You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MrConway

Halloween Stream - Your Questions

26 comments in this topic

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
2,729 posts
2,775 battles

As you might know we will be conducting a special Halloween stream tomorrow.

Please let us know if you have any burning questions you would like answered by Tuccy or our new overlord Lordofdroid.

You can of course also swing by Twitch and ask all your questions, but the likelihood for an in-depth answer is greater if the guys can prepare for them :Smile_medal:

Please also bear in mind that we will not necessarily be able to answer all posted questions to your satisfaction.

Players
4,001 posts
7,573 battles

Are you planning on playing with random players, you know like the usual CV players who've never played a CV game before?

Go on, I dare you, show off the game mode in its true form, no more than 3 players in your division, take pot luck with your CV from the random queue, what could possibly go wrong?

Also, would the mode not benefit from repeatable rewards rather than the maximum of 5 containers?  Most good players completed this on day 1 and have no incentive to play further, what's left in the queue is the worst players in the game making the mode almost unplayable.

• Cool 9

Modder, Supertester
1,257 posts
9,196 battles

First:

The NA Publishing Team said the following:

At the same time, we’re improving our engine to let mod-makers do their job & improve their mods using native engine methods.

I would like to know when we can expect those improvements? I'm not seeing any of them since 10 Months where the games ModAPI got even more restricted. So I wonder where those improved native engine methods are that your developers are working on.

Second:

Why are Halloween Camos locked behind the Haloween crates? Every "special" camoflauge (not premium ones) so far from events was obtainable while playing the game. And I basically mean every camo with this. Just look back at the Christmas Camos (Fuso etc.) and the Camos from the last event (Charles Martel etc,) or the Special Bismarck Camos. Why is it not possible to get a Halloween container for each 5 stars you get on the mission? (So that it makes sense to replay that missions...) So that people can choose to play for the halloween crates or buy them. We can only get 5 and then you have to be lucky to get whut you actually want. And I'm honestly not really a fan of this practice tbh.

Third:

Why did you not decide to connect a Steam Accounts with a WG ID?

I would have liked to use Steams Update service because I run steam basically permanently anyway...

• Cool 2

Players
1,001 posts
6,733 battles

A very nice idea, thank you.

My question is: has there been any thought about skill based matchmaking like TrueSkill which works in random teamgames? If so why was it decided against? If not, why not?

I will now wait for my chance on freebies during the stream

• Cool 1

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
2,729 posts
2,775 battles
1 hour ago, IsamuKondera said:

First:

I would like to know when we can expect those improvements? I'm not seeing any of them since 10 Months where the games ModAPI got even more restricted. So I wonder where those improved native engine methods are that your developers are working on.

I think the stream might be the wrong place for API questions, but I'll see if we can get some more information for you outside of that.

Beta Tester
4,603 posts
7,488 battles

- preliminary stats on Clanbattles EU

# of clans, # of players, # games, maybe ship stats

- where is the poll on primetime you announced via forum?

- why is Sub_Octavian seen on our foums more often than the official EU people?

- why should I ask you guys any game mechanic questions you cannot answer anyway?

• Cool 4

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
2,729 posts
2,775 battles

Thanks for these, please feel free to just ask additional questions during the stream tomorrow!

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
2,729 posts
2,775 battles

Just to clarify: I was here to see if you guys have any questions off the top of your head that we need to prepare for, I closed the thread because there is no more time prior to the stream tomorrow to dig into those questions.

We do encourage you to swing by and ask any questions you might have in Twitch chat tomorrow - questions posted here already have been noted.

See you there! :Smile_medal:

Thread opened for discussion.

[N0RSE]
Players
1,741 posts

What is your favorite tank destroyer? :Smile_great:

Oh, and any new news on BB AP against DD's and what will be done to get some control over the whole the BB overpopulation deal? :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 2

[QARTV]
Players
300 posts
3,401 battles

My only questions would be why you decided to give out a clan reward ship given that this is the test run and quite frankly very restricting in terms of participating? Follow up would be, will this ship be reused as a price in later clan battles and/or will such ships later be possible to purchase later but with same time restrictions as we have seen with certain ships?

Edit: Saw now that no more questions. Guess I`m :cap_book: today.

[WGP2W]
Players
748 posts
15,000 battles

Mechanics question. How exactly does splash radius and module damage work?

1) Is the splash radius determined by the caliber of the shell, or the damage number you can see in port? What would be some typical values for the radius in relation to a ship (is it the entire length of the ship, the size of the superstructure, the size of the bridge, etc?)

2) Does damage fall off with distance from impact, or is it uniform inside the splash radius?

3) Does the splash need line of sight from the point of impact to a module to damage it? Ie. Can a Conqueror hitting on the starborad side of a ship knock out AA guns on the port side?

4) How much damage does it take to break a typical module?

5) Do modules have armor? If yes, will this armor block splash damage from shells?

I ask because of the introduction of RN battleships and their knack for stripping a ship with supposedly strong AA entirely clean of its AA guns. I want to understand if I can protect myself in some way (short of avoiding fights against RN battleships) and if upgrades and commander skills improving module HP by "+X%" are worth it.

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
6,009 battles

Simple question:

Whe are you ging to hire someone that has the coding skills to have functioning chats in port?

So far your trainees have been unable to produce one, how so?

[N0RSE]
Players
1,741 posts

One more question. Are you happy with Moskva having worse consealment than EVERY BB at T10? Should not the Moskva have Yamatolike firepower since it has worse conseament than it? Do not like the way you have to play the Moskva after the smoke changes. Avoid caps until late game, if not you get deleted by one of the 5!!! BBs on the enemy team that outspot you. 

I can only imagine how plays is in the hands of a bad player. Unforgiving, squishy(Yes it is), Long range HE/AP spammer with radar? Does not make any sense. :Smile_honoring:

[SCRUB]
Players
2,263 posts
13,349 battles

Questions... Just a few from the top of my head...

- Any plans on redesigning reporting system, at least so people reported for chat abuse would be able to use both "Clan" and "Division" chats?

- And since we are on the chat... Any plans on fixing it? It's constant crashes and disconnections should be voice of the past finally...

- How is DD overpen rework going?

- Any plans on redesigning Karma system?

- Maybe something regarding "Collectors Club"?

[PMI]
Players
240 posts
124 battles
31 minutes ago, PietroMaximoffTR said:

noone asked ranked season? :/

No ranked untill CW are done with, and that is not even news any more...

Players
64 posts
5,560 battles
7 minutes ago, juanxmar said:

No ranked untill CW are done with, and that is not even news any more...

Are you sure? 

"""[–]Sub_Octavian 4 points 13 days ago 

Ranked battles seasons will continue. We're aiming to have one pretty soon (this year) :) However, we will try to avoid overlapping big activities like Ranked and CvC - because the playerbase of these modes seem to be not entirely different."""""

source:

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
6,009 battles
33 minutes ago, PietroMaximoffTR said:

Are you sure? 

"""[–]Sub_Octavian 4 points 13 days ago 

Ranked battles seasons will continue. We're aiming to have one pretty soon (this year) :) However, we will try to avoid overlapping big activities like Ranked and CvC - because the playerbase of these modes seem to be not entirely different."""""

source:

Since the current CB season is running till another month and 19 days, and they stated they dont want to overlap them, cant really see how are they going to pull it, but hey, trust suboctavian, every WG employee has truly been to be trusted...

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
2,729 posts
2,775 battles

I hope you guys enjoyed the stream, I certainly had fun! 

I think that we managed to answer most of your questions, but one in particular that we needed to check up on was:

Will the Belfast be affected by the RNCL smoke changes?

• Answer: Yes!

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Community, Alpha Tester
3,457 posts
7,531 battles

To add some of the more complex answers in text form as well :)

On 10/30/2017 at 5:14 PM, LilJumpa said:

- preliminary stats on Clanbattles EU

# of clans, # of players, # games, maybe ship stats

So far 1063 Clans - that equals some 15k players.

Ship stats are pretty interesting. First the rentals:

Most popular (15%) is Zao, with Shimakaze second on 8.3% and Kurfurst at 2.3%.

America is going strong as the most popular ships in each class are Montana (28.4% of BBs), Des Moines (21.1% of cruisers) and Gearing (31.8%). Least popular per category are Conqueror, Henri IV and Grozovoi.

Win rate wise, best average goes to Conqueror, Montana, Des Moines, , Henri IV, Hindenburg, Moskva, Zao, Gearing, Khabarovsk and Z-52.

- where is the poll on primetime you announced via forum?

It got delayed a bit by the need to check and fix the end of summer time - you can expect it this week.

- why is Sub_Octavian seen on our foums more often than the official EU people?

This is a neat example of confirmation bias :) Did actually the footwork and counted posts and sections yesterday, needless to say this perception is wrong - then again you have to keep in mind that 1. you cannot take only EN forum into account (even though even there everyone from the team posted more ;)), but also forums in other locations. And not only the "sexy" Q+A but also ton of regular posts (such as feedback gathering after every update and every test round).

- why should I ask you guys any game mechanic questions you cannot answer anyway?

Well you will see mechanic question answered right below - however also keep in mind that detailed mechanic questions may not be the best for stream Q+A as the answers tend to be long and not that interesting for bulk of the audience ;) 

On 10/31/2017 at 4:31 AM, Namolis said:

Mechanics question. How exactly does splash radius and module damage work?

1) Is the splash radius determined by the caliber of the shell, or the damage number you can see in port? What would be some typical values for the radius in relation to a ship (is it the entire length of the ship, the size of the superstructure, the size of the bridge, etc?)

2) Does damage fall off with distance from impact, or is it uniform inside the splash radius?

3) Does the splash need line of sight from the point of impact to a module to damage it? Ie. Can a Conqueror hitting on the starborad side of a ship knock out AA guns on the port side?

4) How much damage does it take to break a typical module?

5) Do modules have armor? If yes, will this armor block splash damage from shells?

I ask because of the introduction of RN battleships and their knack for stripping a ship with supposedly strong AA entirely clean of its AA guns. I want to understand if I can protect myself in some way (short of avoiding fights against RN battleships) and if upgrades and commander skills improving module HP by "+X%" are worth it.

1). It is calculated depending on the amount of explosives - the bigger/heavier – the better, but two shells of same caliber from different nations may be different.
2). The damage is uniform, not variable.
3). Splash does not need the LOS.
4). It depends on the module. An AA mount can be dead after one 6-inch shell hit, but it won’t break main BB turret;
5). Yes. They have regular, physical armor (just like the ship), and it is used for ballistics interaction – just like ship armor. And they also have splash protection, which is calculated based on physical armor – and it is used to reduce splash damage (can work as threshold and reduce damage up to zero – hence, you won’t detonate a BB magazine with a 5-inch HE).

On 10/30/2017 at 10:25 PM, Noobsplatter said:

My only questions would be why you decided to give out a clan reward ship given that this is the test run and quite frankly very restricting in terms of participating? Follow up would be, will this ship be reused as a price in later clan battles and/or will such ships later be possible to purchase later but with same time restrictions as we have seen with certain ships?

Edit: Saw now that no more questions. Guess I`m :cap_book: today.

Any end game content is restricting in terms of participation - however note that clans succeeding in the first Clan Battle season will not get the ship right away, it is working with the same principle as Flint and Black, so other clans will be able to catch up.
As for the "alternative means of distribution", no comment or now.

On 10/30/2017 at 7:35 PM, MortenTardo said:

What is your favorite tank destroyer? :Smile_great:

Oh, and any new news on BB AP against DD's and what will be done to get some control over the whole the BB overpopulation deal? :Smile_honoring:

1. Archer. The vehicle is just so weird...

2. The fix is getting tested alongside with more ballistic fixes - however as it is core gameplay mechanism, we want to be extra sure fixing this one will not break something else.

19 hours ago, Skyllon said:

Questions... Just a few from the top of my head...

- Any plans on redesigning reporting system, at least so people reported for chat abuse would be able to use both "Clan" and "Division" chats?

- And since we are on the chat... Any plans on fixing it? It's constant crashes and disconnections should be voice of the past finally...

- How is DD overpen rework going?

- Any plans on redesigning Karma system?

- Maybe something regarding "Collectors Club"?

Reports and karma... Working on improvements, however do not think we'll differentiate general chat and clan chat as far as sanctions go. Chat is still being worked on, unfortunately cannot tell when there will be the "ideal end state".

DD overpen - see above.

Collector club - We are looking into it, however no short term plans - we have other priorities (Steam launch, syncing up missions between the regions).

On 10/30/2017 at 4:57 PM, _Helmut_Kohl_ said:

Are you still working on a fix for the CV Interface? 

It is slow, laggy and sometimes does not recognize actions. 

We are working on changing the CVs pas such. Currently the dev team works on different prototypes and concepts, so sadly cannot really share more for the time being.

On 10/30/2017 at 4:16 PM, walter3kurtz said:

A very nice idea, thank you.

My question is: has there been any thought about skill based matchmaking like TrueSkill which works in random teamgames? If so why was it decided against? If not, why not?

I will now wait for my chance on freebies during the stream

Basically the core of the game are random PvP battles with quite a lot of players and we do not want to change it - it would play havoc on MM and on queue time, making the end result generally less comfortable for everyone. On the other hand we also offer modes where you are matched based on your position in the ladder, be it Ranked or, right now, Clan Battles.

On 10/30/2017 at 3:41 PM, AndyHill said:

When do we get to buy consumables bulk via the inventory?

With the current system of consumables we do not really plan bulk buy, at least not in a hurry. 

On 10/30/2017 at 3:04 PM, IsamuKondera said:

First:

Second:

Why are Halloween Camos locked behind the Haloween crates? Every "special" camoflauge (not premium ones) so far from events was obtainable while playing the game. And I basically mean every camo with this. Just look back at the Christmas Camos (Fuso etc.) and the Camos from the last event (Charles Martel etc,) or the Special Bismarck Camos. Why is it not possible to get a Halloween container for each 5 stars you get on the mission? (So that it makes sense to replay that missions...) So that people can choose to play for the halloween crates or buy them. We can only get 5 and then you have to be lucky to get whut you actually want. And I'm honestly not really a fan of this practice tbh.

Third:

Why did you not decide to connect a Steam Accounts with a WG ID?

I would have liked to use Steams Update service because I run steam basically permanently anyway...

1) We're working on more support for mods - however that needs first some roadblocks removed, you for example saw the latest trouble with Reshade mods. We want to clarify the rules and improve general communication with modders and API (Soon™), but first we need to finalize things. Stay tuned.

2) Because this is a different event. We have various ways how to spread special skins etc., we are using all of them, from mission chains to collections to containers - for the Halloween we have simply selected the latter.  In the future we may be looking into making them accessible by other means.

3) As already mentioned in other replies to this question, the WoWs was not designed as a multiplatform game so in the current state, we can relatively easily onboard new accounts created through steam, linking existing accounts would be difficult. Unfortunately that means you will not be able to use Steam update service, however we are also working on improving the Wargaming Game Center for better experience with regards to upgrades to our games.

19 hours ago, MortenTardo said:

One more question. Are you happy with Moskva having worse consealment than EVERY BB at T10? Should not the Moskva have Yamatolike firepower since it has worse conseament than it? Do not like the way you have to play the Moskva after the smoke changes. Avoid caps until late game, if not you get deleted by one of the 5!!! BBs on the enemy team that outspot you. 

I can only imagine how plays is in the hands of a bad player. Unforgiving, squishy(Yes it is), Long range HE/AP spammer with radar? Does not make any sense. :Smile_honoring:

Moskva does not seem to really suffer, in randoms or in Clan Battles. She has a large HP pool and big guns with good trajectory, the downside is the detectability - you need to use terrain cover and your allies smoke for approach, before opening fire (or stick to long range HE spam - that however does produce less results in the long run). And most Tier X cruisers are rather unforgiving - Moskva is hardly an exception in this sense.

In any case, hope that those of you who watched the stream did enjoy it - see you in the game!

• Cool 4

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
6,009 battles

So not going to get a programmer that can code chat windows I guess?

You mean you have the same issue mixing steam accounts as you have mixing WG accounts? We still dont have unified gold, even tho it was and still is stated as "share amongst all your DG games".