Sign in to follow this  
Nautical_Metaphor

I really, really wish I could play while updating

12 comments in this topic

Players
1,169 posts
9,151 battles

Guys, this is a cry for help from those nether regions of the web with low bandwidth.

There isn't much else to do out here most of the time and I'm truly grateful this gem of a game doesn't require much in the way of bandwidth as such. To play, I mean.

But the updates.

(And oh, the initial client download... don't get me started.)

Even downloading just the 100 Megabytes of Halloween Part II is gonna take half an hour. The main Halloween update took several. I already dread the post-Halloween update. Other games I just don't fancy any more since I came across WoWs. So I'm sitting there aching.

Maybe it's just me but is it really too much to ask to make the game playable and have the download merrily trickle along somewhere in the background?

[4_0_4]
Players
4,358 posts
10,737 battles

And who do you want to play against?

Every update changes stuff. How should it work that a client with old data fights someone with newer data? That's no possible.

You don't have a single player game here. In order to play this game, you'll have to have the same build as every other player around.

Players
1,169 posts
9,151 battles

I'd just play without the new stuff.

Life with Halloween for example, no Halloween operations until the update is finished. It doesn't affect random battles where you can't use the Halloween ships anyway.

I can't believe it would be a technical impossibility, at least not in all cases.

Some people even still have ships from the Beta, from testing etc that exist no more.

Or if all else fails, gimme an offline mode. Against a few bots. Whatever. Training room. There used to be whole offline games, you know? ;-)

[ADRIA]
Players
4,259 posts
6,795 battles
1 hour ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

Life with Halloween for example, no Halloween operations until the update is finished. It doesn't affect random battles where you can't use the Halloween ships anyway.

I can't believe it would be a technical impossibility, at least not in all cases.

Some people even still have ships from the Beta, from testing etc that exist no more.

Or if all else fails, gimme an offline mode. Against a few bots. Whatever. Training room. There used to be whole offline games, you know? ;-)

All the ship balance changes - on your end and on the 23 other people who play with you.

All the new ships - on your end and on the 23 other people who play with you.

All the map changes - on your end and on the 23 other people who play with you.

Should I continue?

[4_0_4]
Players
4,358 posts
10,737 battles
11 hours ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

Well, lets say a ship gets a concealment nerf, you don't have the update, you'll have a better ship then your enemies, since they're force to use the newer update?

Do you realize, why what you're asking for is impossible for a online multiplayer game?

Players
1,071 posts
8,209 battles
On 10/26/2017 at 6:47 PM, Nautical_Metaphor said:

Guys, this is a cry for help from those nether regions of the web with low bandwidth.

There isn't much else to do out here most of the time and I'm truly grateful this gem of a game doesn't require much in the way of bandwidth as such. To play, I mean.

But the updates.

If you have slow internet and can not upgrade it there are ways around it. WoWs does not need an installation to run which means, that you can copy the game folder on a laptop or even USB stick and update it there. I'm very sure that you have one of these options:

A) a friend with fast internet who let you quickly download the updates on your stick so you can copy them on your computer later

B) find an internet cafe, have a coffee and download the updates there on your USB stick

C) grab your laptop, roam the city and find an open WLAN and download it there

D) fast internet at work? great, update problem solved

There are many more options to get updates fast and easy. The key is, that all you need is the option to connect an USB stick to a computer with internet and run the WoWs launcher from the USB stick to trigger the update process. It's not that we still live in 1990 where private internet access was kinda rare. Fast internet, open WLAN, friends with broadband, and so on are omnipresent and everywhere available, you just need to think a little bit out of the box.

[WOWS]
Players
209 posts
12,144 battles

The best option for you, and WG for WG too:

Use the Wargaming.net game center. In it you have option to dowload the content of a game, while upgrading an other... JUST If you have slow internet, you have the bottleneck there, so if you want to play while downloading you will reach the ping/lag/etc territory... even if you play the same game wich updating... So the previous answer's options are the best as i see..

Players
1,169 posts
9,151 battles

I actually discovered you can disable the forced updates in the settings.

On 27.10.2017 at 1:26 PM, wilkatis_LV said:

All the ship balance changes - on your end and on the 23 other people who play with you.

All the new ships - on your end and on the 23 other people who play with you.

All the map changes - on your end and on the 23 other people who play with you.

Should I continue?

Map changes - ok. Gotta be on the same playing field or the whole group hallucination collapses.

Ship changes though don't really matter if you think about it. What's the problem? It's not an e-sport, it's a battle simulation. We all play against ships with different capabilities than our own every match and up until the update, everybody played the old ships. What do a few hours more or less matter? It would actually make it all more realistic, not knowing down to the last decimal what you're up against. All is fair in war ;-)

Players
1,169 posts
9,151 battles
On 29.10.2017 at 10:42 PM, ledgeri said:

Use the Wargaming.net game center.

Yeah I'm trying to avoid that because I'm not interested in any other games and (main reason) I seem to dimly recall that would prevent me from migrating the client to another computer somehow. How about that? Because tomorrow I'm building a dedicated gaming system. What files do I need to copy, specifically? Just the WOWs directory in the Games folder? No registry changes etc? There surely is a thread about that?

Regarding the upgrade issue, I noticed there are actually settings to tweak that should improve things:

You can disable automatic updating, download of upcoming updates, and update seeding, which must be something like a bit torrent.

wows1.jpg

wows2.jpg

[POMF]
Players
84 posts
5,803 battles
On 27/10/2017 at 10:53 AM, Nautical_Metaphor said:

Come on mate. Trolling is against forum rules.

Players
1,169 posts
9,151 battles
On 9.11.2017 at 11:23 AM, valoaa said:

Come on mate. Trolling is against forum rules.

I'm not trolling.

I really doubt it would be impossible, but even if all the ship changes needed to be implemented across all players before they can play because of shoddy programming or something - these are just sets of numbers in a database.

There is no way they can account for all these megabytes' and sometimes gigabytes' worth of updates.

So they could, like, mandate quick, low-volume "numerical values" updates but then let people play while the textures, images and what have you trickle away in the background.

The settings I mentioned in my previous post didn't seem to change anything btw.

[POMF]
Players
84 posts
5,803 battles
On 12/11/2017 at 5:15 PM, Nautical_Metaphor said:

I'm not trolling.

I really doubt it would be impossible, but even if all the ship changes needed to be implemented across all players before they can play because of shoddy programming or something - these are just sets of numbers in a database.

There is no way they can account for all these megabytes' and sometimes gigabytes' worth of updates.

So they could, like, mandate quick, low-volume "numerical values" updates but then let people play while the textures, images and what have you trickle away in the background.

The settings I mentioned in my previous post didn't seem to change anything btw.

imageproxy.jpg.thumb.jpg.f46edd7590c22b870c0fab837613dc31.jpg

imageproxy-1.jpg.jpg.3b20e640e971d25bc13b09274fe69e63.jpg

I advise you to deal with it mate. Usually I'd just ignore a reply as crazy as this, but you clearly have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

14572485_10153733638236755_90664451_o.jpg.jpg

Sign in to follow this