IsamuKondera

So when are you guys going to remove Tears of the Desert with Epicenter?

49 comments in this topic

Modder, Supertester
1,285 posts
11,283 battles

Some weeks ago WG said that they know that Tears of the Desert and Epicenter isn't really a popular map & mode combination but since then we never heard anything about it. We still have this combination ingame and I wonder myself just why we still have this ingame? They could remove ocean but they can't remove this combination? Why?

I just wonder how long it takes to simply get one map/mode combination out of the MM. This can't be sooo hard afterall.

They can afterall still work on this map although it's not part of the MM. At least not in the Epicenter mode...

• Cool 11

[CAIN]
Players
4,487 posts
18,933 battles

Epicenter is a mode that only would work on an ocean map variant where the outer circle defines the map size.

• Cool 2

Players
1,059 posts
7,793 battles
38 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

Epicenter is a mode that only would work on an ocean map variant where the outer circle defines the map size.

Epicenter works pretty nicely in Trident. I wouldn't object to having Epicenter mode in the new Ranked map either.

Players
671 posts
2,371 battles
1 hour ago, Xevious_Red said:

Epicentre is the worst mode there is. I preferred Bastion to this.

Epicentre as a mode isn't so much the problem, Tears of the Desert and Okinawa ie: higher tier maps are very open and add to the camping meta, no one wants to push in or can maneuver using cover to avoid being focus fired as no one wants to risk being first into the fire and being sunk. So you get a lot of T9/10 matches which are decided in the first 5 minutes with the BBs sitting in the corner whle the rest of the team getting obliterated. 

Players
1,806 posts
5,868 battles

YES please. That mode in that map in particular it's just awful. Specially since it's a high tier map and how the map is. Having most of the time 15 minutes of everyone behind one of the shitton of islands everywhere or the map covered in smoke the second anyone attempts to do any push because lately everyone an his mother has smoke since RN cruisers it's one of the most retarded things I've seen in this game. Everytime I see the combination of Tears of the Desert with Epicenter I just want to die.

[BONI]
Players
1,257 posts
12,064 battles

I don't even mind epicenter on the other maps since they give you some bit of cover to get behind as a capper, but on the high tiers with all the radar and the long-range torps and the Zaos and Kutuzovs and Belfasts and 11km secondaries and 6-squad carriers? My heart sinks when I'm the DD that has to cap that thing in the open, especially as a t7. Get rid of it.

Players
1,054 posts
2,644 battles

Always hated epicentre for two reasons. First, its a crass attempt to force a brawling gameplay. Second, some dont get the idea that you need to be inside the rings in order to control/take them. Sitting on the outside all game and not even trying to take control wont work.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
2,989 posts
11,482 battles
4 hours ago, Xevious_Red said:

Epicentre is the worst mode there is. I preferred Bastion to this.

Now now, let us not rush things. Bastard-gamemode was truly horrible .... the Atlantc still triggers me when I only do so much as see this map comming up next!

Yeah, "Tears of the Cruiser" mixed with (on this map) "Epicentre of Stupidity". What a concoction! Its even better when you are in a <16 km cruiser. You dont even have the gunrange to hit the enemy island, let alone the long range c. strockers behind them. Ofc you will see nothing to shoot at anyway. Try to go out and check if you can collect the whole enemy team targeting you with PA? Well only 10 really: Only 10 because 2 others are also shitty <16 km cruiser that cant target you no matter how much they would like.  Yep this map in cruisers against BBs with 17-18 km of effective gun range - WG at its best.

4 hours ago, MasaruKondera said:

I just wonder how long it takes to simply get one map/mode combination out of the MM. This can't be sooo hard afterall.

Well it took them a year for the Bastard gamemode; and the final straw to finally get rid of them was the constant Kraken-forts after the latest buff to them. :Smile_smile:  

btw: Every thread about this topic need this:

#FunAndEngaging   #BalancedBoats    #KempBush   #UnfairPlane   #Bastardion    #JudgementDayCantComeFastEnough

• Cool 1

Players
728 posts

Would this map and mode be rescued by placing an island in the middle of the epicentre and by pushing the existing islands further out?

It's not like map design is rocket science, is it?

A few tweaks here and there and it might well be fine. Not the best map and mode ever, but at least more fun to play than the current version.

Beta Tester
4,834 posts
20,186 battles

I want Epicenter for ALL maps and ALL tiers. Everybody shall suffer!

Just imagine Epicenter on "Two Brothers", centered on the middle of the channel between the two big islands... the lulz that could be have there!

• Cool 2

[4_0_4]
Players
7,588 posts
13,776 battles

Let the Epicenter on this map start with a cyclon, so that the island sniping is not worth it.

Not really

[PN4VY]
Players
75 posts
16,138 battles
59 minutes ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

Just imagine Epicenter on "Two Brothers", centered on the middle of the channel between the two big islands... the lulz that could be have there!

I want to see this just for lulz

WG MAKE IT HAPPEN

Players
1,806 posts
5,868 battles
1 hour ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

I want Epicenter for ALL maps and ALL tiers. Everybody shall suffer!

You mean the same as always? Because a battle there is not a battle until someone gets demolished there achieving absolutely nothing regardless of the game mode.

[SLAPP]
Players
1,382 posts
8,686 battles

i hope they will remove this tho both the map and game mode

[POMF]
Beta Tester
1,987 posts
4,242 battles

To be honest I don't really like most high tier maps. Mountain range, Okinawa and Tears of the Desert are extremely open which leads to teams camping because nobody wants to push into everyones guns. Especially cruisers can't be aggresive because they'll just get shat on by BBs due to lack of cover, which in turn lets DDs reign supreme in the center, and then the baBBies come to the forums to complain. They could all use a redesign.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,703 posts
11,894 battles

I really like Epicenter. But it happens to be THE mode that brings out the worst out of the already awful map the TotD is.

On another note: I wonder if TotD would still be quite as bad with horizontal or diagonal spawns, so that the island chains would define some routes rather than fortifications that give off a very strong impression that could be summed up by "here's your wall, your job is sitting behind it to minimize the incoming damage while shooting on any enemy dumb enough to show themselves". Regardless of how successful that strategy really is, this is exactly what TotD currently encourages - and while Domination at least draws people to the side caps, Epicenter simply reinforces this approach further, because there's nothing to be found in the open sides of the map...

• Cool 2

Players
1,806 posts
5,868 battles
On 12/8/2017 at 0:11 AM, Verdius said:

To be honest I don't really like most high tier maps. Mountain range, Okinawa and Tears of the Desert are extremely open which leads to teams camping because nobody wants to push into everyones guns. Especially cruisers can't be aggresive because they'll just get shat on by BBs due to lack of cover, which in turn lets DDs reign supreme in the center, and then the baBBies come to the forums to complain. They could all use a redesign.

I can guess the next idea for a high tier maps. Some islands that cross the whole map from north to south high enough that no ship can shoot over them in a perfect line, dividing each ship that spawn and make a one vs one arena. Doesn't look that much worse than what they hope to force with those crap maps at high tiers as you said. :Smile_sceptic:

On a serious note I agree with you that maps with huge open areas with tons of island to use as cover concentrated in small points are awful, and that's in what consist most of high tier specific maps. I'd love to see an expanded Solomon Islands for high tiers, it would be way better than some of those maps combined. They could really just do that, stick to the design of some great low tier maps, make them bigger if they want to keep those huge maps so everyone can camp at their hearts content but those huge open areas in every map that try to force you to sail without any cover at all are stupid.

• Cool 1

Players
4,389 posts
12,087 battles

I love the Ocean map. Only map in which at least something of naval tactics are valid instead of the 'island pussies spamming HE' But I do agree: TOD is the least suited map for Epicenter. For the epicenter I'm having a neutral opinion: neither like it, nor hate it.  But on TOD map it totally sucks IMO. The most boring tedious camping matches ever... I'm always inclined to take my loss and head straight back to port. When I want to get annoyed I'll fill in my tax forms. Much more fun than this abomination. Don't get me wrong: standard or domination I highly like this map. But epi center?! I'd wish that epicenter was right under the location of the server.....

Players
1,154 posts
18,654 battles

A thread about Epicentre and Tears of the Desert? Well, I think I'll use here my catchphrase in open chat whenever that combination happens: "epicentre again, I'm in tears :P". It's an awful pairing, and the funniest thing is that I usually end up in it with my Shimakaze (if I say that 16 or more of my last 20 games with her in that map have been in that mode I won't be far from the truth). Not so often with my other ships though, so I've been fearing to use her lately because I feel she's doomed to encounter it if I take her out of port.

As others have already pointed out, the problem is neither the map (not a good map, true, but in domination is at least playable, and a variation of it with spawns to SW and NE as suggested by eliastion would be worth trying) nor the mode alone (like Agantas, I like it in Trident and also did  in Warrior's Path during the 6th ranked season), but both combined. Oh, man, when they go together it's painful, no matter which kind of ship you use.

Salute.

P.S.: Although a problem with eliastion's proposal is the (very likely) situation of both teams pushing/lemming to their same respective flank (left or right), so they take the cap in that area and then it becomes Tears of the Desert Epicentre 2.0, since A (now to NW) and C (SE) are hold by each team and the barriers stand between them and B (still in the middle).

[DAVY]
Players
525 posts
8,341 battles

Yep hate it, it's a terrible camp fest where there are no fun choices. Frankly an embarrassment that this got through testing.