You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
_EQ

island visibility & cyclones

22 comments in this topic

[GOT]
[GOT]
Players
10 posts
13,666 battles

hey all,
regarding cyclones; when a cyclone in it's full power in WOW, visibility is 8km.

Cyclones are full of rain and thunder, and once inside a storm you can't see anything at all.

My question; why can i still see mountains and islands that are far further away?

IMHO, you should see nothing at all outside 8KM cyclone zone. only on the small map but not on the playscreen.

It makes it far more interesting or (frustrating) for a battleplay.

what do you think?

• Cool 1

[ONE2]
Players
3,084 posts
21,477 battles

My guess is makes it easier to navigate? And of course, seeing absolutely nothing but blur makes for a poor visual gameplay...:fish_book:

[ONE2]
Players
3,084 posts
21,477 battles

That would be awesome... :Smile_great: Although I suspect that the graphics for any such animation might be quite demanding...

[GOT]
[GOT]
Players
10 posts
13,666 battles
6 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

My guess is makes it easier to navigate? And of course, seeing absolutely nothing but blur makes for a poor visual gameplay...:fish_book:

how does that sound logic? If you don't know a island is just in front of you? you still see 8km but that's it. I find it more unrealistic to be in a cyclone with 8km visibility and still see a island 20km away. thats silly.

Beta Tester
75 posts
7 minutes ago, puxflacet said:

i hope we will see also some proper waves one day

would look nice, but not so sure about the effect it would have on game play! Can you imagine trying to hit anything (Islands, the Ocean) if your boat is going up and down waves! :Smile_teethhappy:

[ONE2]
Players
3,084 posts
21,477 battles

Oh well, what can i say? WG and realism don't always mix... Sometimes game designers have to go with gameplay rather than to mimic realism. It is annoying, i know, but Sith happens. :Smile_amazed:

Players
1,627 posts
4,330 battles
16 minutes ago, puxflacet said:

i hope we will see also some proper waves one day

yes, and then immediately coming new mod, that removing this proper wave =))

like fog

Modder
1,691 posts
3,667 battles
8 hours ago, Loonsbro said:

would look nice, but not so sure about the effect it would have on game play! Can you imagine trying to hit anything (Islands, the Ocean) if your boat is going up and down waves! :Smile_teethhappy:

well the guns had stabilization irl but even if they dont i doubt that wg would make this matters, since they are always trying to make their games as comfy as possible. just look how easy is aiming - you just move the reticle to the place you want and click. you dont have to handle elevation, calculate distance, etc ,besides water splashes are super quick so that they wont obstruct the view too much even if that doesnt look "right"...its as comfy as possible

but i am the kind of guy who would sacrifice some comfort if things could be more immersive

and when we are talking about immersion. what i was never fond of is the stuff wg is placing on the maps. all those villages, even cities, fairy castles, etc. are way to cheesy for my taste. however the main problem is that these are not in the same scale as the ships so they look rather stupid if you ask me, like hobbit villages. i would rather have just few minor objects around but in scale: like lighthouse, weather station, lone fisherman's hut but not huge castle which looks out of place and is super cheesy. and it seems wg is adding more and more of these on the maps with every patch. it seems like every tiny island has its own small village right now. i appreciate their effort but in my opinion it is waste of time and resources

sorry for the off topic

• Cool 1

[HOO]
Players
2,191 posts

Simple answer for this is charts. Naval charts are absurdly accurate and a warship had navigators, passive sonar, many had radar in WW2 and experienced pilots who knew the local waters. Plus of course even in lousy weather any ship posted lookouts far more so at action stations, apart from their eyes they had ears and a knowledge of what it sounds like when waves hit rocks.

If you are that worried about realism, why not mention that we can happily slam a multi thousand tonne destroyer, let alone a cruiser or battleship into an island at 30+ knots with no ill effects, in reality the damage caused by running aground or ramming another vessel is monumental. 

Players
723 posts
5,774 battles

The islands need to be made invisible too! It would be very easy to do this very simple graphical update. Proof that it's easy? GTA 3 came out in 2001 and it had a proper fog that gradually made buildings and islands ever less visible at distance.

Beta Tester
268 posts
20,094 battles
15 hours ago, Republiek said:

hey all,
regarding cyclones; when a cyclone in it's full power in WOW, visibility is 8km.

Cyclones are full of rain and thunder, and once inside a storm you can't see anything at all.

My question; why can i still see mountains and islands that are far further away?

IMHO, you should see nothing at all outside 8KM cyclone zone. only on the small map but not on the playscreen.

It makes it far more interesting or (frustrating) for a battleplay.

Really? Islands? You can see enemy shells coming from 20km during a cyclone lol (and yet magically cant see the ship that fire them cause its such a tiny ship :Smile_hiding: )

[BBMMX]
Players
1,053 posts
5,361 battles

I have enough problems sailing into islands when the weather's calm and now you want to hide the bloody things? :cap_wander:

10 hours ago, SmartassNoob said:

GTA 3 came out in 2001 and it had a proper fog that gradually made buildings and islands ever less visible at distance.

Fun fact: Silent Hill was lauded for its atmosphere because the town was shrouded in mist but this was done because the PS1 hardware wasn't able to render the town scenery with sufficient depth so the developers added mist to disguise it.

Players
1,059 posts
7,793 battles

You can already see islands that are outside your render range, regardless of whether you are in a cyclone or not. Making the islands not render in a storm wouldn't be more fun in my opinion.

Players
2,385 posts
15,436 battles

And when we are on the subject of cyclones, visibility should be limited to 8 km under all circumstances - including radar usage. I have no problem with being detected on the minimap, outside 8 km visibility range, that is all fine.

But with current implementation it is nothing else then 2-4 km free stealth fire zone.

Players
1,091 posts
2,423 battles
17 hours ago, BeauNidl3 said:

Simple answer for this is charts. Naval charts are absurdly accurate and a warship had navigators, passive sonar, many had radar in WW2 and experienced pilots who knew the local waters. Plus of course even in lousy weather any ship posted lookouts far more so at action stations, apart from their eyes they had ears and a knowledge of what it sounds like when waves hit rocks.

If you are that worried about realism, why not mention that we can happily slam a multi thousand tonne destroyer, let alone a cruiser or battleship into an island at 30+ knots with no ill effects, in reality the damage caused by running aground or ramming another vessel is monumental. 

I'm sorry, but that first part is absolute nonsense.

Navigational charts are not nearly as accurate you think they are. Even current days where it is relatively easy to map the sea floor with sophisticated SONAR, most of the world is unsurveyed or not surveyed in a long long time. (Current ECDIS charts actually display accuracy these days, and the lack of accuracy in most areas is shocking).

Passive SONAR is absolutely useless for navigational purposes. Seafloor and islands don't emit sound so aren't detected. You need an active echosounder in order to check the depth. And even if you know the current depth, that doesn't mean there isn't a cliff 10m ahead.

RADAR is completely useless in rain that heavy. RADAR works by reflected radio signals at a certain frequency. This frequency is also reflected by water. So also by rain. And the amount of rain that comes down will completely blind a RADAR. Even a modern RADAR with all kinds of sophisticated clutter surpression means. Back then the RADAR was still in its early days.

An experienced pilot is useless as well when he is blinded. And blinded you are in a typhoon.

Now, I am not a Naval expert, but a navigator. And I HIGHLY doubt that they would post any lookouts anywhere outside. A lookout on the bow would be washed away at the first wave rolling over the ship. Even the ones on the bridge wings wouldn't be safe. On top of that. With a wall of water surrounding you that limits your view to about 10m means that a lookout doesn't have that much use.

The idea of sound is ridiculous as well. Yes, lookouts do listen. But have you ever heard rain come down so hard that you can't see 10m and that breathing becomes difficult? It drowns out any other sound. On top of that even if they did that, the moment you hear waves breaking on rocks you are already too late. Ships already aground.

In reality, no ship comes out of a typhoon unscathed. So if you want realism, all ships should suffer a constant DoT in a typhoon. A DoT becoming more severe the more damage you have suffered.

• Cool 3

Players
2,385 posts
15,436 battles

Why are you guys talking 'reality'? OP is just referring to visual effects (immersion) and nothing else.

Bigger waves during cyclone and rain, making it impossible to see beyond certain threshold is enough and very nice idea suggested multiple times already.

@Republiek you can also add this to suggestion thread (pinned) if it doesn't exist there.

[BBMMX]
Players
1,053 posts
5,361 battles
4 hours ago, stewie533 said:

So if you want realism, all ships should suffer a constant DoT in a typhoon. A DoT becoming more severe the more damage you have suffered.

I wish I could double-like this post. Not only did you explain things I didn't know in a comprehensive yet understandable way, your capitalisation on DoT meant the penny finally dropped for when I hear "dot damage" in streams meaning damage over time. Thank you, have a medal.* :Smile_medal:

* Medal is totally not a chocolate coin stuck to a piece of fabric. Honest.

Players
1,091 posts
2,423 battles
1 hour ago, Strappster said:

I wish I could double-like this post. Not only did you explain things I didn't know in a comprehensive yet understandable way, your capitalisation on DoT meant the penny finally dropped for when I hear "dot damage" in streams meaning damage over time. Thank you, have a medal.* :Smile_medal:

* Medal is totally not a chocolate coin stuck to a piece of fabric. Honest.

You're welcome. :)

For some reason, when someone spews complete nonsense about my job, I tend to get riled up a bit. And explain (extensively) why it is wrong. :P

[GOT]
[GOT]
Players
10 posts
13,666 battles
4 hours ago, Skyllon said:

@Republiek you can also add this to suggestion thread (pinned) if it doesn't exist there.

Did this before, no reply.