thiextar

What is the current strongest battleship line and why?

• You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.

40 posts in this topic

Sorry if this is a bit parallel on topic. I have the feeling I missed something in wows... Where is the "hatret" for Colorado? You know: the side with most of them loses? The ship where you aim at J10 in order to hit an enemy in A1???

this it's from a cruiser guy that don't like playing Barges that much.

For me, German or Japanese, but went for German, don't you worry with the dispersion, they are meant to brawl. You close the distance you get more accurate. If that is what you going for.

The British don't know, I have two in port but I just can't get myself to play them, just waiting to sell them with 0 nautical miles. And perhaps and most probably they will be nerfed like all the rest.

IJN don't know, but it seems that kongo and Fuso are good ships.

US bbs I'm curious, seems nice.

But hey, you are a cruiser guy, and as a cruiser guy, what  bb causes you more trouble? How do you like to play?

which bb will adapt the best to your style?

On ‎07‎-‎09‎-‎2017 at 4:11 PM, mtm78 said:

Will be funny to hear why they ignored all feedback that this would happen.

Probably they didn't want another cruiser line thing.

It's my understanding that when they came out, the uk cruisers, they were very fragile and they had to buff them, right?

Perhaps, this time they decide to go for a different approach, give in excess to nerf them later if needed it.

1 hour ago, Ferry_25 said:

Sorry if this is a bit parallel on topic. I have the feeling I missed something in wows... Where is the "hatret" for Colorado? You know: the side with most of them loses? The ship where you aim at J10 in order to hit an enemy in A1???

That would be New Mexico and Fuso (and arguably Dunkerque) with their glorious sigma values of 1.5 (and 1.7 respectively). Colorado, however, is and has been for as long I play this game one of the most accurate battleships in the entire game. 

On 2017-09-08 at 1:04 PM, Synth_FG said:

I liked the New York, 

Big issue with the Wyoming was that she's too long and turns like a barge, especially problematic if the enemy has a CV or 2, 

New York with better armour and guns and a more  ballenced layout is a great ship, I loved her and found her nice and tanky 

HE spam is an issue, but no more so than for any other BB simply prioritise for deletion or avoid HE spamming ca's that are causing the issue

I play Wyoming far more than NY/Texas. I like her 12 guns, I have easier getting good results with her than other T4s Techtrees. MM to T4 is more friendly. NM I like a lot also userfriendly 4x3, Colorado I barely touch. But T6 is a fun Tier to be in gameplaywise, so I play a lot there regardless of ship. Problem is when you have premium Texas and Arizona the US Techtree ships get less played, I have so many ships in port I barely touch NY and NM anymore. Arizonas guns are far better so why play NM? But for the techtree player NM is great. NC is a great ship also first US with speed. But at higher tiers I prefer playing DDs and cruisers.

I'm not so sure about "line" but each nation have its highlights. IJN Kongo and Fuso are great midtier battleboat, former can act as battleship when top tier while speed and decent maneuvreability allows to play as cruiser against tier 7. Fuso is quite well protected and can deliver quite a blow with 12 barrels, even bad shell dispersion doesn't hamper her as much. Amagi has great guns and decent speed, but is kinda fragile (no armored deck to stop 203 HE and Yamato overpens) and suffers from awkward turret layout.

USN shine on tier 8 and 9 - North Carolina is first "fast" BB on her line, and greets you with good accuracy, LONG range, THE most OP AA on battleship per tier. And more importantly, she has wicked (okay, not so much after Teaboats introduction) concealment, allowing to sneak up on enemy ships and greet them with 406mm salvo at 11.8km, while she has surprising agility to her for torpedo evasion. Iowa is similar, though she loses bit of camo and lots of maneuvreability while gaining 33kts top speed.

For germans I can speak only about Bismarck, as I've got her from missions. She's fast, she's nimble (by BB standards), gun department is significantly inferior to NC or Amagi, but boy, these secondaries are lots of fun. Sonar is also available for extra destroyer hunting... in battleship.

8 hours ago, Butterdoll said:

Probably they didn't want another cruiser line thing.

It's my understanding that when they came out, the uk cruisers, they were very fragile and they had to buff them, right?

Perhaps, this time they decide to go for a different approach, give in excess to nerf them later if needed it.

Cruiser line was fine from the start, it's just a high skill floor so baddies do bad in them. They also have very high skill ceiling so good players really excel in them. Good line, if you'd ask me. But yes this indeed sounds like a complete opposite, low skill floor battleships to cater to the masses. 

Speaking as someone who has up to T9 in the USN BB line and up to T10 in the German and Japanese BB lines. Id say go for the German BB line if your starting out as it is quite forgiving and the GK is a barrel of laughs if you put a secondary build on her. That being said all three if these lines are full of good ships the Iowa along with the Missouri and the Amagi are among my most loved ships. 

I won't comment on the RN BB line as I am only on T8 at the moment and I have yet to make my mind up about it but I will say that Conqueror is fun to play after i tested it on the PTS (I expect this line to be nerfed/changed) 

If you're straight retarded of course the RN BB line is strongest... No skill required, just load HE, spec into concealment and point and click... A punch into the face of everyone who tries to compete.

On 9/7/2017 at 6:36 PM, Synth_FG said:

... but the Amagi made me give up the grind ...

Wh ... ?

Everyone just keeps tooting the German horn in this thread. Imo it is less about "best" and more about what you want from a bb, and skill ceiling.

Compared to other BB lines (ignoring brits cause they broke) Germans have the lowest skill floor, but also the lowest skill ceiling, they're easy to play. Sure they're the "best" if you want to live a long [edited]time, but inaccurate, lower pen guns won't reward you for outstanding play like the IJN or USN battleships will. A smart opponent who stays out of your secondary range can't necessarily kill you quickly because of your thick armour, but you'll be worn down consistently and there won't be much you can do about it. Ultimately, an average player will love them because they'll make you feel like an unkillable god, a very good player will feel like their guns are holding you back.

Don't get me wrong, I like enough of them, but I feel like this thread is putting them up on a styrofoam pedestal, too much talk and it'll collapse.

personally prefer USN and IJN lines. USN concealment, superheavy AP and best in tier AA means that it is paltry to catch unaware broadsides and punish the bejeezus out of them. And IJN has the same story but makes a few trades for the B I G  G U N S™

shot-17.08.21_20.06.48-0774.jpg

The German guns have lower penetration, do they?

Personally I seem to have much better results with the german 406's compared to Murican or Japanese high tier guns.

But perhaps it's due to the shell velocity, no idea...

Anyway, for me, the German BBs are far superior than USA and Jap ones, because they feel much more versatile. They do great in all situations.

But that's my experience.

3 hours ago, mtm78 said:

Cruiser line was fine from the start, it's just a high skill floor so baddies do bad in them. They also have very high skill ceiling so good players really excel in them. Good line, if you'd ask me. But yes this indeed sounds like a complete opposite, low skill floor battleships to cater to the masses. 

Couple of years ago the Colorado was a dog, especially if you grind rather than free xp the a and b hulls

So slow compared to anything else in its tier that it often gets left behind (especially in T8/9 Battles)

And compared to it's predecessor the additional hitting power in no way compensated for the loss of 4 barrels, especially when to hit anything with more than half the shells you had to get within 8-10km (not easy when anything smaller than you can simply run away and most cruisers will out range you and simply soak you in HE spam from beyond your max range)

Only good thing about her was the aa in the b and c hull 

@OP

All that need to be said about German ships has been said... But many advice up to t8 and Bismarck.  As i have ground German and IJN lines to t10, USN to t9 and the British to t8 i wish to  add a few things.

German line ends at GK which is a real monster if you set it up properly (and this is very important for any tier and in relation with your play style).  Hard hitting guns extremely damage resistant, you can wreck anyone in this (if you know what to do...)

As others said the IJN line ends at Yamato. THE GUNS! Period. Not so forgiving cause nowadays  it's the easiest to citadel (lol How times change!) if you are not angled.  BUT... no one can angle against you.

Before Yamato  there are a few excellent ships though...  Amagi is superb (guns again) but not so for a beginner.  Fuso also is a legend (guns again...)

USN: Up to t7 only Colorado was fun for me. All are too slow.  At t8 is the North Carolina which is a really great BB for the reasons stated from other posters. It also turns well.  Iowa is also great. 

RN BBs: hmmm... I have mixed feelings about them...  T4 Orion is so OP that they gonna nerf it for sure.  Hitting double citadels with HE in cruisers is not a good sign :)

t5 Iron Duke is ok, t6 Queen Elizabeth also ok and with good AP, a thing that is not standard in this line.  T7 KGV is fun (for you cause the others hate you when you almost constantly shooting HE with double fires and a average damage of 120k.  Personally i played this with AP at the start, feeling wrong to HE spam all time and was really struggling to do serious damage.  At the last games i switched to HE at all games and almost all my games were around the 120k mark.

The Monarch at T8 is a decent all around ship. Not great in something except concealment but decent all around. 

TLDR version...  My personal recommendation is the old lines.  USN or IJN.  German ships may be more forgiving but you have to brawl smartly and this is not easy as many consider it.  Out of their "good" range they are harmless. As FishDogFoodShack  wrote: A smart opponent who stays out of your secondary range can't necessarily kill you quickly because of your thick armour, but you'll be worn down consistently and there won't be much you can do about it.  I couldn't agree more.  It's the way i kill them...  :)

Think about your playstyle, see some youtube videos about setting the proper setup and cpt. skills and choose.

I have to say I'm liking the Conquerer. She looks geeereat with an almost USN arse end on it.  Concealment of 54 I think which is better than most cruisers and I can fling HE at everything with gay abandon. What's not to like...

1 hour ago, Synth_FG said:

Couple of years ago the Colorado was a dog, especially if you grind rather than free xp the a and b hulls

So slow compared to anything else in its tier that it often gets left behind (especially in T8/9 Battles)

And compared to it's predecessor the additional hitting power in no way compensated for the loss of 4 barrels, especially when to hit anything with more than half the shells you had to get within 8-10km (not easy when anything smaller than you can simply run away and most cruisers will out range you and simply soak you in HE spam from beyond your max range)

Only good thing about her was the aa in the b and c hull 

I fail to see any relevance between this and what I said, but alas at least it's correct :)