Sign in to follow this  
Drunken_Jedi

Enterprise Appreciation Thread

42 comments in this topic

Players
849 posts
2,954 battles

Seeing as we have one thread dedicated to the beautiful Kaga (plz gib Akagi-senpai Wargaming!) I thought I'd kick off one for USS Enterprise...

No, not the one captained by Jean Luc Picard... :cap_tea:<-- Earl Grey... (hot).

I'm talking about CV6, the most decorated warship of World War II... at least for the US Navy. In Warships she recieved something of a mixed opinion, with her AP bombs being considered pretty meh by many for their lack of versatility. However, for randoms I feel she does exceptionally well and I haven't noticed her tier VII planes being that much of an issue. Her reserves could be a little better balanced, but if you're cautious and don't stray into AA aruas without good reason you typically do quite well for yourself.

Just now though, set a new damage record. 269,000, for a defeat. This continues my tradition of setting damage records on losses. First I had Atago with 184k, then Ranger with 196k. Last was Lexington with 209k. Enterprise just kicked the bar even higher. I have to say, the enemy CV was a total potato which helped matters imeasurably. I dropped my torpedo bombers on him and he didn't even activate defensive fire or use strafe. Was like kicking puppies. Left me to kill ALL of their BB's and a DD. This is after having a CTD at the start of the game losing me two minutes of strike potential which could have saved the game frankly. Finished second on overall XP, with seven kills under my belt.

Honestly this ship is now my favourite tier VIII CV. Shokaku is brilliant, and she is more versatile. But for sheer lul's deleting BB's (as a CL/CV main I take great pleasure in returning the favour from all those one shot deletions) with AP bombs and the actually not bad torpedo drop she takes the top spot. Plus she looks utterly stunning.

Interested to hear fellow CV players opinions of her. :cap_like:

Some screens of the results page:

shot-17_10.27_18_23.54-0795.thumb.jpg.65af557823e0aeec02e9af83c9515a2b.jpg

shot-17_10.27_18_23.56-0790.thumb.jpg.369bb7127c3c8ce55698984e2ded8669.jpg

shot-17_10.27_18_24.00-0021.thumb.jpg.d34d3e11e301aa03db4ded2239f0cc25.jpg

shot-17_10.27_18_24.04-0604.thumb.jpg.fa3b72303919ab48527c539a548a4e23.jpg

Players
757 posts
3,227 battles
1 minute ago, Drunken_Jedi said:

I haven't noticed her tier VII planes being that much of an issue.

It isnt an Issue if youre using the Upgrade which increases their HP. Those planes are actually REALLY beefy.

2 minutes ago, Drunken_Jedi said:

In Warships she recieved something of a mixed opinion, with her AP bombs being considered pretty meh by many for their lack of versatility.

Those AP Bombs are the BANE of existance for the German Battleships. Reall powerful against them

Players
849 posts
2,954 battles

Warspite and Queen Elizabeth doesn't fair well either lol. Bayerns though, those things are nearly immune to them. I've done manual drops in the training room, just to establish which targets are more suited to them. Bayern takes about 4-5k damage from a full drop, seems to be very resiliant to them.

Bismarck and Tirpitz though, lol... *poof*.

Players
757 posts
3,227 battles
1 hour ago, Drunken_Jedi said:

Warspite and Queen Elizabeth doesn't fair well either lol. Bayerns though, those things are nearly immune to them. I've done manual drops in the training room, just to establish which targets are more suited to them. Bayern takes about 4-5k damage from a full drop, seems to be very resiliant to them.

Bismarck and Tirpitz though, lol... *poof*.

Hitler in His Bunker with his Officers

Krebs- Mein Fuhrer We lost Battleship Bismarck

Hitler- Its fine We have Tirpitz

Krebs- We lost her too

Hitler- HOW? WHO CAN DEFEAT MY STRONGEST BATTLESHIPS

Krebs- Something about an aircraft carrier....

Hitler- Those damn.......... *Lots of Ranting*

Big E AP bombers over bunker. 

Head of the squad- Whats that sound down there, all Bombers Dive on it, It could be a ship.

*Sounds of Bombs*

TO BE CONTINUED

This was filmed in an alternate universe where Big E was alive and The Axis were winning

Players
849 posts
2,954 battles
1 hour ago, aidenthedestroyer said:

Hitler in His Bunker with his Officers

Krebs- Mein Fuhrer We lost Battleship Bismarck

Hitler- Its fine We have Tirpitz

Krebs- We lost her too

Hitler- HOW? WHO CAN DEFEAT MY STRONGEST BATTLESHIPS

Krebs- Something about an aircraft carrier....

Hitler- Those damn.......... *Lots of Ranting*

Big E AP bombers over bunker. 

Head of the squad- Whats that sound down there, all Bombers Dive on it, It could be a ship.

*Sounds of Bombs*

TO BE CONTINUED

This was filmed in an alternate universe where Big E was alive and The Axis were winning

That really needs a meme vid of the Downfall scene from the bunker, when Hitler says "what happened to them?" it snaps to WoWS with Enterprise one shotting full HP Tirpitz/Bismarck with AP bombs lmao.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,117 posts
11,654 battles

Couldn't be bothered to wait until Xmas or whenever for a discount so I helped myself to the Grey Ghost...

To sum her up she's basically an American Shokaku with a few differences here and there. 

Those differences have been covered to death by others so I'm not repeating it here, but I will say.

Do not buy the Enterprise if you have low aircraft carrier experience.

At T8 the MM takes no prisoners and you really need to know what you're doing. 

Only thing I've found so far is that the designated targets don't often take massive damage from me, most I've had is 20k in 1 DB run on a Bismarck. Should I try and manual drop as the targeting marker is barely smaller than auto drops??

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,414 posts
13,826 battles
33 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

Should I try and manual drop as the targeting marker is barely smaller than auto drops??

Yeah, I recommend it. I almost never auto-drop, really. Manual drop is barely larger than a Bismarck's citadel, so you're almost guaranteed good damage totals unless RNGesus seriously screws you over.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,117 posts
11,654 battles
16 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Yeah, I recommend it. I almost never auto-drop, really. Manual drop is barely larger than a Bismarck's citadel, so you're almost guaranteed good damage totals unless RNGesus seriously screws you over.

Ah thanks, I'll give it a go tomorrow. LWM from NA forum reviewed the ship and recommended Auto Drops but I guess the difference in the targeting marker makes all the difference. She isn't a dedicated CV player so probably hasn't done the testing that some here have done.

Players
757 posts
3,227 battles
13 hours ago, Drunken_Jedi said:

That really needs a meme vid of the Downfall scene from the bunker, when Hitler says "what happened to them?" it snaps to WoWS with Enterprise one shotting full HP Tirpitz/Bismarck with AP bombs lmao.

lol yea to bad I dont have her nor teh editing skills :P

Players
849 posts
2,954 battles

Sadly me neither, although I could probably learn in not too much time. I've actually wanted to get into video editing and uploading to Youtube for a while but my potato internet would have other ideas. I can make 0.3mbps upload... it would be utterly painful uploading 1080p video to Youtube!

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,117 posts
11,654 battles

I'm using both Shokaku and Enterprise pretty extensively at the moment. 

Enterprise is easier to play, probably 75% of MM is on hostile AA environments. Therefore most games end up being protracted defensive fighter battles. For that Enterprise is far more forgiving that Shokaku due to larger reserves and a larger squadron size although beware the rearm times where you can be caught with your pants down.

Shokaku can do the DB no payload trolling scout which can be like having a lol maphack. Since a large chunk of players are BB campers who believe 20km sniping is effective, spotting a CV at the back often leads to it taking a lot of incoming which can help you out. Also a surprisingly large amount of CVs will chase the dive bomber around the map whilst you bomb their front lines.

I've still yet to land a AP Bomb citadel however :Smile_sad:

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,481 posts
7,965 battles

The Enterprise is easily my favorite CV.

Kaga has her moments, but she's more vulnerable to high tiers and competent enemy CVs.

Saipan I find quite boring to be honest.

On 10/30/2017 at 6:56 PM, Negativvv said:

I've still yet to land a AP Bomb citadel however :Smile_sad:

Pretty sure you don't get citadel ribbons when you get citadel penetrations with AP bombs.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,117 posts
11,654 battles
3 hours ago, Nechrom said:

The Enterprise is easily my favorite CV.

Kaga has her moments, but she's more vulnerable to high tiers and competent enemy CVs.

Saipan I find quite boring to be honest.

Pretty sure you don't get citadel ribbons when you get citadel penetrations with AP bombs.

Kaga's 2 T6 fighters are awful when faced with good opposition yes, almost makes me regret buying her as some MMs can leave you completely helpless...

I think the most I've got out of one AP bomb DB is about 20k. Thought I saw citadel strikes with YouTubers playing although that might have been WiP.

Enterprise may not kill DDs easily but it doesn't seem to matter too much at higher tiers as so many have radar etc

The only bad game I've really had so far is vs a Sho with 2 BB AA buddies and AS. There is literally nothing you can do vs 3xFighters and big AA bubbles when they advance together...

Players
1,542 posts
6,477 battles

Interesting stuff...Hummm, i might partake in the Enterprise after all. Was gonna wait until the GZ got fixed then decided which is better and more fun to use.  I never have any problems when faced against the Enterprise, but the amount of fighters it has could be fun as well as the different torp pattern and AP bombs might mix it up for me. 

Been having a rest from CV's as I'm grinding other lines.  Hindy is a great ship :Smile_great:

German BBs (not By) is a given, but what other targets have good AP bomb results chaps?

I hate tier 8 MM and normally stay away from it.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,117 posts
11,654 battles
19 minutes ago, Redcap375 said:

Interesting stuff...Hummm, i might partake in the Enterprise after all. Was gonna wait until the GZ got fixed then decided which is better and more fun to use.  I never have any problems when faced against the Enterprise, but the amount of fighters it has could be fun as well as the different torp pattern and AP bombs might mix it up for me. 

Been having a rest from CV's as I'm grinding other lines.  Hindy is a great ship :Smile_great:

German BBs (not By) is a given, but what other targets have good AP bomb results chaps?

I hate tier 8 MM and normally stay away from it.

I doubt WG will fix GZ as all the incarnations seem to have been sub-par in some respects. Strike doesn't wash vs any CV with fighters as you're completely at the mercy of your team providing AA.

AP Bombs work against all BBs but the best results are against the Germans. Can get up to 10k vs other BBs I've found per DB squadron but they can also derp for very little. I've done acceptable damage vs Cruisers (like 3k or so) when there's no viable BBs to bomb. Also I've even killed a low hp DD, a few over pens can still finish someone lol...

The TBs aren't great but you can either  double them up or go for BBs and the results are fine since higher tier BBs are so long even a bad spread pattern will land you 2+ strikes.

I was bored and bought an Enteprise on a whim, you may wish to wait for GZ to finalise and Black Friday/Christmas maybe.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,117 posts
11,654 battles

Also the DB drop circle is literally designed for anti BB. It fits almost exactly inside a higher tier BB lol...

Remember you have +1 fighter over your IJN counter part and with all the fighter modules you're on par with HP too. Enterprise has less strike ability than a full Lex Strike deck but way more than 1/1/1 and AS, however in return you get a huge fighter reserve (I think it's 31). I think you're meant to be fairly aggressive with said fighters as vs the main opposition a 2/2/2 Sho you should hopefully win the fighter attrition war then can bomb freely late game.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,414 posts
13,826 battles
On 11/1/2017 at 1:08 PM, Negativvv said:

I think the most I've got out of one AP bomb DB is about 20k.

Just keep bombing Bismarcks, Gneisenaus and Scharns with her. You'll get that juicy oneshot eventually. :D

And yeah, you don't get citadel ribbons. Kinda sad, really.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,117 posts
11,654 battles

I'm finding vs the bigger German Fatties (GK&FdG) it's often not worth Manual Dropping as even the Auto Drop fits inside those ships.

Did 60k to an FdG with a combined torp and DB drop which was pretty nice.

Can cross drop DDs with the TB if things get desperate too. Even bombing DDs with the AP DB is worth trying in the absence of better targets...

80+ plus and 20+ plane kills seems to be enough for top 5 XP finishing unlike tech tree CVs.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,414 posts
13,826 battles

I almost always manual drop. Must be "muh elitism", as others would call it. :Smile_trollface:

In my experience AP bombs never get those huge damage numbers against higher tier KM BBs anyway, though.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,414 posts
13,826 battles

My friends,

I have caught a glimpse of heaven.

Spoiler

World_of_Warships_Screenshot_2017.11.05_

lolapbombs.png

If the new USN loadouts play like this but can reliably target all BBs with their AP bombs sign me right the [edited] up. :Smile_trollface:

Players
1,542 posts
6,477 battles

Nice one m8:Smile_great:

Although i have to point out that you are lucky that you had 4 German BBs in the enemy team with 2 of them being Tirps (pathetic AA). Plus you was top tier.

The enemy CV on the other hand had 2 Alabama (different deck armour, turning) and 1 Atlanta and even a sims :Smile_hiding: to contend with. Plus 3 of the enemy's top tier ship were your main targets poor gits.  :cap_rambo:

Don't wanna sound like a muppet and take anything away from you but i always look at battles from the other CV captains perspective.  Even when i do a 6-7 kill game in a Kaga its normally down to the right MM and ships in the game. 

But bloody good job killing 66 of his planes, you really owned him in the skies! Its not like he was crap and it looked like he put a fight up.  

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,117 posts
11,654 battles
45 minutes ago, Redcap375 said:

Don't wanna sound like a muppet and take anything away from you but i always look at battles from the other CV captains perspective.  Even when i do a 6-7 kill game in a Kaga its normally down to the right MM and ships in the game. 

@El2aZeR needs to stop sacrificing goats to feed his AP bomb addiction...

But that's the CV problem. MM often dictates how well you do as some games are simply no go with bombing but you can work harder than a 100k+ game simply by sheer micro and trying to protect your fleet; yet WG will reward you with awful XP gains.

I measure air control above damage output so I'm liking Enterprise. Won't get 2 fighters again until Midway which is a long way away...

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,414 posts
13,826 battles
6 hours ago, Negativvv said:

@El2aZeR needs to stop sacrificing goats to feed his AP bomb addiction...

Spoiler

World_of_Warships_Screenshot_2017.11.07_

Goats? What goats? :cap_haloween:

(Sadly the game ended before I could take full advantage of my BBaby tear makers, so I was only able to bomb 2 Bismarcks into oblivion.)

• Cool 2

Sign in to follow this