You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
TekumzeWolf

Minimap accuracy

16 comments in this topic

Players
118 posts
2,962 battles

I was hoping this would be kinda solved by now considering the number of updates since it first started to bother me but I guess not. Could it be it's just me that gets frustrated by this?

What am I on about? I am talking about islands not on the minimap. There's no telling how many times I "pulled a Notser" in front of a bunch of enemies simply because the minimap doesn't show the island that I hit.

I am fine with me being blind and hitting huge islands. That's my mistake. But when I get beached while running away because there's nothing on the map and the "zoom out" is so limited it becomes really frustrating.

Especially when the siren warning comes up so late that there's no way you can avoid hitting the bloody thing (while other times it's warning you when you're clearly gonna go by without a problem).

Can we please get better maps?

[CAIN]
Players
4,487 posts
18,933 battles

Yeah, WG should really stop throwing random islands in the way of the players. 

On a more serious note, situational awareness is key in this game. And i was pretty sure that the map covers ALL the islands.

The ships aren't exactly fast and nimble jet fighters, so you should have plenty of warning that there are islands around. Leaving the zoom view now and then can greatly improve your awareness of your surroundings.

You can also increase the size of the minimap, tho i do not recommend using the mini map to plot your course.

• Cool 1

Players
118 posts
2,962 battles

Most of the cases where I hit things that really "kills me" is like when I am in a DD or a decently agile cruiser running for my life looking backwards to dodge shells.. then hitting an island not shown on the minimap.

I am OK with hitting an island because I wasn't paying attention...  I would however prefer that the tools at my disposal(like the minimap) would not lie me. As it is the minimap may be useful in some cases but in others it's downright uselss.. or rather.. it pretends to be useful but god forbid you rely on it.

[CAIN]
Players
4,487 posts
18,933 battles

Pls, provide screenshots cause i'm pretty sure that all islands are visible on the minimap.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
5,079 posts
19,876 battles

If you cant see the Islands on the Mini map its probably because you set the mini map TO SMALL.. Make the map Bigger then you can see those pesky Rocks

[CATS]
Players
26,701 posts
14,317 battles

All Islands are shown, but sometimes other Icons/Circles/Names are in the way. These make very small islands hard to see.

Good to know that they are there.

Players
118 posts
2,962 battles
5 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

All Islands are shown, but sometimes other Icons/Circles/Names are in the way. These make very small islands hard to see.

Good to know that they are there.

Hmmm.. never thought of that. I'll pay more attention to it next time. My map size is not default.. it's larger.. but I do have all the range lines turned on and if there are planes it's probably easy for me to miss something.

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
4,046 posts

Live-Server-Map-Creation is the new trend, havn't you heard?

Just to confuse their players and to add new random elements, more and more game developers modify the maps of their games during live battles and contests. This way they make sure that each battle is new and exciting.

:Smile_ohmy:

Alpha Tester
18,781 posts
6,105 battles

Tell them about the map with the Icebergs which WG finally gave hidden engines so they don't just move downstream in a predictable manner but can do a sudden 180 the moment EvilTuccy™ presses his WG_BIAS_RED_BUTTON©.

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,798 posts
6,659 battles
27 minutes ago, mtm78 said:

Tell them about the map with the Icebergs which WG finally gave hidden engines so they don't just move downstream in a predictable manner but can do a sudden 180 the moment EvilTuccy™ presses his WG_BIAS_RED_BUTTON©.

LoL -  that is an interesting concept and ought to be in game - 'dynamic' maps... :)

[ONE2]
Players
3,084 posts
21,495 battles

Hmm a random map generator to create one-off dynamic maps to keep the game ever changing and interesting and each battle quite unique? A brilliant idea! This would be great addition, no more grinding all the same maps over and over again. Would create more emphasis on flexible gameplay and actual battle tactics and the game itself infinitely replayable. Could actually manage to reduce player fatigue and keep the folks interested and playing WoWs for longer than they would otherwise. Super!

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
18,781 posts
6,105 battles

1. The maps would need to 100% symmetrical or people would complain the map generator always puts them on the 'bad' side.

2. Link me to ANY map generator in ANY game which makes 'interesting and balanced maps', and I'm likely to point out some of the map generating parameters which wouldn't fit in a WoWs map.

The concept is nice though, and if you CAN make a map generator which makes balanced and fun maps every time it would be a lot of fun. But it's totally unrealistic at this time, look how problematic it is to create maps from scratch already :Smile_trollface:

What I would like though is for a thread or something where people can submit their own user drawn maps, and accompany them with a brief description of scenery / placement as well as the gameplay options intended to take place on it. Maybe WG will see something they like :Smile_hiding: 

• Cool 1

Players
1,154 posts
18,654 battles
2 hours ago, mtm78 said:

1 hour ago, philjd said:

LoL -  that is an interesting concept and ought to be in game - 'dynamic' maps... :)

53 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

Hmm a random map generator to create one-off dynamic maps to keep the game ever changing and interesting and each battle quite unique? A brilliant idea! This would be great addition, no more grinding all the same maps over and over again. Would create more emphasis on flexible gameplay and actual battle tactics and the game itself infinitely replayable. Could actually manage to reduce player fatigue and keep the folks interested and playing WoWs for longer than they would otherwise. Super!

Pseudorandomly moving covers is an interesting concept indeed. It could be implemented as some kind of neutral, neither damage dealing nor suffering bots, whose autopilot seed is created/fed at the beginning of the match.

25 minutes ago, mtm78 said:

1. The maps would need to 100% symmetrical or people would complain the map generator always puts them on the 'bad' side.

The dynamic cover should be 100% symmetrical, yes, not so much the static one. Take Shards for example: it's not exactly symmetrical, but reasonably enough (open lane to A from northern spawn, similar layout to C from the southern one). So if we add some moving elements to the NW the same elements in shape and size should be doing a mirrored path in SE. Or in Okinawa, whose line of approximate symmetry runs form A1 to J10, an "iceberg" (Okinawans IRL would probably like to encounter one from time to time in order to shred it and make ice creams and whatnot) doing circles clockwise at D7 would have an exact copy at H4 turning counterclockwise.

Of course this is all wishful thinking, but in the same way of the shallow/deep torpedoes' concept, it doesn't seem to be difficult to add into the game code-wise.

Salute.

Alpha Tester
18,781 posts
6,105 battles
1 minute ago, Estaca_de_Bares said:

Pseudorandomly moving covers is an interesting concept indeed. It could be implemented as some kind of neutral, neither damage dealing nor suffering bots, whose autopilot seed is created/fed at the beginning of the match

My moving iceberg mention was in jest, I don't think it would add to dynamic gameplay or much variations considering the speed icebergs float around with irl :Smile_hiding:

Dynamic island placement before the start of a match, IF it can be so you're reasonably assured of 'equal distribution' now that is a very interesting concept. And yes, the symetry necessity is limited to those assets ( anything you can place on a map ) which is dynamic. You can make a 'template' with the basic things which stay the same, and only have 'minor' islands change placement/shape and height. 

This would probably make randoms less of a 'drag' but I am not sure it would fit in a competitive scene. 

Players
1,154 posts
18,654 battles
3 minutes ago, mtm78 said:

My moving iceberg mention was in jest, I don't think it would add to dynamic gameplay or much variations considering the speed icebergs float around with irl :Smile_hiding:

Dynamic island placement before the start of a match, IF it can be so you're reasonably assured of 'equal distribution' now that is a very interesting concept. And yes, the symetry necessity is limited to those assets ( anything you can place on a map ) which is dynamic. You can make a 'template' with the basic things which stay the same, and only have 'minor' islands change placement/shape and height. 

This would probably make randoms less of a 'drag' but I am not sure it would fit in a competitive scene. 

Jest or not, it's still an interesting concept. Ships and speeds aren't on scale with the scenery (twice as big hulls IIRC), so a 10-to-15-knots moving iceberg is not that ridiculous if you think about it. And if you implement it that way, the random island placement over the static template is basically the same, just making their course and speed zero. I agree that it wouldn't fit that well in competitions though.

Salute.

Players
5,638 posts

Minimap accuracy is good but you should know the maps also. Especially "little bitches" like these:

br2fkn3y.jpg

You can't watch the minimap the whole time when it comes to close combat situations.