Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aotearas

A bit of IFHE talk on the side

• You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.

11 posts in this topic

So, I'll make it short: I had originally planned to go with a lolIFHE build for whenever I reach the Henry IV., because 240 / 6 x 1.3 = 52 meaning it can penetrate the 50mm armour threshold seen on a good couple hightier ships (Khabarovsk and Mostkva troll armour, deck armour on german BBs, etc.).

Because why the hell not.

Now though with the upcoming planned changes to IFHE, I would trade an awful lot of fire chance and the initial value for beating that threshold doesn't exactly look like it would make up for it. It also reminded me how useless the IFHE skill is for heavy cruiser guns in general and makes for a poor captain skill consistency for some lines of ships, most prominently the russian cruiserline which consists mostly of ships that benefit greatly from IFHE (both 152mm and 180mm need IFHE to do consistent damage past the lowtiers) but once you finally reach the Moskva at tier X, suddely that captain skill is utterly wasted. So you either have to respec the captain if you want to use it on the Moskva, or you have to train up a completely new, specialized captain for it.

Seeing how WG is planning different IFHE effects depending on gun caliber (less firechance reduction for calibers of 139mm or less, greater firechance reduction for calibers of larger diameter), how about WG adds a third step: increase the HE penetration benefit for guns of a caliber of 203mm or higher so those guns get enough HE penetration to defeat the 50mm armour threshold (at the expense of firechance of course). That would require roughly a 1.5x multiplier instead of a 1.3x one.

So IFHE could look like this:

Gun caliber =< 139mm: 1.3x HE penetration, -1% firechance reduction

Gun caliber > 139mm and < 203mm: 1.3x HE penetration, -8% firechance reduction

Gun caliber => 203mm: 1.5x HE penetration, -8% firechance reduction

Anyone thinks this might be a worthwhile addition to the game (beware IFHE Zaos) or is it just me trying too hard to get a lolIFHE Henry to work?

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

So, I'll make it short: I had originally planned to go with a lolIFHE build for whenever I reach the Henry IV., because 240 / 6 x 1.3 = 52 meaning it can penetrate the 50mm armour threshold seen on a good couple hightier ships (Khabarovsk and Mostkva troll armour, deck armour on german BBs, etc.).

Because why the hell not.

Now though with the upcoming planned changes to IFHE, I would trade an awful lot of fire chance and the initial value for beating that threshold doesn't exactly look like it would make up for it. It also reminded me how useless the IFHE skill is for heavy cruiser guns in general and makes for a poor captain skill consistency for some lines of ships, most prominently the russian cruiserline which consists mostly of ships that benefit greatly from IFHE (both 152mm and 180mm need IFHE to do consistent damage past the lowtiers) but once you finally reach the Moskva at tier X, suddely that captain skill is utterly wasted. So you either have to respec the captain if you want to use it on the Moskva, or you have to train up a completely new, specialized captain for it.

Seeing how WG is planning different IFHE effects depending on gun caliber (less firechance reduction for calibers of 139mm or less, greater firechance reduction for calibers of larger diameter), how about WG adds a third step: increase the HE penetration benefit for guns of a caliber of 203mm or higher so those guns get enough HE penetration to defeat the 50mm armour threshold (at the expense of firechance of course). That would require roughly a 1.5x multiplier instead of a 1.3x one.

So IFHE could look like this:

Gun caliber =< 139mm: 1.3x HE penetration, -1% firechance reduction

Gun caliber > 139mm and < 203mm: 1.3x HE penetration, -8% firechance reduction

Gun caliber => 203mm: 1.5x HE penetration, -8% firechance reduction

Anyone thinks this might be a worthwhile addition to the game (beware IFHE Zaos) or is it just me trying too hard to get a lolIFHE Henry to work?

This.

Also, the games needs less IFHE, not more.

It needs to be somewhat less of an automatic choice for a few ships, and less of a never use for most.

As such I approve these alterations. Though they still leave IFHE entirely pointless with larger calibre guns, I'm fine with that.

1 person likes this

23 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

Make the IFHE Des Memes a reality!

You only get to pen a few more ships so its not worth it on the henri

Just now, wesley10x said:

why 240/6? KG5 is 356/4 because its 356mm guns and its HE is divided by 4 so its actually 89mm HE pen

Because the Henry IV has 240mm guns and uses the standard 1/6th caliber HE pen rule. HIV, not KGV.

15 minutes ago, wesley10x said:

You only get to pen a few more ships so its not worth it on the henri

"Few"

Bismarck, Tirpitz, FDG, Currywurst, only the most popular branch of BBs on the server.

And Khaba belt. And some deck armor like Moskva.

Well anyway they canceled the IFHE change because they are unable to handle it properly. Nerfing it on the penetration would nerf to the ground CLs that doesn't need it, and they almost doesn't care about the fire chance.

So IFHE on Henri IV is actually still worth taking.

They just decided to buff it on lower caliber and voilà.

10 hours ago, ShinGetsu said:

And Khaba belt. And some deck armor like Moskva.

Well anyway they canceled the IFHE change because they are unable to handle it properly. Nerfing it on the penetration would nerf to the ground CLs that doesn't need it, and they almost doesn't care about the fire chance.

So IFHE on Henri IV is actually still worth taking.

They just decided to buff it on lower caliber and voilà.

Where did you read all this?

21 minutes ago, imendars said:

Where did you read all this?

First, the change already happened. IFHE now only give -1% fire chance instead of -3% on caliber lower than 139mm.

Second, I know all this because my clan is very good friend with one of the top EU clan (UFR) and they did participates in WG test with others clans on rebalancing the competitive meta, and they had all the information on IFHE changes as they were testing it themselves.

1 person likes this

14 hours ago, Aotearas said:

Because the Henry IV has 240mm guns and uses the standard 1/6th caliber HE pen rule. HIV, not KGV.

i already correected this before you made this message

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0