You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Messias

IFHE for Phoenix?

21 comments in this topic

[-BWR-]
Players
80 posts
6,278 battles

Hello lads and ladies,

I was wondering if the IFHE skill is useful for the Phoenix. I know that with this skill your HE has more penetration, but if I check the ships it will battle against (Tier 3 -5) there is hardly a ship I can't penetrate without it, or can penetrate with the skill that I couldn't penetrate otherwise. Only few ships that have 25 mm armor somewhere , which I can't penetrate without the skill but with the skill I can. In other words, there are only a few ships that have at some spots 25 mm armor, so for me it looks like a bit useless to have it on the Phoenix. I don't want to loose 3% fire chance to have an occasional penetration against certain ships. 

Or do I miss something and is IFHE still a useful skill?

[-BWR-]
Players
80 posts
6,278 battles

sorry for me being daft, but why not on US ships? 

[BLOBS]
Beta Tester
5,330 posts
13,776 battles

It does ups your pens damage on most 150mm cruisers. and steath isnt a huge isue at the map size at T4

Beta Tester
1,046 posts
19,583 battles

only ship you can put it is cleveland, then you get 203 guns that dont really need ifhe, so if further retraining doesnt bother you you can put it on, but if you wish to continue progressing the line with the same captain go without it

[SCRUB]
Players
5,763 posts
16,925 battles
3 minutes ago, Spellfire40 said:

It does ups your pens damage on most 150mm cruisers. and steath isnt a huge isue at the map size at T4

No, it ups HE's pen value, not HE pen's dmg.

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
6,641 posts
28,513 battles

HI all,

11 minutes ago, Azalgor said:

You dont really need it on any US ships, rather go for AA and stealth.

The "Cleveland" strongly disagrees (and you can have both IFHE and Concealment)... :Smile_teethhappy:

Leo "Apollo11"

[BLOBS]
Beta Tester
5,330 posts
13,776 battles
Just now, aboomination said:

No, it ups HE's pen value, not HE pen's dmg.

A shell that shatters do no damage so it ups the pen damage especally since most low tir BBs arent that hard armored in the areas you usally hit...im talking about the ability to acually get a damgeing hit not the raw damage a shell petential could do

[SCRUB]
Players
5,763 posts
16,925 battles
Just now, Spellfire40 said:

A shell that shatters do no damage so it ups the pen damage especally since most low tir BBs arent that hard armored in the areas you usally hit...im talking about the ability to acually get a damgeing hit not the raw damage a shell petential could do

A shell that shattered didn't penetrate...

[-BWR-]
Players
80 posts
6,278 battles

Ah thanks. Captain stays on Phoenix, I already have a good captain on Cleaver, with the skill. :) The thing is that the crucial armor thickness of 25mm is not that widespread in tier 3-5. Or does the skill also reduce the chance to shatter on armore thinner than 25 mm?

Alpha Tester
19,378 posts
6,105 battles
1 minute ago, Messias said:

Or does the skill also reduce the chance to shatter on armore thinner than 25 mm?

If you pen you pen, it's straight up math. IFHE just adds 30% to the penetration values. 

[-BWR-]
Players
80 posts
6,278 battles

Ok, than it's more ore less useless on lower tiers.Grr, I have it on my St Louis (t3 US cruiser) , time to respec him. :)

Thanks all for your wisdom and time.

[BLOBS]
Beta Tester
5,330 posts
13,776 battles
42 minutes ago, aboomination said:

A shell that shattered didn't penetrate...

Wich means logical that IFHE do overall more damge thogh geting more pens :Smile_teethhappy:

[POI--]
Quality Poster
2,376 posts
19,086 battles
2 minutes ago, Spellfire40 said:

Wich means logical that IFHE do overall more damge thogh geting more pens :Smile_teethhappy:

IFHE on Des Moines. :Smile_hiding:

[SCRUB]
Players
5,763 posts
16,925 battles
3 minutes ago, Spellfire40 said:

I don't have time for your stupidity...

Players
1,292 posts
11,979 battles

It's great on Cleveland and Omaha (actually I have Marblehead, but same applies). No reason why not on Phoenix.

Ultimately depends on what are your long term plans for the captain -- will you keep him as a mid-tier CL captain, or proceed to the high-tier CA's? What I did was keep one guy in Cleveland+Marblehead, and develop another captain for the CA's.

All of you guys saying AA or stealth is better -- you don't really have to choose. My 19-point Cleveland guy has all of DE+IFHE, concealment expert, and AFT.

[BLOBS]
Beta Tester
5,330 posts
13,776 battles
56 minutes ago, dasCKD said:

IFHE on Des Moines. :Smile_hiding:

The point is were you get past pens barriers by including it. Its overall acepted its usefull for up to 180mm and a huge damage bost for 150ish.

59 minutes ago, aboomination said:

I don't have time for your stupidity...

Intersting since yourself get hung up on terminology insetead of looking at the result. On average wich do more damge a 150sh mm CL with or without IFHE? you call the result HE Pens i say it inceases the HE damage done due to less shatter.. We are discibing the same but im stupid because i use another termology? Talk about being narow minded.

[PKTZS]
Weekend Tester
2,567 posts
18,265 battles

I would say it's simply not necessary in tier 4, as they only meet tier 5s, and BBs at that tier have 19mm plates. And in the case of fighting cruisers, the only armoured part you can't pen is the belt, in which case you should use AP ammo.

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
6,036 posts
34,128 battles

It works ok on 15 cm guns.  Regarding Phoenix, it helps pen bridge areas of some battleships, like Kawachi, Myogi, Nassau, and Iron Duke.

[BABBY]
Players
941 posts
14,131 battles
4 hours ago, jss78 said:

It's great on Cleveland and Omaha (actually I have Marblehead, but same applies). No reason why not on Phoenix.

Because Phoenix faces ships up to tier V which have mostly 19mm armor that 152mm HE penetrates just fine.

In short it is a waste of 4 skill points and 3% fire chance.

• Cool 2