Server Downtime 21/02 04:00 UTC Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Affeks

Can making the Hipper guns available on Yorck fix it?

12 comments in this topic

[HOME]
Beta Tester
1,877 posts
7,139 battles

Tried to play Yorck and I find that it really isnt that good. It has potential, but the pros does really not outweigh the cons to be honest.

The strength Yorck has is undoubtedly the guns, but they are far to inconsistent it too many ways to really pull the weight of the ship. For example the AP damage Yorck can dish out is potentially huge, but the huge drag and mediocre auto bounce makes sure that you cant be a reliably threat to any broadsides. 

The one strength Yorck has is that it has a good turning circle, but that is completely ruined by the fact that Yorck's guns have terrible traverse.

So in my opinion giving Yorck the ability to mount the 203 mm L/60 SK C/34 guns would fix both these problems as it would make Yorck an actual threat to enemies, and at the same time provide the excellent turret traverse to be able to follow its tight turns.

I think it also would make sense as Yorck in its current state is such a black horse in the current KM Cruiser line

[SINT]
Players
301 posts
13,748 battles

The Yorck is just a strange duck in the German line. You go through nimble, hard AP hitting but squishy light cruisers (V& VI) to some sort of Heavy cruiser that has guns akin to the pre ww1 Armored cruiser Blucher with crap rotation and low shell speed. Its a firestarter first with only usefull AP at closer ranges. 

After the Yorck you proceed to the Hipper which is in line with the playstyle type of German cruiser until tier X. Although i find the Hipper (or Prinz Eugen) lacking in DPS esp. compared with the new cruisers (and buffed US and JPN tier 8’s)

[HOME]
Beta Tester
1,877 posts
7,139 battles
9 minutes ago, Jvd2000 said:

The Yorck is just a strange duck in the German line. You go through nimble, hard AP hitting but squishy light cruisers (V& VI) to some sort of Heavy cruiser that has guns akin to the pre ww1 Armored cruiser Blucher with crap rotation and low shell speed. Its a firestarter first with only usefull AP at closer ranges. 

After the Yorck you proceed to the Hipper which is in line with the playstyle type of German cruiser until tier X. Although i find the Hipper (or Prinz Eugen) lacking in DPS esp. compared with the new cruisers (and buffed US and JPN tier 8’s)

I have prinz so I know all about Hipper haha.

The problem is that I dont think Yorck's strengths outweigh all its terrible aspects and I dont think what WG has done (buff RoF to 12 seconds) is a good way to address how to balanc Yorck.

[BYOB]
Players
3,302 posts
11,567 battles

The only thing the Yorck needs is an upgrade to the AP parallel to the HE upgrade. With better drag the AP would become workable.

[HOME]
Beta Tester
1,877 posts
7,139 battles
Just now, Aragathor said:

The only thing the Yorck needs is an upgrade to the AP parallel to the HE upgrade. With better drag the AP would become workable.

I guess, but I still think the easiest would be to just have the new guns available as an upgrade. 

It just doesnt make sense that it has WW2 AA and secondaries but still has a main battery designed in 1905.

http://navweaps.com/Weapons/WNGER_827-45_skc05.php

See this, this is the exact gun they mounted on Yorck, it fits on a stock, but damn it doesnt make sense to have on the rest of the ship.

[BYOB]
Players
3,302 posts
11,567 battles
3 hours ago, Affeks said:

I guess, but I still think the easiest would be to just have the new guns available as an upgrade. 

It just doesnt make sense that it has WW2 AA and secondaries but still has a main battery designed in 1905.

http://navweaps.com/Weapons/WNGER_827-45_skc05.php

See this, this is the exact gun they mounted on Yorck, it fits on a stock, but damn it doesnt make sense to have on the rest of the ship.

I know the gun, yes it makes little sense and a fictional 1920s gun would have been better. I'm not arguing against the 203, which would have been the best choice. I'm arguing for a reasonable change, because WG is surely not going to rework the whole ship.

• Cool 1

[HOME]
Beta Tester
1,877 posts
7,139 battles
1 hour ago, Aragathor said:

I know the gun, yes it makes little sense and a fictional 1920s gun would have been better. I'm not arguing against the 203, which would have been the best choice. I'm arguing for a reasonable change, because WG is surely not going to rework the whole ship.

Yup, just adding the already existing guns would require little additional effort on WGs part and will condition players better into the succeding ships.

[-AS-]
[-AS-]
Players
111 posts
6,806 battles

To answer the OP's question: The Yorck is by far and wide the worst T7 cruiser in the game, mostly indeed because of its shell travel times. Against faster targets it's almost nigh impossible to land any hits if the opponent knows what he's doing. I once fired shells from 10 km at an Omaha who was sailing in a straight line and found it impossible to hit him because even if I lined him up all the way at the edge of my screen my shells would still land well behind him. So for targets like that the Yorck effectively has to blind fire.

There are other ships that are hard to play and have issues but with those I always found and find it a nice challenge to outperform people with 'better ships'. The Yorck was the only ship I ever sold off shouting 'hell yeah' while doing it. It's a hunk of junk and the Hipper, although criticized by some, is a superior ship in every way that I absolutely adore and tend to do quite well with even when uptiered.

Giving the Yorck Hipper-like guns would make the ship actually fun to play I should imagine.

• Cool 1

Players
159 posts
12,137 battles

Dont expect devs to give yorck hipper guns. The  biggest upgrade once u finished yorck is the guns. Altho yorck already received turret speed buff. Its still on the slow side but the only thing that actualy works with yorck is close range combat. Like ge bb line ca line is designed for brawl. Thus u have amazing armor (for a cruiser), strong ap and excellent manouverability. Best turn circle cruiser have ingame. If u prefer ijn ca playstyle u will hate yorck. But if u have kamikaze inside of u she will make u smile. Oneshoting myoko at 5 km ( with guns ) is just too sweet a feeling. It took me forever to figure up that ship but once i realized that close combat is her thing i loved it. Like a mini tirpitz. Too bad i was done with hipper grind when i got 2 myokos inside 60 seconds when i popped behind an island never knowing they were there. Poor things got me for 5k hp while i harvested 60k on them. But that is kinda tricky playstyle, if they had a single bb in backup i would be dead before i could get first salvo off. So getting into a knife fight is the problem. Once u get inside 8 km with 2/3 of ur hp yorck will make miracles. Stay far and spam he and u will hate the ship.

[IRQ]
Players
2,753 posts
6,638 battles

The strange thing about Yorck is that you're either a long-range HE spammer, or a short-range AP brawler. Mid range is kind of iffy, since it's too far for the AP to be really effective, and the HE isn't really any better than at long range. I don't find accuracy to be much of a problem, though.

On 18/11/2017 at 5:50 PM, CPL_Sivi said:

If u prefer ijn ca playstyle u will hate yorck.

I actually find that Yorck is the ship the most similar to Myoko. The guns are reasonably similar, and both are relatively tanky for cruisers (Yorck has good armour, and Myoko has good health). Myoko's got a wider turning radius but a faster rudder. Torp angles are far better in Yorck, but aren't nearly as powerful.

Players
159 posts
12,137 battles

I find that it doesnt work as a long range he spamer. For me atleast. Maybe someone else can get good results that way but not me. Shells r too slow so it feels that it takes forever to land them, dmg is much lower than jap he so i realy hate using it that way. Btw its boring me to death. I think that with yorck everything was designed for close combat. Armor, crazy AP potential, torps, agility.... now if i find a crawlin bb at long range with 15% hp i will go for he spam to finish him off but most fun i find in jumpin at bbs behind island and take them down in 20 secs no matter how much hp they have. Thats why i love yorck. I cant do that with myoko not even fiji. Myoko has bad torp angles and fiji has a tendency to die as soon as its spotted. Never the less yorck is a hard ship to play. Crazy hard. But those handfull of brilliant games i had in it, made me fall in love.

[IRQ]
Players
2,753 posts
6,638 battles
On 04/12/2017 at 10:58 PM, CPL_Sivi said:

I find that it doesnt work as a long range he spamer. For me atleast. Maybe someone else can get good results that way but not me. Shells r too slow so it feels that it takes forever to land them, dmg is much lower than jap he so i realy hate using it that way. Btw its boring me to death. I think that with yorck everything was designed for close combat. Armor, crazy AP potential, torps, agility.... now if i find a crawlin bb at long range with 15% hp i will go for he spam to finish him off but most fun i find in jumpin at bbs behind island and take them down in 20 secs no matter how much hp they have. Thats why i love yorck. I cant do that with myoko not even fiji. Myoko has bad torp angles and fiji has a tendency to die as soon as its spotted. Never the less yorck is a hard ship to play. Crazy hard. But those handfull of brilliant games i had in it, made me fall in love.

I don't usually try much for the long-range HE spam, but it's acceptable while relocating, or in the beginning of the match for less risk. Or if you end up with very little HP left. And as I've found out, very powerful in cyclones, and can stand up surprisingly well against battleships with smaller guns.

I actually find Myoko a decent brawler. Sure, the torps don't go forward, but she's tanky and relatively agile. The guns aren't, but they hurt a lot.

Fiji you need to be sneaky in, but you're rewarded for aggressive gameplay.

Sign in to follow this