You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Yankmyplank

Is fire damage OP?

174 comments in this topic

[OCTO]
Players
111 posts
18,746 battles

Playing BB's in this game means being put on fire a lot! being reduced from full health to nothing in no time, yet I have searched records and can find no instance of a warship being destroyed by fire except ships made from wood!

Now I know there are arguments for game play yet torpedoes sunk many ships yet by comparison they are a lot harder to hit with and the reload times means ships can repair the flooding.

What are the thoughts of the community on this? I think myself that fire damage should not do the damage it does, maybe lower the fighting ability of the ship like 1 fire 10% reduction to aiming spotting speed and concealment 2 fires 20% reduction and so on, while the HE element is so OP (in my opinion) the AP is so random I can see why so many BB players now only shoot HE many a battle I can have 50 hits with AP on broadside ships only to get 4 pens 23 ove pens and 23 non pens. with a 30% chance of causing fire in no time you can rack up 30k damage, fast firing cruisers often do twice the damage of BBs because of this.

So whats your thoughts? this thread is in no way intended to give the impression I want all HE nerfed because I do want all ship types to have a place, but maybe ships that struggle to pen could actually get real rewards for spotting damage, so far team play without much damage nets you nothing which encourages selfish play.

Players
4,154 posts
9,221 battles

Fire is not the worst thing that can happen to you. First you can repair all of damage done by fire, second you have lot of skills to prevent fires and reduce their impact .

But i bet you put out first fire that was set to you and you died like typical BBaby driver

• Cool 8

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
5,081 posts
11,131 battles
8 minutes ago, Yankmyplank said:

Playing BB's in this game means being put on fire a lot! being reduced from full health to nothing in no time, yet I have searched records and can find no instance of a warship being destroyed by fire except ships made from wood!

You might have to reconsider that statement.
The HMS Sheffield burnt down after being hit by a missile which didn't even explode during the Falklands war.

• Cool 2

[HALON]
Players
633 posts
10,224 battles
9 minutes ago, Yankmyplank said:

Now I know there are arguments for game play yet torpedoes sunk many ships yet by comparison they are a lot harder to hit with and the reload times means ships can repair the flooding.

What are the thoughts of the community on this? I think myself that fire damage should not do the damage it does, maybe lower the fighting ability of the ship like 1 fire 10% reduction to aiming spotting speed and concealment 2 fires 20% reduction and so on, while the HE element is so OP (in my opinion) the AP is so random I can see why so many BB players now only shoot HE many a battle I can have 50 hits with AP on broadside ships only to get 4 pens 23 ove pens and 23 non pens. with a 30% chance of causing fire in no time you can rack up 30k damage, fast firing cruisers often do twice the damage of BBs because of this.

So whats your thoughts? this thread is in no way intended to give the impression I want all HE nerfed because I do want all ship types to have a place, but maybe ships that struggle to pen could actually get real rewards for spotting damage, so far team play without much damage nets you nothing which encourages selfish play.

In my opinion He damage on battleships there not to sink them but to make them disengage and repair. At least that is what I expect when I drive an he spamming cruiser.

So, as a BB driver subjected to he spam, never repair when you have only a single fire on you. When you have two, disengage and when you have put some distance between you and the enemy cruisers, repair while changing direction often. 

Keep an eye on you health too.

No need to nerf fire damage, really. 

[OCTO]
Players
111 posts
18,746 battles

why jump straight in with the insults? what are you scared of that you have to start out by insults?

For your information I play all ship types, my 1st tier X was a DD and 2nd was a CA so no I do not exclusively play BB's I never play CV's so if your going to neg rep my ability then do it with CV's As for putting out fires I only do that if my health is so low I might not survive another salvo, or the ship that was putting me on fire is either dead or otherwise engaged. 

[-TFD2]
Players
1,473 posts
3,285 battles
2 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

this topic again??? I will IGNORE IT.

You failed. 

Addendum: Fire damage is okay. Nerf that and we might as well not have cruisers anymore in this meta.

• Cool 2

[-TFD2]
Players
1,473 posts
3,285 battles
4 minutes ago, Yankmyplank said:

why jump straight in with the insults? what are you scared of that you have to start out by insults?

For your information I play all ship types, my 1st tier X was a DD and 2nd was a CA so no I do not exclusively play BB's I never play CV's so if your going to neg rep my ability then do it with CV's As for putting out fires I only do that if my health is so low I might not survive another salvo, or the ship that was putting me on fire is either dead or otherwise engaged. 

It is just that the Fire damage topic has been discussed to death in threads that pop up roughly once in a month.

Everybody is pretty much sick of it by now when this topic reemerges.

It really is nothing personal. Carry on.

• Cool 1

[OCTO]
Players
111 posts
18,746 battles
7 minutes ago, Exocet6951 said:

You might have to reconsider that statement.
The HMS Sheffield burnt down after being hit by a missile which didn't even explode during the Falklands war.

Err maybe you need to update your information, A royal navy investigation later confirmed the warhead detonated inside the sheffield

[-TFD2]
Players
1,473 posts
3,285 battles
4 minutes ago, Yankmyplank said:

Err maybe you need to update your information, A royal navy investigation later confirmed the warhead detonated inside the sheffield

Just like Shells packed with explosives do. 

IRL HE spam may not sink a battleship, but it can make it blind, deaf and defenseless by destroying optics, rangefinding equipment, guns, radar and radio masts, etc.

If memory serves right this happened to one of the SoDaks against the IJN. Luckily for her she was saved by friendlies.

[OCTO]
Players
111 posts
18,746 battles
8 minutes ago, Amon_ITA said:

In my opinion He damage on battleships there not to sink them but to make them disengage and repair. At least that is what I expect when I drive an he spamming cruiser.

So, as a BB driver subjected to he spam, never repair when you have only a single fire on you. When you have two, disengage and when you have put some distance between you and the enemy cruisers, repair while changing direction often. 

Keep an eye on you health too.

No need to nerf fire damage, really. 

Except now its not just cruisers but BB's spamming HE, I get using HE when bow on but some continually fire and if equal or higher tier their is no running, 30% chance of fire from BB shells is a pain in the backside tbh.

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,979 posts
7,359 battles

If you die because of fire, you're not using your DCP properly, or you overextend, or you don't use a properly skilled captain.

In any case you deserves to sink.

Fire is the least of the issues for a battleship. At most it's annoying.

[OCTO]
Players
111 posts
18,746 battles
2 minutes ago, Kazomir said:

Just like Shells packed with explosives do. 

IRL HE spam may not sink a battleship, but it can make it blind, deaf and defenseless by destroying optics, rangefinding equipment, guns, radar and radio masts, etc.

Thats exactly my point HE would be better served to reduce a ships fighting ability player that caused the fire could get experience for damage that ship takes while under the effects of fire

Players
2,240 posts
8,431 battles

Fire damage is not OP per se. That's a perception you can have because it usually comes along with lot of HE that further increases damage received or, in worst cases, along with a heavy focus fire due to an overextended position. In some cases you can disengage and heal back a good chunk of the HP lost, but in other ones you will merciless sunk

"Git gud" is the answer here: learn map positioning and to manage the heals and the damage control (even then, RNGesus can troll you with permafire after a good planned damage control was used :Smile_sceptic:)

[-TFD2]
Players
1,473 posts
3,285 battles
3 minutes ago, Yankmyplank said:

Thats exactly my point HE would be better served to reduce a ships fighting ability player that caused the fire could get experience for damage that ship takes while under the effects of fire

WG chose to simplify the game by depicting fighting ability as HP. 

I would too rather fires decrease accuracy and targeting when damaging sensors, but this will make the game too complicated for the WG target audience.

Players
920 posts
11,130 battles
31 minutes ago, Yankmyplank said:

yet I have searched records and can find no instance of a warship being destroyed by fire except ships made from wood!

fire.thumb.png.4832b7d333bd36bd26d6eb781d59d0e5.png

• Cool 3

[OCTO]
Players
111 posts
18,746 battles

lots of talk about over extending and such but the truth to that statement is situational factors like later stages of battle enemy close to capping so have to engage, but yes early on in battle to disengage by retreat or using islands is best option, but we are not always afforded that luxury. Retreating relocating is impossible if you are heavily outnumbered HE then just removes any skill of angling as fire does not care where the ship is pointing. I never said I wanted fires to stop just I would prefer less damage and reduced abilities instead

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,979 posts
7,359 battles
5 minutes ago, Yankmyplank said:

lots of talk about over extending and such but the truth to that statement is situational factors like later stages of battle enemy close to capping so have to engage, but yes early on in battle to disengage by retreat or using islands is best option, but we are not always afforded that luxury. Retreating relocating is impossible if you are heavily outnumbered HE then just removes any skill of angling as fire does not care where the ship is pointing. I never said I wanted fires to stop just I would prefer less damage and reduced abilities instead

You don't have any skill anyway. So it's not like HE can make it worse.

• Cool 2

Players
2,199 posts
14,266 battles
38 minutes ago, Yankmyplank said:

Nop. Fire is ok. Another BBaby noob whit idiotic whine. Fire should reduce speed. Torpedo hit sould increas reload time......why I why so many morons play BBs?

[BLAST]
[BLAST]
Players
763 posts
12,484 battles

I thought HE fire spam had already been nerfed. T2 High alert, Jack of all Trades, T3 Basics of Survivability and T4 Fire Prevention commander skills might help.

Players
2,199 posts
14,266 battles
32 minutes ago, Yankmyplank said:

Lol

Screenshot_2017-08-12-13-35-25.png

[OCTO]
Players
111 posts
18,746 battles
4 minutes ago, ShinGetsu said:

You don't have any skill anyway. So it's not like HE can make it worse.

its not like your anything other than rude and ignorant

Players
1,285 posts
7,092 battles

Thank you OP! Since the current BBaby Complaint Bingo is outdated (for example "Stealth-firing should be removed") I decided to make a new one, but wasn't sure what to implement on it.