Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Egoleter

[Contest] Create a WoWs Guide

37 comments in this topic

[TRAV]
[TRAV]
Players
2,608 posts

Greetings fellow forumites.

In the past few days I have seen many posts about lacking proper tutorials within the game. Mostly in response to veterans of thousands of battles not knowing about some basic stuff. Sadly you and I, we can't do anything about that. What we can do, is to create our own guides to help our fellow players, new and old alike, to get better at the basics of World of Warships.

This contest is for everyone who believes to be able to construct a guide good enough to help new players to understand the game better.

As a little incentive I have a few prizes to give away.

d94c96568b8f4eed900bd415f9d3cbb0.png

1st price: Emden plus 7 days premium time + 100 MGT camos + MGT flag + 1000 doubloons

2nd price: Emden plus 7 days premium time + 100 MGT camos + MGT flag + 500 doubloons

3rd price: Emden plus 7 days premium time + 100 MGT camos + MGT flag

4th and 5th price: Emden plus 3 days premium time

Spoiler

The first three places are sponsored by Wargaming (a big thank you to everyone involved to make this happen).

The doubloons will be send to you separately, as they are an extra addition from me.

The fourth and fifth prizes are offered by VMX and me. (Note that those two are Gamescom codes. If you redeemed one previously you might not be able to redeem this prize. In that case please contact me and MrConway and we will work something out.)

Should you already own the Emden, you will be compensated with credits once you redeem your price. Premium time will be active immediatly after redeeming your prize.

Why are all the prizes Emdens?

Emden_wows_main.jpg

It is what I had available when I came up with the idea for the contest. It is from a Tier that fits the theme of the contest (read below). If you already own it, I hope that the camos, the flag, as well as the doubloons will be enough of a motivation for you to still participate.

What do you need to do to win?

german-sailors-instructd-d87wde.jpg

Please create a guide you would show a new player. It doesn't need to be about everything in the game. You decide if you want to explain the HUD-elements, the Tier I ships, the difference between ammo types, the various game modes, costs and rewards, or one of the many other things that are a part of the day to day gameplay. Of course you can also try to do a complete guide covering all the topics but it will not be judged by the amount of content but by its quality.

We do not need guides that go into the details of high tier battles.  At least not as far as this contest is concerned. Everything a player could witness until Tier V should be fine. Everything beyond that might be too advanced (I'd make an exception for manual attacks by CVs) but we will decide that case by case. A guide for the ocean map, that only Tier VIII+ players will ever see, would probably have a lower chance to win then a similar guide about Solomon Islands.

Your guide does not need to be in writing. You are free to use any form you deem proper to transfer your knowledge. You can write, draw a picture book or make a nice video. Or you can come up with something really special.

Once you are done, please post your guide to the proper forum section and place a link here.

Your entry must be created during the time of the contest. Content created sooner will not be recognized as a proper entry and is not eligible to win one of the prizes.

The entry must be created by you. Posting content originally belonging to someone else as your own will disqualify your entry and may exclude you from further participation.

As the entries are to be posted to the forums, all forum rules apply. So please restrain yourself from any use of derogatory terms, insults, obscene language, or any other inappropriate content. Entries that do not follow those rules might be disqualified as well.

The contest is open for entries from Thursday, 19th October till Thursday, 16th November 2017, 20:00 UTC.

How will the winners be selected?

peregrine2015-poty-carousel-2.jpg

After all entries are submitted, I will take some time to sort through all of them. Together with a few other volunteer judges I will rate the entries for their ease of understanding, form of presentation, creativity, and a few other criteria. In case of a tie by our internal measurements we might look at the amount of likes an entry has received (original post or link here, whichever is higher).

I hope to be able to present the winners a day after the contest but depending on the number of entries we might need a bit more then that to sort it through. The lucky ones will be named in an update to this thread and will receive a PM with their reward.

What will happen after the contest with all the entries?

My plan is to collect the best ones, not limited to the ones that won, sort them by the topics they address, and post it to the Newcomer's section. This will then be an easy to find resource we can point to if others need help with the basics. Hopefully Wargaming will pin it there.

If you do not want that to happen to your guide, please post a note to your entry in this thread. It will not in any way harm your chances to win.

Now get creative, help our current and future players, and win some nice things.

All pictures are property of their creators or otherwise legal owner. I do not claim any ownership to them.

• Doubloon chests and Emden at sea are property of Wargaming.

• German Sailors is property of Alamy.com
  • Peregrine2015 is property of the Royal Navy.

• Cool 19

[DREAD]
Players
453 posts
7,651 battles

My guide would have one page, and two massive words printed within.

ENJOY YOURSELF

• Cool 2

[WGB]
Players
2,062 posts
26,025 battles

Great idea OP, A good topic at last.:cap_like:

• Cool 1

[CAIN]
Players
2,737 posts
10,868 battles

Nice one m8, let the guides be many and useful on top!

Btw, MGT flag? As in the MGT-20 flag?

• Cool 1

[TRAV]
[TRAV]
Players
2,608 posts
Just now, Jethro_Grey said:

Nice one m8, let the guides be many and useful on top!

Btw, MGT flag? As in the MGT-20 flag?

Good question. I guess so. The Name is all the info I have about them. So it is a kind of rare item as not many of us manage to be where the gaming truck is.

We could tag in @MrConway to answer this one for us.

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
2,426 posts
2,340 battles
1 minute ago, Egoleter said:

Good question. I guess so. The Name is all the info I have about them. So it is a kind of rare item as not many of us manage to be where the gaming truck is.

We could tag in @MrConway to answer this one for us.

Yes indeed it is the MGT-20 flag :)

• Cool 2

[WGB]
Players
2,062 posts
26,025 battles
1 minute ago, MrConway said:

Yes indeed it is the MGT-20 flag :)

Oh good, so we shouldn't have to bother attending WG events anymore. :cap_haloween:

[TRAV]
[TRAV]
Players
2,608 posts
1 minute ago, iJoby said:

Oh good, so we shouldn't have to bother attending WG events anymore. :cap_haloween:

Only if you turn in a guide and manage to win one of the first three prices. So you better get to work right now. :fish_book:

[WGB]
Players
2,062 posts
26,025 battles
4 minutes ago, Egoleter said:

Only if you turn in a guide and manage to win one of the first three prices

I have an MGT-20 flag, and I do support you with this, A Beginners Guide would be best made from more experienced and better players than me.

I wish there had been a guide when I started the game 2 years ago, and more players like yourself willing to help new players.

Beta Tester
1,271 posts
7,834 battles

My entry:

Add a button called "Tutorial" to the menu in the top left, upon clicking that button a new window opens, kinda like the inventory, clan page or the premium shop, this new window lets you browse the wows wiki under "http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships". Furthermore you reserve a little bit of space on the bottom left of that new window with a ? sign and behind that "Help". Upon clicking that a small pop-up window opens, like the special ingame offers from WG, this pop-up should have a single line "Stop being a baby that needs to be spoon-feeded!"

Beta Tester
4,603 posts
7,488 battles

If anyone wants to rework the spotting mechanics guide I wrote for 0.5.5, feel free to take whatever you need from it.

So much changed in that regard that it essentially would be a new guide and needs a lot of work.

@Egoleter

Nice incentive mate

• Cool 2

[TRAV]
[TRAV]
Players
2,608 posts
13 minutes ago, LilJumpa said:

If anyone wants to rework the spotting mechanics guide I wrote for 0.5.5, feel free to take whatever you need from it.

So much changed in that regard that it essentially would be a new guide and needs a lot of work.

@Egoleter

Nice incentive mate

Thanks. As you offered it I'll allow the use of content from your guide, as long as you are mentioned as the original creator.

[UNICS]
Players
607 posts
5,870 battles

I am sorry but you cannot pretend quality, for that ridiculous "incentive". Whoever ever write a real guide will have in hands a value to market totally different than your 1000 doubloons and tier 2 Emden (3$ package in theory but free for all in practice).

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,399 posts
6,357 battles

Nice idea....I'll do my best...one question though, what would be the appropriate forum section? Newcomers?

• Cool 1

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Players
1,204 posts
2,462 battles

Ok my contribution would be to add the contents of this post I made some where where every new player can read it. 

• Cool 2

[TRAV]
[TRAV]
Players
2,608 posts
On 10/19/2017 at 4:33 PM, Fat_Maniac said:

Ok my contribution would be to add the contents of this post I made some where where every new player can read it. 

I'm sorry but only new content is accepted. I specifically wrote this in the opening post. You need to create a guide while the contest is running.

Your entry must be created during the time of the contest. Content created sooner will not be recognized as a proper entry and is not eligible to win one of the prizes.

On 10/19/2017 at 4:07 PM, domen3 said:

Nice idea....I'll do my best...one question though, what would be the appropriate forum section? Newcomers?

The appropriate section depends a bit on the form of presentation you chose.

Newcomer for written guides would be a good place. Gameplay would probably be a good place as well. There is also the forum for General guides. For specific Ships or Maps, the dedicated subforums for those should be your primary choice. If you want to do a video guide please post it to Videos & Streams.

Don't forget to link it here once it is finished.

• Cool 1

[TRAV]
[TRAV]
Players
2,608 posts

Wow!

I didn't expect such a large entry on the first day.

I'm out of likes for today. You'll get one tomorrow. :cap_like:

Beta Tester
353 posts
12,947 battles
21 hours ago, PseudoMi said:

I am sorry but you cannot pretend quality, for that ridiculous "incentive". Whoever ever write a real guide will have in hands a value to market totally different than your 1000 doubloons and tier 2 Emden (3$ package in theory but free for all in practice).

Cracks me up.  Even when someone offers something nice as a way to gin up some community spirit, there's always someone who'll try to piss in the punch-bowl. 

Az

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
353 posts
12,947 battles

I put together a few video guides a long while back for DD players - I'll think about writing something up for you later.  Meanwhile: 

Az

• Cool 1

[SSA]
Players
601 posts
16,530 battles

If i may make a suggestion:

It could be good if anyone who started working on a guide would post his intended topic

and the rough scope of what he/she plans to cover in order to potentially cover more topics

• Cool 1

[TRAV]
[TRAV]
Players
2,608 posts
4 hours ago, rnat said:

If i may make a suggestion:

It could be good if anyone who started working on a guide would post his intended topic

and the rough scope of what he/she plans to cover in order to potentially cover more topics

Not a bad suggestion but I want everyone to create a guide about a topic they are comfortable with. If such a list existed they might be driven away because their topic is already covered by someone else.

Thank you for the idea and if some of the contestants want to adopt it I'll not interfere.

[BS4]
Players
822 posts
5,321 battles
On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:24 AM, PseudoMi said:

W T F? :Smile_amazed:

[F_D]
Alpha Tester
1,194 posts
4,392 battles

I think my initial beginners guide from two years ago is still pinned on top in the newcommers' section... Don't know if it still counts, but I do have an Emden already anyways.:Smile-_tongue:

Sign in to follow this