You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Cyclops_

HE or IFHE choice on a DD

11 comments in this topic

[OGHF]
Players
904 posts
14,794 battles

As per the title, as I am now trying to grind through IJN DD's should I go for HE or IFHE on my DD's???

Thanks in advance.

Players
1,010 posts
19,795 battles

Neither. IJN DDs are torpboats, don't waste skill points on guns.  Maximise torps damage.

Unless is Akizuki, where you need IFHE

[BLITZ]
Players
2,779 posts
10,269 battles

I wouldn't take any of those two.

Can you give us your commander build?

Suggestion (in that order)

Preventive Maintenance (1)

Last Stand (3)

Torpedo Armament Expertise (6)

Concealment Expert (10)

Adrenaline Rush (12)

Survivability Expert (15)

The remaining four points can be spent for some combination of Superintendent, Priority Target, Torpedo Acceleration (legit on some builds) and Radio Location.

• Cool 3

WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
12,541 battles

Don't do IFHE on DDs. The alpha damage is low anyway and you want to set fires to stack DOT together with your torps. If you shoot at all. IJN DDs have the best concealment and will rarely waste that advantage to hit a few shells.

Only exception being Akizuki and Harekaze with their 100mm guns as they need IFHE to pen DDs 19mm.

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,802 posts
9,033 battles

The only gunnery skill worth considering on an IJN DD is Expert Marksman and only after you've already picked Last Stand.

Akizuki is the only exception and should have her own special captain build.

[DUDES]
WoWs Wiki Team, WoWs Wiki Team
1,794 posts
15,285 battles

I might look at this completely wrong but I don't understand the question... :Smile_ohmy:

If you decide to use your guns you basically shoot HE every time (except in some rare cases). HE or IFHE are the same thing. I can only assume if you want to know if picking up IFHE for your captain is a valid option. Then: apart from the mentioned Akizuki it's not. The perk IFHE only alters some properties of a ship's HE shells, it's not a different shell type.

[BLITZ]
Players
2,779 posts
10,269 battles
15 minutes ago, Z_OnkelE said:

HE or IFHE are the same thing.

I assumed he meant DE, but good point! OP?

[MIRAI]
Players
1,476 posts
12,502 battles
54 minutes ago, Z_OnkelE said:

HE or IFHE are the same thing.

I think "HE or IFHE" means "HE shells without IFHE skill" or "HE shells with IFHE skill" in this case.

Players
7,871 posts
9,499 battles
4 hours ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

Don't do IFHE on DDs. The alpha damage is low anyway and you want to set fires to stack DOT together with your torps. If you shoot at all. IJN DDs have the best concealment and will rarely waste that advantage to hit a few shells.

Only exception being Akizuki and Harekaze with their 100mm guns as they need IFHE to pen DDs 19mm.

Low damage isn't an issue, low base penetration is. DD guns with IFHE all they gain is ability to damage plating up to 27mm, so tier 8 and 9 cruisers. Tier 10 is in most cases uprated to 30mm and you can't dent that no matter what. Battleships are out of question, unless you count tier 6-7 ones.