the enemy much chance to counterfire by using your good concealment to disengage whenever needed.

So basically standart cruiser-gameplay with an even higher emphasis on positioning and falling back into concealment.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,335 posts

From T8+ US CA, you have to learn to use mainly 6 frontal guns and island hugging, because in high tier only (bow on + WSAD hack), islands and camo can keep you from get deleted prematurely. You can kite too, but only if you are at risk of being flanked but for me, kiting is only good for survival rate and damage, not good to win game because you give up cap zone to your enemies and you are too far to use radar efficiently to help your team.

Beta Tester
84 posts
4,027 battles

Thank you guys,

I do look at it the same way, but cover is really situational. it's not something you can exploit it all the time. I guess I will have to get used to it, and play much more defensively.

I will remove the extra rudder shift module and replace it with the concealment module. I started out like that but after the first two or three games I thought having a better rudder would help evading shots easier, but that does not help much as you cannot predict the RBG gods.

I will give it another go. 

[KRKEN]
Players
22 posts

I have recently ground the US cruiser line. While Pensacola was a pleasant surprise being decent regardless of its reputation, New Orleans was the very low of the whole line, most likely due to the worst combination of being fragile and not being able to kite. All I can advise is to hug islands and use your concealment. There is no better armor then good old dirt and rocks. Use radar in situations when you have a favorable position and simply trudge through the grind. Baltimore is considerably better because of the heal, better ROF and slightly better armor.

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
529 posts
1 hour ago, IronFish_ said:

I have recently ground the US cruiser line. While Pensacola was a pleasant surprise being decent regardless of its reputation,

Well, the Pensa has been buffed. She used to suffer from the gunrange being the same as your detectionrange. So u got detected very early on and could not return fire cause they were out of your range.

With the reduced detectability as she has now, she is way better to play.

Players
404 posts
3,240 battles

Thee new US split line announcement places the New Orleans at T7, so perhaps with a few changes it could feel good. I'm not convinced the NO is "trash" like I see in chat all the time, it just takes more map awareness than other ships (and, you know, T10 games don't help much). I hope mine gets better when I finally get around to researching the gun upgrade. The 15 second reload really limits DPM and makes the ship much less scary than it should be.

[-AS-]
[-AS-]
Players
111 posts
6,453 battles

The New Orleans is all about stealth and firing at the right moment (either in smoke or just before you are able to hide behind an island). In effect it is the 'patient man's cruiser'. Trigger happy people will find out soon enough their playstyle won't work using this ship.

If you take all options that focus on stealth (concealment expert etc) you can bring the ship's detection range down to 9km, which is absolutely stellar to ambush DD's, battleships etc.

[ONIX]
Players
1,085 posts
9,004 battles

Grind her as fast as you can to get to Baltimore, which is a nice ship with the better reload. Then you grind Baltimore as fast as you can for the ultimate reload in Des Moines.

Nah, really, what others have said, you're more a hit and run, ambusher type of ship that needs very good positioning and a lot of luck not getting focused. Without fast reload or torps, don't expect to carry a game with her since MM is not helpful and she doesn't have the gimmick of a Kutuzov (smoke) or Atago (concealment + good torp angles)

[IDDQD]
Players
1,593 posts
8,664 battles
On 6. 11. 2017 at 11:53 AM, VIChiefIV said:

The New Orleans is all about stealth and firing at the right moment (either in smoke or just before you are able to hide behind an island). In effect it is the 'patient man's cruiser'. Trigger happy people will find out soon enough their playstyle won't work using this ship.

If you take all options that focus on stealth (concealment expert etc) you can bring the ship's detection range down to 9km, which is absolutely stellar to

ambush DD's, battleships CRUISERS!

basicaly this

NO cant carry battle, its not her job, but she can destroy some vital, important or just stupid ships (and can provide AA support like any other non IJN cruiser)

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,102 posts
11,618 battles

What sort of BB would you be ambushing in NO??

Still trying to get her to work... Won't be a keeper regardless!

[SNUBS]
Players
1,265 posts
6,677 battles

nah because of tier 10 MM its the worst of the line. the ship itself is not that bad tho. your armor when angeled is pretty good.

it is also the first ship you want to get close with tho. use the stealth to get close and help your dds with radar. just try to keep the bbs  between islands or turn before u get spotted.

Players
440 posts
5,824 battles

NO:

Pros:

- Decent concealment.

- Good USN AP.

- OK HE.

- OK shells trajectory/velocity.

- Good manoeuvrability.

- Good AA.

Cons:

- Usually thrown against T9-T10.

- Armor while decent if angled is of course useless against T9-T10 BB.

- ROF insufficient to fight efficiently against any high tier cruiser.

Radar = useless except in rare situation -> trying to use the radar at all cost = gets you killed easily especially in T9-T10 matches, play the NO like an indianapolis -> has radar but very few opportunities to use it without being sunk.

NO play:

Found the best way to play it is:

- Look carefully at the teams lineups.

- Start the game by going with the bulk of the team.

- Never be the first to be targeted, if necessary fall back into concealment without firing a single shot.

- HE at max range on BB, AP on broadside BB, AP on broadside cruisers.

- PT and CE are must have skills -> if targeted by 2+ BB then go back into concealment.

- Never be caught broadside by anything.

- Kiting is king.

- Time your turns so that you start firing when you are already kiting.

Island hiding depends on the maps and the flow of the battle, kiting is best with that ship as, despite having a decent concealment + radar means that you may be tempted to use those but will usually die fast if caught -> because under 12km any decent BB player can erase you or at least damage you enough to seriously hurt.

The NO concealment is sadly really uselful only to disappear quickly before being erased.

Decent concealment + radar = can be used with DM -> simply because you have the ROF to make it work, NO sadly doesn't have ROF nor enough guns at the front..........

I like the NO but played to its strenght:

1 If there are cruisers -> wait for the moment you catch them broadside -> then cita-cita-cita

2 If (as usualy) you are bottom tier + just a few cruisers: Then play second line following the bulk of your team and spam HE at BB + AP if they are broadside.

Let's face it, with the current meat + MM playing the NO agressively will get you killed more often than not for low dmg dealt. Kiting is king.

Oh and by the way by kiting you can sometimes burn down a BB to death + if there are 2-3 BB pursuing you and firing at your WASD'ing little paper cruiser -> you farm dmg but you are also useful to your team, simply because those BB are too busy trying to sink you to do anything else useful.

• Cool 1

[-AS-]
[-AS-]
Players
111 posts
6,453 battles
On 11/18/2017 at 9:48 AM, Negativvv said:

What sort of BB would you be ambushing in NO??

Still trying to get her to work... Won't be a keeper regardless!

I had some nice run in with BBs like Bizmarks, KGV etc that try to sail past little islands. If you can pop out at the right moment you can sail past them and pepper them with shots while their turrets desperately try to sway in your direction. It doesn't happen much, because it only works against silly BBs captains, but when it does the damage is so much the sweeter :)

Beta Tester
84 posts
4,027 battles

I have done 2 or three games in NO since I posted here, I just can't muster enough courage to take her out. I have decided to wait the NA tree changes and see if that helps. It is just not my playstyle to wait behind islands and hope to be useful minutes later. Pensacola just feels 1000% better.

Players
587 posts
5,313 battles

Pensacola pretty much has to hide for the first few minutes of a game, to be alive to do some good later on (though it's not as bad now that she's stealthy).

NO is similar, but because of the radar she can be useful while hiding :)

[RAGE]
Players
116 posts
2,316 battles

When I played her I found that, for one, the most important thing was staying alive.

The best positions to get into a generally hugging islands in sneaky positions close to caps, such as where only your front guns poke out (you don't get spotted and can still fire). This means that you can support your DDs using radar and, over time, burn down ships, unless of course they show you even the tiniest broadside in which case switch to AP ASAP. US AP is one of the biggest perks on the New Orleans, second only to radar imo.

[BUSHI]
Players
3,023 posts
16,191 battles

I love NO and my play style is very simple. Full forward with closest DD to the nearest cap on flank.

Turn behind island - spotted - radar - fire at DD. Wiggle as needed or stop firing when overhelmed. Then as long I have HP I fire all the time no matter the position. When low on HP - hide and spam only behind islands. In fact in most games it works well. Average DMG in last 200 battles is 60K/54% SRV.

It's really hard to do that without firing non stop with a few breaks only. Perfect ship for WASD vs weak/normal players. When really good BB is seen, then the only working tactics is run and hide. However most are rather average and even NO vs 2 BB on open ground has a lot of chances then.

In most the cases I am constantly on first line close to friendly DD. In fact NO when running can withstand hell of fire when angled in almost perfect 0 when shells are landing. (You must watch for every incoming salvo) Have more then 0 angle = citadels from BB.

The same I play Atago. Balti and Des are much tricker to play becouse their size and clumsiness.