You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Airborne_Engineer

Manual fire control

27 comments in this topic

Players
10 posts
3,369 battles

Apologies if I am just dumb!  I can't get this to work at all? I try selecting the target (x key) on the one I want to hit yet even at v close range the secondaries just sit there doing nothing, please can someone help me out here and tell me what I am doing wrong (hopefully without trolling me :-) )

Many thanks

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
6,009 battles

As stated in the instructions, you have to control+click the target ship.

[TTT]
[TTT]
1,247 posts
12,636 battles

And again - total lack of any sort of materials explaining this sort of stuff. I even Googled to see what comes up and the result is a bunch of people asking roughly the same thing and getting answers from the community instead of it being an official game guide or something.

[DAVY]
Players
2,632 posts

Op, now you know how to do it be careful you remember to use it aswell :Smile_Default:  especially in a close shoot out with a few ships at once.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,263 posts
13,349 battles
4 hours ago, bushwacker001 said:

especially in a close shoot out with a few ships at once.

As he said OP, especially with friendly ship between you and the enemy during close range combat. Your secondaries might set him on fire, thus dealing friendly damage and repainting you pink in the process...

Edit: Seems I had some outdated (much) info. Issue had been fixed. Thanks for straightening that up!

5 hours ago, ForlornSailor said:

Good question. WG?

As McConway stated during one of the streams, people who want to learn, have access to CC and forum gurus... :Smile_facepalm:

Edit: In case of any doubt, I'm being sarcastic here...

All info should be easily accessible via game, people should not have to google basic info.

• Cool 2

[THROW]
[THROW]
Weekend Tester
992 posts
5,585 battles
1 hour ago, Airborne_Engineer said:

Apologies if I am just dumb!  I can't get this to work at all? I try selecting the target (x key) on the one I want to hit yet even at v close range the secondaries just sit there doing nothing, please can someone help me out here and tell me what I am doing wrong (hopefully without trolling me :-) )

Many thanks

Also, remember ctrl+click is your friend - it gives a flat 20% damage bonus to your AA guns as well if you select an enemy squadron (you can have one air and one ground target selected at the same time).

[DAVY]
Players
2,632 posts
1 minute ago, Skyllon said:

As he said OP, especially with friendly ship between you and the enemy during close range combat. Your secondaries might set him on fire, thus dealing friendly damage and repainting you pink in the process...

Yep, been there....and also forgot to use it down to 6k in a bismark in a confusing moment thinking I was in a different ship :)

[HABIT]
Beta Tester
1,568 posts
37 minutes ago, Skyllon said:

AFAIK secondary guns don't deal any damage to allies, neither do they set fires on allied ships for several patches now. Correct me if I am wrong but this piece of information is really outdated. This is one of the few things where WG actually listened to its playerbase.

Does the Ctrl+click tip show in the help menu which you can access by pressing F1 in battle?

[TTT]
[TTT]
1,247 posts
12,636 battles
39 minutes ago, Skyllon said:

As McConway stated during one of the streams, people who want to learn, have access to CC and forum gurus... :Smile_facepalm:

Seriously? If MrConway stated it, it must be true, right?

Would you consider iChase a good source of information (I would to a certain extent)? He's not a Community Contributor anymore, for example. Neither is Jingles. And on the topic of Jingles, he's very entertaining but I wouldn't trust everything he says and he was a CC.

And then I couldn't find a single video detailing manual fire control. If there is one and it doesn't show up when googling then it's like it's not there.

Also where is this list with Community Contributors? I found a list from 2015 that seems to be out of date. 

So no, community contributors are not really an answer.

And as far as the forums, who is a guru? Like when asking a question here, how do you know you're getting the right answer? I've seen so many totally wrong answers that I've lost count. I wouldn't trust random opinions on any game forum. The most reliable source of information on the forums are the supertesters. And even they get it wrong occasionally. And for example, in this thread, we don't have a single supertester answering. It's not their job anyway.

That's even assuming you know what a supertester is. If I was new to the game, I am not sure that information is readily available like say a list of what those titles mean.

So no, the forums aren't really an answer either.

And the fact that we keep having people come to the forum to ask stuff all the time, means that they were unable to find this information readily available. 

We need tutorials. We need to have all this explained clearly. This game has quite a few complex aspects (like penetration, armor angling, spotting mechanics etc.) that are not simple to understand. What's more, you need to know that they exist in the first place. Like you need to be told that the reason why your HE didn't do any damage was because it didn't penetrate the target's armor. And then HE penetration is 1/6 of your caliber... or 1/4.

And there is actually a really good article on the Wiki on this. Just that the Wiki is not mentioned anywhere on the site. Or at least not prominently. 

So no, despite MrConway stating it, it's simply not true. The game is not well explained and it's difficult to find information.

The solution is to have links to the Wiki on both the main site and the forum and expanding on the articles and keeping them up to date. And have a couple of tutorial videos explaining armor angling and smoke mechanics.

For example the Secondary Armament topic is empty.

• Cool 1

Players
4,527 posts
8,218 battles
3 minutes ago, Teob_VG said:

So no, community contributors are not really an answer.

Absolutly agree. There is a huge difference between offical sources and the community, no matter how helpful offical forums, youtube and other sources might be.

Players
10 posts
3,369 battles

WG please can you supply the correct and full list of commands in a downloadable file so we can easily understand how to master the game rather than relying on hearsay  or trial and error, this is not a big ask as there must be one and it should be easily available and is clearly in your remit to do so.

Many thanks

[SCRUB]
Players
2,263 posts
13,349 battles
13 minutes ago, Tungstonid said:

AFAIK secondary guns don't deal any damage to allies, neither do they set fires on allied ships for several patches now. Correct me if I am wrong but this piece of information is really outdated. This is one of the few things where WG actually listened to its playerbase.

That's good to know. Thanks for the update. :Smile_great:

14 minutes ago, Teob_VG said:

Seriously? If MrConway stated it, it must be true, right?

I think you missunderstood me. I was being sarcastic.

All crucial information should be readily accessible in the game. Player's should not have to search all over internet for basic information.

[TTT]
[TTT]
1,247 posts
12,636 battles
4 minutes ago, Skyllon said:

I think you missunderstood me. I was being sarcastic.

All crucial information should be readily accessible in the game. Player's should not have to search all over internet for basic information.

Apologies then. That particular bit of sarcasm went right over my head.

I have seen people argue that all the information is available. Which is a stance I emphatically disagree with.

[T-N-T]
Weekend Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
4,927 posts
10,641 battles
2 hours ago, Teob_VG said:

And again - total lack of any sort of materials explaining this sort of stuff. I even Googled to see what comes up and the result is a bunch of people asking roughly the same thing and getting answers from the community instead of it being an official game guide or something.

ehm your google-fu is really weak because it was the first link from the google search 

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=manual+secondaries+wows+wiki

and there is text (even with some red part) :

This doesn't mean manual aim. It improves the accuracy of the secondary battery by decreasing their dispersion, but requires the player to manually select a target by holding down CTRL and left-clicking on it. With this skill, the secondaries will not fire at all without manual target selection.

[TTT]
[TTT]
1,247 posts
12,636 battles
6 minutes ago, Sigimundus said:

ehm your google-fu is really weak because it was the first link from the google search 

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=manual+secondaries+wows+wiki

and there is text (even with some red part) :

This doesn't mean manual aim. It improves the accuracy of the secondary battery by decreasing their dispersion, but requires the player to manually select a target by holding down CTRL and left-clicking on it. With this skill, the secondaries will not fire at all without manual target selection.

No, my result look like this (with the kii as the first result):

45TtFeU.png

Also, like I said, this implies that you know there is a wiki. And you'll notice that the result is in commander skills, not in an article by itself. Also, like I pointed out, when you click on the secondaries article, it's empty.

A much better representation of the search a normal player would do is this:

yT6OK4H.png

That doesn't yield any official results. Not even the wiki.

But hey you tried to be clever, right? You even did the whole "let me google that for you" despite me clearly stating that I googled it. 

Players
10 posts
3,369 battles

CTRL+Click even when I used X to select the ship doesnt work... totally crappy explanation and CTRL as default makes mouse cursor appear... There really needs to be a better explanation and it needs to be an option in commands (where it is NOT listed in the game controls within the game!).. it is stupid that its not listed and you have to hunt high and low and it doesnt work properly

[TTT]
[TTT]
1,247 posts
12,636 battles
6 minutes ago, Airborne_Engineer said:

CTRL+Click even when I used X to select the ship doesnt work... totally crappy explanation and CTRL as default makes mouse cursor appear... There really needs to be a better explanation and it needs to be an option in commands (where it is NOT listed in the game controls within the game!).. it is stupid that its not listed and you have to hunt high and low and it doesnt work properly

That's how it works. You press CTRL, your cursor appears and then you left click a ship to select it for your secondaries. You don't need to press X or anything.

Edit: You keep CTRL pressed btw. You don't need to have your aiming reticle on the target.

Edited by Teob_VG
  • Cool 2

[CR-S]
Players
555 posts
3 hours ago, Airborne_Engineer said:

Apologies if I am just dumb!

No, you are not! It seems like WG wants us to try the game out, and if we like it we will look for tips and infos. The one who doesn´t bother to look things up will leave sooner or later anyway. You are here, so you are on the right path!

BTW: i think the Youtuber Flamu is a good source to learn. He is somewhat cocky and arrogant but he explains very well why he does this or that move...

1 hour ago, Skyllon said:

Your secondaries might set him on fire, thus dealing friendly damage and repainting you pink in the process

I can say with confidence that this can not happen anymore :Smile_smile:

Around April/Mai 2016 when Warspite was THE secondary-monster that the Bismarck is today, i had a clash with wows-support because of this. My Warspite´s secondaries did some serious damage to several ships on the same day - despite team-damage by secondaries being allegedly impossible.

This went on and on > WG claimed "this can not be" > i provided screenshots and demanded refund > and suddenly the very next patch contained the info that "from now on secondaries will not open fire if there is the slightest possibility to hit allies". That was a very fast fix if you ask me :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[T-N-T]
Weekend Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
4,927 posts
10,641 battles
Spoiler
42 minutes ago, Teob_VG said:

No, my result look like this (with the kii as the first result):

45TtFeU.png

Also, like I said, this implies that you know there is a wiki. And you'll notice that the result is in commander skills, not in an article by itself. Also, like I pointed out, when you click on the secondaries article, it's empty.

A much better representation of the search a normal player would do is this:

yT6OK4H.png

That doesn't yield any official results. Not even the wiki.

But hey you tried to be clever, right? You even did the whole "let me google that for you" despite me clearly stating that I googled it. 

Then you have different google them me

vcXIz5E.png

"implies that you know there is a wiki." - Ehm in our digital age where everything is on the internet and every stupid thing has its own wiki page you suggest that there is someone who is not aware of possibility that WoWs has the wiki?  I think everyone with basic skills with PC should be able to found information on dedicated wiki page.