AkosJaccik

Ship model quality - is that an issue worth noting?

• You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.

Model quality disparities   66 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the issue?

• I absolutely don't care, leave them as they are, this has zero importance
    • I don't care, but as long as it doesn't take too much resources, fine, update the models
    • While it's certainly a low-priority issue, I would take improvements as commendable work
    • "Other problems" will always be present in the game, so this might as well have about the same priority as anything else and start working on it
    • Stop working on balancing, GZ, breathing, basically on everything until this isn't sorted!
    • I would like them updated, but then coupled with the complete overhaul of the game's visuals in the far future
    • Nerf HE spam

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

17 posts in this topic

Greetings!

...about model quality.

A great thing to see that it neatly improved over the time - however, we can't tell the same about the "elderly members" of WoWs. Now, obviously, this has exactly zero impact on the gameplay, and to be fair, WG does work on older models as well, mainly when it comes to the riggings and rails, but it's still somewhat sad to see the disparity in model quality when it comes to certain ships. In some cases, even the same exact detail / part looks different according to the time of implementation, let me show you an example:

model_quality.thumb.png.8205f747c6723e86bc27b89f921da440.png

(disregard the color scheme, I don't have the Hatsu anymore)

Clearly, simply putting the new, "HD" turret onto the old, "LD" hull would look silly, so this is rather an example of how the details improved over time, but still! I, for one, would like to see WG giving some love towards the older models, God forbid by remodeling them, at the same time, I'm aware that it would take a metric ton of work for very little return of investments (I mean, compared to spamming out a new premium ship every two weeks ͡(° ͜ʖ ͡°)  ), but a part of me still waits for the day, when - similarly to what WoT did and does - we get to see some sort of "WoWs HD". Not this year, not the next - but maybe after that.

The argument saying "We don't have free-ish deck camera in the port because our models don't look good enough at close distances" is also less and less valid.

On the other hand, implementing the old ships with updated models, but as premiums is also a - maybe more plausible - way... :Smile_trollface:

Maybe I should ask this in the Q&A, but frankly, I don't have naive dreams about this for now.

2 people like this

They will probably do the same as with WoT. Roll out new improved skins/Visuals for ships like they did with tanks.

In WoT allmost every patch roll out a couple of HD models untill every tank in the game eventually is improved. They will probably do the same with ships. After all, the 3D modellers and art guys probably need to be kept busy (otherwise they are paid for doing no work), so WG will probably have them work on updating own visuals, when ever they have a pause from working on new stuff.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, SBS said:

They will probably do the same as with WoT.(...)

Yes, hopefully, you are right, and - in this regard - they will follow the existing example.

Since this is not very noticable ingame while you're busy rekking scrubs i don't see this as a issue that needs inmediant fixing, yes having your ship look like if its real is very nice but graphics aren't as necessary as good gameplay.

I would still like to see this fixed tho and WG will as they have been doing with some of the older ships already

Visuals and balancing/programming/etc. are done by completely different departments (or should be in a dev team as big as WG), thus updating visuals and addressing other problems simultaneously shouldn't be that big of an issue. The question should rather be about introducing new ships vs updating existing models, really.

1 person likes this

It's nice and all that but I'd rather they focus primarily on core gameplay issues for the moment. The ship models are good, the newer ones are fantastic... in time they will be updated I'm sure. However the differences are pretty minor, certainly nothing like WoT with the old models vs the "HD models" being super apparent. 

What do pool options have to do with ship models. "Nerf HE spam" ... are you serious?

3 hours ago, nambr9 said:

What do pool options have to do with ship models. "Nerf HE spam" ... are you serious?

What are you on about? :Smile-_tongue:

Obviously it is only meant as 'there are other issues with the game that need fixing'. Probably some Ivan threw fireball at his direction and it was first thing that popped up in his head.

But I admit - first option should be:

"Fix the game first"

2 people like this

3 hours ago, nambr9 said:

... are you serious?

Obviously not - I wanted to give an option for those who have nothing constructive to give in a sarcastic manner. What I am curious about is the answers that take it seriously.

Gameplay over eye candy any day.

I have a reasonably powerful machine, but eye candy doesn't improve performance and typically negatively impacts it. Sure it's nice in the port, but I'd rather the effort (yes I know that graphic artists are a differnt resource from the programmers) and money goes into gameplay than tweaking textures in the combat section of the game.

Obviously this is personal preference.

1 person likes this

This issue appears with Yamato and Scharnorst gun ladders:

UJfFfbn.jpg

obOHLYN.jpg

2 people like this

You didn't even include the worst offenders.

I bring you the Fubuki and Kagero turrets (Fubuki pictured):

shot-17.09.24_16.02.34-0192b.jpg

1 person likes this

You know I was looking at the Fubuki and I couldn't work out what was wrong with it and then I realised it doesn't actually have windows you can see through. And now you've pointed out the guns too and I can't wait to get to tier VII lol.

20 hours ago, AkosJaccik said:

Greetings!

...about model quality.

A great thing to see that it neatly improved over the time - however, we can't tell the same about the "elderly members" of WoWs. Now, obviously, this has exactly zero impact on the gameplay, and to be fair, WG does work on older models as well, mainly when it comes to the riggings and rails, but it's still somewhat sad to see the disparity in model quality when it comes to certain ships. In some cases, even the same exact detail / part looks different according to the time of implementation, let me show you an example:

model_quality.thumb.png.8205f747c6723e86bc27b89f921da440.png

(disregard the color scheme, I don't have the Hatsu anymore)

Clearly, simply putting the new, "HD" turret onto the old, "LD" hull would look silly, so this is rather an example of how the details improved over time, but still! I, for one, would like to see WG giving some love towards the older models, God forbid by remodeling them, at the same time, I'm aware that it would take a metric ton of work for very little return of investments (I mean, compared to spamming out a new premium ship every two weeks ͡(° ͜ʖ ͡°)  ), but a part of me still waits for the day, when - similarly to what WoT did and does - we get to see some sort of "WoWs HD". Not this year, not the next - but maybe after that.

The argument saying "We don't have free-ish deck camera in the port because our models don't look good enough at close distances" is also less and less valid.

On the other hand, implementing the old ships with updated models, but as premiums is also a - maybe more plausible - way... :Smile_trollface:

Maybe I should ask this in the Q&A, but frankly, I don't have naive dreams about this for now.

This is something we are indeed painfully aware of ;)

As mentioned, we've already gone back and redone the rigging for many ships and we will do the same for the models and textures eventually. But as this will take a lot of man-hours to do, we'd rather focus on rolling out more new ships (premium and non-premium) as we know that you guys want more content more than better models.

When and how we will address this has not yet been decided.

1 person likes this

I first started playing this game primarily because of high quality, well modeled ww2 era warships, rather than any gameplay aspect that may have gotten me interested.

Naturally, any improvements done to them would have me reeling in anticipation.

1 person likes this

On 2017. 09. 24. at 4:44 PM, MrConway said:

This is something we are indeed painfully aware of ;) (...)

Makes sense! Obviously I find it fair that new content comes first (as it should), but it's still great to hear that the issue grinds your gears too. :) As for the "when and how" - oh, I have plenty of time... not planning on leaving anytime soon. :Smile_glasses: 

While can understand that models visual improvements have low priority over some other things I can't understand that models for two particular ships are still not updated: Fubuki and Kagero. WG build new models for Shinonome and Harekaze but we still have those old models for Fubuki and Kagero.