Server Restart - 30 October, 05:00 UTC Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Sargento_YO

Option for disabling autodrop from torpedo planes.

11 comments in this topic

Players
1,421 posts
8,478 battles

This is something that has been bugging me for a long time.

When you use torpedo planes and assign a target to attack they will automatically select an angle at the front of the ship. If the ship changes it's course the angle will change with it and sometimes doing really weird

things and making targetting very hard.

5994741d29f6b_UntitledProject222.gif.c00a7fb93804797678148112c756521c.gif

I had much weirder cases, specially when a destroyer is zig-zagging making really hard to select the angle of attack. Often I try to click the moving circle and miss it making the plane move to where I clicked instead of attacking, which is specially annoying when executing an anvil attack because if this happens with the second squad the first one will start it's attack run. In an anvil attack the timing is crucial.

Another problem is when I have to delay one of the attacking squads. I tell both squads to attack a target but I notice one of them will attack sooner than the other, so I order them to move to a certain place, waiting for the other squad to be in position. Then I re-select the target but then the above mentioned scenario happens (specially when the target realizes he is under attack and starts zig-zagging, usually destroyers starts turning around widly). It is really frustrating to see an opportunity wasted just for this weird game mechanic.

So, what I ask is that there should be an option to disable the auto leading movement. Or at least they should make easier to click on the angle when it's moving.

PD: sorry my bad english.

Beta Tester
165 posts
5,308 battles

At T6 you will get manual drop, which you will be using 99,9%  of a time, so what you are describing won't bother you. Til then i think you just have to make do with what you have.

(another great effect of WG removing manual drop from T4 and T5 btw)

Players
1,421 posts
8,478 battles

I know, I have a Taiho among others. Thing is that even on my Taiho I use the automatic drop when I make an anvil attack because in automatic mode the planes would make last second corrections when the target tries to evade them, also I found much easier to coordinate squads than using the manual drop. The problem is when the icon for select the target starts spinning widly around making it hard to select it. (like I show on the image)

[BBMMX]
Players
1,053 posts
5,361 battles

While I agree that removing manual drops from earlier tier CVs was a silly move, I don't agree that restoring it because players can evade your torps is a good reason. Players are supposed to try to evade your torps, they're not supposed to simply shrug and accept that they're going to eat torps unless they have no option.

Players
1,163 posts
18,741 battles

Even in autodrops the bearing can be manually adjusted, and the game doesn't try to look for a "better" aiming after doing so. I mean, you set the drop, and if that's the only thing you do then the server has free reign to change the angle of the drop (more to the bow usually when trying to avoid a landmass, from port to starboard - or vice versa- if the flight distance becomes shorter). But if you manually adjust the angle by clicking and dragging the little arrow/icon at the beginning of the torp pattern, then it becomes fixed and you have to keep using the mouse to change it. Same for bomb drops: you turn the drop reticle so it envelops the ship instead of keeping it oblique or perpendicular to it, thus maximising the reticle-to-ship's-plan ratio for your RNG-dependant bombs.

Salute.

[SHAFT]
Players
9,877 posts
9,003 battles

I think it was the worst thing they could do to remove Manual drop on lower tiers. Fine u try to stop sealclubbing i get that, but when a new player gets to T5 and start to get T7 MM maybe even paired against a T6 CV, thats no fun at all with autodrop.

T6 CV can just strafe u to death and u cant do anything about it. Tried a couple of matches with the bogue when they made the changes and imo it was unplayable. Recently i grinded the bogue in coop, which was actually kinda fun.

Now that i have the Independence i gotta learn manualdrop all over again since i used in only for a short time and then stopped playing CVs.

First rounds were horrible took me several matches till i got the hang of manual drop again now ofc vs 30+ knot BBs too...

Learning CVs in Coop is also in general not worth anything id say. Cant compare evading, Def AA human players against bots.

I think the better move would have been to nerf the planes/damage on the lower tiers so u get the hang of playing CVs, and sealclubbers would have had less of an impact.

[BBMMX]
Players
1,053 posts
5,361 battles
7 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

I think it was the worst thing they could do to remove Manual drop on lower tiers. Fine u try to stop sealclubbing i get that, but when a new player gets to T5 and start to get T7 MM maybe even paired against a T6 CV, thats no fun at all with autodrop.

I've recently started playing CVs and am currently at tier 5 in the IJN line. What I've found is that CVs are matched by tier so if I'm on one team, there's a tier 5 CV on the other. There are occasional battles with 2 CVs where one's a higher tier but both teams still have them.

Players
1,421 posts
8,478 battles
3 hours ago, Estaca_de_Bares said:

Even in autodrops the bearing can be manually adjusted, and the game doesn't try to look for a "better" aiming after doing so. I mean, you set the drop, and if that's the only thing you do then the server has free reign to change the angle of the drop (more to the bow usually when trying to avoid a landmass, from port to starboard - or vice versa- if the flight distance becomes shorter). But if you manually adjust the angle by clicking and dragging the little arrow/icon at the beginning of the torp pattern, then it becomes fixed and you have to keep using the mouse to change it. Same for bomb drops: you turn the drop reticle so it envelops the ship instead of keeping it oblique or perpendicular to it, thus maximising the reticle-to-ship's-plan ratio for your RNG-dependant bombs.

Salute.

yes. I allways adjust the angle of the drop. The problem as I said (or at least I tried to say... I acknoledge my english it's not good) it's when you try to adjust that angle and the icon to do it starts turning widly around, making it very hard to even select it. And if one miss it the attack it's canceled.

Players
849 posts
2,954 battles

I think a lot of people just stopped playing the low tier CV's, which was never really the issue... and switched to their Nikolai and Konig Albert divisions... which are the problem. It's just that newer players are oblivious and sail in straight lines, that's not the CV players problem. It's theres. If they can't learn from their mistakes and learn to respect torpedo bombers like they should then TOO BAD. Let them get sunk and leave the game, if that is their biggest issue f**k me they'll have fun when they get to the higher tiers where there's endless smoke HE spamming Kutuzovs/Belfasts with radar and hydro and even more potent planes for them to deal with.

I would easily say the biggest problem the games playerbase is that everyone seems to be so f**king oblivious to whats going on around them. I've had really terrible teams tonight, nearly every game I played was between 80-150k damage... all losses. All because the team decides that the best course to victory is to group together and lemming to the f**king map edge and let them cap us out without even scraping a single kill between the bloody lot of them. I swear my cat could be a more effective member of the team than these brain dead idiots.

[SHAFT]
Players
9,877 posts
9,003 battles
13 hours ago, Strappster said:

I've recently started playing CVs and am currently at tier 5 in the IJN line. What I've found is that CVs are matched by tier so if I'm on one team, there's a tier 5 CV on the other. There are occasional battles with 2 CVs where one's a higher tier but both teams still have them.

Yes i didnt clarify that, ofc i meant it like that :P

But doesnt make it more enjoyable only because there is one on the other team suffering aswell.

Should have been easy enough to prevent that and give T5 CVs protected MM.

[BBMMX]
Players
1,053 posts
5,361 battles
1 hour ago, DFens_666 said:

Should have been easy enough to prevent that and give T5 CVs protected MM.

Agreed. It's as though WG want CV players to indulge in teamwork or something, which is annoying when you're using your tier V planes to spot and harass the enemy while your tier VI team mate is flying his planes around the border for the first half of the battle as he tries to catch a BB lurking in the rear echelon.

I'm not bitter.*

* Yes I am.

Sign in to follow this