27 members have voted

1. 1. Ashitaka (rumored A-hull Amagi with Mutsu-like torps at tier 7) vs. Kii

• Ashitaka
    • Kii

21 comments in this topic

Players
723 posts
5,774 battles

I just read a very unconfirmed rumor somewhere that they're in some early stage of testing for the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kii-class_battleship 

According to wikipedia, it should be a near exact copy of the Amagi, but with more armor and less speed: "The Kii class was based largely on the preceding Amagi-class battlecruisers, which were in turn based on a less-armored Tosa-class design. The only major difference between the Kiis and Amagis was their speed and armor - the Amagis were faster, and the Kiis had a thicker belt. Despite this lineage, the Kiis were classified as "fast battleships" by the Japanese, as they had decided to end the distinction between "battleship" and "battlecruiser"."

It was designed in the early 1920s (a.k.a. tier 5 to 6). In reality it would have had 8 torpedo launchers (most likely the fixed ones, 4 per side) and only the Nagato and Amagi-like secondary guns and only a total of 4 AA guns. What you see in the pictures (dual-purpose turrets and cruiser-like torpedo launchers) are complete fiction.

Is this good, or would you still prefer the rumored A-hull Amagi? Link

uzlRyjQ.jpg 

598b4512cf40b_20746404_1426014780814880_

https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2017/08/09/wows-0-6-10-tier-8-premium-japanese-battleship-kii-stats/

Edited to add more info.

Edited by SmartassNoob

Players
723 posts
5,774 battles

Well I did search the forum before posting and did not find a dedicated Kii thread. Kii had only been mentioned in a few threads about potential premiums.

Supertester
2,842 posts
4,770 battles

This looks very nice, they put effort into the model rather than copy-pasting a Nagato bridge and Yamato funnel. Amagi is great and this doesn't look that different. My issue here is that it's T8, with the high purchase cost and crappy MM that comes with. Not to be a stick in the mud, but I would personally still prefer Ashitaka at T7, not so much because of the stock hull gimmick, but because it would be T7. I am unlikely to buy this, since I have Amagi and I'm not actively progressing the IJN BB line. I don't need a premium in this line for the sake of training or premium bonuses, I want either a ship that gives me something the rest of the line doesn't, or one to replace a silver ship (the kind I might like to keep but am too lazy to train a captain for) when I move on from it. This isn't really the first and I'm not planning to do the second (at T8 at least) so...

Still, aside from my own preferences, nevertheless a beautiful ship and great addition to the game! :Smile_great:

• Cool 1

[SERBS]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,402 posts
8,255 battles

:etc_swear: :cap_money:

[JUNK]
[JUNK]
Beta Tester
1,933 posts
8,398 battles

Finally the high tier IJN BB we've been looking for. Wallet is ready

Players
234 posts
1,188 battles

Those torp firing arcs look delicious.

Far better than those on Mutsu.

Not to mention more workable due to being a triple tube launcher.

Players
2 posts

I'm not looking forward to it at all. as a gun platform she will be very disappointing. turret armor, traverse, range and sigma is garbage. Lots of straddles and waiting too long between shots and no shots on the fly and for what? weaker torpedo defense and 20mm more armor? Nope I'll pass unless they fix it proper

[JUNK]
[JUNK]
Beta Tester
1,933 posts
8,398 battles
6 hours ago, Travis_Bartlett said:

I'm not looking forward to it at all. as a gun platform she will be very disappointing. turret armor, traverse, range and sigma is garbage. Lots of straddles and waiting too long between shots and no shots on the fly and for what? weaker torpedo defense and 20mm more armor? Nope I'll pass unless they fix it proper

I agree.

If I remember Mutsu had terrible RoF and Traverse till just before launch where they gave her average traverse and RoF instead

Players
1,130 posts
2,558 battles

Looks like it will be worryingly P2W at T8 unless they utterly blitz the ship on her soft stats, being almost strictly better than the Amagi. I had always assumed the Kiis would be T9 ships, as befitting their place as the next generation of capital ships of Japan.

However, the Kiis as stock could work at T8, although they would be very tricky to use due to their original design only having a small collection of 120mm guns for AA.

Either way, I would also prefer it if they used the name "Owari", which would then free up the full name of the class for a potential tech tree version later. It's not as if any of them had any kind of service history to worry about, so there's no point not taking the safer option of not claiming the nameship.

[JUNK]
[JUNK]
Beta Tester
1,933 posts
8,398 battles
On 22.8.2017 at 8:10 PM, RamirezKurita said:

Looks like it will be worryingly P2W at T8 unless they utterly blitz the ship on her soft stats, being almost strictly better than the Amagi.

Not true, the dispersion, reload, gun handling and armor layout are all worse. I've been talking to people about Kii and right now it looks like a waaaay worse Amagi with Torps.. thats it... no real reason to buy her and anything from p2w yet. Expect it to be buffed though.

On 22.8.2017 at 8:10 PM, RamirezKurita said:

I had always assumed the Kiis would be T9 ships, as befitting their place as the next generation of capital ships of Japan.

While that is true, they still cant really match up to ships like Iowa. 

The most natural tier 9 for Japan would really be n13 class fast battleships.

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

I watched Flamu's video last night and Kii looks so meh.

The TLDR is that it's an Amagi with LESS armour(thicker belt but thinner citadel), a really weak torp belt, 6km rear mounted torps 2x3 launchers which aren't as good as Tirp's ones and insane AA. Other things remain roughly the same.

Amagi is free and probably does just as well if not better in most battles. Kii will cost £40+... I'll likely give it a miss or play Amagi again.

[SERBS]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,402 posts
8,255 battles

Well since I'm big BB collector and is my favourite class to play... I'll buy it. 

[JUNK]
[JUNK]
Beta Tester
1,933 posts
8,398 battles

So range is being buffed, as well as RoF and Turret traverse to values still worse than Amagi?

Well I think I'll be skipping it unless they buff torps to 8-10 km

Currently Tirpitz beats Kii in both Torpedo volume and quality. While Kii has 900 more damage, Tirpitz's torps are faster and much more stealthy and ofc the extra tube per side. 

I was hyped for this, but the core gamplay design of Kii is all over the place. I'll be waiting till they sort it out.

[DREAD]
Players
9,708 posts
6,864 battles

Not really all over the place even that is what Notser said on his preview. 

It is still an Amagi-kind-of-gameplay but you trade in some armor for torpedos and AA apparently. Sounds like an interesting ship - I like torps as a way to decide close range engagements. So yea, the buffs seem to be needed but afterwards she could be a nice trainer.

Sign in to follow this