Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
__Helmut_Kohl__

RN BBs : Their Achilles' Heel

91 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
3,318 posts
14,515 battles

Torpedo damage is dealt to the citadel. So they can only heal 10% of it. 

They have nothing to spot torpedoes in the water (no plane/hydro). 

It will be very risky for them to use their concealment to get into the 1st line of battle. 

Besides a higher citadel, they should get worse AA, so CVs can be prevent them from going lone-wolf. 

Beta Tester
301 posts
13,566 battles
5 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

Rrehehehereaallly! Most interesting info, especially since I like to play DD... Good stuff! :Smile_Default:

Just make sure you don't get spotted by an enemy DD with an undetected RN BB close to it or you'll find out what short fuse AP can do..

• Cool 4

Players
2,774 posts
17,292 battles

All battleships can only repair 10% torpedo damage. (Damage is mitigated through the torpedo belt)

Only Nelson and Conqueror have no aircraft. (All battleships have short duration aircraft that only last for 90 - 100 seconds)

Weakness? It's no different for any other battleship.

[ONE2]
Players
3,084 posts
21,562 battles

Yeah, I play with Jap DD's mostly so enemy DD avoidance is a given any day. Though often the running away bit is a tad tricky, since the mid-tier ones tend to be slower that others...:cap_hmm:

Weekend Tester
997 posts
5,826 battles
21 minutes ago, Ofenkartoffel said:

It will be very risky for them to use their concealment to get into the 1st line of battle. 

They will delete you in one salvo, because of overconfidenceTM. Then use their second best turning circle to just evade everything you've thrown towards them.

Again this is a quasi-weakness WG is so fond of 'balancing' BBs with.

The balancing factor of RN BBs is actually their huge range. 99% of BB players cannot play this game at all so they will hang back and snipe (and will still achieve average results). The 1% will make your life miserable if you are a DD/CA player and WG will never fix it since 'the ship's stats are okay'.

• Cool 8

[ONE2]
Players
3,084 posts
21,562 battles

Suddenly this deal begins to seem a little less sweet every post. Oh well, we will see how it goes when actually facing one. :cap_rambo:

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
891 posts
8,490 battles
28 minutes ago, Ofenkartoffel said:

Good nerf would be shorter AA range, so CV-Torpedoes can be a hard-counter to prevent them from going lone-wolf. 

Maybe vigilance will help, from what I hear it is recommended from youtubers.

[BLOBS]
Beta Tester
5,179 posts
12,645 battles
7 minutes ago, tank276 said:

Maybe vigilance will help, from what I hear it is recommended from youtubers.

Or you just play them like other BB. Were do you get good Flanking shots into a BB this days in high tir?  90% it's bow or rear shots and no BB has torp protection there and  catapult fighter aren't up all the time unless it's from a crusier..... 

[BLOBS]
Beta Tester
5,179 posts
12,645 battles

dobble post deleted

12 minutes ago, tank276 said:

Edited by Spellfire40

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,556 posts
1,899 battles

I agree, so much bow on action these days I wonder if it is even worth discussing how weak a ships side armor is.

Sometimes it really feels like playing WoT 2.0 where every plays like a heavy tank.

[ONE2]
Players
3,084 posts
21,562 battles

Yeah absurd really, especially when you realize that the ship armor always was thickest on the sides and useless or none at the bow. Who ever heard of 381 mm rounds bouncing off 30mm of flimsy armor and then penetrating from the side, where there is 300mm of belt armor?

This is of course also due to their gun dispersion ellipse being Horizontal instead of Vertical, as in proper ballistics. Funnily enough guns placed in the same gun turret should actually not have so much (or any) sideways dispersion , but can have slight differences in elevation, when firing.

Current dispersion ellipse is just a direct copy-paste from WoT. Turning it 90 degrees to reflect the true situation would not only correspond to the actual situation in naval battles better, but also magically increase the penetrations and the number of hits scored in a bow-on action (ref. battle of Tsushima, Denmark Straight) because it would also allow players to use all their guns most of the time making it a more fun pew-pew action while increasing the survivability of Cruisers overall, since they are much narrower than BB's (in this mechanic, the width of a ship would become the dominant factor, especially at long ranges). Doing this would probably encourage more mobile gameplay and discourage head-on camping we are seeing now. With the current horizontal dispersion pattern Cruisers are always an easy-kill because a large cruiser can be nearly as long as any battleship and therefore equally easy to hit with none of the armor.

This of course, would explain why most players, resenting their lowly under-achiver status as merely providing citadel-fodder for battleships tend to avoid playing cruisers after the first few nasty experiences.

• Cool 5

[BONI]
Players
1,257 posts
12,064 battles

On the bright side, if you happily let fires burn so you can get Dreadnought, floodings should be less of an issue. I'll get Vigilance so I can at least turn 2-hit salvos into 1-hit, and then the TA mod at t8 because BB concealment is kind of an oxymoron with planes and DDs around.

• Cool 1

[XTREM]
Players
1,037 posts
9,218 battles

They have another huge weakness.

Yesterday I encountered a Conqueror with my Mogami. IFHE deals about 5k per volley on those 32mm plates over the entire ship. In the short time it took him to turn and escape, 3/4 health was gone.

[ONE2]
Players
3,084 posts
21,562 battles

Aaahhha! A good thing I also have a Mogami with the 15*150mm setup, Inertia Fuse and Demolition Expert then... Now where is that Conqueror hiding? :cap_win:

• Cool 1

[BAZI]
Beta Tester
2,851 posts
11,014 battles
15 minutes ago, walter3kurtz said:

They have another huge weakness.

Yesterday I encountered a Conqueror with my Mogami. IFHE deals about 5k per volley on those 32mm plates over the entire ship. In the short time it took him to turn and escape, 3/4 health was gone.

And them he presses repair and gets 2/3 of the HP back. With that heal, vulnerability to HE isnt that big of a deal.

• Cool 1

[XTREM]
Players
1,037 posts
9,218 battles
4 minutes ago, allufewig said:

And them he presses repair and gets 2/3 of the HP back. With that heal, vulnerability to HE isnt that big of a deal.

If you can strip HP that fast, you can be sure it's a big deal. Heal isn't always available and the ship can easily melt before getting back into cover.

Alpha Tester
1,102 posts
2,731 battles

The heal gives what? 44%? Even with the repair flagg, this does not make it up to 2/3 of it´s HP, if my maths are correct. In addition, sooner or later, those repairs will be depleted. With their decreased health pool and vulnerabilitiy to IFHE, where is the issue? You want them to be countered by cruisers? With the decreased HP pool, they are indeed vulnerable to torbedoes, more than other BBs. Torpedo hits will take a bigger ammount of their HP, and where other BBs might survive a crippling torpedo salvo, RN BBs will simply go down. Time will tell, how their HP/repair will work out. Considering their great range and effective HE ammunition, i somehow fear for a lot more snipers and campers, than brawlers...

Players
849 posts
2,954 battles

Ships like the Conqueror will be immenseley powerful when played with a good division. Say a Gearing, Conq and perhaps a Hindenberg. You'll get the amazing smoke from the Gearing, long range German hydro from the Hindenberg and concealment to compliment the Conq to a point. I feel a coordinated team like that will just amplify the Conquerors strengths immensely because it won't have to worry about torpedo threat with the DD and CA "scouting" them for him. Will be intersting.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
3,318 posts
14,515 battles
1 minute ago, Drunken_Jedi said:

Ships like the Conqueror will be immenseley powerful when played with a good division. Say a Gearing, Conq and perhaps a Hindenberg. You'll get the amazing smoke from the Gearing, long range German hydro from the Hindenberg and concealment to compliment the Conq to a point. I feel a coordinated team like that will just amplify the Conquerors strengths immensely because it won't have to worry about torpedo threat with the DD and CA "scouting" them for him. Will be intersting.

This division might benefit even more from a Missouri with concealment and Radar. 

Players
849 posts
2,954 battles

Well yes and no, for a start that would constitute a fail division lol. The Hiden is the ultimate T10 jack of all trades ship. It's got good guns, torps, hydro/def fire with some pretty troll armour especially at close range (watch Flamu's recent vid on that). Perhaps a Minotaur for it's ridiculous DPM and potential radar or even more smoke/hydro.

Players
2,199 posts
14,266 battles
3 hours ago, Ofenkartoffel said:

Good nerf would be shorter AA range, so CV-Torpedoes can be a hard-counter to prevent them from going lone-wolf. 

just nerf their AAA and you have real nemesis to BBs

Sign in to follow this