Sign in to follow this  
smoothpop1

how can i improve?

7 comments in this topic

Players
6 posts
1,343 battles

so i played the game some 200ish battles in beta but quit as i didn't like how CVs were so i didn't carry on playing.

after getting sick of tanks i wanted to give wows a new take. so far im finding CVs to be not as terrifying as they were in beta and playing a few battles in one has given me an insight into how to deal with them, and i feel like im starting to get a hang of things. i feel im doing fairly well in my Wyoming though i would like to get better, i just dont find i hit much unless i get in real close.

i feel im getting a sense of which ammo is best in which situation and unless im wasting ammo against DDs at 12km im getting fairly good at aiming.

recently i have been playing the t3 british celedon and i must say i find it quite fun. i try to pick a flank and either fight it out or run away (if i see a BB i tend to run while i feel i can outdo most CAs and CLs that i encounter). anyway im hoping to get some insight into how to improve my play heres a link to my 2 most recent celedon replays and i was hoping i could get some honest and constructive feedback on what im doing wrong and what im doing right where i can improve and how better to impact the battle.

https://replayswows.com/replay/3193

https://replayswows.com/replay/3195

thanks in advance for any advice its much appreciated

Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
666 posts
5,396 battles

Watch Ichase's captains academy and you will understand more of the game mechanics, then its just a case of applying that to your gameplay ^^ In general look for guides and YT vids, as they help ALOT

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles

Generally just go watch some YT and Twitch.

Flamu, Ichase, Aerroon, Notsers older videos, as well as many other people doing WoWS videos - all of those would most likely help to at least with the general idea

[HOO]
Players
1,900 posts
3,736 battles

Consider joining a clan that takes noobs, you can learn alot from experienced players and have alot of fun along the way

Players
1,059 posts
7,793 battles

You were overusing torpedoes in the replays, often shooting torps at targets that were plainly out of range and in situations where trying to torp is not a good idea. Examples for bad torps that were in range are that broadside Tenryu (huge lead means plenty of opportunities to turn away and he was showing broadside for you to rain effective citadels on him) and the 800 hp Kolberg (that's just 1-2 salvos with guns, faster to kill him with those. Kolberg armor is paper and she is very vulnerable to British AP, which fuzes fast enough not to overpen). You also should not torp targets that are driving away from your ship, as those tend to run out the torps. One good use for torps is against BBs at extremely close range. This kind of torp yolo works against lone BBs that are driving towards you; it tends to go badly if they have support or are driving the other way.

Try to play together with friendly ships and look for flanking opportunities when possible.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles
On 12.8.2017 at 5:54 PM, smoothpop1 said:

i feel im doing fairly well in my Wyoming though i would like to get better, i just dont find i hit much unless i get in real close.

Have you enabled Alternative view for more information?

Shell flight time to aiming point is the most important part for hitting targets from longer range.

Once you learn correct lead for certain type (size&speed) target at say 5s flight time you can scale necessary lead for other shell flight times from that.

Shell flight time based leading works when changing ships unlike trying to lead by target's distance.

(different guns have different shell speed and varying flight time to same range)

This lists nicely things needed in leading:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tAWN32AnZY

Ships with faster firing guns like cruisers are good for learning gunnery.

Though with their good ballistics battleships are actually good at hitting even faster targets from 10+ km, except for shell dispersion.

And there you just have to pray for RNGesus.

One minute you can be consistently citadelling full speed running cruisers from 15+ km and next minute you'll have hard time in hitting stationary side showing battleship 10km away.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this