Customer Support Maintenance Read more... ×
Caughtintherain

Capping mechanics

5 comments in this topic

Question

Players
231 posts
4,857 battles

Hey, I've recently started playing again and the capping mechanic seems to have changed. Previously in standard mode if ship A was 60 seconds in to a cap on the enemy base, then ship B moved on to the base, ship A could move off and ship B would retain the accrued cap time. This no longer seems to be the case and I'd like to check my understanding of the current capping meta.

Capping is now linked to the individual, the first allied ship to reach 180 seconds without disruption on the enemy base causes the base to be capped. Having more than one ship on the enemy cap does not have any effect on the speed of the cap timer for any individual ship. If ship A is at 60 seconds of capping, ship B is at 40 seconds, ship A being disrupted by taking a shell causes ship A to revert to 30 seconds of capping but this has no effect on ship B, which remains at 40 seconds. So having a BB on the cap blasting away will not affect the hidden DD which is capping from behind an island, I have no reason to avoid the enemy base if I'm in a big juicy target. The first individual ship to reach 180 seconds in standard will cap the base.

Is this correct? The wiki still says that multiple ships on a cap increase capture rate, I also can't see any information about the timer being linked to the individual ship but I've experienced this myself and was informed in game that it's a recent change.

If I'm way off I'd appreciate a more thorough explanation of how capping works.

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,439 battles

2 ships cap faster than 1, any more don't increase the capping speed.

Spoiler

Domination

• 1 ship = 60s
  • 2 or more ships = 40s

Standard

• 1 ship = 180s
  • 2 or more ships = 120s

Points are distributed equally between ships in the cap

Spoiler

1 ship in cap

• each tic (1 sec) ship A gets 1 cap point

2 ships in cap

• each ship gets a point every 2nd tic
  1. tic  -> A1
  2. tic -> A1 B1
  3. tic -> A2 B1
  4. tic -> A2 B2
  5. and so on

3 or more ships

• same as with 2, goes around one tic at a time
  1. tic -> A1
  2. tic -> A1 B1
  3. tic -> A1 B1 C1
  4. tic -> A2 B1 C1
  5. and so on

Resetting one ship (or ship leaving the cap) resets (or partially resets) only that ships progress

Spoiler
  • Domination, 2 ships in cap, 40s cap time
  • A has 15s on it, B has 8s on it.
  • Total time currently = 23s
  1. A gets partially reset, 5s left on it. Total time = 13s
  2. B leaves the cap.Total time = Whatever the A has, B doesn't have any anymore

Ships have never been able to keep allied cap progress if they leave the cap.

Yes, one ship can cap while some other ship in the crap gets beaten up. Just remember that 1 hit on you can be enough to reset whole progress, you don't really want to rush through the enemy team to try and cap it as soon as the game starts (talking of standard there, in domination you kind of want to have at least 2 caps for your team).

• Cool 1

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
12,480 battles

My current knowledge is:

Two ships cap faster than one ship, but more than two won't cap faster than two.

Each ship generates cap point(s) every second. When the ships in the cap together have the needed amount of cap points accumulated, the cap is capped. If a ship gets hit, it will lose some of its cap points (depending on the number of hits) but it won't affect other ships in the cap.

So if two ships cap and one of them gets resetted permanently, it will take as long as one ship alone would need to cap.

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
19,970 posts
12,420 battles

You could never take over cap progress from an ally in standard mode. If an ally leaves before completing the cap, the cap progress is lost.

Capping with two ships speeds up the cap progress.

• Cool 1