Sign in to follow this  
USSARIZONA_2015

How to shutdown/outplay the Taiho in a stock Essex???

29 comments in this topic

Players
47 posts
7,170 battles

Hey there fellas.

Upon deciding to research the USS Essex, I now come to the question of how to give the other T9 CV, the Taiho, A run for their money in a 1 vs 1 Situation. What I'm guessing is that I should research the Anti Air load out first, since the strike package only has one fighter, but in any case, is it possible to Cv snipe Taiho using a strike loud out? or is 1 torpedo bomber and 3 dive bombers not enough to do the job? I will be researching both load outs, but which of the two is better for fighting against a Taiho player? (regardless of skill) I appreciate any advice!

until next post,

USSARIZONA_2015

Beta Tester
716 posts
10,669 battles

Forget sniping the enemy CV, use your infinite strafing ability to wipe its paper planes out of the sky, any dogfight is your win if you got any captain points on planes damage and HP to add to your fighters. US can easily outlats an IJN CV in terms of plane reserve, it has few fighters, strip them off as fast as you can, then just farm the rest.

• Cool 1

[CLADS]
Players
151 posts
9,963 battles

You can either use your only fighter squad (assuming you play 1-1-3) to protect your strike planes and try to outfarm him. Or you use the squad to protect your fleet and try to outlast him.

Both options have flaws, and both options make you predictable. Thats why high tier US carriers suck 

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,436 posts
13,843 battles

If he's good, you're pretty much lost no matter what setup you play. If he isn't, strike setup gives you the most flexibility and hitting power, therefore the most game influence.

Thus strike is the way to go. Don't try CV sniping against good CV players, though. If you're experienced enough you can see them coming from miles away (literally all you have to do is watch the clock, depending on map size if your enemy hasn't shown you any strike planes in 2-4 minutes he's probably coming to snipe you).

Players
1,542 posts
6,483 battles
On 31/10/2017 at 11:18 PM, El2aZeR said:

If he's good, you're pretty much lost no matter what setup you play. If he isn't, strike setup gives you the most flexibility and hitting power, therefore the most game influence.

Thus strike is the way to go. Don't try CV sniping against good CV players, though. If you're experienced enough you can see them coming from miles away (literally all you have to do is watch the clock, depending on map size if your enemy hasn't shown you any strike planes in 2-4 minutes he's probably coming to snipe you).

This..:cap_tea:

[OSC]
Players
1,991 posts
11,497 battles
On 10/31/2017 at 5:47 PM, Azalgor said:

Forget sniping the enemy CV, use your infinite strafing ability to wipe its paper planes out of the sky, any dogfight is your win if you got any captain points on planes damage and HP to add to your fighters. US can easily outlats an IJN CV in terms of plane reserve, it has few fighters, strip them off as fast as you can, then just farm the rest.

Very good advice....thats why you have 41% wr in yours cvs?

Beta Tester
716 posts
10,669 battles
34 minutes ago, 15JG52Adler said:

Very good advice....thats why you have 41% wr in yours cvs?

No, its because when i play a CV i cap points because my team doesn't.

[OSC]
Players
1,991 posts
11,497 battles
16 minutes ago, Azalgor said:

No, its because when i play a CV i cap points because my team doesn't.

right....but it would be nice to actually know how to play cv...,you dont obvoiusly, before "teaching" others how to play....your statement about paper planes of taiho is one of most stupid thing i read on this forum last month....

you have over 100 games in taiho which is one of strongest ship tier per tier and you have 41% wr....it is not that essex is strong it is that you suck so hard in cv

Beta Tester
716 posts
10,669 battles
49 minutes ago, 15JG52Adler said:

you have over 100 games in taiho which is one of strongest ship tier per tier and you have 41% wr....it is not that essex is strong it is that you suck so hard in cv

I dont masturbate on my stats unlike some people do, thus it doesnt mean i dont know how to play. Do i give a damn about how i play? No! Why do you?

[OSC]
Players
1,991 posts
11,497 battles
1 minute ago, Azalgor said:

I dont masturbate on my stats unlike some people do, thus it doesnt mean i dont know how to play. Do i give a damn about how i play? No! Why do you?

bad stats means bad player

bad player gieving addvice on forum is monkey move

Beta Tester
716 posts
10,669 battles
1 minute ago, 15JG52Adler said:

bad stats means bad player

bad player gieving addvice on forum is monkey move

Well, you are a sad naive person then, i feel kinda bad for you. From your primitive way of thinking, makes me wonder who the actual monkey is.

[OSC]
Players
1,991 posts
11,497 battles
51 minutes ago, Azalgor said:

Well, you are a sad naive person then, i feel kinda bad for you. From your primitive way of thinking, makes me wonder who the actual monkey is.

right....just dont give more advice pls...some peoples looks for real advice on forum

Beta Tester
716 posts
10,669 battles
43 minutes ago, 15JG52Adler said:

right....just dont give more advice pls...some peoples looks for real advice on forum

Domt tell me what to do and i wont tell you where to go.

[DIKI]
Players
988 posts
295 battles

you can not outplay taiho, simple as that....you can be better player and outplay noob in taiho....but ship vs ship it is not eaven contest......taiho is problably single best CV in game tier per tier.

Dont listen ignorant peoples who lose from Essex and think Essex is good ship

[WOTN]
Quality Poster
2,088 posts
14,054 battles

You use your superior striking power to cut down any capital ships with any funny ideas about flanking and keep the fighter over your fleet to intercept the Taiho's attempts against your fleet and aggravate him into making stupid mistakes. Using your fighters to push an attack through a Taiho's air defenses is all but impossible, so just strike where the Taiho is not and shave down any attempts at striking your ships. This, of course, only works if your destroyers aren't complete idiots which is something of a high order in randoms. Just FXP your way through at least the aircraft upgrades and then perhaps wait until the CV update gives you a bit more fighter power.

[DIKI]
Players
988 posts
295 battles
16 hours ago, maestrod said:

Well it seems the developers fixed your problem since essex now completely shits on taiho...

Welllll......no. 

[AAO]
Players
400 posts
7,137 battles
On 1.12.2017 at 10:16 PM, maestrod said:

Well it seems the developers fixed your problem since essex now completely shits on taiho...

Well i havet found too many issues vs essex in few games i have played my Taiho, just make sure what ever is fighting you make him pay every strike attempt and use your teams AA to help FvF fights. Bigger issue is enemy getting alot of AA ships that group up, while your team sails alone without any overlapping AA.

I have gotten more headace from broken UI and CV controls.

[GURKA]
[GURKA]
Players
1,785 posts
6,230 battles

One question: Why are the Essex fighter always so much faster than my Taiho fighters? Taiho fighters have 176 knots, and Essex 169 knots. Even with a speed module 5% speed its just ~177 knots. Essex fighter always just fly away from mine and I don't know why. It's like they have ~190 knots

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,436 posts
13,843 battles

Maybe he's strafing to get away from you?

Or it's just your imagination.

[GURKA]
[GURKA]
Players
1,785 posts
6,230 battles
12 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Maybe he's strafing to get away from you?

Or it's just your imagination.

... Oh you're right, it's just my imagination, that I can't catch the enemy fighters and they escaped :cap_fainting:

Players
1,752 posts
9,924 battles
3 hours ago, Pikkozoikum said:

... Oh you're right, it's just my imagination, that I can't catch the enemy fighters and they escaped :cap_fainting:

As El2aZeR said there is strafing. Then there is also other factors like the fighters turning and flying over mountains which slow down planes. There is also the distance where you spot the enemy fighters. Perhaps you spot then at a distance where even with better speed you will never catch up to them. If im not mistaken the flag u get from clear sky boost fighter speed as well?

[GURKA]
[GURKA]
Players
1,785 posts
6,230 battles
7 hours ago, pra3y said:

As El2aZeR said there is strafing. Then there is also other factors like the fighters turning and flying over mountains which slow down planes. There is also the distance where you spot the enemy fighters. Perhaps you spot then at a distance where even with better speed you will never catch up to them. If im not mistaken the flag u get from clear sky boost fighter speed as well?

Guess I'm able to notice the strafin animation, and no, they did not strafed. Just fly away on the open ocean. They flew a straight line, and I right clicked them, so I flew a straight line as well and I was directly behind them at the beginning, when he started to escape, he just moved away. That happens really often. It's like following Dive bombers without bombs.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,436 posts
13,843 battles

Well, there is also desync to consider. The position of the icon is not indicative to the true position of the squad. However due to how WoWs works ships/aircraft will never actually jump around and such like you would see in many other MP games, instead they'll simply move faster to to their actual position.

Or maybe he did actually pick the speed module. 1-2kn of difference can be pretty big considering speeds in this game are artificially accelerated.

Really, I've never experienced what you're describing tbh.

Players
1,752 posts
9,924 battles
4 hours ago, Pikkozoikum said:

Guess I'm able to notice the strafin animation, and no, they did not strafed. Just fly away on the open ocean. They flew a straight line, and I right clicked them, so I flew a straight line as well and I was directly behind them at the beginning, when he started to escape, he just moved away. That happens really often. It's like following Dive bombers without bombs.

w04dx.jpg

Not doubting you but I'll guess the guy was strafing. RNGesus knows the amount of times I've used that trick to get away from enemy fighters when stuck in a gang up or when I only have a few fighters left and don't want them to die.

Sign in to follow this