Sign in to follow this  
viceadmiral123

Kaga appreciation thread

58 comments in this topic

Players
923 posts
13,965 battles

During the doubloon discount recently I though about getting the certified OP Saipan, but chasing planes all game is not fun for me. Neither is sitting in smoke spamming HE with Belfast. So I went with the Kaga. Instant clubseal krakenfarmer potential after making a few drops with the TBs. t7 mm puts me in t5 games most of the time, hence the 80+% winrate I got so far.

What I like:

- converging cone 53kts 6 planes torpedo squadron, and you have two of them for crossdrops or DoT stack/one shot. This is why you play IJN carriers. This is why you play Kaga. Go after weak AA ships for most lulz.

- dive bomber squadron that starts 2 fires without needing to manually target. What more could you ask for from IJN DBs.

- usable secondaries and AA, good armor and HP, enough speed to keep up with the fleet. Hangar size seems OK considering the weak planes.

The quirks:

- low tier planes mean slower and less HP. Strafes will decimate your squads. Tier 8 and 9 anti-air is problematic and you will lose many planes, so save the kamikaze drops for the end of the game.

- weak and slow fighters. You are not going to do much with them, but at least you have two squads. You can get clear skies in randoms, but overall you should rely on friendly AA in those engagements.

This ship is just plain fun. Check out it's performance at wows stats & numbers.

Some screens.

Generic t5 sealclub. Games end too quickly to keep farming -

Spoiler

59eb75e2b9308_igetbackpainfromcarryingthisteam.thumb.jpg.930ac5dae41a1f9ae41041e4d62b1469.jpg

^ featuring secondary action vs Atlanta, because why waste planes when you have 200mm guns

Spoiler

59c266f4d27ad_doubledaily.thumb.jpg.ab07e4217c83afb3708c725ddeb7089e.jpg

Spoiler

59c266fa3bbb1_morekaga.thumb.jpg.f6ef9808f8b659fec4e29478adfb0950.jpg

Spoiler

59c0cacd764d6_kagabringsparcels.thumb.jpg.e342fe3929594f35ef1779e19b25056c.jpg

Spoiler

59bbb3c654242_ihaveaparcelwaitingforme.thumb.jpg.74a25aa5cd23c5a70ba3541b6b536c85.jpg

Spoiler

59bbb3d817de5_moredaily.thumb.jpg.065dbb5d67b8496b7e8a52bd758b6dfc.jpg

Spoiler

59b7aee402256_dontforgettopostdaily.thumb.jpg.3fec3a0ab0ed94df01fadd6e2d19413a.jpg

Spoiler

59b553c9db622_anotherdayanotherdailycarry.thumb.jpg.bb3a576c9d697531a294b14fc67235c4.jpg

Spoiler

yawn.thumb.jpg.0437a81ef6b3f096a554fdafd4cf818f.jpg

Spoiler

59b25cd2cacb5_anotherday.thumb.jpg.41838a582c7b83a56c43b93c863775c8.jpg

Spoiler

59b10710edb78_youhavebeenbannedfromchat.thumb.jpg.6e00171a6672195ad1d96b05360f8eb1.jpg

Spoiler

kek.thumb.jpg.9faf2687c388d112347f1a09e46542cd.jpg

Spoiler

kek.thumb.jpg.916c1651bd69249f9fe95e63afefe2c8.jpg

Spoiler

Untitled5.thumb.jpg.f309e1df921b410485b6726ba3a116a4.jpg

Spoiler

Untitled1.thumb.jpg.603c00bc51a2ddde574e8444627f5211.jpg

Spoiler

Untitled2.thumb.jpg.ea0b05b1df7bb17e5b6468dbfff7e725.jpg

Spoiler

Untitled3.thumb.jpg.e8f6e05ba4f9375a79e387dcaa139863.jpg

Some t9 sealclub with longer games for extra fun -

Spoiler

59b2dd3bdbe58_tier9sohard.thumb.jpg.c88cf7be60aa6b998db67b765b46924d.jpg

Spoiler

59b3c348166d7_t9gamesarehard.thumb.jpg.e080671d9099f9104e2e7a4abf170daf.jpg

Spoiler

Untitled.thumb.jpg.0e385e6798ca58f7521257c6739d246e.jpg

Losses -

Spoiler

59b42a3033293_whyteamdoesntcap.thumb.jpg.d0ad1681553d61dd80ff41622fc8d712.jpg

Spoiler

59ae6b7c60291_losst9.thumb.png.60e5b68fc6e7dab0f5e87d7e96731757.png

• Cool 1

[TEACH]
Alpha Tester
2,343 posts
9,211 battles

OK, you convinced me but I haven't got the money to buy one so thanks for NOTHING :Smile-_tongue:. I've been owned by quite a few of them so far so they're pretty potent it seems, especially in the right hands.

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,645 posts
5,361 battles

I really should take mine out for a spin - but parked at T5/T6 IJN/USN lines at present.

Players
923 posts
13,965 battles
27 minutes ago, Shaka_D said:

OK, you convinced me but I haven't got the money to buy one so thanks for NOTHING :Smile-_tongue:. I've been owned by quite a few of them so far so they're pretty potent it seems, especially in the right hands.

Save up doubloons from ranked seasons and wait for the discounts, that's how I do it :)

• Cool 1

[ONE2]
Players
2,498 posts
14,570 battles

What I would like to see though is a slightly longer range for those excellent 203mm secondaries... :cap_money:

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
926 posts
11,630 battles
38 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

What I would like to see though is a slightly longer range for those excellent 203mm secondaries... :cap_money:

Yeh, those guns are brutal. I actually sank a 30k HP North Cal with my Kaga in close combat when he pulled around the island I was behind and scored only overpens on me. I sailed past his broadside and the 203mms kept hammering him with AP pens. 

Was a great sight I tell you 

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,384 posts
9,229 battles
29 minutes ago, Corvi said:

I actually sank a 30k HP North Cal with my Kaga in close combat when he pulled around the island I was behind and scored only overpens on me. I sailed past his broadside and the 203mms kept hammering him with AP pens. 

Was a great sight I tell you 

Replay or didn't happen. 

30k hp NC at 4.5km will rape you any day. 

Only planes could save you. 

Players
338 posts
7,745 battles

My poor old Kaga usually ends up as an endangered species in tier8, with tier 6 planes for some unknown reason. It does not end well, actually enjoy playing my Ranger more! Like nearly every ship it really looks great when it's top tier.

Players
579 posts
5,038 battles

T8 is perfectly fine for a kaga - you have enough planes to sacrife them. 

T9 is another thing .... Iowas, Neptunes, and so on are really no fly for t6 planes.

But i love my lil kaga too - 74% win rate :)

2,04 avg. kills 

[I401]
Beta Tester
1,077 posts
8,347 battles

The Saipan is stronger but in no way that fun. Its one of my favourite ships and definetly one of the strongest premiums in the game. (Belfast is obviously nr1, and i find the Kamikaze just as strong. Oh and i also have a special place in my heart for my Atago, but the Kaga is Top5 :fish_cute_2: )

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
926 posts
11,630 battles
2 hours ago, Ofenkartoffel said:

Replay or didn't happen. 

30k hp NC at 4.5km will rape you any day. 

Only planes could save you. 

Fighting distnace was like 700m tops. He came around the island sharp, shot at very weird angle at me with his front turrets, scored like 10k dmg. He slowed down and i started sailing broadside to him because I thought I can slip through between the NC and the island and buy some time to start my planes, bit the secondaries just rapes it at that close range. Was solid 4-6k dmg salvos every few seconds by secondaries, and since his turrets where too slow to follow me I busted him. Don't have a replay but got screens, will look for it when I'm home :)

Players
923 posts
13,965 battles
4 hours ago, return33 said:

T8 is perfectly fine for a kaga - you have enough planes to sacrife them. 

T9 is another thing .... Iowas, Neptunes, and so on are really no fly for t6 planes.

But i love my lil kaga too - 74% win rate :)

2,04 avg. kills 

I have 40 battles so far in my Kaga and I have a modest 85% win rate, with a mediocre 3.1 ships destroyed per game on average. In fact I lost my first 3 games after buying it, so I intend to buff up those rookie numbers :Smile_izmena:

2 hours ago, kfa said:

The Saipan is stronger but in no way that fun. Its one of my favourite ships and definetly one of the strongest premiums in the game. (Belfast is obviously nr1, and i find the Kamikaze just as strong. Oh and i also have a special place in my heart for my Atago, but the Kaga is Top5 :fish_cute_2: )

I've seen enough gameplay footage to know that I made the right choice with Kaga. Belfast and Saipan may perform better in competitive, but don't even come close to the amount of fun you can have in the Kaga.

I don't really care about the secondaries on a carrier, but it's good to know that when it's one-on-one vs the Saipan, you push him out of the cap.

Players
849 posts
2,954 battles

Kaga is a fantastic CV, but she does get wrecked by a great Saipan player, or even a AS Ranger who really knows how to guard and secure airspace. 

Kaga's planes are super slow, even the fighters. You are at the mercy of Saipan planes who will just chase you down no matter what you do. It's key to sneak planes around and get those strikes in against isolated BB's etc. It's always gratifying one shotting or leaving a BB on super low HP. If you're attacking tier V BB's they literally have no chance, it's like kicking puppies.

The dive bombers are crap though, low fire chance and are essentially the same as a stock Ryujo. 

I love mine though, have an 80% WR in mine.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,238 posts
11,727 battles
22 minutes ago, Drunken_Jedi said:

Kaga is a fantastic CV, but she does get wrecked by a great Saipan player, or even a AS Ranger who really knows how to guard and secure airspace. 

Kaga's planes are super slow, even the fighters. You are at the mercy of Saipan planes who will just chase you down no matter what you do. It's key to sneak planes around and get those strikes in against isolated BB's etc. It's always gratifying one shotting or leaving a BB on super low HP. If you're attacking tier V BB's they literally have no chance, it's like kicking puppies.

The dive bombers are crap though, low fire chance and are essentially the same as a stock Ryujo. 

I love mine though, have an 80% WR in mine.

I love the DB on the Kaga, it should set a new standard across the board! It's Alt Fire spread pattern is OP, guaranteed fire on any ship you've flooded IF you can actually hit it. 

Kaga is pretty much the only CV beneath IJN T9 and T10 (plus Enterprise if you're a German BB) that has massive Alpha and doesn't need to rely on DoT. 

Players
849 posts
2,954 battles
8 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

I love the DB on the Kaga, it should set a new standard across the board! It's Alt Fire spread pattern is OP, guaranteed fire on any ship you've flooded IF you can actually hit it. 

Kaga is pretty much the only CV beneath IJN T9 and T10 (plus Enterprise if you're a German BB) that has massive Alpha and doesn't need to rely on DoT. 

Well, that I don't dispute. I guess when I said they're crap is how paper they are, they die so very quickly... and you have just one wave of reserves. So in that sense they're a pretty limited platform.

I do LOVE the drop pattern though, it's great.

• Cool 1

Players
923 posts
13,965 battles

I find the DBs quite reliable to start two fires with the auto-drop on battleships, if you align the ellipse with the long ship axis. The manual drop is good for destroyers, but I wouldn't use it against other classes. The only thing not to like about them is how few you have to spare.

Players
849 posts
2,954 battles

It's actually enjoyable to use the manual drop on the Kaga's DB's, since they do rely on a bit of skill to be precise in your aiming. The reticule is so tiny that even if you're off by a little you'll miss everything. When you nail a DD for four of five hits on the manual drop you know you did good! 

I just wish CV play was more like that, instead of mostly a numbers game where encounters are more or less decided before they've begun. Variable load outs would go a way to solving that, switching squadron compositions mid-game to adapt to what your counterpart is doing on the battlefield.

But hey, I can dream right? As things go, I'll keep on farming reports in my Saipan, Kaga and Shokaku (and in the future Taiho and Hayukryu) and bring my karma level down to a big fat zero lmao.

[HOME]
[HOME]
Weekend Tester
964 posts
9,562 battles

First 2-3 games in mine were tier 9 games so I wasn't fond. Played one within the last week though and it was tier 7 max, and it was lovely :)

[HOME]
Beta Tester
1,880 posts
7,142 battles

Got a friend who likes the ship. He usually hates playing it because of all the shitty high tier games and if there are any AA ships nearby planes just rain from the sky.

On the other hand tho he got one good game during a day of only bad ones and ofc he got reported.

Personally though I wont buy it EVER unless they buff the secondary range. If they get it to 5.5-6.5 km base range I'll buy it... Such a waste, the IJN carrier with the best secondary potential ruined by some WG soft stat nerf. I mean its not like usable secondaries will make it OP haha.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,238 posts
11,727 battles

Needing Secondaries on a CV is into doing it wrong territory. But it would be nice if they had range so you've got a fighting chance at defending yourself yeah.

Saipan is an elegant and streamline ship. Unlike Kaga it has zero secondaries but the Strike deck is brutally efficient.  If you can manage your Fighters then you'll essentially win any strafe fight unless vs an AS Saipan or AS Ranger in which case you've already won anyway. Plus the double TB are just enough to cause the enemy problems, don't forget all your planes get crazy rearm and flying speed. I learnt how to improve my CV game with a Saipan but Kaga is definitely not for less experienced CV players.

Players
923 posts
13,965 battles

Been sealclubbing Iron Dukes all day long, with the occasional sealclub in t9. Enjoy the new RN BBs :Smile_teethhappy:

Untitled.jpg

Generic t5 sealclub with a bunch of Iron Dukes on each side:

Untitled1.thumb.jpg.603c00bc51a2ddde574e8444627f5211.jpg

Players
849 posts
2,954 battles

I've been doing the same lol. First Kaga game, denied a Kraken by a few hundred HP. Just one shotting BB's left right and centre. Hilarious.Even got some secondary hits on a Belfast that tried to ambush me. 150K easy.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this