Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
SHDRKN4792

North Carolina guns.

33 comments in this topic

Players
1,806 posts
5,868 battles

So apparently I wasted 5 tiers adapting to how to aim with USN BBs for nothing. That's my conclusion about North Carolina, which I recently unlocked. I never though I'd say this but I miss the Colorado, it's better than this thing, at least you can hit something.

What's wrong with NC shells? Yeah, I noticed the shells changed from slow to even more f***ing slower, like they literally pause two seconds in midair or something, it's awful. The funny thing I noticed too is that Iowa recovers Colorado's usual shell speed a.k.a something which you can actually aim and hope to hit something with it. I know that change would be for the "historical accuracy" applied at random in this game but since that is only applied at times it makes me wonder what make them think that such a change was good for someone grinding the line.

I mean... one of the major factors about BB is that with your reload time you have to make your salvos count. Sure, sometimes you'll come across someone that knows what WASD does and dodge you but that's not the main problem. The shell speed is so bad you need an unusual absurd lead that completely throws off you aim for even any other BB if you play NC for a long time. And I have the problem of playing all three BB lines + cruisers from time to time, I can quickly readjust my aim for each BB line but NC is a huge pain in the [edited], honestly.

So the idea is that I now have to grind through NC, get used to how this piece of [edited] aims just to get to Iowa which aims as usual again? Really? :Smile_facepalm: What's even the point of that change for game balance? I just don't understand it but I can't stand NC. I might as well free XP the ship when I get enough XP. I know I can expect nothing about this, but really, is it me the only one that thinks that even if it's historically inacurate NC should have in game the same shell speed as all other 406 mm USN guns just so it's a more confortable and uniform grind? What do you guys think?

Players
1,806 posts
5,868 battles
Just now, cro_pwr said:

tl;dr: NC is fine. (one of the better tier for tier BBs in the game)

I'm not talking about the ship, I'm talking about the shells.

Players
2,577 posts
11,389 battles

I think I was told before that the shells dip while landing after the initial arc, so for example if you aim lower it'll just plunge into the water in front of the the targeted ship instead of its citadel. Lol I hope this makes sense. But yeah NC is a great ship. I had the same initial issue and feeling as you but after getting use to it the NC it is kinda ridiculous and very accurate. I've double citadelled another NC giving me broadside from 20km away before and got called a cheat. Out of the 3 tier 8 BBs I find it the most accurate, and tanky as long as you don't show your sides and either bow on or angle.

Players
2,735 posts
10,310 battles
Just now, SHDRKN4792 said:

I'm not talking about the ship, I'm talking about the shells.

shells are comming out of the guns that are part of the ship. When I'm talking about a ship, I'm talking about guns and shells as well.
Did I need a bit of adjustment when shooting USN BB guns? Hell yea, I missed 90% of my shots when I first started playing Missouri because I didn't play USN BBS past t5 for a year.
After 15 games I got the feel of it, and now its fine.

Players
1,806 posts
5,868 battles

Well, yeah, not going to argue that, I've never played the Missouri or Iowa yet but from the shell speed it's the same as aiming with a Colorado, which is way easier and easy to get the feel for it than with a NC.

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
13,898 posts
19,720 battles

Woah, I never noticed that NC has slower shells than Colo tbh.

(Then again the last time I played Colo was pre-buff, which was one of the most horrendous gaming experiences I've had ever. Of all time.)

The only thing that really bothers me about NC is the troll dispersion. 2.0 Sigma helps but basically only influences how often you get lucky (contrary to popular belief, sigma DOES NOT influence dispersion directly in any way). Iowa's guns are much more reliable and comfortable to use with the accuracy upgrade. Imo shell speed isn't that big of a liability, though. Higher arcs also means a better chance of reaching submerged citadels and defeating KM cruiser turtlebacks at mid-close range.

On the other hand, giving NC good accuracy would make her overpowered.

• Cool 1

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
5,075 posts
11,104 battles

They take some getting used to, but once you do, those sweet plunging 16" shells just don't **** around.

Stick with them a bit longer, get the engine upgrade and B hull ASAP,and the NC will start showing you her true colors.
Don't bother with the FCS upgrade, honestly I don't even plan on unlocking it even after I'm down grinding to the Iowa.

Players
1,806 posts
5,868 battles
1 minute ago, El2aZeR said:

The only thing that really bothers me about NC is the troll dispersion. 2.0 Sigma helps but basically only influences how often you get lucky (contrary to popular belief, sigma DOES NOT influence dispersion directly in any way). Iowa's guns are much more reliable and comfortable to use with the accuracy upgrade.

On the other hand, giving NC good accuracy would make her overpowered.

Yes, I noticed that, and I'm fine with the current dispersion, I could deal with that if I just could use the normal lead I used the last 5 tiers and will use the next two. I'm fine with a dispersion that even if I correctly aim at the ship dispersions says I shoot all around except the ship from time to time. Hell, yesterday I got so frustrated I rushed a Bismarck under 10 km to hit him and suddenly I crushed the Bismarck from full health in three salvos. The crap dispersion NC has it's completely explained with that sheer power the shells have. But I can't stand the slow travel time and the massive lead you suddenly need.

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
13,898 posts
19,720 battles

Meh, as the others have said, you get used to it. You can also counteract the slow shell speed to some extend by going full concealment to sneak yourself to mid range where high tier USN BBs excel.

Sub-12km concealment with shells this powerful is absolutely haram for cruisers. :Smile_trollface:

[CATS]
Players
26,714 posts
14,317 battles

I suggest to get closer.

You fail to notice that these shells are deadly to enemies at all distances. While other BB tend to overpen enemy cruisers at sub 8km, the NC tends to oneshot them.

• Cool 2

Players
430 posts
4,269 battles

Part of the reason for needing to give extra lead might also be down to the ships you're facing getting quicker at the higher tiers. This is especially the case for BBs... A ship sailing broadside at a higher speed would require more lead to hit even if the shell velocity didn't change.

Anyway, this issue can easily be alleviated by getting closer to your prey. I'd say a bit north or south of 15km is the sweetspot for the NC (if facing enemy BBs, closer for cruisers)

[HOO]
Beta Tester
682 posts
6,514 battles
58 minutes ago, SHDRKN4792 said:

What's wrong with NC shells? Yeah, I noticed the shells changed from slow to even more f***ing slower, like they literally pause two seconds in midair or something, it's awful.

Well, considering they took almost 3 years to turn up to WW1 and over 2 years for WW2, I hardly consider an extra 2 seconds to wait is anything to gripe about.

:cap_rambo:

Players
662 posts
11,080 battles

That is nothing until you see how much ammunition costs for NC:cap_happy:. Anyway, NC does have some strong points, and i hope grind will not be too hard. It is always hard with the new ships, in BB line.

Supertester
2,842 posts
4,770 battles

Have you ever played Cleveland? Sorry, couldn't resist :Smile_trollface:

Anyway, the shell speed is a small price to pay for the combination of dispersion and sheer destructive power per shell. I pulled a quadra-citadel on another NC at 15km, and citadel plus another 15k damage in normal pens on a Yamato at 17km. If you're trying to snipe cruisers that might be the issue, but a bit of practice and these guns really sing. Plus you can build crazy stealth and get unseen into ranges where flight time hardly matters. That's why you shouldn't assess on just one trait, the whole package makes up for the weakness.

Players
1,245 posts
9,387 battles

With the NC you just need to get close. Full concealment build, and play right around there. Basically ignore about half of your max range.

It's a very strong ship.

[-GBF-]
Players
769 posts
3,620 battles

The guns and shells on the NC, the Iowa and the Missouri are in my own opinion are some of the best if not the best in the game. I love how powerful they can be. That said these guns reward good aim also i do find that more lead is needed from time to time. 

One of my clan mates swears by the NC. She is that good. 

1 hour ago, Exocet6951 said:

They take some getting used to, but once you do, those sweet plunging 16" shells just don't **** around.

Stick with them a bit longer, get the engine upgrade and B hull ASAP,and the NC will start showing you her true colors.
Don't bother with the FCS upgrade, honestly I don't even plan on unlocking it even after I'm down grinding to the Iowa.

Yup b hull is a must. 

[JUNK]
[JUNK]
Beta Tester
1,933 posts
8,398 battles

Havent played NC, but Alabama has some of the best BB guns tier for tier I have ever used. And thats coming from someone used to IJN BB shells like Izumos insanely fast shells.

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles

if you have problems with the shell travel time, take it as a hint that you're too far away from the enemy... might seem like generic advice, but it's particularly true for the NC with its 11.8km concealment (if you're not using that you're doing something seriously wrong with that ship...)

Players
1,806 posts
5,868 battles
27 minutes ago, VC381 said:

Have you ever played Cleveland? Sorry, couldn't resist :Smile_trollface:

Yes, and I'm one of those weirdos that HATE Cleveland. And Atlanta.

23 minutes ago, jss78 said:

With the NC you just need to get close. Full concealment build, and play right around there. Basically ignore about half of your max range.

It's a very strong ship.

Yup, I agree that that really seems to be the case.

3 minutes ago, Affeks said:

Havent played NC, but Alabama has some of the best BB guns tier for tier I have ever used. And thats coming from someone used to IJN BB shells like Izumos insanely fast shells.

I had a Yamato for quite some time now even if I haven't played her too much but yeah, I feel that even NC deals more consistent damage than IJN BBs, I like that a lot from USN BBs, but I hate ships with slow shell speeds like Cleveland or Atlanta as said before. But well, at least I agree that NC is pretty stealthy with the build and a ship with which you can get close to mitigate the shell flight time and get away with it unlike cruisers.

[CAIN]
Players
4,487 posts
18,943 battles

When i first unlocked the NC, i was disappointed as well because i couldn't make her work.

My stats for this ship for the first 50 or so games were abysmal and that's very generous considering my New York ( a ship i played by not sitting in front of the screen or while studying) stats were better and New Mex and Colorado were nearly 3 times better.

It took me a while to get used to that ship and now it's one of my favorite BBs and despite the fact that german BBs are the chic now, i'd still take her into ranked any day of the week over any other TVIII BB with the Amagi being a very close second.

I suggest you play her for a while in coop before getting back to randoms.

She also performs better when being somewhat closer to the target, tho over extending should be avoided.

• Cool 1

Players
1,806 posts
5,868 battles
7 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

When i first unlocked the NC, i was disappointed as well because i couldn't make her work.

My stats for this ship for the first 50 or so games were abysmal and that's very generous considering my New York ( a ship i played by not sitting in front of the screen or while studying) stats were better and New Mex and Colorado were nearly 3 times better.

It took me a while to get used to that ship and now it's one of my favorite BBs and despite the fact that german BBs are the chic now, i'd still take her into ranked any day of the week over any other TVIII BB with the Amagi being a very close second.

I suggest you play her for a while in coop before getting back to randoms.

She also performs better when being somewhat closer to the target, tho over extending should be avoided.

I'll have to reenable the training room after a long time again I guess. Last year I was a quite heavy co-op player but I had my experiences with T8+ co-op. :Smile-_tongue: It's not worth to lose tons of credits just for practicing there with a T8. Thanks for the advice though, I'll do that. :cap_like:

Players
3,379 posts
4,920 battles
2 hours ago, SHDRKN4792 said:

I never though I'd say this but I miss the Colorado, it's better than this thing, at least you can hit something.

can expect nothing about this, but really, is it me the only one that thinks that even if it's historically inacurate NC should have in game the same shell speed as all other 406 mm USN guns just so it's a more confortable and uniform grind? What do you guys think?

Nope, Colorado is not better then NC. Not even in dreams. NC hits prety hard. You need to learn to aim better. When you get some experience (or IF), you will see how much NC is fun to play.
NC is my most played ship.

Yea, you might be the only one.

Players
3,379 posts
4,920 battles
57 minutes ago, jss78 said:

It doesn't require to fight at close ranges at all.

I play her close, mid, even long rage without any problems. Sometimes get citadels with her on 20 km distance.

Players
1,806 posts
5,868 battles
2 minutes ago, Hades_warrior said:

Nope, Colorado is not better then NC. Not even in dreams. You need to learn to aim better. When you get some experiece (or IF), you will see how much NC is fun to play.
NC is my most played ship.

Yea, you might be the only one.

And NC being your most played ship proves what? Does it have shells as fast as the others for that? No. You got used to it and you like it. Good for you, but that's all. People like different playstyles or characteristics on their ships other that those you do. So calm down and try to argument something more relevant next time.

Sign in to follow this