Gearing - Skills and upgrades

19 comments in this topic

[HHRHA]
[HHRHA]
Players
145 posts
9,735 battles

Hi!

She's not a simple ship, I made many rebuild, my last is a hybrid one.

- fastest torpedo speed, shorter range

- mid torpedo reload (without skill) 

- mid main battery reload (without reload upgrade)

- adrenaline rush boost

My main target is an universal combination what is useful almost in all situation and maximize potential damage. What's your opinion?

shot-17.10.30_21.06.15-0672.jpg

shot-17.10.30_21.06.22-0185.jpg

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,439 posts
13,843 battles

Full gun (sans AFT)

Spoiler

World_of_Warships_Screenshot_2017.10.30_

Because being able to burst down any DD in a knife fight is fun. :Smile_trollface:

[HHRHA]
[HHRHA]
Players
145 posts
9,735 battles

That's right, but 136 sec torpedo reload is not the best...:cap_hmm:

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,439 posts
13,843 battles

If I wanted to torp I'd take out my Fletcher instead anyway.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,131 posts
11,675 battles
1 hour ago, El2aZeR said:

If I wanted to torp I'd take out my Fletcher instead anyway.

I've gone full torpedo in Gearing, can actually hammer the reload down to something like 104s and the torps do 71 knots with a 13km range.

Arguably if Fletcher got the Torp Acceleration Booster her torps would be less effective as it would put you into yolo range early game when all the radar ships haven't been nuked yet. Also Fletcher captain has my Sims Ranked captain in it so she's more general purpose DD and not supertorpbote™

This works for me as the guns are good enough anyway IMO.

Players
944 posts
5,328 battles
13 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Full gun (sans AFT)

Reveal hidden contents

Because being able to burst down any DD in a knife fight is fun. :Smile_trollface:

Dodging torpedoes is a nightmare compared to Fletcher, i found. Don't feel comfortable rushing the enemy in a cap. .

OP don't use smoke screen expert with current changes to smoke. Superintendent can even be dropped now.

[AXIS]
Players
1,091 posts
2,419 battles

Generally looks good. You have selected Smoke Screen Expert and Superintendent. In my opinion these abilities are not really the most effective anymore. I suspect you have selected these to assist the team as best as possible by creating a massive smoke cloud as much as possible. With the current game mechanics I don't really see the use of that anymore. Allies can't use it as well as they used to. So it might be better to dump these points into something else.

[LEWD]
Beta Tester
72 posts
8,499 battles

Nobody mentioning his use of Speed Boost mod and therefore likeliky Speed Boost consumable?

On any DD that could possibly mount Defensive AA consumable you want to mount it. And to make it more effective you want AA Range mod in slot 2 aswell.

Players
1,510 posts
10,542 battles

Been wondering myself what people run on her.

Recently bought the permanent camo (my first TX perm camo) because USN dds were and are my favorite line. Currently a 14 point captain in my gearing:

1: Priority target

2: Last stand

3: Superintendant (might be worth dropping now, but I love lighting BBs up after hitting torps so still very good)

4: CE and RPF

Next skills: Randoms: prolly AR and Torp reload - if playing CW or ranked: SE.

- I'm curious why none of you run RPF on her.

Knowing which direction will likely get you detected is such a huge plus - positioning, preemptive torps etc.

Also great for chasing down dds.

- Been in two minds whether to run full gun dpm or full torp reload.

Gearing imo has the best torp range in the game with a terrible reload.

Since most dd engagements are decided by the BrainlessBoats AP volleys I've decided on torps. 

[PRAVD]
Players
1,106 posts
5,601 battles

I use this one.

I don't know if it's the build or my playstyle, and if the latter what I'm doing wrong. In every US DD from Mahan and up I have a good winrate, but somehow I keep losing in Gearing (46,6% atm, with 103 battles).

:Smile_sad:

Players
1,510 posts
10,542 battles
1 hour ago, Robber_Baron said:

I use this one.

I don't know if it's the build or my playstyle, and if the latter what I'm doing wrong. In every US DD from Mahan and up I have a good winrate, but somehow I keep losing in Gearing (46,6% atm, with 103 battles).

Could be a random jinxed ship as your stats arent that bad, but it could also be adapting to the Gearing from previous dds.

From your stats comparing gearing to fletcher: Overall KDA and survival is worse and dmg is a bit better. For reference my survival rate is around 50% doing the same or slightly more dmg in both ships while yours is around 30% in the gearing and 40% in the fletcher.

Solo stats and ranked stats are a bit on the worse side although your avg winrate is better than mine :)

From the stats I would say you die a bit more often in the Gearing and contribute less before you die. 

Your captain perks are skewed in favor of gunfights, so do you per-chance have playstyle of going to fight other dds early in the game to help your division get a cap?

The gearing has worse maneuverability compared to the fletcher, also it takes more dmg because its so fat (ap more likely to do pen dmg). Lastly it has worse concealment.  Because of this, playing it like a fletcher likely means the ship takes more dmg faster, eg: overextending is easier and gets punished harder.

Strengths of the gearing is: long range torps (you dont have to enter detection range of other dds at launch) and improved gunpower (you can bury any dd under sheer DPM) means the gearing (as I see it) lends itself to a generally cautious and calculating playstyle: early game relying on torps, preserving hp and generally just blocking caps untill threats have been accounted for. Having accounted for all threats means you are more free to cap or look for positions of advantage where you can ambush red dds without taking incoming fire from a ton of enemy ships.

• Cool 1

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,439 posts
13,843 battles
3 hours ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

RPF can be substituted by good situational awareness. I can usually predict where an enemy DD is based on minimap/spotting information and experience, so I'd rather not waste 4 points on something that I will rarely need.

Players
1,510 posts
10,542 battles
1 hour ago, El2aZeR said:

RPF can be substituted by good situational awareness. I can usually predict where an enemy DD is based on minimap/spotting information and experience, so I'd rather not waste 4 points on something that I will rarely need.

That used to be my opinion too...but running it for 50 games, almost every game it will give additional information too.

It does not impact survival so much, but it certainly impacts dmg done and hp lost, saves one from dangerous situations like overextending without knowing you do. It's a stupidly powerful skill imo.

When you push a cap at the start and rpf points to another cap (enemy team lemmingtrains)

When you see a forming red lemmingtrain but rpf points at the current cap

When you see a spotted dd at 7 km and rpf points somewhere else

When you sail around an island with a known but unspotted ship, use rpf to track its movement.

When you block a cap but have not spotted a dd and torps are off cd 

or....when you torp a smokescreen

• Cool 1

[AXIS]
Players
1,091 posts
2,419 battles
6 hours ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

Been wondering myself what people run on her.

Recently bought the permanent camo (my first TX perm camo) because USN dds were and are my favorite line. Currently a 14 point captain in my gearing:

1: Priority target

2: Last stand

3: Superintendant (might be worth dropping now, but I love lighting BBs up after hitting torps so still very good)

4: CE and RPF

Next skills: Randoms: prolly AR and Torp reload - if playing CW or ranked: SE.

Knowing which direction will likely get you detected is such a huge plus - positioning, preemptive torps etc.

Also great for chasing down dds.

[...]

My Gearing captain (19pt) is the following : Priority Target, Preventive Maintenance, Torpedo Acceleration, Last Stand, Survivability Expert, Basic Firing Training, Demolition Expert, Concealment Expert.

I basically went with a gun focussed build with decreased torp range. I really dislike the 16,5km range. They tend to overshoot my target and I can end up killing friendlies. For my 10km torp range is optimal. So while I prefer using guns, I don't like the torp range. If I had no problem with the torp range, I would switch out TA with AR.

The reason why I do not go for RPF is because I tend to not be in a situation often where I think "Wish I had RPF now". I tend to know where to expect the enemy and I am rarely surprised. As such I tend to have acted in advance to be prepared for the enemies. At the start I might be surprised by RADAR cruisers or the Z52. But RPF won't give me this information either.
I prefer to have skills that will directly affect a knife fight situation.

That said, if you look at my Gearing stats, they suck quite a bit. Only about 45% winrate or something. Even though the rest of the USN DD line I have a 65% winrate.

• Cool 1

[MIRAI]
Players
1,125 posts
9,916 battles
6 hours ago, Robber_Baron said:

I use this one.

Exactly the same for me, I also didn't get it working so far. I tried different captain builds, yesterday I used the discount to switch to a build similar to yours except TAE and TA instead of BFT and AR.

[NED]
Players
4,201 posts
11,706 battles

This is my build for Gearing. I'm not saying it's THE build for a guaranteed victory but it's working the best for me. I found I'm the best in DD's with a torp build. Not much of a "smoke pewpewer" IMO it's a matter of taste OP. What is obvious is my choice for torp acceleration. With that perk I still have 13.2 km range, which is more than enough for me while the fishes go with 71 knots! And I must say my actual Gearing build is fully for CW. I take all prem consumables. Which I would have taken in Random as well.

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

Clipboard03.jpg

• Cool 1

[_KTM_]
Beta Tester
105 posts
7,062 battles

I'm using my Gearing with these captain skills ( i don't know on what to use the last 2 points tho ) . 

Why i don't use RPF( RL) mainly because it's a double edge sword ( sure it points to the closest enemy however he also knows there is someone close to him , making oblivious targets aware of your attempt to pray on them )
 And as said before , with enough situational awareness you can get the same result , so why not invest the points into something more useful . 

• Cool 1

[NED]
Players
4,201 posts
11,706 battles

Very good point @Spectre__ I chose this build after looking at it in Youtube users. I know it's a double cutting sword but it greatly helps me in anticipating the moves of the reds. And yes it's highly situational but I got a blind torp kill or tow out of it. And like I said: my style is more torp oriented rather then shooting. Most matches I either survive unscratched or I've been stomped to the bottom. When I derp up and let myself get spotted I'm usually in too much trouble to make it out in 1 piece. So Survivability expert would only delay my agony to the inevitable by a few seconds.

Anyway: whatever is working for you, keep it on I'd say.

[AXIS]
Players
1,091 posts
2,419 battles
27 minutes ago, Ferry_25 said:

Very good point @Spectre__ I chose this build after looking at it in Youtube users. I know it's a double cutting sword but it greatly helps me in anticipating the moves of the reds. And yes it's highly situational but I got a blind torp kill or tow out of it. And like I said: my style is more torp oriented rather then shooting. Most matches I either survive unscratched or I've been stomped to the bottom. When I derp up and let myself get spotted I'm usually in too much trouble to make it out in 1 piece. So Survivability expert would only delay my agony to the inevitable by a few seconds.

Anyway: whatever is working for you, keep it on I'd say.

Well, the good thing about the Gearing is that it is very flexible. And a lot of different playstyles can work with this little boat.

Sign in to follow this