Ferry_25

Shima captain. Asking your advice

7 comments in this topic

Players
4,389 posts
12,087 battles

Looking for your advice and asking to think with me. My shima capt is now 18 points. .1M xp earned so 2 to go to get to 19. 1 free point now. 2 when he's 19. Current captain build (which is working for me the best): 1 PM (I assume I have 12 hits anyway when I take PT). 2 LS. 3: TAE and SI. 4: CE and RPF (I know: noob skill but I find it highly valuable. Still didn't pull a Flammu with it though (shooting to the RPF signal) but still able to outwit the reds in lots of cases because of RPF. Ship build: MAM1, ASM1, TTM3, PM1, PM2, CSM1 with the 12 km torps. These skills are, again, working the best for me so I won't change them. The question for advice is the last 2 points... Shipcomrade suggests take AR. But playing Shima in my case (aggressive-ish playstyle; you'll find me most of the times at or very close to the main front) I found out when I'm caught I get to a reload time of 0 seconds combined with fire immunity for the rest of that match very quickly. As you can see I'm using Shima mainly as a torp spitter. Also using this captain often as a stowaway in Kamikaze (R). I'm already at maximum possible torp reload time. The numbers of battles in which I survive an encounter badly damaged are quite rare. Either I make it in 1 piece or in 10M pieces. So is this the right choice for me in your opinion? In fact I was more thinking about EM Or maybe SSE for a T2 last skill. PT would be a viable T1 skill to take. But IMO there's no other needful T1 skill available for Shima. If I shoot it'll be HE in 99.9% of the cases anyway. So EL is useless. And I take the "detected" sign as a synonym for incoming anyway in all my ships, until proven otherwise. So I'm asking to think with me. I know it's my call but I highly value your opinion on the Forum. Always have for that matter.

[GOT]
[GOT]
Players
10 posts
13,679 battles

Had to dive deep and investigate all those acronyms. (...)

But I did because Shima is my all time favorite ship.I have more or less the same setup. Except PT iso PM. Reason; When I get hit, I use DCPII, SGII and try to get undetected again asap. PT shows me if other ships are targeting me also. AR should be the best option but isn’t the for Shima because dodging incoming is already a task of itself where you don't have time to target and shoot the enemy and maneuvering at the same time at close range.

IMHO, the choices are not perfect for DD’s but better than before. The setup now is 99% okish. The only best setup at the moment. 

So actually, you should have one point more, a 20 point capt for the exceptional experienced capt.

My 2 cents.

Good hunting, ninja capt. Hope to see you in battle.

[IRQ]
Players
2,930 posts
7,510 battles

I use the same as above.

Priority Target isn't necessary if you aim to get undetected ASAP anyway. It's only if you intend to stay detected and shoot it has a decent value. Preventive Maintenance keeps your torpedoes from being damaged when you do get detected, so that's my T1 skill pick.

Last Stand is obvious, and Adrenaline Rush helps a lot, since you can stay alive for a long time even with a sliver of health left.

Torpedo Armament Expertise is just nice to have, since torpedoes are your main weapon, and Survivability Expert does help a decent amount. These are probably the most replacable, though, since Vigilance is occasionally useful, and Demolition Expert or Basic Firing Training are nice if you use your guns a lot (but remember it's still not a gunboat, so other skills are probably better).

Concealment expert is as obvious as Last Stand, and Radio Location helps a ton if you know how to interpret it. It can especially make that sliver-of-health gameplay last longer if there are stealthy destroyers around. If you use your guns often, Advanced Firing Training is an option, especially if you've picked something like that from the previous tier. I'd not recommend it personally, but each to their own.

Players
4,389 posts
12,087 battles

thanks for the advice. @180k now lvl 18. I think it'll be EM. At least I can do something back in knife fights. AR isn't for me: either I get out unharmed or I'm hammered into the sea quickly. But again thanks for your insight.

Players
4,389 posts
12,087 battles

got to 19! And EM it is.finally I can give at least some response in knife fights. Usually lose them vs non IJN' s but shooting away the motivation for a next knife fight!!

Happy Camper torper!