Sign in to follow this  
Drunken_Jedi

The Quest For 0 Karma

27 comments in this topic

Players
849 posts
2,954 battles

So... I decided to get Enterprise tonight. she's a ship I've had my eye on for quite some time but could never justify the cost of getting outright. However, the Admiral bundle of the Giulio Cesare had a lot of doubloons in it... and value wise it actually saved me in the long run to get that and buy her for doubloons.

I'm really liking her so far, although the strike reserves are utterly pitiful she does a good job maintaining air control over Shokaku... and God help an GZ Test ships that you find they're just irrelevant.

In fact, my third game in... I'd already lost one karma point somewhere along the line this evening... I dropped an Izumo who was sort of isolated from the fleet. First torpedo to hit him.... BOOM. *Fun and Engaging mechanics ensued*. He didn't like that. A little later, strafed all three bomber formations with one fighter squadron and wiped the entire package out. Denied the GZ Test II on the enemy team from making a single drop. Ended the game with aprox 100k (averaging 112k atm).

Get back to port, "you have been reported two times!". Karma is now 1.

So Ladies and Gentlemen. I'm guessing one good Saipan or Kaga game should do the trick right? I'd like to add that I barely said anything in chat for both of those games, nothing offensive at all... not even close. I even said sorry to the Izumo because we all know how fun it is getting detonated.

Anyone managed 0 karma yet? Also, your thoughts on Enterprise and which bombs you prefer? It's a hard toss up I've had very good damage results from them against BB's (which goes without saying) but I'm finding it quite difficult dropping DD's with that hideious torpedo pattern, which is where HE bombs might help a little more.

• Cool 1

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,875 posts
14,216 battles
On 7/3/2017 at 2:06 AM, El2aZeR said:

I got her for collection purposes (c'mon, it's the Enterprise!). Have to say I'm enjoying myself a lot more than I expected.

She still suffers from long service times like all USN CVs but her T7 planes are largely workable thanks to the strike plane HP upgrade. She does suffer from a limited target selection for her AP DBs barring any RNG, but her TB spread is... I don't know how to describe it. Most DDs seem unable to dodge it for some reason. I can usually guarantee a kill if I catch one out of position like with Shokaku. It's utterly worthless against capital ships, though, but that's where the DBs can make up for it.

I personally don't notice it very often, but you can accumulate a frightening amount of damage in a short time with her AP DBs. I have numerous times caught myself wondering if I had done something actually worthwhile in a match only to see massive damage numbers on the score screen. There is also something sadistically satisfying about watching a full HP Bismarck simply pop in a single DB strike. It's broken, really. How AP bombs made it through testing I will never know.

The only immediate change I'd ask for would be to switch out some of her ridiculous fighter reserves for extra bombers. She probably won't dethrone Shokaku as the T8 CV queen, but I imagine she's a lot better than Lex.

I feel like despite her "easy to use" AP DBs, E is a CV with an extremely high skill floor. She does not forgive many mistakes (if any at all). You have to choose your targets extremely carefully (think Hiryu when up-tiered). You absolutely need to have mastered strafing, strafe dodging and counter strafing. You need to get used to her wonky TB drop pattern. And you occasionally need to pray to RNGesus. But in the right hands she can unleash good potential comparing favorably, but never quite reaching Shokaku. This actually falls in line of what I'd like to see out of premium ships. Theoretically weaker than a normal tech tree ship, but not without her own merits and able to hold her own if played well. Like Tirpitz was back when she was released. Considering all the overpowered premiums we had so far this is a welcome change imo, if unfortunate for any average CV captain looking forward to captaining the Enterprise.

If you want a simple USN CV trainer/credit earner or simply aren't interested in E's illustrious history though, you're much better off with Saipan.

Also if you happen to be of the latter type, please punch yourself in the face for me you filthy heathen.

For some reason she's become my favorite CV to play. Probably because I like the challenge E represents, not to mention her history.

I use AP bombs to further extend air control. Cross-dropping with TBs can and will usually wipe out DDs, even if I find myself failing them more often than with an IJN CV. Takes a while to get used to but they'll do the job. Having AP DBs on the other hand puts your opponent into a bind that is unique to the Enterprise. You can pursue two entirely different targets on opposite sides of the map effectively and the enemy CV either has to split his fighters (which leaves one fighter exposed, while you can pull the other flank back) or has to cover one flank with both fighters (at which point you just strike the other one). That ofc requires two exposed targets on both flanks, but since the average player is abysmally stupid that's not exactly a rarity.

Not to mention AP DBs give you ridiculous first strike ability if the enemy CV is slow to load or starts his fighters last (or potatoes). Wiping out a BB in addition to a DD at the beginning of a game is a blow not many teams will recover from. Rather situational as that requires both an enemy DD and a KM BB to expose themselves at the start of a match and the enemy CV to [edited] up hard, but for reasons stated above that isn't a rarity nowadays.

Also seeing KM BBs finally collect their citadel hits is an incredibly satisfying feeling on its own.

As for Karma

karma.png

Git gud peasants. :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 2

[SSA]
Players
601 posts
16,530 battles
On 23/10/2017 at 3:42 AM, El2aZeR said:

As for Karma

karma.png

...at least i have a nice round number...

..*calls mob to "ask" for more compliments*

In my experience you can usually earn compliments semi-regularly in a cv.

Saving someones bacon, blapping a dd or at least spotting them (as long as possible) tend to net some.

And ofc from the other cv (at least i tend to compliment when it was an interesting match)

Players
758 posts
3,296 battles
19 hours ago, rnat said:

.*calls mob to "ask" for more compliments*

Do people know that you can compliment others?

Or does it "slip" their minds when they are like, Oh that guy helped me live! Ill complement him, oh WAIT I sunk... well next battle it is....

Alpha Tester, Players
5,157 posts

let me say this , noob cv players never lose karma , when op player joins ^ dont even need talk karma lose automatic

specialy saved pic players like these giving you free chat banes with karma drop :P

p.s. who need karma lost 2k+ of it and i m happy with 0 ^^

shot-17_10.25_12_57.58-0853.jpg.326dcd6df4c716cf91afcb7f750535ea.jpg

• Funny 1

[SSA]
Players
601 posts
16,530 battles
1 hour ago, aidenthedestroyer said:

Do people know that you can compliment others?

No, i mean this sort of mob.

Spoiler

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,238 posts
11,727 battles

Enterprise intrigues me as it has a healthy fighter compliment and has troll AP dive bombers to punish BB players.

Although it's a bit on the expensive side and a lot of people come back saying it's not that good.

@Elazaar seems to like his one from what I've seen.

I've got enough CV experience as to not yolo my strike craft so the small reserve doesn't bother me much.

However how does this fare vs a Shokaku of a similar skill level? It's just on all round ability I can't see anything in T8 anywhere near Sho for the sheer utility and tactical flexibility she has.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,875 posts
14,216 battles
1 hour ago, Negativvv said:

@Elazaar seems to like his one from what I've seen.

...you mean me? Because that ain't me. :D

Well, apparently according to various stat sites I'm the number one Enterprise player in EU, ofc I'd enjoy playing her. :Smile_medal:

1 hour ago, Negativvv said:

However how does this fare vs a Shokaku of a similar skill level? It's just on all round ability I can't see anything in T8 anywhere near Sho for the sheer utility and tactical flexibility she has.

In the current random meta I'd say both are fairly evenly matched.

When it comes to air control Shokaku will usually win a straight up click fight, but Enterprise will win if they catch Shokaku fighters after strafing. A head on strafe pass favors Enterprise since she has higher damage output and more planes per squad. One for one trades will obviously favor the Enterprise thanks to her vast fighter reserves, on the other hand her fighters suffer much more from AA interference and are a lot slower. Basically it comes down to the ability of the player, neither side has a clear advantage.

In terms of strike ability it honestly comes down to what your team composition and how skilled your team is. If Shokaku's side has a lot of potato KM BBs that favors Big E a lot, since she can effectively prosecute both DDs and BBs on different ends of the map, which also favors her side in terms of air control since this makes it impossible to cover all flanks and possible targets. The value of AP DBs rapidly diminishes however with rising skill level and team compositions that do not include ships vulnerable to them. On a higher level of play Shokaku is the clear favorite since she has more strike reserves available and isn't as picky with her targets (although it should be noted that depending on how many goats you sacrificed to RNGesus prior to the match AP DBs can give you the occasional devastating strike on non-preferred targets).

Both CVs are still capable of shutting each other down, though, so to use whatever strike potential they have they have to secure air space first.

Conclusion? Which side holds the advantage mainly comes down to player skill, while other situational circumstances play a more minor part. Enterprise is actually a fairly well balanced premium in that regard, neither weak nor overpowered (compared to Shokaku anyway, I don't even care to call Lex a CV nowadays). Too bad she's one of the only balanced premiums out there, which makes her look weak when she really isn't.

• Cool 2

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,238 posts
11,727 battles
10 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

...you mean me? Because that ain't me. :D

Well, apparently according to various stat sites I'm the number one Enterprise player in EU, ofc I'd enjoy playing her. :Smile_medal:

In the current random meta I'd say both are fairly evenly matched.

When it comes to air control Shokaku will usually win a straight up click fight, but Enterprise will win if they catch Shokaku fighters after strafing. A head on strafe pass favors Enterprise since she has higher damage output and more planes per squad. One for one trades will obviously favor the Enterprise thanks to her vast fighter reserves, on the other hand her fighters suffer much more from AA interference and are a lot slower. Basically it comes down to the ability of the player, neither side has a clear advantage.

In terms of strike ability it honestly comes down to what your team composition and how skilled your team is. If Shokaku's side has a lot of potato KM BBs that favors Big E a lot, since she can effectively prosecute both DDs and BBs on different ends of the map, which also favors her side in terms of air control since this makes it impossible to cover all flanks and possible targets. The value of AP DBs rapidly diminishes however with rising skill level and team compositions that do not include ships vulnerable to them. On a higher level of play Shokaku is the clear favorite since she has more strike reserves available and isn't as picky with her targets (although it should be noted that depending on how many goats you sacrificed to RNGesus prior to the match AP DBs can give you the occasional devastating strike on non-preferred targets).

Both CVs are still capable of shutting each other down, though, so to use whatever strike potential they have they have to secure air space first.

Conclusion? Which side holds the advantage mainly comes down to player skill, while other situational circumstances play a more minor part. Enterprise is actually a fairly well balanced premium in that regard, neither weak nor overpowered (compared to Shokaku anyway, I don't even care to call Lex a CV nowadays). Too bad she's one of the only balanced premiums out there, which makes her look weak when she really isn't.

lol! Yeah I've just summoned a random guy with a name like yours :Smile_hiding:

Hmm so essentially the Big E has an edge over Sho when the air battle is concerned and has an epic alpha vs German BBs. I noticed the game we played the goat sacrifice didn't work and your drops on the KM fatties derped, maybe you should start sacrificing bigger animals? :cap_haloween:

Thanks though, that's probably enough information. I'll reward myself with Big E if I improve at CVs :Smile_honoring:

Players
1,071 posts
8,312 battles
On 10/22/2017 at 10:54 PM, Drunken_Jedi said:

Anyone managed 0 karma yet?

Is this a joke? I've played nearly 6000 battles on EU and the most karma I had at once was something like 12. Usually my Karma hovers between 0 (probably more like -20) and 5. Right now I have 6 Karma but it's weekend, so Karma 0 and chat ban incoming. :Smile_ohmy:

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,399 posts
6,357 battles
On 23. 10. 2017 at 3:42 AM, El2aZeR said:

As for Karma

karma.png

This doesn't apply when you exploit your friends to compliment you

Players
1,071 posts
8,312 battles
1 hour ago, ThePurpleSmurf said:

Right now I have 6 Karma but it's weekend, so Karma 0 and chat ban incoming.

Well, I played 2 games …

Spoiler

1karma.jpg

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,875 posts
14,216 battles
3 hours ago, domen3 said:

This doesn't apply when you exploit your friends to compliment you

You haven't been able to compliment people in your division for quite some time now. :P :D

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,399 posts
6,357 battles
28 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

You haven't been able to compliment people in your division for quite some time now. :P :D

But what if you leave it? That's how they did it, plus it's not like karma gets reset every now and then so it's probably just from that time you could

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,875 posts
14,216 battles
3 hours ago, domen3 said:

But what if you leave it? That's how they did it, plus it's not like karma gets reset every now and then so it's probably just from that time you could

...Woah, never thought about that.

Well, I'm primarily a solo player as you can surely check on various stat sites. :)

Players
849 posts
2,954 battles

I wonder... it would be pretty cheap to do so. But given that chat bans use your karma level to determine how many reports are needed for ban etc if you did use that... work around... to pad your karma. Would it increase the number of reports needed to chat ban? Would go a long way to fixing the issues I have where it takes like 1-2 reports to chat ban me (can confirm this from monitoring my karma post games).

It's sad that someone should have to think in such a way just to play the game without getting banned by salty players/trolls because they got wrecked or outplayed by a CV.

Players
1,816 posts
10,117 battles

shot-17_12.13_15_37.42-0744.thumb.jpg.b174205427d0ff3be277bd373b496c80.jpg

shot-17_12.14_21_08.33-0764.thumb.jpg.11e83a5ccb05cf08086fa5062fbd82e0.jpg

Playing CV does not mean you get reported all the time. Just play for your team, support them and there are people out there who will appreciate your effort. 

[MA1D]
Players
9 posts
2,291 battles

Don't be bothered by karma it is a system that has absolutely no point in the game since it is based on the mood's of others.

The whole report thing is just for angry players to vent their anger at somebody it won't do anything at all.

I think anybody who still plays CV after all the nerfs that WG did deserves a praise since it is one of the more frustrating classes who definetly need a rework in their whole mechanic (airplanes should slowly be restored so that a CV does not run out of them mid game)

• Funny 1

Players
12 posts
467 battles
On 10/22/2017 at 9:54 PM, Drunken_Jedi said:

I dropped an Izumo who was sort of isolated from the fleet. First torpedo to hit him.... BOOM. *Fun and Engaging mechanics ensued*. He didn't like that. A little later, strafed all three bomber formations with one fighter squadron and wiped the entire package out. Denied the GZ Test II on the enemy team from making a single drop. Ended the game with aprox 100k (averaging 112k atm).

damn, i wish i could get games with you.
MM seems to put me with the incompetent CVs.

4 games today.
i got bombed around 18 times by CVs in those 4 games, 
the friendly CVs never once came to help. and spent the entirety of those games flying around the map edges, causing auto defeats.

[HOME]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,024 posts
7,342 battles
9 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

ThreadNecro.jpg&key=0576b07673803634c87a

Again? Really?

Well, this seems to be a current fashion trend. Hope your stockpile of resurrection pictures is

BIG ENOUGH

Spoiler

:Smile_bajan2:

Sign in to follow this