You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Tekacko

Just ragesold the Yugumo

40 comments in this topic

[TENGO]
Players
309 posts
6,003 battles

After 23 matches and 30 percent WR and almost smashing both my keyboard and monitor I finally did it. I am free and sane yet again.

Trash.png.fc01fc687d99522fc3dc1864adf645c7.png

Words can´t describe the spite and loathing I have for this piece of junk.

What was WG thinking when they "rebalanced" the IJN DDs?

First of all, unless I am willing to throw away 60k free EXP this junk is pretty much just an uptiered Kagero with a little bit faster torp reload. Really nice...

WG ofc gives one the illusion of choice between smoke and the TRB, but there really isn´t a choice to be made.

There is virtually 0 reason to run smoke. If running smoke, lets just compare it to the Fletcher (since I am looking for reason to pick this over it)

The Fletcher has:

Better torps (more AND better concealed)

Better guns

More HP

Better smoke

Def AA

Faster

Yugumo has:

Slightly better concealment.

Right, so smoke is obviously trash, so you can pretty much only pick the TRB.

This of course means you are at the CV´s mercy since trash AA.

And you can´t properly contest caps either.

So I guess if I pick the TRB then the torps are going to be the ship´s saving grace? Oh God no, by no means. They are pretty damn bad actually.

1.7km concealment? Really? So the "torpedoboat line" has the worst goddamn torps out of all the DDs?

I just can´t describe how horribly inconsistent those torps are. Had a match where I launched at a GK sailing in a straight line, yet he actually managed to turn into them when he spotted them and passed without taking a single hit...

This actually brings me to my biggest gripe... the torpedo spreads.

WHY ARE THEY SO GODDAMN HORRIBLE?

Why do there have to be BB sized gaps even when launching from 6km? Every goddamn potato only needs to turn into them, and will take MAYBE one hit. All the while I have to sit around for 90 seconds doing nothing (if I had smoke I could maybe smoke up and try to get a fire going...)

Seriously WG, is it so difficult to make those goddamn IJN DDs competitive?

Is it so difficult to buff the torp concealment to 1.2 - 1.3 km on all T8 - T10 IJN DDs? It really isn´t rocket science...

(I would also be really happy if the 20km Shima torps got removed, but I guess WG needs Doubloon/Free XP sinks...)

Rant off, burned 160k free XP and got the Shima, which I will maybe play after the torps get buffed. Fun times.

• Cool 4

Players
1,429 posts
14,798 battles

Mine works fine.

yugumo.thumb.PNG.39ef68a727055d3f2f74ebe2400c69d4.PNG

Give her some time, maybe you need to learn how to play her. I like to play mine with F3 torpedoes and with TRB instead of smoke lately.

• Cool 6

Players
1,674 posts
9,118 battles

Same reasons why I ragesold mine a few months ago.

If I ever were to rebuy it, I might just go for the gunboat spec...

[H_FAN]
Players
1,943 posts
22,516 battles

Never judge a ship stock, best is to have the necessary FreeXP for the upgrades. 

One thing have you forget , Yugumos (and IJNs) long range gunnery is far better. That is very good if you face a Fletcher that is lower health or when you kite away from it. Fletcher has difficulty hitting you while you have it far easier to land hits.

Some other stuff you write are more correct. But with top torps Yugumo is dangerous. And you need high level captain also (but we assume similar captain here).

• Cool 1

Players
3,593 posts
7,312 battles
1 hour ago, Tekacko said:

That the IJN DD are still the most played DD line in the game at pretty much all tiers.

[TENGO]
Players
309 posts
6,003 battles
8 minutes ago, Capra76 said:

That the IJN DD are still the most played DD line in the game at pretty much all tiers.

They also claim that the British BBs aren´t overperforming, so there´s that...

• Cool 9

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,404 posts
13,815 battles

Just get a Fletcher if you wanna play a torp boat. High tier IJN DDs are a lost cause and have been for some time.

• Cool 6

Players
3,593 posts
7,312 battles
1 hour ago, Tekacko said:

They also claim that the British BBs aren´t overperforming, so there´s that...

They're on somewhat stronger ground there.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
5,393 posts
8,725 battles

Edited

Edited by Asklepi0s
This post has been edited by the moderation team due to irrelevant remarks
  • Funny 1

[BTS]
Players
1,064 posts
4,867 battles

I'm having a similar problem with the Fletcher. The amount of XP to gather in order to reach the upgraded torps is insane, and the stock torps are useless. I'm not enjoying the ship at all (I prefer the Tashkent BY FAR) and keeping it only to join my clan mates in T X divisions. But I'm confident things will get better once I'll unlock the top torps (and maybe a counterskill for radar will be introduced).

[XODUS]
Players
736 posts
4,201 battles

I feel you on the Yugumo, without a doubt she is the worst T9 destroyer and unlike the Kagero which i love and kept with a 15pt (aka my Kamikaze) Captain once i have completed the grind to the Shima the Yugumo will be sold.

There is barely anything to make her special at T9 and i feel that the Kagero is just a tad more fun with the better concealment as the ability to sit at just outside of detection keeping an enemy DD spotted is so worth it. 

To be frank i am rust with the Fletcher as i never seem to have luck with that ship compared to the Benson (cannot score torp hits for the life of me, but i can with my jap DD's, RNG must just smile on my affair with the Kamikaze, especially yesterday when i got a Kraken on sub 100hp)

Players
961 posts
4,865 battles

Got no problem with IJN DDs, except the post patch hatsu. I doubt you will enjoy the Shima if you didn't like the Kagero and Yugumo. It offers less variety than both of those do. German bbs are an issue because of hydro, but the freddy and gk are still good targets due to their size.

Playing them well requires some intuition and good prediction, but then the torps are absolutely lethal (maybe a nerf for fletchers would be in order though).

Also, Gnirf is right when it comes to their guns, but you will have to master dodging and turning your ship to aim at the same time. 

I for one love the line. 

[CAIN]
Players
2,732 posts
10,858 battles

Have no issues with the Yugumo, it's a stealthy bugger and quite fun ( for me at least).

The only thing i'd improve on it is the gun reload and the turret traverse, other than that a good boat.

Players
944 posts
5,320 battles

Your rant is based on what exactly? Your stats are all above the norm except the winrate, but you only played 30 games. So are you blaming the ship or are you just blinded by rage because of losses?

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Players
534 posts
6,408 battles

I don't like DD's at 9 and 10. Always getting perma plane spot 1,2,3,4,5,6 deleted.. I'm sure there is something you can do about that but I've not figured out what it is yet..

Players
1,058 posts
7,676 battles

Protip: A BB is a bigger target when it is broadside on when compared to a bow on BB. Torps sent at a bow on BB are hopefuls and you cannot count on their success. You need patience with IJN DDs.

17 minutes ago, Dragnorak said:

I don't like DD's at 9 and 10. Always getting perma plane spot 1,2,3,4,5,6 deleted.. I'm sure there is something you can do about that but I've not figured out what it is yet..

You need to react to the planes and actively avoid detection. It is easier to avoid planes if the CV doesn't know where you are. Run into friendly AA cover and disappear behind friendly ships if the CV is actively permaspotting you and try to lose his track of your position. Even when spotting, many CVs like to keep their planes closer to their own fleet than the enemy fleet. The aircraft are an impassable obstacle for a IJN DD and sometimes you'll just have to drive around the plane wall. It is also good to know that you cannot sneak around the plane wall when located by enemy DD, as odds are that they are pinging your direction to the CV. Not all CVs play with their team, but if you're playing against one that does, then sneaking around when located is foolish.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
888 posts
8,163 battles
On 28/10/2017 at 7:46 PM, Tekacko said:

After 23 matches and 30 percent WR and almost smashing both my keyboard and monitor I finally did it. I am free and sane yet again.

Trash.png.fc01fc687d99522fc3dc1864adf645c7.png

Words can´t describe the spite and loathing I have for this piece of junk.

First of all, unless I am willing to throw away 60k free EXP this junk is pretty much just an uptiered Kagero with a little bit faster torp reload. Really nice...

WG ofc gives one the illusion of choice between smoke and the TRB, but there really isn´t a choice to be made.

There is virtually 0 reason to run smoke. If running smoke, lets just compare it to the Fletcher (since I am looking for reason to pick this over it)

The Fletcher has:

Better torps (more AND better concealed)

Better guns

More HP

Better smoke

Def AA

Faster

Yugumo has:

Slightly better concealment.

Right, so smoke is obviously trash, so you can pretty much only pick the TRB.

This of course means you are at the CV´s mercy since trash AA.

And you can´t properly contest caps either.

So I guess if I pick the TRB then the torps are going to be the ship´s saving grace? Oh God no, by no means. They are pretty damn bad actually.

1.7km concealment? Really? So the "torpedoboat line" has the worst goddamn torps out of all the DDs?

I just can´t describe how horribly inconsistent those torps are. Had a match where I launched at a GK sailing in a straight line, yet he actually managed to turn into them when he spotted them and passed without taking a single hit...

This actually brings me to my biggest gripe... the torpedo spreads.

WHY ARE THEY SO GODDAMN HORRIBLE?

Why do there have to be BB sized gaps even when launching from 6km? Every goddamn potato only needs to turn into them, and will take MAYBE one hit. All the while I have to sit around for 90 seconds doing nothing (if I had smoke I could maybe smoke up and try to get a fire going...)

Seriously WG, is it so difficult to make those goddamn IJN DDs competitive?

Is it so difficult to buff the torp concealment to 1.2 - 1.3 km on all T8 - T10 IJN DDs? It really isn´t rocket science...

(I would also be really happy if the 20km Shima torps got removed, but I guess WG needs Doubloon/Free XP sinks...)

Rant off, burned 160k free XP and got the Shima, which I will maybe play after the torps get buffed. Fun times.

Yugumo has a complete different playstyle than the Fletcher, comparing them is pointless really, Fletch wins in every category except stealth.

IJN DDs are difficult to play , however if you can stay undetected near your concealment range and spot for the team and use your torpedoes at relative short ranges and ONLY to ships coming towards you, you can make the ship workable.

But you can free xp it to the Shimakaze (you will probably be dissapointed as it is the same playstyle as the Yugumo).

I stick with US and German DDs, much fun to play.

And Khaba is also solid but it is not a DD really, more like a light cruisers on coke.

Cheers

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,207 posts
10,378 battles

I don't agree that the Yugumo is a bad DD.

I do agree that the Fletcher is better on (almost) every aspect.

• Funny 1

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
Beta Tester
1,222 posts
7,217 battles

thing is pal you do way better in the yugumo than the fletcher and surely its worth hanging onto as rng has gotta change and start and give you wins

I personally don't much like the jap dds as I like gunboat play style but my god those fletcher torps are epic and can see why anyone would prefer fletcher to yugumo and fletcher has more useful guns

[ITA]
[ITA]
Players
14 posts
14,454 battles

i grinded yugumo times ago trying to be useful with F3 torps.

Badly failed, my wr was something like 43% on something like 150 games.

Then the new captain skill, little buff to turret rotation and the 12km made him (according to me) one of the best dd ingame, better than shimikaze and fletcher, and my wr became a decent 52%.

I know to be a low average player, so almost everyone can get better result with the correct use and setup.

I win fairly often gunfight with Fletcher (yes, only 5.1 reload, but with far better accuracy and decent agility, and your underrated good CE that let you choose if fight or not), as a torpoat, really, 12 km torps with hudge damage and 87 sec reload are far better and effective than fletcher torps, whatever ppl keep saying in this forum.

Fletcher is better in short range gunfight and as utility for the team (because of smoke, bt still something you dont really use if you play solo in random like me). But don't unsestimate the "new" yugumo, you're doing a bad mistake.

• Cool 1

Players
1,429 posts
14,798 battles

Yes, IJN DDs win easily vs. stupid less skilled USN DD players, just turn away and kite him to death. Smart players will disengage and jump you later at close range. Against the totally non-biased Soviet/Russian DDs your torps are your best weapon, the speed of the F3s is dangerous even to DDs.

While the IJN guns are ok, I miss the huge alpha they used to have (with longer reloads). I would like to have a choice between fast reload & low damage and slow reload & more damage so everybody could choose the best gun for his play style.

• Cool 1

[DAVY]
Players
384 posts
5,349 battles

They are hit and miss ships in every sense. There will be games you simply won't be able to do well in, a dogged rpf pursuer or a well played coordinated CV will keep you off those big damage numbers and away from a fun and satisfying playstyle. You might be able to salvage something from these matches with patience late game, capping and picking off stragglers but it won't be fun and will often end in a loss as your team has to hold together long enough for you to still be ignored and your influence in those first 10 minutes will be limited to spotting, horse to water etc.

Hydro, planes of all types, radar and rpf all have to be taken into account and if more than 1 or 2 are present the odds are against you. Short of CVs and their multitasking mechanical issues an IJN dd is probably the hardest line to play in my book. An unwieldy glass cannon that in the right circumstances can be utterly devastating, but just as or if not more likely to shatter under even modest pressure.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
2,384 posts
7,744 battles

I see what Autobot means. At some point meta changed to radar-strong and F3's didn't really work well anymore, thus I also started to dislike Yugumo A LOT, but after recent changes, I've considered getting it back. Torpedoreloadbooster + 12km torps sounds like fun to me. Also 1.7km stealth is bad but not unplayable.

PS. Stay away from F3 or you'll just frustrate yourself to uninstall...

Players
14 posts
4,382 battles

I cannot say I am yet a master of the Yugumo, but I have had some great fun in this boat. I even find it significantly different to the Kagero, a boat I loved.  It plays very differently to the USN boats. I have a high level skipper with visibility just about as good as it gets.  I will admit that it is not up to much in open water environments - give me islands, lots of them!